Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
StillKirok

General Marvel Discussion

2,143 posts in this topic

The DC casting thread has become a place where we talk about all things DC, so why not have something similar for Marvel?

http://badassdigest.com/2014/12/09/marvel-tried-and-failed-to-get-spider-man-in-captain-america-civil-war/

This is an interesting story.

Basically, Marvel contacted Sony about getting Spidey in the Civil War movies.

This is exactly why I always say that while DC has the better characters, Marvel has the better stories.

I don't necessarily know if Marvel has better WRITERS per se, but those in charge of Marvel have a certain philosophy that really is as the article says, fan friendly.

In some franchises, writers have this smug attitude where they feel that they need to write stories they like, they think is good, change things to suit their purposes, and to hell with fan reaction.

I think DC does that all the time, and Superman has suffered most because of it.

But Marvel is the exact opposite. It's almost as if someone is saying, "what would the fans think is cool, and let's do that."

Because of that attitude, I think we get better stories, and cooler ideas, and that forces other companies like DC to up their game. If Marvel doesn't do Avengers, we wouldn't be seeing Justice League.

Marvel is attempting to do a big storyline in Civil War, and they know Spidey is a major part of that.

So what do they do? They TRY to talk to Sony and get Spidey in the movie.

It didn't work out because Sony isn't as smart as Marvel. Marvel made Sony an offer that could have netted them millions. They turned it down, but the fact that Marvel tried is further evidence that the franchises they control are in good hands. I hope the rights to Spidey run out for Sony soon enough for Marvel to get them back.

I don't necessarily know if Marvel has better WRITERS per se,

Based on their output and the overall quality thereof I think it's fair to say that Marvel has the better writers.

and that forces other companies like DC to up their game.

And they have yet to do so. The more I hear about B v S the less hope I hold out for it.

I think both those points are fair.

But sometimes I wonder if DC has an idiot in charge at the studio, and Marvel doesn't.

Suppose you're a great writer, and have a great idea, but some higher up just nixes it in favor of wanting something different.

There are quite a few comic book fans that post on this site. It's interesting that in all the discussions, I can't think of anyone who made some tremendous defense of Man of Steel like it was the greatest Superman movie ever.

While we may not agree on everything when it comes to Superman, we all seem to feel that Man of Steel is a very flawed movie that just didn't get it.

Here's the kicker--of the rejected scripts, this was the best of the bunch.

How is that even possible with such a great character?

Why aren't they talking to guys like Bruce Timm and Paul Dini, who did a great job with the Superman cartoon?

Some of the ideas that were almost made are unbelievably bad. Like there was one story where Superman dies at the hands of Doomsday, but somehow manages to get Lois pregnant immaculately.

Don't ask me how.

Lois gives birth, and the child ages to 21 in about 3 weeks, and it turns out the kid is Superman, resurrected.

Huh?

Or there was that Abrams script where he has Lex Luthor be a Kryptonian.

Huh?

How does a script like that even get that far?

I do think Marvel's success has forced DC to up their game. They are doing the right move by going with Justice League, though I agree, every piece of information about this movie kind of sucks.

They just need to make wise choices and listen to the right people.

Marvel does that. DC does not.

Or there was that Abrams script where he has Lex Luthor be a Kryptonian.

As I recall, this idea was also explored in "Red Son of Krypton" as well; I found it kind of interesting personally...

But BOT (since this is a Marvel thread...):

Marvel is definitely on its A-game at the moment.

Merging with Disney (like Lucasfilm later) was probably one of the wisest moves the fledgling studio ever made. Some might cry corporate selling out, but let's be honest here; at the end of the day, it's about getting your product out to the public. Marvel seems to just have a smarter business model on how to do this. By merging with Disney, their product can be peddled at Disneyland; where millions of tourists from all over the world come every week.

Not to mention that hiring Joss Whedon was a brilliant move for the Avengers movie.

If anyone knows how to balance a large ensemble of colorful cast members (as he did so deftly in Buffy as well as the underrated Angel & Firefly) it is Joss Whedon. But Whedon, in addition to being a talented/prolific TV producer, also had much comic book savvy (as his continued graphic novel series' of X-Men, and his own Buffy & Firefly adaptations routinely prove). He also has a unique style of dialogue and glib humor ("Whedon-speak") that is as much his personal trademark as Robert Altman's overlapping dialogue in his movies once was. Whedon's dialogue is smart, economical, contemporary, slyly humorous and a delight to the ears. Whedon-speak dialogue is often the opposite of a clunker line.

He has my complete faith for "Age of Ultron."

He's going to knock it out of the park, me thinks...

