Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
benbess

Fans of the show post here

93 posts in this topic

There are some things that bug me about Voyager, such as Neelix, but overall I really like the show. And I find the hate sometimes directed against it disconcerting. Anyway, perhaps I'm the only fan of the show here, but if there are others please show yourselves....And yes, I'm a man--not that that matters or should matter.

Edited by benbess

I really don't hate the show. They had some really good stuff in it.

My real beef with it is the inconsistencies. The might have beens. Missed opportunities. That type of stuff.

You may be alone in this topic. :P No I'm just kidding. If the show entertained you - then it did its job. I think Voyager, personally, failed on a lot of accounts. It doesn't help that it followed DS9, which to me is like the highlight of Star Trek. It felt like a step down.

But what did you like about the show, benbess? We may find common ground on individual aspects. For example - I love the EMH and Seven of Nine.

I hear crickets chirping.... :giggle:

I corrected the thread title for you, benbess. But I'm afraid I'm totally NOT a fan of Voyager (which is putting things mildly), so, Imma have to vanish again. ;)

What did I like about the show? That it ended? (JK!) I liked the EMH and Seven of Nine. Unlike some I liked Torres and Paris, although that might be because I work with teenagers and in a lot of ways those two were overgrown teenagers. I liked the basic premise of having a ship isolated and on its own - sort of like TOS's wagon train to the stars sales pitch.

I liked the show when it was topical or had one off stories. When they encountered the Borg they sort of neutered them. But I did like the story and the characters. Maybe I didn't so much like Janeway but I did like the Doctor, Seven and Paris. Tuvok was okay but underused. So I liked it. If that's your idea. I will probably receive complaints now that I liked it! Ha.

Not a fan either, but I do like Tuvok and Tim Russ. Also, some standalone stories were great, or at least their ideas were. "Meld" is great, IMO.

Edited by Sim

I don't hate it. I like Seven. I like The Doctor.

It just could have been sooooooooooooo much better.

What did I like about the show? That it ended? (JK!) I liked the EMH and Seven of Nine. Unlike some I liked Torres and Paris, although that might be because I work with teenagers and in a lot of ways those two were overgrown teenagers. I liked the basic premise of having a ship isolated and on its own - sort of like TOS's wagon train to the stars sales pitch.

Would've been nice if they actually stayed true to that premise and followed it logically.

That said, Seven and the EMH were good characters, even if the EMH was a wee bit hammy at times.

Not a fan either, but I do like Tuvok and Tim Russ. Also, some standalone stories were great, or at least their ideas were. "Meld" is great, IMO.

^

This.

I really liked "Meld." One of the darkest episodes of the whole series.

Suder was a great wild card character; as played by the wonderful Brad Dourif (a.k.a the voice of "Chucky" the doll from the horror movies)

This.

Suder was a great wild card character; as played by the wonderful Brad Dourif (a.k.a the voice of "Chucky" the doll from the horror movies)

Brad Dourif is a type-cast actor. Somehow he always ends up playing the murderer. That being said....he is a wonderful actor.

This.

Brad Dourif is a type-cast actor. Somehow he always ends up playing the murderer. That being said....he is a wonderful actor.

You should see him in "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest" (1975) where he plays a stuttering, shy, weak-willed kid in a mental hospital.

It's a total 180 from anything he's done since. It's a shame he's been typecast.

Brad-Dourif-as-Billy-Bibbit-one-flew-over-the-cuckoo-E2-80-99s-nest-12279891-524-350.jpg

One of the most underrated actors in Hollywood, period.

It's sad that he's become a 'horror guy' now. He's capable of so much more...

It's sad that he's become a 'horror guy' now. He's capable of so much more...

I do sometimes hope that a stellar character actor like him could really find a "breakout" role now and get some of the attention they deserve. I'd like to see it.

Season 4 had me hooked (Well starting with the season 3 finale). It lost the magic it gained in season 4 with season 5. I think Janeways hipocracy re-emerging was part of it, then the sudden ceasure of character development for anyone not named after a number, But Once i can afford star trek season sets, and I get to voyager, Season 4 will be the first I own, since I actually like it.

I would own them all, if I could find the season sets for $20 or less. I really don't think they are worth a penny over that, and I'll never bother with BDs if they go that route.

I would own them all, if I could find the season sets for $20 or less. I really don't think they are worth a penny over that, and I'll never bother with BDs if they go that route.

The only Voyagers I own are a laserdisc rip/DVD burn I did of the "Caretaker" pilot, and the episodes of VGR that were included on the Borg and Klingon collection DVD sets (which include "Dark Frontier" & "Endgame").

I really wouldn't bother owning any of the seasons, as I find it difficult to even sit through most VGR episodes these days without getting the nagging feeling I could be watching something better ("Drone" and "Meld" are two exceptions).

