Sign in to follow this  
StillKirok

General Marvel Discussion

Good morning - bom dia !!!

Chadwick Boseman Reveals BLACK PANTHER Plot Details; Talks Klaue, Killmonger, Vibranium And More POSSIBLE SPOILERS

Chadwick Boseman spills the beans on what's to come in Black Panther by shedding some light on the setting, characters, plot and much more. Marvel's first "political drama" sounds very cool indeed.

DOCTOR DOOM Solo Movie In Development At 20th Century Fox With LEGION Creator Noah Hawley

This is getting ridiculous. Whats next ? An Aunt May movie ?

Edited by GustavoLeao

SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING Tops WONDER WOMAN With $823M Worldwide; Posts Massive $70.8M Opening In China

The numbers are in and Marvel's Spider-Man: Homecoming has just posted the third largest opening for a superhero movie ever in China with a spectacular $70.8M, which means it's now surpassed Wonder Woman!

2 hours ago, GustavoLeao said:

SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING Tops WONDER WOMAN With $823M Worldwide; Posts Massive $70.8M Opening In China

The numbers are in and Marvel's Spider-Man: Homecoming has just posted the third largest opening for a superhero movie ever in China with a spectacular $70.8M, which means it's now surpassed Wonder Woman!

That's great for Marvel, but it doesn't change my feeling that WW is a far superior film.

But good on Marvel; expect 78 just like it...

2 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

That's great for Marvel, but it doesn't change my feeling that WW is a far superior film.

But good on Marvel; expect 78 just like it...

Yes it is.

On every level.

SM: H, is sort of just that for me. (SMH)  It's fine. It's just their usual empty calorie fare that you won't remember you saw until you come across it on TBS some Saturday at 1 am.

40 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

Yes it is.

On every level.

SM: H, is sort of just that for me. (SMH)  It's fine. It's just their usual empty calorie fare that you won't remember you saw until you come across it on TBS some Saturday at 1 am.

Or it’ll be that movie you’ll be struggling to remember the important points of when the sequel comes out.

This is rapidly happening to me each time a new Marvel movie comes out; I can’t remember which is which, or what happened in which movie.    

Wonder Woman doesn’t have this problem for me, because WW was unforgettable.   Not to many superhero movies I can say that about lately...

I would caution everyone not to engage in the 'vs' mentality. It's not a competition. I understand these are both of the major comic book studios in the world so the rivalry is inherent. I get that. But if we're actually going to compare one to the other from the cinematic perspective, it's quite clear Marvel has had their act together for quite a bit. Sure....Marvel may be a bit formulaic at this point and we've had almost 10 years of it. I see that as building a coherent and cohesive universe. It's necessary for them to strive for a specific vision of how that universe is, how the characters behave, react, etc...Can't do that if one movie has a starkly different tone, language, visual imagery, etc.. than the other. 

I'm happy WW was a hit. DC needed it. I liked the movie ok. Yeah, they emulated(copied?) Marvel's dynamics.  They finally had some humour in it; something that their chief wanker Snyder said the DC movies would never have(moron). Most importantly, they got that character right. For once. Even when they included a sex scene in it(albeit hinted at), it wasn't done at the expense of either character(especially hers). 

The question for me is: was it a fantastic movie or did it look fantastic in comparison to what the other DC movies are? I've only watched it once so maybe a repeat viewing is in order. Yet another aspect of this is...well....geee....Gal Gadot is so easy and enjoyable to look at. That in itself is enough to raise the 'me likey' quotient. :)

7 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Or it’ll be that movie you’ll be struggling to remember the important points of when the sequel comes out.

This is rapidly happening to me each time a new Marvel movie comes out; I can’t remember which is which, or what happened in which movie.    

Wonder Woman doesn’t have this problem for me, because WW was unforgettable.   Not to many superhero movies I can say that about lately...

And I still have interest in Marvel. I'm very wanting to see Black Panther. And the Russos have earned their cred to me, so I trust them to give me a good. if busy by necessity, Avengers.

7 hours ago, Nombrecomun said:

The question for me is: was it a fantastic movie or did it look fantastic in comparison to what the other DC movies are?

It was fantastic in its own right. It was feminist in that it promoted equality without minimizing either side. Jenkins didn't minimize Trevor or his heroism, and that takes some skill when he's sharing screen space with a goddess. The humor flowed nicely while maintaining the seriousness of the backdrop.

Marvel hasn't really done that since Winter Soldier.

Edited by prometheus59650

1 hour ago, GustavoLeao said:

Bah, SPIDER-MAN is a better "comic booky" "Marvel-style" movie.

LOL

Gus

LOL. 

And I think that's my problem: I'm becoming tired of "comic booky" comic book movies.

1 hour ago, prometheus59650 said:

LOL. 

And I think that's my problem: I'm becoming tired of "comic booky" comic book movies.

I second that.  I could NOT see one for a couple years and I think I'd be alright with that.

Adressing Nombrecomun's point above; I'd generally agree that it shouldn't be a competition, but in the world of box office (not to mention competing brands such as DC and Marvel), it kinda IS a competition.  A competition for fans, funds, etc..   Now I agree that it's (of course) perfectly okay to love both brands, but at the end of the day?  It's capitalism.   And DC's almost feverish attempt to catch up to Marvel's early lead was a clear demonstration of the fact that this IS a competition; like it or not.  The studios will play that game and pit their wares against each other whether some of us choose to play along or not...

48 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Now I agree that it's (of course) perfectly okay to love both brands, but at the end of the day?  It's capitalism.   And DC's almost feverish attempt to catch up to Marvel's early lead was a clear demonstration of the fact that this IS a competition; like it or not.  The studios will play that game and pit their wares against each other whether some of us choose to play along or not...

This.

DC's mad rush to catch the Marvel gravy train, quality, quality be damned is illustration of that.

16 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

LOL. 

I guess I understand that up to a certain extent....but it is a comic book, you know? I like the approach. It works both for adults and children. It's a good middle ground. 

The flip side is that I think DC tried not to be 'comic booky' but it failed poorly. Only TDK Trilogy can be done that way since Batman can be grounded in reality. But you can't do that with the rest of that universe, except for The Question. Once you get into magic and flying men...well. 

7 hours ago, Nombrecomun said:

I guess I understand that up to a certain extent....but it is a comic book, you know? I like the approach. It works both for adults and children. It's a good middle ground. 

The flip side is that I think DC tried not to be 'comic booky' but it failed poorly. Only TDK Trilogy can be done that way since Batman can be grounded in reality. But you can't do that with the rest of that universe, except for The Question. Once you get into magic and flying men...well. 

^

This.

MARVEL STUDIOS and Netflix's THE PUNISHER Looks Ready To Kick Some Serious Ass In Badass New Promotional Photo

21731139_10214444711730786_6443434736105

Yay ! I know is an anti hero but I hope he will join THE DEFENDERS.

Gus

1 minute ago, Nombrecomun said:

Whiny Fist

In his mouth while he's stamping his little feet.

Inhumans is on track to be worse and that barely seems possible.

THE PUNISHER Is Coming To Collect In This New Promo For The Marvel/Netflix DAREDEVIL Spinoff Show - Looks Like a Great Adaptation of the Comic Book !

Boa noite ! Good night !

The End Of THE DEFENDERS? Future Marvel TV Shows Are Unlikely To Be Released On Netflix

It appears as if the era of Marvel TV shows on Netflix is nearing its end as a new report on the possible Disney/Fox deal reveals that they'll be heading to Disney's planning online streaming service.. Oh, crap !

Sign in to follow this