Mr.Picard

The Many Awesome Moments of Jean-Luc Picard

576 posts in this topic

Damn! I love what you do to screen caps!

Wish I could give you my driver's license photo.... :laugh::thumbup:

Well you CAN do that. ;)

I don't watch the episode, so, I don't have a Tumblr photoset, but I did make one for "The Naked Now", too.

illk0j.png

HE LOOKS SO MAJESTIC. GOD YES. So commanding. So determined. Completely in charge. I just don't know anymore with this man.

Damn! I love what you do to screen caps!

Wish I could give you my driver's license photo.... :laugh::thumbup:

Well you CAN do that. ;)

I don't watch the episode, so, I don't have a Tumblr photoset, but I did make one for "The Naked Now", too.

illk0j.png

HE LOOKS SO MAJESTIC. GOD YES. So commanding. So determined. Completely in charge. I just don't know anymore with this man.

A crown upon his head would not be out of order in that shot... ;)

And while I generally despise "The Naked Now", I did get a chuckle out of that funny 'dance-step' thing he did in the sickbay doorway.... :giggle:

giphy.gif

Sometimes it's the little things....

I agree. A crown would fit him INSANELY well. (He would hate the idea, haha.)

And yeah, that little moment is a cute one indeed (what follows is NOT cute, of course). I mean I'm not fond of drunk people but Jean-Luc makes even THAT one appear adorable. Another moment I do like from this episode is the one at the beginning of the episode when there are these "wild party sounds" coming over the com system and HIS FACE HIS FACE.

tumblr_mnwkf1VTPn1rl56nno5_500.png

He's all like LOLWAT.

Or this one:

tumblr_mnpt42chhH1s28t2ko4_250.gif

tumblr_mnpt42chhH1s28t2ko6_250.gif

tumblr_mnpt42chhH1s28t2ko1_250.gif

LOOOOOOOOL he just KNOWS which word is going to follow and falls into OMG SELF DO SOMETHING DO SOMETHING THIS WORD NOT ON MY BRIDGE NOPE NOPE NOPE I AM GOING TO DIE OF EMBARRASSMENT OTHERWISE

can this man just NOT

I agree. A crown would fit him INSANELY well. (He would hate the idea, haha.)

And yeah, that little moment is a cute one indeed (what follows is NOT cute, of course). I mean I'm not fond of drunk people but Jean-Luc makes even THAT one appear adorable. Another moment I do like from this episode is the one at the beginning of the episode when there are these "wild party sounds" coming over the com system and HIS FACE HIS FACE.

tumblr_mnwkf1VTPn1rl56nno5_500.png

He's all like LOLWAT.

Or this one:

tumblr_mnpt42chhH1s28t2ko4_250.gif

tumblr_mnpt42chhH1s28t2ko6_250.gif

tumblr_mnpt42chhH1s28t2ko1_250.gif

LOOOOOOOOL he just KNOWS which word is going to follow and falls into OMG SELF DO SOMETHING DO SOMETHING THIS WORD NOT ON MY BRIDGE NOPE NOPE NOPE I AM GOING TO DIE OF EMBARRASSMENT OTHERWISE

He just didn't want to hear that word from Data, that's all.... :P

Good point. I wonder how he would have reacted if RIKER had delivered the limerick. :angel_not:

Honestly though his obvious embarrassment is just TOO CUTE.

tumblr_m364jot4Ib1r9jlqmo4_250.gif

Good point. I wonder how he would have reacted if RIKER had delivered the limerick. :angel_not:

Honestly though his obvious embarrassment is just TOO CUTE.

tumblr_m364jot4Ib1r9jlqmo4_250.gif

Oh, that gif... too much. :laugh:

Now, if only they could photoshop Mike Douglas out, and put in Leonard Nimoy's face. ;)

kirk-spock-omg.gifkirk-hits-on-spock-o.giftumblr_n0ccr5Gr631t09lv6o1_400.gif

But back on topic ( * ahem * :angel_not::giggle: ).....

Another brilliant Picard moment (there ARE so many, aren't there??):

The traumatic mind-meld between the aged, mentally unstable Sarek and Picard (you can just jump to the 5:00 minute mark for Jean-Luc's amazing "Sarek" monologue...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVTnBpV0O1o

As a TOS fan, this one has extra resonance for me (especially the look on his face as he mentions Spock and Spock's mother, Amanda). In this moment, Sir Patrick Stewart IS playing Sarek, just sans makeup.