The only Voyagers I own are a laserdisc rip/DVD burn I did of the "Caretaker" pilot, and the episodes of VGR that were included on the Borg and Klingon collection DVD sets (which include "Dark Frontier" & "Endgame").

I really wouldn't bother owning any of the seasons, as I find it difficult to even sit through most VGR episodes these days without getting the nagging feeling I could be watching something better ("Drone" and "Meld" are two exceptions).

Well, ultimately my position is a compromise with my inner completest. :laugh:

I don't hate it - it was just massively disappointing. There are some good elements, as others have noted, some great players and some genuinely good episodes. The Doctor, Tuvok, Seven were all highly watchable.

Also - best title sequence! Never fast-forwarded through that.

But you come away from a show with an overriding impression, and I've never been able to shake the feeling that I was duped with Voyager. It said 'Star Trek' on the tin, but it turned out to be fake Star Trek. The box looked right, but it tasted weird.

Why did i watch it for seven years? I know why I watched TNG and DS9, even Enterprise. I've returned to those shows many times, revisiting favorite episodes or rewatching whole seasons. When I've tried similar with Voyager, I've found myself losing patience/interest rapidly. Individual episodes, yes, occasionally, but as a whole? The show doesn't work, not for me. It lacks an essential element I find to be present in all other iterations of Star Trek. It had a killer premise and I kept hoping it would get better, but it never, ever delivered on the promise. Voyager took Star Trek and made it bland. Pun unintended.

I don't hate it - it was just massively disappointing. There are some good elements, as others have noted, some great players and some genuinely good episodes. The Doctor, Tuvok, Seven were all highly watchable.

But you come away from a show with an overriding impression, and I've never been able to shake the feeling that I was duped with Voyager. It said 'Star Trek' on the tin, but it turned out to be fake Star Trek. The box looked right, but it tasted weird.

Why did i watch it for seven years? I know why I watched TNG and DS9, even Enterprise. I've returned to those shows many times, revisiting favorite episodes or rewatching whole seasons. When I've tried similar with Voyager, I've found myself losing patience/interest rapidly. Individual episodes, yes, occasionally, but as a whole? The show doesn't work, not for me. It lacks an essential element I find to be present in all other iterations of Star Trek. It had a killer premise and I kept hoping it would get better, but it never, ever delivered on the promise. Voyager took Star Trek and made it bland. Pun unintended.

'Bland'... heehee. :giggle:

I very much agree that VGR had a KILLER opening title sequence. Arguably the best of them all, really.

Beautiful movie-quality Jerry Goldsmith score, lovely (if slightly illogical) flybys, some of the most imaginative planetscapes ever seen on ST, and the cool bit with the nacelles raising up to go into warp at the end.

I too, never fast-forwarded through that one.

I found this version on Youtube, but for some reason (?) it sounds slightly time-compressed (ever-so-slightly-speeded-up).

'Bland'... heehee. :giggle:

I very much agree that VGR had a KILLER opening title sequence. Arguably the best of them all, really.

Beautiful movie-quality Jerry Goldsmith score, lovely (if slightly illogical) flybys, some of the most imaginative planetscapes ever seen on ST, and the cool bit with the nacelles raising up to go into warp at the end.

I too, never fast-forwarded through that one.

I found this version on Youtube, but for some reason (?) it sounds slightly time-compressed (ever-so-slightly-speeded-up).

Dang - I watched it all the way through, again! It is a superb title sequence.

Now, if the show had delivered on the promise of that - those sumptuous visuals depicting the 'deep wilds' of outer space, of Voyager's journey, if it had given us ideas and adventures to match that soaring, majestic theme - maybe we'd celebrating it now. Even if they had focused on just the ship surviving - tales of the crew's resourcefulness, of lean times, of how they patched the ship and kept her intact - it still would've been interesting. But that sort of thing was only very, very occasionally addressed. We got a lot of comedy schtick from Neelix, innumerable Holodeck stories on a ship that was supposed to be conserving power, and a ship so tough it could whup the Borg, again and again. Don't get me started on what that show did to the Borg. It all amounts to a huge missed opportunity, to my mind.

Yeah, the Bland sez, "Blaaaaaaaand." :P

...Yeah, the Bland sez, "Blaaaaaaaand." :P

Can we see a video of you saying that?!+++ lol

I assume it's kinda like "Khaaaaaaaaaaaan!"

Edited by benbess

...Yeah, the Bland sez, "Blaaaaaaaand." :P

Can we see a video of you saying that?!+++ lol

I assume it's kinda like "Khaaaaaaaaaaaan!"

With considerably less raaaaaaaaaage. ;)

Yes, I'm a fan.

There are some things that bug me about Voyager, such as Neelix,

Well, TUVIX was on the low end of storytelling!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0