Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
John32070

How would Shran have fit in as a regular in season 5?

21 posts in this topic

I've heard it mentioned numerous times that had there been a season 4 of Enterprise that Shran would have been a regular on the show on the ship full time. So how exactly was that supposed to work? What would his role have been on the ship? Just curious if the thought process by Coto and co. ever got that far?

I've heard it mentioned numerous times that had there been a season 4 of Enterprise that Shran would have been a regular on the show on the ship full time. So how exactly was that supposed to work? What would his role have been on the ship? Just curious if the thought process by Coto and co. ever got that far?

I think you mean S5 (?). ENT had a S4. :)

And yes, from what I've read online and in print, Shran was supposed to be a regular in the NX-01 crew, had it survived to a 5th season.

My guess is that he might've been some kind of special strategic/tactical guy, like Worf's role in DS9 (which was also never clearly defined, but a lot of fun nevertheless). Worf seemed (to me) a better fit on DS9 than he did on TNG.

By strategical and tactical, I don't necessarily mean he'd replace Reed or the MACOs either; rather he'd advise them on new forms of interstellar combat techniques (TOS/TAS and ENT clearly established the Andorians as a warrior race). Who knows? Many possibilities. The most ironic would be to have him in some sort of ambassadorial role... that'd be great (and hilarious).

I just know that as a huge Jeffrey Combs fan, I wouldn't care if he became the ship's manicure/pedicure officer, so long as he was around every week...

Yeah, I meant season 5. I was watching Trek Nation on Netflix this morning and I guess 3 seasons got stuck in my head.

Yeah, I meant season 5. I was watching Trek Nation on Netflix this morning and I guess 3 seasons got stuck in my head.

Since it was unintentional, I'll change it for you. :)

I often wondered this too. I hope they wouldn't have forced him into Starfleet.

It would have been amazing. Too bad ENT never made its full run... especially since it was just becoming good when it was cancelled.

Some night years back, I remember dreaming Leonard Nimoy and William Shatner had been hired as regulars for a 5th season ... but I guess Combs as Shran would have been even better. ;)

Shatner was rumored to cameo in S5 too, I believe.

Rumor had it that he was going to appear as the mysterious, unseen 'Chef' in the final episode; possibly an ancestor of Jim Kirk.

Either way it sounded like a bit of a dumb idea (not that "These are the Voyages..." was a better idea, but...).

At that time, it didn't even appear *that* far-fetched: Shatner still had a regular role on Boston Legal and Nimoy guest starred on Fringe.

At that time, it didn't even appear *that* far-fetched: Shatner still had a regular role on Boston Legal and Nimoy guest starred on Fringe.

True, but the thought of Shatner as Chef is just ridiculous. Why not just have Nimoy play the janitor at Starfleet headquarters, for goodness' sake?

This is precisely what I mean when I rant on and on about meaningless cameos...

Rumor had it that he was going to appear as the mysterious, unseen 'Chef' in the final episode; possibly an ancestor of Jim Kirk.

Either way it sounded like a bit of a dumb idea (not that "These are the Voyages..." was a better idea, but...).

Really? I thought he was going to play Tiberius (his mirror universe counterpart).

Really? I thought he was going to play Tiberius (his mirror universe counterpart).

I heard that too (that was Berman's original offer, I think), but since the show was ending, they wanted to put Shatner in any way they could and according the "Star Trek Communicator" magazine I believe their 'hail Mary pass' was to offer Shatner the role of Chef. But apparently Berman wouldn't meet Shatner's price tag.

Don't ask me how Shatner's Chef would've fit in.

Either way, I'd have much rather had Shran and a 5th season than Shatner in a pointless cameo.

I remember when Shatner was asked about the Enterprise idea he'd say he didn't even know what the show was (meaning he didn't even know there was a current Trek show on). I never knew if he was kidding or if he was really that oblivious.

I remember when Shatner was asked about the Enterprise idea he'd say he didn't even know what the show was (meaning he didn't even know there was a current Trek show on). I never knew if he was kidding or if he was really that oblivious.

Reminds me of Shatner's line in the 1999 comedy Free Enterprise, "What's Omnicron Ceti 3?" :giggle:

And yes, despite the ghost-written Shatnerverse ST novels (mostly written by Judy & Gar Reeves-Stevens) and the ST fan movies and books about fandom, I don't Shatner is particularly well-versed in Star Trek lore...

Shran would be there to make sure the Pink Skins didn't steal the shield technology that the Andorians loaned to Enterprise...speaking of pink skins, I was waiting for him to call Meyweather that. I was waiting for the line. "Good Job Pink Skin" "Thank you Smurf."

Edited by Toonami Tom

Shran would be there to make sure the Pink Skins didn't steal the shield technology that the Andorians loaned to Enterprise...speaking of pink skins, I was waiting for him to call Meyweather that. I was waiting for the line. "Good Job Pink Skin" "Thank you Smurf."

Yes, I've thought of that too.

I think 'pinkskin' makes for an interestingly humorous human racial epithet, but it's hardly descriptive of humanity as a whole, is it?

If shran was to be added to the main cast,which one of the least used main cast would get even less stories for their character?.

LOL. 

I sort of don't even care.

Shran was that awesome. :)

If shran was to be added to the main cast,which one of the least used main cast would get even less stories for their character?.

My guess is that Travis would've been the sacrificial lamb; he was already terribly underserved on the show.   A shame too; Anthony Montgomery is just about one of the kindest Star Trek cast member I've yet met (and I've met a bunch).   I thought he was good in "Horizon" and a couple of others where he was given something significant to do. 

My guess is that Travis would've been the sacrificial lamb; he was already terribly underserved on the show.   A shame too; Anthony Montgomery is just about one of the kindest Star Trek cast member I've yet met (and I've met a bunch).   I thought he was good in "Horizon" and a couple of others where he was given something significant to do. 

I want to agree but he literally already got just maybe one line each episode in season 4 (another reason why I'm not a fan of that season, Travis IS my favorite *stubborn*) and sometimes not even that, it's almost impossible to give him even LESS...

In movies they're always killing off the character with the least lines. Oh no. In team up shows, it's usually the minority guy who is quirky. Yeah, Travis would have been doomed.