Sign in to follow this  
mr Pointy Ears

Hollywood

All hollywood seems to do lately is to turn comic books heros into movies, or they are doing prequels\sequels and remakes of old tv shows or movies and where they do make a original movie they bombed big time.

Why do they do this for?.

Edit: I'm moving this thread to Hollywood Forum, that's where it belongs. :thumbup:

Frontier   

I'm gonna pin this topic, because my explanation is so good, and it's such a common topic... ;)

Two words: George Lucas.

Seriously, look at the history of the past decade of films and you'll see what I mean.

Prior to 1999's "Phantom Menace" and the entire concept of prequels becoming 'popular' and 'profitable', Hollywood was creating considerably more original works. Remakes where a rare thing. Mission Impossile, for instance, was one of the very few original 'remakes' on the scene.

Post 1999 'Phantom Menace' and the huge box office draw, the entire thought-patterns of studios, execs, directors, and writers softened and changed rather quickly. Remakes, re-imaginings, prequels, sequels, et cetera, all became the 'in thing' to do. It was less risky, since to a degree they had built-in audiences, and because the formula had been tried and tested already.

Now, it's as if that's all we have. Hollywood does churn out a few good original ideas, but not nearly enough, or as many, nor as many high profile, as they did before. And it all links directly back to George Lucas and his financial (if not critical, or sometimes fan) success with the Star Wars prequels.

I mean, before 1999, had most of us ever even heard the word prequel? Not really.

So, if you want someone to blame... Lucas is the man. He made the re-tread market financially viable. And as long as people continue to poor their money into such things, it won't stop. I mean, the industry knows the box office is suffering, but they blame the internet and piracy for that. They don't see the true big picture: that we're tired of the re-tread (and some might add, retard) theatre and we want fresh and new things.

Some of my favorite films - most, actually - are from pre-1999.

A lot of great action films in the late 90's, specifically. The Rock, Con Air, Face Off, Air Force One, just to name a few. At least 60% of my DVD's are pre-1999 just because they where better, typically. More original. Or, if a retread, it wasn't so obvious and half-assed.

Oh, and as for the Superhero thing...

Another two (I think?) words: Spider-Man.

The mega-box-office first weekend draw of $114 million, a record still standing 4 years later, is responsible for the return of the superhero film. Though, I must admit, they do a considerably better job on them lately than they did before. Batman Begins is a prime example. The 90's films had been crashed into the ground. Truly, in modern comparison, the first one was not even that good by many accounts. I digress, though. The technology exists today to do a more 'plausible' superhero film. Spider-Man, Batman, Fantastic Four, X-Men (which also played a key role in the resurgence of the genre) have all done well, finacially, and with the fans. It's only growing, with Superman Returns coming out soon, a Wonder Woman film planned, Batman, Superman, and Fantastic Four sequels, and the potential for future X-Men films after the trilogy completion as well.

The answer for all the remakes is simple: Current Hollywood Producers are lazy.

There philosophy: Why create something new and exciting when we can look in the vault and hack up an older original idea?

Hey, I'm all for remakes if it means that the younger generation can be exposed to the greats. Take Battlestar for example- that's a remake, and it's the best show on TV now.

I don't like 'Prequels' though. Only Enterprise worked.

But for some originality these days, take 'LOST', or 'House'. Both great shows which are completely original.

Frontier   

Hey, I'm all for remakes if it means that the younger generation can be exposed to the greats. Take Battlestar for example- that's a remake, and it's the best show on TV now.

I don't like 'Prequels' though. Only Enterprise worked.

But for some originality these days, take 'LOST', or 'House'. Both great shows which are completely original.

BSG, true, was perhaps the exception to the rule for remakes.

Enterprise, though... it's still under debate if she worked. Some say she did, others she didn't, other still have other opinions. So I wouldn't declare that one decided yet.

Personally, as a series, Enterprise was ok. As a Trek series? It made a lot of mistakes. As a prequel? It likewise, made many errors. The 4th season made much progress and hope, but, alas, we'll never know the end result of it's potential. Which is why the debate rages on...

well holly wood is out of ideas, we need new blood and new people with new ideas, its nice to see remakes of the old tv show, but they get old after a while.

enterprise well if the forth season was done when the series first stared. it still would have been still on. it would have the prequeil it was surpose to be. enought of that old issue.

OK read in this morning's paper that a other classic 80's tv show will be turn into a movie,the star of the series was a black talking car and his best friend who end up playing a lifeguard in the series baywatch.

guess what the show is?.

Guest Redshirt   
Guest Redshirt

I would agree that Hollywood is creatively bankrupt. But the idea of remaking films has been with us for a very very long time. If you look How many times Dracula has been redone..