Marvel deciding to include Agents of Shield in its movie universe was also a novel and very good move.

It allows you to explore facets of your movie universe that while interesting, may not be movie worthy.

It also allows you to do things that might affect the movies, but you wouldn't want to do IN a movie.

For example, Coulson's return from the dead. He's alive and well. They can now explain things in one sentence and bring him into the movies.

You want to know more? Agents of Shield is on netflix.

Tying in Agents of Shield to Captain America was awesome, and I did read somewhere that even Robert Downey is open to appearing on Agents of Shield.

Last night's episode moved the series in a new direction too, revealing one character to be a lesser known Marvel hero.

I'm no expert on Marvel. I know DC much better, but as things go on, I learn.

When you make your TV product well, it causes people to research and maybe buy your comics.

If you think about it though, and I've said this for years, given the nature of comic book movies, where you LITERALLY have decades worth of great stories and character development, how do you make a bad movie?

How is it even possible?

The choices that have to be made by higher ups require a level of ignorance and foolishness that if you have it, you shouldn't be in charge of these kinds of movies.

Yet they happen.

If you think about it though, and I've said this for years, given the nature of comic book movies, where you LITERALLY have decades worth of great stories and character development, how do you make a bad movie?

Because movies and comic books are entirely different media, that's why; each have very different needs.

And what works for one won't necessarily translate to the other.

A comic book needs to appeal only to the faithful, while a movie has to appeal to a mass audience (the non-comic buying public at large). Again, different needs.

Not to mention that times change as well; and what was relevant in a comic book 40-60 years ago won't necessarily ring with any particular truth or urgency today.

Just check out all the humor sites devoted to outdated comic book covers, such as SuperDickery.com or the funny-as-hell panel I attended at 2013 WonderCon called "Sex, Drugs and Rock n' Roll" in comic books, and was basically a slideshow of unintentionally humorous comic book covers that were dead serious in the day, but were utterly hysterical now. They're prime examples of once-great stories (or cover ideas) that are just plain laughable today.

Another way that Marvel is so far ahead of DC is its self-awareness; and its ability to not take itself so dead-seriously as DC too often does. Marvel is aware of its properties' long histories, but it is not particularly slavish to them. It may casually reference them now and then, but it does so with a deft, light touch and not DC's sledgehammered literal-mindedness.

Marvel knows how to adapt well to the times; DC is still learning (despite occasional brilliance like the Nolanverse DK trilogy).

I think talent is talent. Stories do translate well.

A good idea is a good idea.

A movie is basically a 2 hour TV show with a better budget. If anything, a movie should be EASIER to write because you have that budget to tell stories that on TV, would not be affordable.

There's a reason the faithful become the faithful--the stories are good. The characters are good.

Certain things about these characters resonate with people. I find that in many cases, what prevents people from becoming "faithful" is that they just don't know or haven't been bothered to watch.

A smart story will work on any medium.

Yes, you're right--some times change, and Super dickery is actually very funny.

You're not going to do THOSE stories.

But the basis of the characters will work. Superman's origin is still in my opinion, the coolest comic book story ever.

Spidey's origin was followed pretty faithfully, and it works.

Yes, certain stories will not work as the decades pass, but the core of the characters are timeless. Certain elements of these characters are iconic and should never be touched.

Marvel is good at keeping that core of the character in tact--at least to my knowledge.

I don't know if it's adapting to the times that Marvel is so good at as it is they make the right choices as to what ideas are cool.

They know for example, that crossovers are awesome.

So they make them, and they make them well.

Stories do translate well.

You need a script writer to do that. You need a good one. Green Lantern could translate. It didn't.

I don't know if it's adapting to the times that Marvel is so good at as it is they make the right choices as to what ideas are cool.

Lots of ideas are cool. It takes a deft producer to know which will work on a screen. It takes a deft writer to take something like the mash that is the Avengers and make it look like more than fanfic.

DC hasn't proved they have either at this point. Nolan succeeded without DC, not with it.

Superman's origin is still in my opinion, the coolest comic book story ever.

It's the Jesus/Moses myth made fresh.

And yes, I enjoyed it the first 4 or 5 times I heard it, but it's been told WAY too many times now.

I think if they do another Superman reboot (and no doubt they will someday), they can just skip that part...

If anything, a movie should be EASIER to write because you have that budget to tell stories that on TV, would not be affordable.

Trust me; there's NEVER enough money... it doesn't matter if you have $200 million; the script will require $205 million. That's the nature of the beast.

There's a reason the faithful become the faithful--the stories are good. The characters are good.

And I agree; but the faithful are a relatively small number compared to a general audience; the prime target of a movie (as opposed to the relatively small circulation of a comic book).

