Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Zef'No

Destination Star Trek 2014 (London)

4 posts in this topic

DST returns to London this October.

Tickets are now on sale and guests have been announced to include William Shatner, Jerry Ryan, most of the TNG cast (except Sir Patrick) and others. See their website).

I've never really been to one of these things before, but my circumstances are such that I'm actually tempted this year. But after reading so many negative reviews from previous times, I'm not sure.

My budget is very tight so I'm currently thinking of just the basic entry ticket for either Saturday or Sunday, and maybe one photo or something... But I might not be able to resist spending more on the day!

My expectations are low - a lot of the hustle and bustle really doesn't appeal to me, and I'm not going to pay through the nose to stand in a cue for hours to get some ageing actor's autograph, but it's a day out, and it would be nice to say I've been to one of these things. And considering I'll be just an hour and a half away on the train, would I regret it if I didn't go when I had the chance...?

What do think; is it worth the money?

DST returns to London this October.

Tickets are now on sale and guests have been announced to include William Shatner, Jerry Ryan, most of the TNG cast (except Sir Patrick) and others. See their website).

I've never really been to one of these things before, but my circumstances are such that I'm actually tempted this year. But after reading so many negative reviews from previous times, I'm not sure.

My budget is very tight so I'm currently thinking of just the basic entry ticket for either Saturday or Sunday, and maybe one photo or something... But I might not be able to resist spending more on the day!

My expectations are low - a lot of the hustle and bustle really doesn't appeal to me, and I'm not going to pay through the nose to stand in a cue for hours to get some ageing actor's autograph, but it's a day out, and it would be nice to say I've been to one of these things. And considering I'll be just an hour and a half away on the train, would I regret it if I didn't go when I had the chance...?

What do think; is it worth the money?

Personally? I love conventions.

Yes, it's a lot of hustle and bustle, and you don't usually get to do/see everything you want, but meeting the fans, the cosplayers and the vendors (and their very cool wares) usually make it worth it for me.

If you can afford it? I'd say take the risk. It's better going and having a so-so time than not going and wondering forever about what you might've missed... ;)

I've gone to great conventions, I've gone to average conventions and I've gone to conventions that are little more than a few celebrities at a garage sale.

But I've never regretted going to any of them, and each one is a unique experience...

I wouldn't bother, especially not on a tight budget. These things operate under one Ferengi rule and that is "the more money a fan has, the more things they get to enjoy - no money, no fun". Some conventions seem cheap entry-wise - only to charge for basically every step one takes.

Of course, if you're a really huge Trek fan and interested in all the cast members as well it's probably worth it (DST is Trek only as far as I know)... but again, you'll need lots of money to meet them all and it WOULD involve standing in line for hours for an autograph or a picture with them unless you want one from/with background redshirt number sixteen or something. Also, if you hate crowds? A convention is just about the worst place to be. If there's one thing everyone seems to agree on when it comes to DST cons it's that they're insanely hectic and chaotic.

I'm not a convention fan at all... does it show.

I wouldn't bother, especially not on a tight budget. These things operate under one Ferengi rule and that is "the more money a fan has, the more things they get to enjoy - no money, no fun". Some conventions seem cheap entry-wise - only to charge for basically every step one takes.

Of course, if you're a really huge Trek fan and interested in all the cast members as well it's probably worth it (DST is Trek only as far as I know)... but again, you'll need lots of money to meet them all and it WOULD involve standing in line for hours for an autograph or a picture with them unless you want one from/with background redshirt number sixteen or something. Also, if you hate crowds? A convention is just about the worst place to be. If there's one thing everyone seems to agree on when it comes to DST cons it's that they're insanely hectic and chaotic.

I'm not a convention fan at all... does it show.

You bring the opposite (and equally valid) side of it.

I guess that's the #1 issue: whether or not one minds the crowds or not. I've been at conventions (namely Comic Con San Diego) where it is literally SO crowded you have to go outside just to breathe regularly. Then there are others (such as the Burbank conventions) where it is no more crowded than a shopping mall on a weekday. Maybe I'm just 'convention-hardened'... :P:laugh:

I imagine DST London will be pretty crowded, so brace yourself if you DO decide to go. ;)

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0