Sign in to follow this  
benbess

Fans of the show post here

Hammer   

At the time this was on the air, I considered myself a fan of the series. However, when I look back on the series, there were good things I take out of it and things I wish were done differently. I find seasons 4-6 to be the best, S7 had all season to wrap up their voyage home, and yet the ending was still slapped on like an afterthought. S1,S2 and S3 were mediocre with only a couple of episodes stood out for good reasons, and many stinkers. I wish they could have kept Sarah Silverman after the mobile emitter 2-parter, conveniently set in 1990's southern California. They also should have ditched Kes earlier.

I think Phillips was miscast and should have been Ferengi instead, and has played Ferengi before without the complaints he sees for his Neelix character. Perhaps they thought that DS9, while doing much to repair the image of the Ferengi, relied on Ferengi and their greed as comedic fodder too much and wanted to be different. Neelix wasn't funny though. 'Hahaha, he lost his whole family and most of his race when his planet exploded. He's a controlling jerk towards Kes and is socially awkward and is a lousy cook!' Really writers? Really?

Character development became an issue, Kim is still an Ensign at the end of his seven year run on the bridge! Paris got more attention, but only to soften up Torres image. The Doctor and Seven were the best characters to come out of this show. Janeway was all over the map from episode to episode, zero consistency. Tuvok became Janeway's confidant while Chakotay got pushed to the sidelines.

I find seasons 4-6 to be the best, S7 had all season to wrap up their voyage home, and yet the ending was still slapped on like an afterthought.

I believe that's true. They should have returned home in season 7 no later than maybe the 17th episode. Some time home in celebration, an episode or two grilling Janeway and deciding what to do with the Maquis, then have the ship be given a new mission of exploration. Certainy better than "We're home." Fade to black.

They also should have ditched Kes earlier.

It was clear they didn't know what to do with her almost from the start. She's really not a bad idea though.

Hammer   

I find seasons 4-6 to be the best, S7 had all season to wrap up their voyage home, and yet the ending was still slapped on like an afterthought.

I believe that's true. They should have returned home in season 7 no later than maybe the 17th episode. Some time home in celebration, an episode or two grilling Janeway and deciding what to do with the Maquis, then have the ship be given a new mission of exploration. Certainy better than "We're home." Fade to black.

They also should have ditched Kes earlier.

It was clear they didn't know what to do with her almost from the start. She's really not a bad idea though.

Yes, DS9 was wrapped up by Voyager S7 so their monopoly on the Alpha Quadrant's story is over. Yet, we hear very little on screen about the time period between the end of the Dominion war and the events depicted in Nemesis other than another silly Barclay episode. This was really disappointing because what we saw instead were another bunch of one-offs that could have happened in any season other than a couple of character development episodes for Torres and Paris. Even those were ridiculous, a cult of Klingons in the Delta Quadrant want her baby? Yeah, Okay....

Maybe the character wasn't a bad idea, I just found Jennifer's acting to be wooden and her reactions/facial expressions not natural or appropriate to certain situations. She always had a strange grin on her face for some reason while delivering her lines. Pairing her with Neelix though was the biggest mistake from the writers.

Edited by Hammer

Even those were ridiculous, a cult of Klingons in the Delta Quadrant want her baby? Yeah, Okay....

Unfortunately the relaunch books make that a factor in some of Paris and Torres subsequent actions. That was a thread best left alone.

I just found Jennifer's acting to be wooden and her reactions/facial expressions not natural or appropriate to certain situations.

Because she had no real emotional bearing. Initially I think they thought "childlike wonder" was going to work for seven years. they found out it wouldn't, so let's do a Paris/Neelix quasi-triangle, so she's some soap opera damsel. Then they have "Warlord," which she's actually good in. After that, she breaks with Neelix and is totally rudderless until they dump her.

Seven is head and shoulders better.

Hammer   

Even those were ridiculous, a cult of Klingons in the Delta Quadrant want her baby? Yeah, Okay....

Unfortunately the relaunch books make that a factor in some of Paris and Torres subsequent actions. That was a thread best left alone.

I just found Jennifer's acting to be wooden and her reactions/facial expressions not natural or appropriate to certain situations.

Because she had no real emotional bearing. Initially I think they thought "childlike wonder" was going to work for seven years. they found out it wouldn't, so let's do a Paris/Neelix quasi-triangle, so she's some soap opera damsel. Then they have "Warlord," which she's actually good in. After that, she breaks with Neelix and is totally rudderless until they dump her.

Seven is head and shoulders better.

Yes it's a story line best left ignored, and a book I will be skipping apparently.

Maybe I was too hard on her. She wouldn't be the only one who had character writing issues. I just found some of the details of her species off-putting as well; lifespan, mating age etc. It made it seem like they were like small mammals. Warlords was her best episode. IMO that's because she played a more interesting character.