This is the critical difference; what is a good story for a comic book/graphic novel is not necessarily cinematic or engaging enough to bring in a mass audience (the failure of "Watchmen" is a burning example; it was lovingly adapted, and pretty faithful to its source [save for the ending], but it still tanked).

I think talent is talent. Stories do translate well.

Sure, with a skilled translator (i.e. a writer who can successfully adapt a book to a movie).

I think if they do another Superman reboot (and no doubt they will someday), they can just skip that part...

At best, give it a 90 second voiceover. It really doesn't need to suck up any of the film's real time.

At best, give it a 90 second voiceover. It really doesn't need to suck up any of the film's real time.

I like how Marvel's 2008 "Incredible Hulk" did the origin bit; as a montage with the opening credits. It was easily digestible and told you everything you needed to know in about a minute or two. 2004's "Spiderman 2" also did a similar trick (using just Alex Ross' beautifully illustrated panels), and it worked very well.

There are quite a few comic book fans that post on this site. It's interesting that in all the discussions, I can't think of anyone who made some tremendous defense of Man of Steel like it was the greatest Superman movie ever.

While we may not agree on everything when it comes to Superman, we all seem to feel that Man of Steel is a very flawed movie that just didn't get it.

MoS is my favorite Superman movie, but that isn't saying much since I'm not a huge fan of Supes anyways. While I think Reeves did a wonderful job, those movies are far too dated for me. I found Superman Returns excruciatingly boring. Smallville wasn't bad to me, but it was obviously Superman-lite.

But MoS wasn't bad to me at all. I don't share the numerous criticisms that others have of it. But that's mostly because I recognize this is the beginning of Superman. When he was young, unsure, confused and trying to find his place in an alien world. That - to me - was a far more compelling exploration than having him be perfect and in control boy scout from the womb. The only aspect I'll agree was silly was that death of Pa Kent. Superman can move at super speed. He could have easily saved the dog and been standing next to that crowd before anyone noticed him. It was done really poorly. The rest? I enjoyed and no - I didn't mind him killing Zod. Putting a super powered demi-god in jail seems nonsensical. Overrall - I am looking forward to the upcoming movie (even though my opinion of Ben Affleck has reached an all time low).

On topic - Marvel is hitting it out of the ball park for a number of reasons, but one major one: they took a risk. For some reason, in the past, combining stories was seen as a no no. Something you rarely saw. It was often cited that characters had to "stand on their own" and all this stuff. I feel like Trek suffered that syndrome. How many times did we want the Enterprise-D/E crew to cameo during the Dominion War? Imagine if Trek, during its heyday, had one Avengers type movie where the three concurrent crews of the 90s came together in one important battle? It's why, before we saw the plot, Generations was so hyped. Kirk and Picard finally coming together.

DC never had the tenacity to do that. Marvel beat them to the punch and put all the heroes together in one shared universe. I have enormous respect for them because of that. Most studios would see that as a nightmare having to fuse them all those plot lines together from different movies. Now DC is playing catch up - realizing that it is profitable to have Batman and Superman and co. in one movie. Marvel takes risks and it paid off. This is proof that you can make movies catering to fans and have it be a money maker. Once and for all killing this idea that "movies made solely for fans of that franchise would never make as much money." Take heed of that Star Trek 3...

Crap. I'm going to avoid going off topic and respond to that last post in the DC thread. I hate to break it up when it's good, so I'll cut and paste it.

But I will respond to the Marvel part. You are so right about Marvel and their crossovers. For some reason, Hollywood for decades only had crossovers in cartoons. Crossovers work.

With Marvel, I think we're at a point where they shouldn't even be called crossovers. It's one universe, with a lot of characters in them. A Thor movie would be like an episode where Thor is the central character, but that doesn't mean Iron-Man can't come in and support him. Likewise, an Iron-Man movie would be the reverse. Not every character needs to be in every movie, but the idea that they CAN be is exciting. The story comes first.

And I think that is awesome.

I also agree that Star Trek should have embraced that more. I agree 100 percent that the reason Generations had so much hype was because of the crossover with Kirk finally meeting Picard.

Had they had a story worthy of the characters, and not been dumb enough to kill Kirk, that movie would have done a LOT better than it did. Ultimately, a crossover alone requires a good story.

Marvel is doing that.

I always say the audience is not stupid, and Marvel's movies are good examples of that.

They have things for hardcore fans, but non hardcore fans are not lost. Not all of Marvel's movies are homeruns, but overall, they are really good. Other franchises should follow suit.

