Mr.Picard

The Many Awesome Moments of Jean-Luc Picard

576 posts in this topic

^ He sure is. :inlove: He just has this natural aura of dignity and class that I simply ADORE.

If you had to define him in just one word, what would it be?

If I dare venture one, I'd say "Regal."

If I dare venture one, I'd say "Regal."

That'd be mine as well.

I would choose a 'serious business' word but I look at the man from a different point of view than everyone else. To me he isn't the captain, to me he is Jean-Luc. Of course I know that his command means everything to him, but to me he's the man I love, and that man is a LOT more than regal. (I don't disagree, if I were looking at him in the same way in which I look at the other captains I'd choose such a word, too.)

Anyways. The word I'd choose would be... lovable. Because... well, he is.

I would choose a 'serious business' word but I look at the man from a different point of view than everyone else. To me he isn't the captain, to me he is Jean-Luc. Of course I know that his command means everything to him, but to me he's the man I love, and that man is a LOT more than regal. (I don't disagree, if I were looking at him in the same way in which I look at the other captains I'd choose such a word, too.)

I agree that regal only covers a tiny bit of it, but as a capsule summary (for the more casual admirer)?

I think it fits.

'Lovable' however, works much better in your case, as you have a more special place in your heart for him than most. :)

I gotta say you're hopelessly stuck on the man...and it really is kind of adorable. :)

I gotta say you're hopelessly stuck on the man...and it really is kind of adorable. :)

I wish someone loved me that much... even my wife! :laugh::P

I've been "stuck" for the past 11 years, I've come to accept it. Well, mostly. I can't help the way I feel. And there are MUCH worse men to fall for than Jean-Luc Picard, I guess.

It's been a LONG time since I've only seen the captain when it comes to Jean-Luc (I vaguely remember not noticing him much for a while, lol) but for that one 'regal' works perfectly. He IS regal. I simply view the whole captain thing as his (very time-consuming) job. The man BEHIND the captain's mask is the one I'm interested in. This is also why I'd never be AFRAID of him when he falls into his captain's rage mode (when he lectures the Crusher brat on THE TRUTH and such, for example), simply because I'd be too used to argue BACK. I could never be an officer under his command. And I wouldn't WANT to be that. It would go beyond that which I can deal with. I'd just want HIM. Not the invincible captain who projects geniality (lol). Just... plain and simple HIM. I realize that he is an officer and I would stand by him, no matter what, I'd support him (or kick his butt if I think he's messing up) but I wouldn't want to be directly involved in the chain of command.

I've been "stuck" for the past 11 years, I've come to accept it. Well, mostly. I can't help the way I feel. And there are MUCH worse men to fall for than Jean-Luc Picard, I guess.

It's been a LONG time since I've only seen the captain when it comes to Jean-Luc (I vaguely remember not noticing him much for a while, lol) but for that one 'regal' works perfectly. He IS regal. I simply view the whole captain thing as his (very time-consuming) job. The man BEHIND the captain's mask is the one I'm interested in. This is also why I'd never be AFRAID of him when he falls into his captain's rage mode (when he lectures the Crusher brat on THE TRUTH and such, for example), simply because I'd be too used to argue BACK. I could never be an officer under his command. And I wouldn't WANT to be that. It would go beyond that which I can deal with. I'd just want HIM. Not the invincible captain who projects geniality (lol). Just... plain and simple HIM. I realize that he is an officer and I would stand by him, no matter what, I'd support him (or kick his butt if I think he's messing up) but I wouldn't want to be directly involved in the chain of command.

Ship's bartender would be a great gig... ;)

It would, yes. It's the perfect position aboard the ship. You always know how the general crew mood is, you get to hear rumors first and yet you can be friends with everyone without rank coming between things. The only thing to be concerned about would be the balance between 'what do I tell Jean-Luc and what not' but I could DEFINITELY handle that one. I've handled this sort of thing before.

I mean I'm not the only one who sees rank as a problem. Jean-Luc doesn't seem very fond of dating officers under his command. I ignore the dreadful episode "Lessons" but I know it's there.) It creates a lot of unnecessary problems. If one wants things to last with Jean-Luc, one had better NOT be an officer. Of course that alone won't guarantee anything (see *SPITS* Vash-Means-Cow-In-French) but it IS a start.

(see *SPITS* Vash-Means-Cow-In-French)

:giggle:

Still funny, that is...

Another awesome JPL moment: Picard, averting a war with the Tamarians ("Darmok") after a crash course in Tamarian culture, courtesy of his late friend Dathon...