Edited by Hammer

LOL.

There were a few good things in it. :)

Seven of Nine and the EMH are about it for me, I'm afraid.... :S

I'm not trying to be cynical either (for once); I really mean it. Those two are the only two characters I really care about or have any real interest in. Tuvok at times, maybe; but he was very dry (even for a Vulcan).

LOL.

There were a few good things in it. :)

Seven of Nine and the EMH are about it for me, I'm afraid.... :S

I'm not trying to be cynical either (for once); I really mean it. Those two are the only two characters I really care about or have any real interest in. Tuvok at times, maybe; but he was very dry (even for a Vulcan).

Alexander Enberg was an awesome Vulcan, and, yes, Tim Russ was dry as toast.

Hammer   

Tim Russ' character was on the surface pretty boring. Married (and faithful) man, wife is back in the Alpha Quadrant. They did have him serve with Captain Sulu though, I wish they had mentioned that earlier. He played it almost too Vulcan. His contributions to fan films after the show ended make me want to cut him slack though.

Tim Russ' character was on the surface pretty boring. Married (and faithful) man, wife is back in the Alpha Quadrant. They did have him serve with Captain Sulu though, I wish they had mentioned that earlier. He played it almost too Vulcan. His contributions to fan films after the show ended make me want to cut him slack though.

I loved the 'angry Tuvok' we saw in "Meld"; wished he'd have come out for a peek more often. Tim Russ played the s#!t out of that one...

Hammer   

I loved the 'angry Tuvok' we saw in "Meld"; wished he'd have come out for a peek more often. Tim Russ played the s#!t out of that one...

The funny thing is, angry Tuvok was completely right about Janeway. Suder's character had a lot of potential. What do you do with a murderer when you are 70 years warp travel away from home? Confining him without human contact 24/7 is cruel and unusual punishment. He brought a dark side to Voyager that it needed, and then they just tossed his character away in that awful two-parter.

The funny thing is, angry Tuvok was completely right about Janeway.

I think, on some level, the writers knew Janeway was an inconsistent loon, hence Tuvok being able to be so right in that moment. That and Seven scolding her in "Prey."

I love Voyager, I love the cast.

Voyager was not provocative as TOS, TNG and and mature like DS9, but was a good adventure series with great characters.

When I interviewed Kate Mulgrew for TrekWeb.com, she was gracious and very lovely.

A good, underrated TV Series.

Gus

Edited by GustavoLeao

Ha, no problem, prometheus59650. I was shocked ! LOL

But you know, it is a sport after all, and life goes on.......It was a nice word cup for Brazil, but you know, German blasted Brazil and there you are.

Thanks, anyway, pal.

Gus

I was a fan when Voyager was on and watched it faithfully. The problem is that unlike the other series it simply doesn't have the volume of rewatchable episodes of a DS9 or even TNG. However, since this is a thread for fans of the series, I will throw out a few personal favorites in no particular order.

Scorpion 1 and 2

Year of Hell (minus the use of the horrible reset)

Blink of an Eye

Dragon's Teeth

Death Wish (interesting concept to put the Q Continuim on trial)

Living Witness

Distant Origin

Just to name a few I am sure there were others I really enjoy but these were first to come to my mind.

Edited by Ghost of Sam Kirk

I was a fan when Voyager was on and watched it faithfully. The problem is that unlike the other series it simply doesn't have the volume of rewatchable episodes of a DS9 or even TNG. However, since this is a thread for fans of the series, I will throw out a few personal favorites in particular order.

Scorpion 1 and 2

Year of Hell (minus the use of the horrible reset)

Blink of an Eye

Dragon's Teeth

Death Wish (interesting concept to put the Q Continuim on trial)

Living Witness

Distant Origin

Just to name a few I am sure there were others I really enjoy but these were first to come to my mind.

I can agree with everything on that list. :)

Like I've said before, there are about a dozen or so VGRs I can still enjoy; but mostly from the Seven of Nine years (with the notable exception of "Meld"; that was an excellent Star Trek of any series).

Autocad   

S7 had all season to wrap up their voyage home, and yet the ending was still slapped on like an afterthought.

I agree, I sure would have liked to see the Borg destroyed..........in a huge battle.

S7 had all season to wrap up their voyage home, and yet the ending was still slapped on like an afterthought.

I agree, I sure would have liked to see the Borg destroyed..........in a huge battle.

Weren't they? I seem to remember a giant epic battle where Admiral Janeway infects the Borg queen, and Borg are dying left and right...

Hammer   

Voyager was chased by Borg spheres through the transwarp conduits, and Starfleet was gathered at the alpha quadrant end. They detected the spheres and expected a fight. The last sphere came out in pieces while Voyager emerges intact.

Sign in to follow this