My worry about DC is that they are going to follow the Generations path rather than the Marvel one, and do a poor job. Every piece of info out of Batman/Superman has been horrible.

So in other news, I started rewatching X Men--the first movie.

I stopped an hour in because I had other things to do, but the beauty of a DVD is you can pause it and pick it up later.

Anyway, I will say this--the movie isn't quite as good as I remember but still pretty good.

Part of it is that I have always hated Jean Grey. No issue with Famke Jansen, but the character of Jean Grey was always nails on a chalkboard, and that dates back to the cartoon.

For me, the greatest comic book movie casting of all time was Christopher Reeve. The man was perfectly cast as Superman.

However, a very close number 2 for me--Hugh Jackman as Wolverine.

The look, the voice, the writing and the acting--this character was nailed. There have been other well cast actors in roles, but Jackman was born to play Wolverine.

I really, really want a Volcana movie.

Ok, no, don't laugh, I'm serious. I think Volcana could be cool. I mean, hot. Oh, you know what I mean. She could do all the lava flow stuff in a midwestern mall during a shopping spree and it could be a metatextual comment on our society. "I want what I want because I want it and I want it NOW and if I can't have it, I'm gonna burn it," etc.

Molecule Man, her beau, could be in it too. Maybe they could have the Beyonder as the bully-type guy who picks on him and Marsha Rosenberg (because Volcana is she) rides in and sorts him out, and this all goes down in the mall. Lots of fireworks.

I dunno, it's just an idea. I love Volcana.

Ok, no, don't laugh, I'm serious. I think Volcana could be cool. I mean, hot. Oh, you know what I mean. She could do all the lava flow stuff in a midwestern mall during a shopping spree and it could be a metatextual comment on our society. "I want what I want because I want it and I want it NOW and if I can't have it, I'm gonna burn it," etc.

Molecule Man, her beau, could be in it too. Maybe they could have the Beyonder as the bully-type guy who picks on him and Marsha Rosenberg (because Volcana is she) rides in and sorts him out, and this all goes down in the mall. Lots of fireworks.

I could SO see that...

For extra credit, who do you see in the role?

I could SO see that...

Rather than going the Hollywood "established actor" route I think you'd need to scout for new talent.

I mean, I could say Rebel Wilson with dark hair, because Volcana is supposed to be a lady with curves. Or Gabourey Sidibe. That'd be interesting. But honestly, I'd like to see an unknown cast - a voluptuous unknown, certainly, but someone who could really bring to life that whole schtick, the so-not-obvious candidate for superpowers. The casting of Molecule Man - Owen Reece - is just as important. It would need to be someone able to satisfyingly bring to life that superiority/inferiority complex he's got. British actor Simon Bird would work persona-wise but I wonder if he could imbue Reece with a Brooklyn accent. Well, he's from Colorado, but was brought up in Brooklyn. Molecule Man, I mean.

When this happens, you can all say, "Robin Bland on the TrekCore board thought of this first."

I could SO see that...

Rather than going the Hollywood "established actor" route I think you'd need to scout for new talent.

I mean, I could say Rebel Wilson with dark hair, because Volcana is supposed to be a lady with curves. Or Gabourey Sidibe. That'd be interesting. But honestly, I'd like to see an unknown cast - a voluptuous unknown, certainly, but someone who could really bring to life that whole schtick, the so-not-obvious candidate for superpowers. The casting of Molecule Man - Owen Reece - is just as important. It would need to be someone able to satisfyingly bring to life that superiority/inferiority complex he's got. British actor Simon Bird would work persona-wise but I wonder if he could imbue Reece with a Brooklyn accent. Well, he's from Colorado, but was brought up in Brooklyn. Molecule Man, I mean.

When this happens, you can all say, "Robin Bland on the TrekCore board thought of this first."

If a future Wonder Woman movie ever gets made and is successful? I wouldn't be surprised if we see a slew of female superhero/supervillain movies getting the green light.

But this one we'll owe to our own Robin... ;)

I could SO see that...

If a future Wonder Woman movie ever gets made and is successful? I wouldn't be surprised if we see a slew of female superhero/supervillain movies getting the green light.

I am writing the spec script right now.

My other big Marvel movie idea is the Jocasta and Machine Man AI romance. I think people will be OK with the upcoming cyber-takeover if they understand that machines have feelings too. Ultron plays the aggrieved boyfriend.

I could SO see that...

I am writing the spec script right now.

My other big Marvel movie idea is the Jocasta and Machine Man AI romance. I think people will be OK with the upcoming cyber-takeover if they understand that machines have feelings too. Ultron plays the aggrieved boyfriend.