It is a brilliant performance and one of my favorite episodes of TNG.

The traumatic mind-meld between the aged, mentally unstable Sarek and Picard (you can just jump to the 5:00 minute mark for Jean-Luc's amazing "Sarek" monologue...)

As a TOS fan, this one has extra resonance for me (especially the look on his face as he mentions Spock and Spock's mother, Amanda). In this moment, Sir Patrick Stewart IS playing Sarek, just sans makeup.

I love this moment too. Funny enough - it kind of shows the "flaw" in living your life via only logic and supressing your emotions. At the end - you break down and regret that there were times you didn't say you loved a person or treated them with "tenderness" or showed them you cared. Makes you kind of sad for Vulcans...

Kudos to Patrick Stewart because throughout that rant - there were times he literally sounded like Mark Leonard's Sarek.

I love this moment too. Funny enough - it kind of shows the "flaw" in living your life via only logic and supressing your emotions. At the end - you break down and regret that there were times you didn't say you loved a person or treated them with "tenderness" or showed them you cared. Makes you kind of sad for Vulcans...

Kudos to Patrick Stewart because throughout that rant - there were times he literally sounded like Mark Leonard's Sarek.

I felt like he really was channeling Mark Lenard's Sarek in that scene. And it wasn't an imitation; he simply was Sarek...

^^ That was Emmy worthy stuff there.

Even as a Kirk/Sisko fan, I easily concede that Patrick Stewart is the finest actor to ever play a starship captain.

Shatner overacted, Brooks was a bit uneven sometimes, Mulgrew was a bit hammy, Bakula would be a bit one-note, but Stewart? Sublime performance, every time...

Even as a Kirk/Sisko fan, I easily concede that Patrick Stewart is the finest actor to ever play a starship captain.

Shatner overacted, Brooks was a bit uneven sometimes, Mulgrew was a bit hammy, Bakula would be a bit one-note, but Stewart? Sublime performance, every time...

As not the biggest Picard fan their ever was, I still completely agree.

I like the "Sarek" moment as well, no doubt. Very powerful although the episode has another moment that I like much better, and that's the one in which Jean-Luc loses his temper (due to Sarek's telepathic influence, but still).

"WHAT WOULD YOU HAVE ME DO? MARCH DOWN THERE AND DESTROY THE MAN?"

"DON'T YOU TELL ME WHAT TO DO!"

Granted, it's RIKER who starts the whole thing, but still. I love Jean-Luc, even when he yells. Haha.

Fun topic!

Starting from the first episode, I liked the dramatic lighting they gave to Jean Luc Picard in the first few seconds of his introduction. It seemed old school Hollywood to me, in a good way.

He is the glue that holds the show together. He gives the ridiculous gravitas, and he sometimes sprinkles the heavy scenes with a bit of humor and life.

I think there are a few good to great Picard moments in almost every episode. You could almost go episode by episode.....Maybe you should?

Fun topic!

Starting from the first episode, I liked the dramatic lighting they gave to Jean Luc Picard in the first few seconds of his introduction. It seemed old school Hollywood to me, in a good way.

He is the glue that holds the show together. He gives the ridiculous gravitas, and he sometimes sprinkles the heavy scenes with a bit of humor and life.

I think there are a few good to great Picard moments in almost every episode. You could almost go episode by episode.....Maybe you should?

Yes that Farpoint scene is WONDERFUL. I love it, too. :)

Trust me, I can find awesome Jean-Luc moments in EVERY episode, lol. No matter if it's an awful or a brilliant one, JEAN-LUC IS ALWAYS AWESOME. Even in "Thine Own Self" when he only appears at the end for a few seconds.

I guess I'm the one who can do this... I mean going through every episode and present ALL the awesome Jean-Luc moments... it's something I've been thinking about indeed. If people want me to really do this (I hope they know what they'll be getting themselves into, though, HAHA)... I guess I will.

I would enjoy it! Let's start with Encounter at Farpoint.

It's not Patrick Stewart's fault at all, but the screenplay for that episode is a bit clunky in places. But even his "bad" lines are honored and treasured in my family. Here's an example that's enjoyed in our house:

"Let's see what this GALAXY-class starship can do!"

We'll sometimes play around with stuff like this: "Let's see what this GALAXY-class saltshaker can do!" etc.

You know, only Patrick Stewart could do that with such panache and yet class at the same time. Roddenberry told Stewart to play the character a bit like Horatio Hornblower iirc, and he does that to some degree. The only novel that I read in that series by C.S. Forester, Beat to Quarters, is a fun read, and gives you a sense of what GR had in mind.....

Edited by benbess

What's so bad about that line? :P I mean he wants to check out what his new ship is capable of. Perfectly legit. (I'm just kidding, I know the line is amusing. BUT I LOVE IT.)

I also love how he is 100% done with just about everything throughout the entire episode. Nah, make that throughout the entire first season. Did I mention that I love season 1 yes. :P

I also love how he is 100% done with just about everything throughout the entire episode. Nah, make that throughout the entire first season. Did I mention that I love season 1 yes. :P

Yeah, you're weird like that. :laugh:;)

One favorite Q and Picard scene.

"What wouldyour Shakespeare say, all the galaxy's a stage..."

"World. All the world's a stage."

"Well if he was living in this century he might have said galaxy."

"Q..."

"How about this. It's a tale told by an idiot, full of sound a fury, signfying nothing."

"Ah, so how you think of us, this tale told by an idiot, tells you much about us."

"How about a little Hamlet?"

"Oh, I know Hamlet. But what he said with irony, I say with conviction. aWhat a piece of work is man. How in action and moving how noble. In reason and apprehension how like a god."

"Puh, surely you don't see yourselves that way."

"I see us becoming like that one day, Q."

The speech in all good things.

"You are the finestr crew I have served with..."

Measure of a Man, Inner Light, Drumhead, etc.

Q in bed in tapestry. "Was it as good for you as it wass for me?"

Picard's utter disgust and leap out of bed. Lol. But you just know he was kinda thinking of staying.

Edited by Chimera82405

*RUBS HANDS*

Alright, here it goes, my first presentation of awesome Jean-Luc moments.

I present... the very best of Jean-Luc Picard from the episode "Encounter At Farpoint"! (Please keep in mind that this is NOT a discussion of the episode itself. It doesn't really matter if it's a good one or not. That's what the episode topics are for.)

"Encounter At Farpoint"

Okay, the opening sequence has already been mentioned, the scene in which he steps out of the dark and begins to record his first captain's log. I always think that this log is the stuff of legends in Starfleet. IT HAD BETTER BE. :dry:

After that we have him touring engineering. No one knows why they had him walk around the warp core and then use that lift thingy to get to the next deck BUT WHO CARES THE CAPTAIN IS WALKING THROUGH ENGINEERING LIKE A BOSS AND IT IS AWESOME OKAY.

I ALREADY FEEL THE DESPERATE NEED TO COMMENT ON HIS TIGHT UNIFORM DAMN THOSE BLU RAYS AND THEIR DETAILS

tumblr_n3nxlxafCB1r0egvoo1_1280.png

"Data, how can you be programmed as a virtual encyclopedia of human information without knowing a simple word like 'snoop'?" A LEGIT QUESTION.

AND THEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE WITH ALL THE Q FUSS AND JEAN-LUC IS ANNOYED... about the sound of the red alert. "SHUT OFF THAT DAMN NOISE!" Because who ever ordered it in the first place, he didn't, lol. How annoying indeed! Poor bb.

Also can we talk about how his log entry starts with "Captain's log, supplementary..." THIS MAKES ME UNCOMFORTABLE

And then things become especially cute when he wants to SURPRISE "them". Erm, Jean-Luc, it's just Q. One guy. (Granted, Q does say "we call ourselves the Q" and that kinda makes it sound like as if the entire continuum is after poor Jean-Luc but, umm, no, it's just that one Q.) And you can't surprise Q. But you don't know that yet, so, you're too cute when you try it. "We'll take them by surprise." I doubt it, Honey.

AND THEN HE GETS INTO HIS TRUE CAPTAIN MODE. "Prepare for emergency saucer sep." HRRRRRRRRRR YES AWESOME MOMENT RIGHT THERE BECAUSE IT'S A BADASS SAUCER SEP AT WARP NINE POINT FIVE Y'ALL HOW BADASS IS THIS.

And then his rrrrrrrraaaaawwwwwrrrrr moment towards Worf. "You are a Starfleet officer, Lieutenant!" GOD YES TALK TO ME LIKE THIS PLEASE

AND THEN HIS FACE WHEN HE TELLS TROI TO SIGNAL THAT THEY SAHRRRRRENDAH. (I know he doesn't say it like this but I cannot resist.)

ALSO. The way he is sitting on that chair thingy in Q's court room thingy whatever you call it. THE WAY HE IS SITTING ON IT. AND THEN HIS RAGE WHEN YAR IS FROZEN. "You promised that the prisoners would NOT be harmed!"

The next wonderful moment follows when he gets all I-aint-even-gonna-bother-with-you-n00b towards Riker. "Welcome aboard." "Commander Riker will conduct a manual docking." (I always giggle at that, not only because of the innuendo, but also because Sir Patrick recently said that Jonathan Frakes couldn't manually dock a bicycle and it made me laugh for DAYS.)

tumblr_n3nxlxafCB1r0egvoo2_1280.png love the eyeliner btw

"THEN I MEAN NOW COMMANDER."

ALSO this is one of the few episodes in which he appears to be drinking something that isn't just Earl Grey tea. He is stirring the cup, there's no reason to do that with just Earl Grey. WE WILL NEVER KNOW, THOUGH, BECAUSE YOU CAN'T SEE WHAT'S IN THE CUP. GRRRRRRR I HATE SUCH MYSTERIES what is my bb drinking??? (My bet is on coffee with milk.)

tumblr_n3nxlxafCB1r0egvoo3_1280.png

"Since a captain needs an image of geniality, you're to see that's what I project." GOD DARLING YOU ARE ALREADY THE MOST WONDERFUL PERSON WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT. I LOVE THIS MOMENT HE IS SO AUTHORITATIVE AND RIKER IS ALL LIKE YES SIR I WANT TO PLEASE YOU SIR hrhrhrhr

And then the - already mentioned - moment in which he gets all excited about DeSoto's answer to his message and jealous!Q appears and ruins the moment. I WANT TO KNOW WHAT THE REPLY WAS. NO FAIR

Also. "If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." A famous quote, I don't need to add anything to it, I guess.

And then there's another lulzy little scene. He looks at Livingston in his fish tank (pretty much the only occasion on which he even NOTICES the poor thing) and says "If only every life form had as much desire to please." He is talking about the Bandi, not the fish. DOES THIS MEAN HE THINKS LIVINGSTON IS A BITCHY LIL FISH? WE JUST DON'T KNOW. RUDE.

AND THEN HE SHOWS HIS TYPICAL JEAN-LUC SASS WHEN GROPPLER ZORN THREATENS TO BRING IN THE FERENGI. "Fine. Let's hope they find you as tasty as they did their past associates." CAN U NOT DARLING BB NO WAIT CONTINUE.

I also must mention his temper tantrums towards Q. "GET OFF MY BRIDGE!" "THAT IS ENOUGH, DAMMIT!" "Get off my ship." "LEAVE US! WE'VE PASSED YOUR LITTLE TEST!" Darling, you ain't gonna accomplish anything by yelling at Q. But you look damn cute while you do it so you may continue.

AND THEN THE FINAL SCENE FROM THE EPISODE.

tumblr_n3nxlxafCB1r0egvoo4_1280.png:inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove:

HIS CUTE FACE. WHAT A PERFECT MOMENT I DON'T CARE THAT IT'S CORNY AS HELL IT'S CUTE OKAY.

I have to agree that one aspect of "Encounter at Farpoint" I found very interesting was seeing the captain surrender.

He plainly realized he couldn't fight Q's formidable power, the ship's engines were taxed well past their limit, and their weapons would be less than pea shooters against the inexhaustible power of the Q.

farpoint1_133.jpg

People always tend to see surrender as meek or cowardly, but there have been many times when it is the only sensible (not desirable) option. His wisdom in that decision (mind you, he'd already gotten the majority of the ships' complement to safety in the saucer) was very telling that Picard wasn't going to be some bare-knuckled, macho-dummy. This was a wise man. One who considers all options (including getting all of the civilians to safety) before choosing his next course of action, even one so 'unthinkable' as surrender. He wasn't about risking lives needlessly in a futile macho gesture. I actually LOVED that scene for precisely what it was.

And as the episode proved, he was correct in his decision to surrender. Fighting wouldve only destroyed the ship or cost all of their lives, and left all of the civilians in the saucer helpless (if the star drive section had fought the Q, they might've seen ALL of humanity as threatening and destroyed the saucer later). But thanks to the wisdom of that decision, he and the crew would 'live to fight another day...'

This was a defining moment for Picard, and a telling one.

This was not some reactionary moron who'd risk thousands of lives over an insult or a slur; this was a thoughtful leader who sees the lives under his command as his responsibility, not his personal toy soldiers to waste as he chooses.

I wouldn't love him the way I do if he was some macho alpha male who thinks the universe revolves around him and he can win just about ANY fight, no matter the odds/opponent. I have no patience for such men.

That being said - I love the surrender moment as well. And, what's even better, NO ONE questions it. Yar has a "I spoke before I thought" moment, but that is all. And they don't even know him yet and still they trust him already. Because they know he's doing all of it to save them. He's a very, very thoughtful man. I'm quite proud of him for this scene. It takes QUITE a lot for a captain to admit that he's out of options.

I wouldn't love him the way I do if he was some macho alpha male who thinks the universe revolves around him and he can win just about ANY fight, no matter the odds/opponent. I have no patience for such men.

That being said - I love the surrender moment as well. And, what's even better, NO ONE questions it. Yar has a "I spoke before I thought" moment, but that is all. And they don't even know him yet and still they trust him already. Because they know he's doing all of it to save them. He's a very, very thoughtful man. I'm quite proud of him for this scene. It takes QUITE a lot for a captain to admit that he's out of options.

A hell of a leader, too. There's no shame in admitting that you've been bettered. And Picard used that surrender to make a case for humanity; a decision that saved ALL of their lives, including the giant space jellyfish at Farpoint...

Speaking of EAF, I also love the aforementioned Tasha Yar bit:

farpoint1_126.jpgfarpoint1_129.jpg

Tasha: "Will we make a fight of it, Captain? If we could at least damage their ship, we might have a chance--"

Picard: "Lieutenant, are you recommending that we fight a life form that can do all those things? (pause) I'd like to hear your advice."

Again, sagacity wins over machismo. :thumbup:

A fundamental part of his character that's seen repeatedly. Most notably:

(To Q) "You want me to say I need you? I need you."

Mr. Picard: Very perceptive and amusing analysis of some of the best moments of Farpoint. To quote our man from another episode (Redemption, I think): "Nicely done!" Enjoyed the pix too!++

Sehlat Vie: Good analysis of the issues, which is actually making me like this episode better. It is clunky in places, but compared to most dystopian sci fi, it actually has some ideas and some intelligent problem solving.

Hope this keeps going episode by episode....

A hell of a leader, too. There's no shame in admitting that you've been bettered. And Picard used that surrender to make a case for humanity; a decision that saved ALL of their lives, including the giant space jellyfish at Farpoint...

Speaking of EAF, I also love the aforementioned Tasha Yar bit:

farpoint1_126.jpgfarpoint1_129.jpg

Tasha: "Will we make a fight of it, Captain? If we could at least damage their ship, we might have a chance--"

Picard: "Lieutenant, are you recommending that we fight a life form that can do all those things? (pause) I'd like to hear your advice."

Again, sagacity wins over machismo. :thumbup:

Not only that - but he actually asks her for advice right after he tells her that they can't fight Q. He basically tells her "your option isn't one I can take BUT I do value your opinion as chief of security, do you have any others". THAT is leadership.

A fundamental part of his character that's seen repeatedly. Most notably:

(To Q) "You want me to say I need you? I need you."

THAT scene I'm totally biased towards because INNUENDO, haha. And the look on his face when he says it. The way he's basically sitting on the edge of his chair. And Q's "I LOVE IT WHEN YOU BEG" face, lol. But yes, that moment is another one in which he admits that he's out of options (which, in that case, kinda serves him right because he really was kinda smug and arrogant towards Q with his 'we don't need you, GTFO, we're prepared for anything, we don't need a n00b like you in our crew' attitude). Q even makes a remark about "a lesser man" not admitting defeat the way Jean-Luc does if I remember correctly.

Mr. Picard: Very perceptive and amusing analysis of some of the best moments of Farpoint. To quote our man from another episode (Redemption, I think): "Nicely done!" Enjoyed the pix too!++

Sehlat Vie: Good analysis of the issues, which is actually making me like this episode better. It is clunky in places, but compared to most dystopian sci fi, it actually has some ideas and some intelligent problem solving.

Hope this keeps going episode by episode....

Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed the review. I'm afraid they'll all more or less sound like that one (my enthusiasm shows), however, not every episode has as many awesome Jean-Luc moments as "Encounter At Farpoint" has. I also can't promise regular presentations, it takes quite a bit of time to write them.

And yes, the "Nicely done" quote is from "Redemption, Part II". :) (Another awesome moment.)