THIS is still one of my favorite ST episodes (let alone TNG episodes); I think it is the PERFECT embodiment of what Roddenberry had in mind when he first created ST. Avoiding misunderstandings with aliens in space (metaphors for other cultures right here on spaceship Earth) and building trust and mutual cooperation by taking the time to understand each other. It is a timeless lesson that is as relevant today as it was in 1966. And as timeless as it will be in 2366. "Darmok" is ST (any ST) at its absolute BEST. And Picard is the living embodiment of that understanding. In "Darmok" he is humanity's best ambassador...

sokath_his_eyes_uncovered.jpg

Well, I think unless you hear "mutiny" or something of that threat level, what happens in Ten-Forward stays in Ten-Forward. Otherwise you sort of lose trust and people will find other places to gossip.

"Darmok" is definitely one giant awesome JLP moment. It's a VERY defining episode for him. I love how he manages to communicate with Dathon. The ripped shirt doesn't hurt either. I know I know.

And then the badass way in which he saves his ship at the end. He's just so damn fine. Heh.

Well, I think unless you hear "mutiny" or something of that threat level, what happens in Ten-Forward stays in Ten-Forward. Otherwise you sort of lose trust and people will find other places to gossip.

Exactly the way I'd handle things, yes. :)

On reluctantly choosing to rescue Q in "Deja Q"....

dejaq247.jpg << "It is a perfectly good shuttlecraft..."

It's a cute throwaway line... ;)

And a couple of wonderful Picard quotes/moments from GEN, a deeply under-appreciated movie (IMO)...

gen0578.jpg

"It's our mortality that defines us, Soran. It's part of the truth of our existence."

And this:

gen1093.jpg

"Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. But I rather believe than time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment because they'll never come again. What we leave behind is not as important how we lived. After all, Number One, we're only mortal."

I agree that Generations is rarely appreciated. For me, it's not just my favorite Next Generation movie, it's my favorite Trek movie period.

I agree that Generations is rarely appreciated. For me, it's not just my favorite Next Generation movie, it's my favorite Trek movie period.

Another GEN fan!

tumblr_mwbm1gZeap1sctiaro1_500.gif

That makes what.... three of us now. :thumbup:

I will freely admit that while GEN is not my favorite ST movie per se, it came into my life at a peculiar personal crossroads (or nexus? Heehee) and struck me deeply and emotionally in a way that most ST movies haven't. At that time (late '94/early '95) I was having a very rough time of it (I'd spent most of the year recovering from a motorcycle accident, then lost my dad). For some reason, GEN, with its themes of loss and renewal hit me more profoundly than was perhaps intended. I remember actually tearing up (in the theatre) when Picard was discussing his familial losses with Troi. I dare say, the movie actually helped me through that time. It was very, very cathartic.

And even beyond those (admittedly personal) reasons, I also love the movie's music (Dennis McCarthy.... who knew he had it in him?) and the glorious cinematography by DP John Alonzo ("Chinatown"); the Enterprise D interiors never looked better, and the Valley of Fire scenery was just jaw-droopingly gorgeous. Kirk's poignant sendoff (it was intimate rather than predictably 'epic'; I liked that). And the hope and optimism at the end. Despite the loss of Robert, Rene, Kirk and even the Enterprise D, life continues... even the music in the closing moments of the movie (as Picard and Riker stand amid the destroyed Enterprise D's remains) is hopeful, not mournful.

Picard's lines in the movie, "I rather believe that time is a companion, who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment..."

That single piece of insight I take with me to this day, almost 20 years later. ;)

I will freely admit that while GEN is not my favorite ST movie per se, it came into my life at a peculiar personal crossroads (or nexus? Heehee) and struck me deeply and emotionally in a way that most ST movies haven't.

I think because, while it fell short, it at least tried to say something grand and be about something more than standard sci-fi tropes.

It just didn't quite make it. But i give it far more credit for effort than INS or NEM. I don't count FC because it wasn't shooting for anything more than what it achieved: space zombies.

I will freely admit that while GEN is not my favorite ST movie per se, it came into my life at a peculiar personal crossroads (or nexus? Heehee) and struck me deeply and emotionally in a way that most ST movies haven't.

I think because, while it fell short, it at least tried to say something grand and be about something more than standard sci-fi tropes.

It just didn't quite make it. But i give it far more credit for effort than INS or NEM. I don't count FC because it wasn't shooting for anything more than what it achieved: space zombies.

I love FC for exactly what is was as well; a rousing adventure. It advertised and it delivered.

I admire GEN for both passing the torch and attempting to do something a bit different. It is not a traditional space opera movie by any means. It was (for me, anyway) both personal and profound.