I will try to treat my DVR, my iPhone and my Mac desktop with the appropriate respect; I see myself as more the spineless collaborator type (color me Gaius) in the machine apocalypse... :giggle:

Marvel and Sony are apparently negotiating the return of Spider-Man to Marvel. Under the deal, revenues would split 60/40 Marvel and Marvel gets complete creative control, which apparently means Garfield would be out.

According to Latino Review, if Marvel Studios were to get the Web-Slinger back, current Spider-Man actor Andrew Garfield would be let go and the current Amazing Spider-Man film series would be deemed "non-canonical." The Marvel Studios Spider-Man films would forgo the traditional romance story and focus on the character’s struggles as both a teenager and a superhero, with romance only being a side-plot. Spidey’s origin story would also be glossed over, which makes sense. Aside from Batman and Superman, Spider-Man has the most recognizable origin story, and since it’s already been told in two movie series and several animated series, there’s no need to go over it again.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Spider-Man-Ditch-Andrew-Garfield-Marvel-Gets-Him-68645.html

Fine with me, as I find him pretty weak.

Marvel and Sony are apparently negotiating the return of Spider-Man to Marvel. Under the deal, revenues would split 60/40 Marvel and Marvel gets complete creative control, which apparently means Garfield would be out.

According to Latino Review, if Marvel Studios were to get the Web-Slinger back, current Spider-Man actor Andrew Garfield would be let go and the current Amazing Spider-Man film series would be deemed "non-canonical." The Marvel Studios Spider-Man films would forgo the traditional romance story and focus on the character’s struggles as both a teenager and a superhero, with romance only being a side-plot. Spidey’s origin story would also be glossed over, which makes sense. Aside from Batman and Superman, Spider-Man has the most recognizable origin story, and since it’s already been told in two movie series and several animated series, there’s no need to go over it again.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Spider-Man-Ditch-Andrew-Garfield-Marvel-Gets-Him-68645.html

Fine with me, as I find him pretty weak.

Wow.

Bob Orci is having a really BAD month, isn't he? Aw well, it gave me my schadenfreude for the day... :P

At any rate, going back to Marvel is like coming home; given Marvel's track record to date?

They might finally turn out the Spidey film that we old time Spidey fans thought was gone forever with 2004's "Spiderman 2."

My advice to Marvel (like they need or asked for it, right? :laugh:) is to ignore another reboot origins story. Just get on with the new story with the characters already in place; and mention Uncle Ben's death in passing.

Tell the backstory in animated panels (ala "Spiderman 2") or in a credits sequence flashback (ala 2008's "Incredible Hulk"). The audience will get it; people get their information in bits these days, not in bloated, exposition-filled wastes of time (I'm looking at YOU, Superman & Batman).

I think audiences & fans are getting a little bit tired of being pulled all the way back to the starting line every time someone new takes over the reigns...

I agree - we don't need another origin story. Far better to concentrate on where the character's going rather than where he's been twice before on celluloid. It'd be fun to see him as part of the Avengers line-up.

Long before Raimi's first Spidey flick, I always thought Ben Affleck would make a great Peter Parker. Back then, he looked like John Romita Sr drew him. Too old now, of course. Weirdly (to me), he ended up playing Daredevil.

It comes as no surprise. I think Sony only made ASM to begin with because it was that or the license reverted back to Marvel anyway. ASM was mediocre, and that's being generous. Stone, Sheen, and Field were the only watchable things in it. ASM 2 was atrocious. To have a guy who can act as well as Foxx so utterly wasted only makes it worse.

I think origin stories are more popular with the studios than audiences. With the origin story, the screenplay is essentially pre-written. To be honest I think everyone is already well aware that Superman is from Krypton, Spidey got bitten by a spider and Bruce Wayne's parents got shot. Move on.

Same with Star Trek. Get to NuTrek 4? Just start the movie, thanks.

Edited by prometheus59650

The same sources that are talking about Marvel getting these rights back are agreeing with you. There wouldn't be an origin story.

I actually think that Spidey's origin doesn't need to be touched upon in movies for a good 15-20 years. It's a story that will always need to be remade because they need to introduce the character to a new generation, but it's too soon to redo it.

A credits sequence would be nice, but also not necessary.

I have no problem changing up the actor, though if they want to use Garfield, that's fine too. I guess it's a question on whether they want to jettison the continuity of the last two movies.

Not sure it matters.

I would love to see a version of the Green Goblin that doesn't look like a Power Rangers villain, though there are a lot of Spidey villains that never saw the big screen properly.

This is hardly a done deal though. The first report was that Sony flat out said no. But these recent reports do seem to contradict that.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0