No matter whats done the original is always the best.

Should they be redone ..no. I feel that's wrong because as a artist that's just cries foul and being utterly lazy.

If they like the story that much why can they put a new twist on it. make New characters and call it something else?

Writers are getting coddled and I believe that's been happening way too much. I used to remember the tales of the starving writer which really doesn't exist anymore. It feels most not all can deliver substandard work ...and that's what you get when You pay 5.50 plus. I think everyone feels we should get our moneys worth. Largely we want something that's new and entertaining.

Younger people with disposable incomes have been the Hollywood aim. I believe once you reach a certain age people wise up and say " Wasn't this movie already done?" Your out of the demographic their selling for at that point.

If Hollywood is so inclined they should release the original in cheap theatres.

Especially the movies Ted Turner wanted to colorize. :rolleyes:

I dont wish Hollywood to go back to the days of Musicals because I would just get sick to my stomach. I loathe anything Animated or not singing in a feature film. Things like this made me change my college major from Film to Art history. It was the fact that Hollywood refuses to take risk. Any Film that is put out is a Financial risk only not a creative one. So what if a studio went bankrupt because of a risk...We'll go the movies when there's something decent.

Guest Scorned   
Guest Scorned

Remarks are a huge waste of time. Only a fool would go out and waste $10 bucks on a movie that he probably already saw and already knows the ending.

If you want a younger generation to see "the classics" then you go show them the ORIGINAL which made it a classic NOT some dumb remake.

Steven "I have never been funny once in my life" Martin as the Pink Panther? Come on! Show them the originals (ie The Omen, The Posseidin Adventure, The Pink Panther, Battlestar Galactica etc".

flight of the phoenix... the original is probalby one of the best movies ever made, IMO.

best remake I ever saw was the new Italian job. they watched the original once, got the general idea, and made their own movie. hardly even a remake.

Tone720   
OK read in this morning's paper that a other classic 80's tv show will be turn into a movie,the star of the series was a black talking car and his best friend who end up playing a lifeguard in the series baywatch.

guess what the show is?.

Knight Rider, which has already had a couple of crap movies (they redesigned KITT to look like a bulky version of a Ferrari, with red-orange paintwork) but that ain't the only one being touted. I keep hearing rumours of an Airwolf movie... with The lady being redesigned.

As far as movies go, the ONLY remake I have seen that was any good was Ocean's 11.

The Crow   

I don't mind remakes (some are great and yes some stink), because for me its all in the interpretation and the ride of viewing that interpretation. I get so lost in a movie that I don't see anything else and its all about how it makes me feel. I love Bram Stokers Dracula ( A Francis Ford Coppola Film). Gary Oldman rocks! I love the whole Spider Man story but I don't like Toby Macguire and I didn't particulary like Spider Man 3. Personal preference. I do appreciate and love the anticipation of a totally new concept but I am not anti to an old one with someone elses spin on it. Sometimes it comes down to not enough money or badly chosen cast members or time factors in telling the story in a credible way that can and will ruin a movie.

I love Bram Stokers Dracula ( A Francis Ford Coppola Film). Gary Oldman rocks!

Totally :)

I love the whole Spider Man story but I don't like Toby Macguire and I didn't particulary like Spider Man 3.

I must say, I thought the first Spider-Man film was pretty good, the second was tolerable, and the third one was a load of crap, which I could barely finish watching. But because the franchise is making loads of $$$, they'll probably keep coming out with more sequels (but I certainly won't be wasting my time of any of them).

I think that the deal with comic-book adaptations is twofold. First of all, they finally have the technological capability to transfer the special effects from the page to the screen. And second, of course, has already been mentioned in this thread - these stories come with ready-made audiences, so even a lousy adaptation will get a good box-office return (even without repeat viewings and before word-of-mouth spreads).

Unfortunately, most of these movies (with a few notable exceptions) tend to sacrifice plot, acting, score and every other aspect of quality cinema for the sake of special effects. E.g., I know lots of people liked Transformers, but I found the movie incredibly boring and actually almost walked out of the theater, because I just couldn't care less how it ends :)

As far as movies go, the ONLY remake I have seen that was any good was Ocean's 11.

Agreed, that was an excellent remake. I also like the first Mission: Impossible (before John Woo and J.J. Abrams sacrificed the intrigue and the spirit of the quintessential "spy movie" for flashy explosions).

kenman   

Hollywood just tapped Tim Burton to remake Dumbo, so I'm fairly certain that there is little left in this barrel to scrape.

Sign in to follow this