But yes, space zombies are cool too. And Picard has great moments in FC as well (beyond "action hero Picard", which to be honest, I never found as interesting as introspective Picard).

Picard's decisiveness, when listening to the lopsided battle of Starfleet vs. Borg over subspace:

firstcontact0111.jpg

"I'm about to commit a direct violation of our orders. Those of you who wish to object, you may do so now. It will be noted in my log."

Even when violating direct orders (and rushing into battle) he's ever a gentleman.... ;)

....I will freely admit that while GEN is not my favorite ST movie per se, it came into my life at a peculiar personal crossroads (or nexus? Heehee) and struck me deeply and emotionally in a way that most ST movies haven't. At that time (late '94/early '95) I was having a very rough time of it (I'd spent most of the year recovering from a motorcycle accident, then lost my dad). For some reason, GEN, with its themes of loss and renewal hit me more profoundly than was perhaps intended. I remember actually tearing up (in the theatre) when Picard was discussing his familial losses with Troi. I dare say, the movie actually helped me through that time. It was very, very cathartic.

And even beyond those (admittedly personal) reasons, I also love the movie's music (Dennis McCarthy.... who knew he had it in him?) and the glorious cinematography by DP John Alonzo ("Chinatown"); the Enterprise D interiors never looked better, and the Valley of Fire scenery was just jaw-droopingly gorgeous. Kirk's poignant sendoff (it was intimate rather than predictably 'epic'; I liked that). And the hope and optimism at the end. Despite the loss of Robert, Rene, Kirk and even the Enterprise D, life continues... even the music in the closing moments of the movie (as Picard and Riker stand amid the destroyed Enterprise D's remains) is hopeful, not mournful.

Picard's lines in the movie, "I rather believe that time is a companion, who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment..."

That single piece of insight I take with me to this day, almost 20 years later. ;)

Thanks for this good review of what it meant to you in that time. I have similar feelings, although nothing as dramatic was going on in my life at the time.

Which Trek movie is your favorite?

And this:

gen1093.jpg

"Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. But I rather believe than time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment because they'll never come again. What we leave behind is not as important how we lived. After all, Number One, we're only mortal."

I love this line too and not just because DS9's finale title is in it. :P

"Speak for yourself, sir. I plan to live forever."

I have this nagging sensation that if anyone could pull it off, it's Riker.

....I will freely admit that while GEN is not my favorite ST movie per se, it came into my life at a peculiar personal crossroads (or nexus? Heehee) and struck me deeply and emotionally in a way that most ST movies haven't. At that time (late '94/early '95) I was having a very rough time of it (I'd spent most of the year recovering from a motorcycle accident, then lost my dad). For some reason, GEN, with its themes of loss and renewal hit me more profoundly than was perhaps intended. I remember actually tearing up (in the theatre) when Picard was discussing his familial losses with Troi. I dare say, the movie actually helped me through that time. It was very, very cathartic.

Thanks for this good review of what it meant to you in that time. I have similar feelings, although nothing as dramatic was going on in my life at the time.

Which Trek movie is your favorite?

My favorite TOS movie alternates between TUC and TWOK, my favorite TNG film is probably FC, but with GEN a very strong second. FC is only more successful because it is a much more accessible movie. Though personally? Sometimes (depending on my mood) GEN takes the top spot for awhile...

And this:

gen1093.jpg

I love this line too and not just because DS9's finale title is in it. :P

Never thought of that... and they're also wearing DS9 uniforms (well, half of the crew is, anyway...).

Another awesome Jean Luc Picard moment: Chain of Command part 2, after days of torture and mind games with a Cardassian interrogator, Picard clings to his defiance. He is broken, but NOT defeated.

And when finally granted his freedom, he reiterates what he KNOWS to be true, "There .... are.... FOUR... LIGHTS!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_eSwq1ewsU

(It's a painful episode to watch, but I do love the magnificence of Sir Patrick Stewart's performance... it is IMO his best in the entire series).

Picard's final insult to a sulking, assho--er, Admiral Pressman in "The Pegasus":

thepegasus326.jpg

Pressman: "I have a lot of friends at Starfleet command, captain...."

thepegasus327.jpg

Picard: (quietly) "You'll need them."

PWNED!!! :giggle:

Now now, don't talk like that about Riker's ex lover! :P My favorite moment from that episode (everyone always thinks it's "I AM A ROLE MODEL", but nope):

tumblr_lqsx4aJcos1r13oiqo1_500.png

"Get away form my Number One, you b***h." :dry: