Sign in to follow this  
GustavoLeao

New Toho Godzilla Movie

TOHo is doing another movie... wow cool... it wouldent be surprise they release the next movie about the same time as star trek:the 13th toho has done alot of good godzilla movies in the past ......with the suscess of the movie that come out last year , it by time they did another one.....looking forward to seeing this one

Edited by captain spock

Control yourself, Sehlat LOL

Gus

giphy.gif:giggle:

Next to buying "Guardians of the Galaxy" on blu ray tomorrow, that is pretty much the coolest thing this week.... :P

(Final Wars did indeed suck bigtime.)

It was more a parody of a G-movie, IMO...

And the overacting alien guy just annoyed the living hell out of me.

tumblr_mxmeicUZWH1s2jfn0o2_400.gif

There are some funny bits - when Godzilla kicks US Zilla's butt, and the soccer game. But it's a lot to plough through to get to those bits and the rest is a slog. The film labors under the misapprehension that super-quick jump-cutting is stylish, that ciphers rather than characters are engaging - it's like the worst kind of pop video, but they last three minutes. I mean, Godzilla's never been Shakespeare, that's not why we watch it, but you don't watch it to get a headache either.

Hopefully Toho won't make the same mistake with this one and will give us something more like GMK Giant Monsters All Out Attack.

There are some funny bits - when Godzilla kicks US Zilla's butt, and the soccer game. But it's a lot to plough through to get to those bits and the rest is a slog. The film labors under the misapprehension that super-quick jump-cutting is stylish, that ciphers rather than characters are engaging - it's like the worst kind of pop video, but they last three minutes. I mean, Godzilla's never been Shakespeare, that's not why we watch it, but you don't watch it to get a headache either.

Hopefully Toho won't make the same mistake with this one and will give us something more like GMK Giant Monsters All Out Attack.

GMK was (IMO) the absolute best of the Millennium series G movies...

Your "Godzilla isn't Shakespeare" line got me thinking (and googling...):

Hamlet.jpg

Still waiting for a Toho Studios production of "Much Ado About Nothing"... :giggle:

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!

I HAVE WAITED 10 FRAGGIN YEARS!!!

I liked final wars better than all the 602 and 70s Godzilla movies. And definatly better than Godzilla versus megalon.

and all of them, including the 1998 Broderick movie was better than this piece of garbage I wasted money on seeing this past summer.

OK, just saw "Shin Gojira (aka Godzilla Resurgence)" (2016)

********* MAJOR SPOILERS!!! *********

GOJI_TAIL_ATTACK.png

And after 12 years, Toho studios revives the Godzilla brand with a vengeance.
This is (at least to my recollection) the most powerful and politically charged Godzilla film since the 1954 (unaltered) original film "Gojira" (the pristine Japanese version, without the American-shot insert footage all over it).  It's also a Godzilla film with a LOT to say about everything; Japanese bureaucracy (the first half hour of the movie is pretty much a political farce),  Japan's role in the world (great line: "Post-war Japan never seems to end"), the environment, and once again, the dangers of nuclear energy (the disaster at Fukushima obviously weighed heavily on the filmmakers). 

As said above, the first half hour or so of the movie is basically a bureaucratic farce; a mutated sea creature (an 'evolving' Godzilla) comes ashore and wreaks havoc.   Images of boats in the streets were obviously inspired by the 2011 monstrous tsunami that caused the Fukushima disaster.   The creature looks like some kind of wild, angry sea serpent; with gills and wide-fish eyes.   Not quite Godzilla, but a super-menace all the same.   The Japanese leadership is in organized chaos; more time is spent deciding which room to have the next part of the briefings in than in how to deal with the giant, rampaging creature (which, at first, they can't even AGREE on whether it's a creature or not).   This running joke at bureaucracy is funny at first, but ultimately taxing; we get it.  Bureaucracy sucks in a crisis.   Haha.   The wait through this admittedly funny but ultimately tedious gag is worth it however because the movie soon shows its real cards as characters are thrust into action and as the creature begins to spontaneously mutate (an ability gained by its feeding on carelessly dumped nuclear waste in the Pacific), the movie begins to pare down to the essentials and becomes a true, epic, disaster movie.   Of a kind and scale not really done in this series since the 1954 original.  By it's 4th incarnation, the creature finally resembles something a lot closer to the classic Godzilla architecture and it's at this point the movie REALLY takes off. 

The characters are colorful and surprisingly engaging (certainly more than in the 2014 US-made movie); the prime minister finally gets his act together.    A young government official rises to an undreamt of challenge, in an almost "Designated Survivor"-type story arc.     Basically the metaphor seems to be that Godzilla acts as both instrument of terror and as a bulldozer for eliminating the worst elements of 'old Japan' leadership/bureaucracy and clearing the way for a younger, more decisive generation to rise to the challenge (however unwittingly or reluctantly).  And it's the scientists who save the day, not the troops; as they work tirelessly around the clock to find a way to rid the world of Godzilla and preventing a US-UN led nuclear strike against the temporarily dormant (but still very dangerous) creature.   In fact, the scientific approach of the movie even manages to sneak in a few long-unanswered G-fan questions; such as how a creature of Godzilla's size support its own weight, how its skin is so seemingly invulnerable, and what are the dynamics of a nuclear-fission powered creature, and how does it 'cool down' to avoid meltdown?    It's nice to see that the movie attempts to throw some real-world analysis at Godzilla, even if it's forsaken for entertainment, more or less. 

A couple of issues mar this otherwise brilliant movie:  an unfortunate bit of casting has a very Japanese actress playing an American-born and raised daughter of a US diplomat (her American accent is shaky at best; and basically burst the bubble of her character's believability).   There's also a lot of over-the-top comic style acting in the first half of the movie that threatens of undermine the gravitas; admittedly, this was by choice, as the style slowly segues into a more serious and deeper approach as the film goes on.  But this initial approach makes the movie a bit of a slow burn.    It's not until Godzilla finally 'evolves' into his true self that the movie REALLY kicks it into high gear; both in tone and in action set pieces.    Like Godzilla himself, the movie pares down to the essentials, and becomes a true survival epic. 

Godzilla's devastating encroachment into Tokyo is arguably the best since the '54 original as well.    It is powerful to watch (especially on the big screen; this is only the 5th Godzilla movie I've seen in theatres).   The creature also has new and more dangerous abilities that we've NEVER seen in a Godzilla movie before.  Not to sound too cliche, but this ISN'T your granddad's Godzilla, and I mean that as a compliment.    The creatures' radioactivity is dealt with about as realistically as possible; there are true and dangerous consequences to a giant, radioactive monster plowing through an island nation.    This Godzilla is as less metaphor for Hiroshima and Nagasaki and more about the more recent horrors of Fukushima and the world governments' seeming impotence to help Japan during a very dark hour.    The characters in this movie slowly shed the bureaucracy that failed them and embrace self-determination in order to survive.    They use ingenuity rather than nuclear weapons to save the day.   Most importantly, they also embrace the ideas of a younger, less patient generation that wants 'post-war Japan' to come into its own again.

Honestly, this movie was more politically charged than the entire run of Kurosawa movies at times.   This is easily the most ambitious Godzilla movie in 62 years, and once it kicks into high gear, it's also one of the most powerful.  

If you're a Godzilla fan who doesn't mind a slow-burning first half?    The movie is very rewarding.     One of the best G-movies in a long while... 

Haven't read your post Sehlat, because I want to see this! Having a very busy month though so I haven't even looked to see if it's on in the NYC area. But I'd guess a blu-ray release is also imminent...

[Edit}: Of course, it is on locally; I've just got to find the time to see it...

Edited by Robin Bland

Haven't read your post Sehlat, because I want to see this! Having a very busy month though so I haven't even looked to see if it's on in the NYC area. But I'd guess a blu-ray release is also imminent...

[Edit}: Of course, it is on locally; I've just got to find the time to see it...

Hope you take the opportunity; this one would be best on the big screen.  :thumbup:

The wee bairn might enjoy the action sequences as well; "Shin G"  has some of the BEST effects I've yet seen in a Godzilla movie. 

Hope you take the opportunity; this one would be best on the big screen.  :thumbup:

The wee bairn might enjoy the action sequences as well; "Shin G"  has some of the BEST effects I've yet seen in a Godzilla movie. 

I was thinking of taking her; it's just that she's not great with subtitles. I prefer watching the original editions when we have Godzillathons on DVD/blu-ray, but she prefers dubbed. Possibly this was just because when she was younger I indulged her in that regard for fear she'd be put off subtitled movies if she felt she couldn't keep up, but she might be old enough now (and fast enough a reader) for it not to be any kind of a problem.

I will ask and we will see...!

Update: I asked, we're going. :thumbsup2:

CANT WAIT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:thumbup:

Both of you guys (and the wee bairn) will enjoy it, I think.  The rampage sequence mid-movie is just jaw dropping both in its power and its visuals. 

The FX of "Shin Godzilla" were just incredible; many times besting the work of Gareth Edwards 2014 "Godzilla."  

I thought so too... we did see it! Last Friday, in fact. It looked incredible. Meant to write a review, go distracted by other posts, and big life events...!

We enjoyed it up to a point, but found it very slow and talky for overly long stretches. It takes itself a little too seriously in places, while trying to be some sort of political satire in others. While that's fair enough, there's a lightness of touch to be had when you're employing such stylistic flourishes in what is essentially a monster movie. There are many great points made throughout, but both the bairn and I kept waiting for the story proper to begin. Making the point that bureaucracy cripples creative thinking is fair enough, but taking half an hour to do it is stretching an audience's patience very thinly. The sleight-of-hand reveal - Godzilla's evolution - is cool, and there are many great ideas, both visually and narratively. But damn, between the action sequences, the execution, the flow of the movie as a whole, leaves a lot to be desired. The ending - 'Zilla at the dentist -  although making narrative sense, was also really anticlimactic.

It's certainly a big improvement on Final Wars, and a very different take on Edwards' US version. I'd have to say i preferred the human characters overall in this movie than his, but it's a close run thing. Can't help thinking Shin Godzilla would be vastly improved by some judicious editing.

On balance, this movie wins, but only a small margin. Neither is the modern Godzilla movie I was really hoping for. I hope it does well though, so we get another Toho production...! Certainly worth seeing for the Godzilla action sequences themselves which were breathtaking.

Sign in to follow this