Sign in to follow this  
The Founder

Star Trek: Voyager versus Ronal D. Moore

Two times I found Neelix watchable; when the Vidians took his lungs (point: Vidians! :thumbup: ) and when Tuvok

That was a really good episode overall. Great new race, Neelix and the Doctor have some good lines, and Neelix isn't acting like Neelix.

I like the Vidians conceptually, but I feel that at times they weren't sympathetic enough. These were desperate plague victims, not standard-issue boogiemen.

I didn't get mad when Tuvix pleaded for his life because by that time I knew they would hit the reset button at the end, as it was an established thing, so I was like, okay they're not going to keep the guerst actor. They're going to write him out. Oh, there goes. It was really a bad episode actually because it forces you to like this guest star and then they kill him off. They could have just found some other way to write out the two of them, but that wasn't the plan. Philolips and Russ were on contract.

That's not the point. I wasn't at the edge of my seat because I wondered if he'd survive. Of course - I knew at the end Tuvok and Neelix would return. The issue was how they did it. They should have Janeway lead him away by security officers straight to sickbay. Watching him run around the bridge and beg the "heroes" of the show to save him was the absolute lowest point in VOY. In no other show - would this have been allowed.

Do you think the ENT-D crew, DS9 crew, TOS crew, or ENT crew would have had the entire bridge silent? Even if Sisko, known for his controversy, would have done this - Kira would have stood up to him for doing that. Bashir wouldn't have performed the procedure.

If Picard encountered a Federation ship where he learned they did that to an alien life form to save their own - he'd have treated them like he did Maxwell. Dragging the captain and the crew straight to a starbase for arrest.

Janeway killed a life form to selfishly save two of her own and the only people she sought counsel for this was herself (Tuvok's best friend) and Kes (Neelix's girlfriend). Wow - great idea. Chakotay should have taken care of that - not her. She wasn't impartial.

But the point is that these people all looked down in cowardice when a person was begging not to die. The same people that claim to protect Federation principles. This was disgusting. I can stomach Janeway making this controversial decision. But the entire bridge crew? That was horrible. When I first saw this (I didn't yet hate VOY) - I felt ashamed that I was enjoying these people and their adventures (I had no standards then).

It was a horrible moment for the show. Worst than anything else (in my opinion).

What really scares me is I've seen VOY/Janeway fanboys/girls defending this act. That Tuvix "wasn't a real person" or some nonsense. Absolutely frightening. Disgusting.

Chakotay can't take care of ANYTHING, though. He just does whatever Janeway tells him. He's the weakest first officer ever. I can't imagine him taking charge of the Tuvix situation, much less making a decision that differs from Janeway's. That's one of the zillion problems VOY has as a whole - the crew allows Janeway to be a dictator and her first officer is nothing more than a puppy following her around.

Hammer   

Chakotay can't take care of ANYTHING, though. He just does whatever Janeway tells him. He's the weakest first officer ever. I can't imagine him taking charge of the Tuvix situation, much less making a decision that differs from Janeway's. That's one of the zillion problems VOY has as a whole - the crew allows Janeway to be a dictator and her first officer is nothing more than a puppy following her around.

No doubt, he was a very flawed character. Maybe they were worried that if they wrote Chakotay to be more vocal and prone to disagree with Janeway, it would seem like he wasn't respecting her opinion because she was a woman. Maybe the first officer should have been a woman as well.

^ That's precisely the problem. They tried to avoid even the HINT of sexism and by doing that they created a new sexism of its own - that a female captain can only be strong if the man closest to her in rank is weak.

^ That's precisely the problem. They tried to avoid even the HINT of sexism and by doing that they created a new sexism of its own - that a female captain can only be strong if the man closest to her in rank is weak.

Very good point.

Neutering the male first officer so that he is more 'agreeable' with the 'first female ST captain' to lead a show, they set up a reverse sexism. Gender equality does not mean automatic deference to female authority. That's just as unequal as the current status quo. We need gender blindness. Deference only to the best ideas, whether they come from a male or female. Sometimes Chakotay could be right, sometimes Janeway might be right. It's a balance.

And I don't recall Kira cutting Sisko any slack because he was the first black lead in a ST series....

Do you think the ENT-D crew, DS9 crew, TOS crew, or ENT crew would have had the entire bridge silent? Even if Sisko, known for his controversy, would have done this - Kira would have stood up to him for doing that. Bashir wouldn't have performed the procedure.

Exactly this. Bashir wouldn't have done it. Kira would have stood up for him. I could easily see Miles "Risk my career to save Tosk" O'Brien...Miles "I don't hate you, Cardassian, I hate what I became because of you." O'Brien getting him out of Ops and onto a runabout and letting him take his chances. Think Miles wouldn't wonder what he'd become if he just stood by.

Enterprise handled the dilemma infinitely better in "Similitude" and the circumstances there were such that there really wasn't a question to answer. Where Tuvix was healthy and happy, Sim was destined to die anyway. Where Trip was utterly vital to the mission, I'm not sure you could argue Tuvix was, at least not to the same degree. Even so, Archer...all the crew felt guilt and shame at what had to be done. Even as Sim volunteered, the crew of the E punished themselves for the choice that was forced on them.

Those are the reactions of people with integrity. Those are the reactions of people for whom life matters.The end of "Tuvix" gave us a bridge full of Sociopaths and it's disgusting.

Janeway needed a first officer, especially in their unique circumstance, who would behave as Riker did toward Jellico. She needed someone who respected the chain of command, but simply would not allow the Captain to run roughshod over everything and everyone.

But, as has been said, they did what they did to Chakotay because they didn't know how to write a strong woman. Did none of these men in the writer's room ever have or witness a heathy male/female relationship to draw upon?

Janeway needed a first officer, especially in their unique circumstance, who would behave as Riker did toward Jellico. She needed someone who respected the chain of command, but simply would not allow the Captain to run roughshod over everything and everyone.

But, as has been said, they did what they did to Chakotay because they didn't know how to write a strong woman. Did none of these men in the writer's room ever have or witness a heathy male/female relationship to draw upon?

Most likely not one in which the WOMAN holds the higher rank, no. Another response of theirs was to have this silly Janeway/Chakotay thing going on because, obviously, you can't have a woman in charge without having her fall for her first officer. It's a disgrace, and I REALLY don't UNDERSTAND why so many female VOY fans (I rarely encounter MALE VOY fans) think the whole Janeway and Chakotay mess is a GOOD thing OR Janeway is a good role model for women. I honestly don't GET IT.

Most likely not one in which the WOMAN holds the higher rank, no. Another response of theirs was to have this silly Janeway/Chakotay thing going on because, obviously, you can't have a woman in charge without having her fall for her first officer. It's a disgrace, and I REALLY don't UNDERSTAND why so many female VOY fans (I rarely encounter MALE VOY fans) think the whole Janeway and Chakotay mess is a GOOD thing OR Janeway is a good role model for women. I honestly don't GET IT.

Ugh! Don't get me started on Chakoneway!

I just ate breakfast.... have a heart.

disgraced.gif

Oh, that whole thing was just pitifully stupid.

I could only imagine a scenario frequently thrown-around-the-writer's-room:

Chuckles: "Admit it, Katherine. You're a woman... I'm a man... it's only natural. And the tattoo... chicks dig the tattoo."

Janeway: "Oh take me right here on Science Station 2, you great big hunk of smoldering, politically-correct native American man, you!"

Chuckles: "Only with your permission, Captain... ma'am... er, Katherine."

Janeway: "Oh god! You're so hot when you're deferential !!"

This I've sort of come to understand in a way after being exposed, admittedly secondhand, to the craft/card making hobby boards that the Duchess Prometheus frequents. They are, to a large extent, stereotypical "spend their husband's money on craft supplies and hide it", my husband won't "let me" go on this craft retreat" house fraus. (And I'm being literal in my examples there)

Of that group, a huge number of them believe that a male can't have female friends. He'll have sex with them. Period.

I hate continuing to broad brush, but maybe that's why some of the female fans think it's a good thing? It's "inevitable" so it may as well be explored?

Edited by prometheus59650

disgraced.gif

Chuckles: "Admit it, Katherine. You're a woman... I'm a man... it's only natural. And the tattoo... chicks dig the tattoo."

Janeway: "Oh take me right here on Science Station 2, you great big hunk of smoldering, politically-correct native American man, you!"

Well at least they dropped the whole thing towards the end of the show and had Chakotay/Seven.

Which, of course, EVERYONE loves.

*runs and hides* :P

No.

"Katie." or "Toots" or, the ever-popular, "Babe"

disgraced.gif

Well at least they dropped the whole thing towards the end of the show and had Chakotay/Seven.

Yeeeeeeah...when even to two actors involved are, like, "WTF is this?" :laugh:

disgraced.gif

giphy.gif << "NOPE! Not another word..." :P

Ugh.

I can't bear to think of Seven and Chuckles together.... I'm going to throw up coffee and bran cereal all over my keyboard.

yux.gif

Nothing against Beltran personally, but I just can't stand the thought of his character, one of VGR's worst, trying to pair up with its best.

Such a mismatch it offends my sense of order...

The evil part of me is giggling at all the NOPE NOPE NOPE I have just created in here.

tumblr_m24rwiVUcb1qkix9jo1_500.gif

Haha Mr. Picard - you are right. It was kind of silly of me to think that Chakotay would have handled the Tuvix situation better. He would have bowed to Janeway in the end - no matter what.

It is interesting, though, the idea that maybe Chakotay was made to be subservient because if he was rebellious it'd look like a man cannot stand taking orders from a woman. I never thought of it that way.... Maybe that is why they made Chakotay the worst XO in Trek history. Damn.... I can't believe that after all this time - I'm still looking at Trek in new ways. It doesn't make VOY better - but it does kind of explain somethings. Prometheus is right - in that case - they should have made the XO a woman. But then again - they probably met their female quota with Janeway, Seven, Kes, and Torres. Didn't Q remark sarcastically "What is this? The voyage of valkries?"

Haha Mr. Picard - you are right. It was kind of silly of me to think that Chakotay would have handled the Tuvix situation better. He would have bowed to Janeway in the end - no matter what.

It is interesting, though, the idea that maybe Chakotay was made to be subservient because if he was rebellious it'd look like a man cannot stand taking orders from a woman. I never thought of it that way.... Maybe that is why they made Chakotay the worst XO in Trek history. Damn.... I can't believe that after all this time - I'm still looking at Trek in new ways. It doesn't make VOY better - but it does kind of explain somethings. Prometheus is right - in that case - they should have made the XO a woman. But then again - they probably met their female quota with Janeway, Seven, Kes, and Torres. Didn't Q remark sarcastically "What is this? The voyage of valkries?"

Chakotay had a misplaced spin, that showed up and exerted itself during the Borg incident and whenever he was in command of the ship or out of Janeway's sight. We've seen he's blown Janeway's carefully constructed alliances apart when he has his own way. He's punched his officers in the face, to name just a few things.

I don't think he was so much being subserviant because that was the way he was. What happens if he defies Janeway too much? She supplants him with a more compliant Starfleet XO. He was making sure his people were taking care of by being the XO. She can't really move against his people without him being right there to know.

Chakotay had a misplaced spin, that showed up and exerted itself during the Borg incident and whenever he was in command of the ship or out of Janeway's sight. We've seen he's blown Janeway's carefully constructed alliances apart when he has his own way. He's punched his officers in the face, to name just a few things.

I don't think he was so much being subserviant because that was the way he was. What happens if he defies Janeway too much? She supplants him with a more compliant Starfleet XO. He was making sure his people were taking care of by being the XO. She can't really move against his people without him being right there to know.

Well I meant in terms of writing. Because there are times that he comes across as a potentially decent leader (when Janeway is AWAY). Besides - he had to be somewhat decent to have been leader of a Maquis cell no?

You do make an interesting point that Chakotay may have down played himself a bit to ensure that he remains in a position of power to take care of the Maquis. Although - if Janeway did remove him in exchange for Tuvok then you'd think the Maquis would rebel no? Even if she felt she had a legitimate reason to remove him - I can't imagine the Maquis standing for it. Then again....they did transform into good little Starfleet officers after like one season...so...

Well I meant in terms of writing. Because there are times that he comes across as a potentially decent leader (when Janeway is AWAY). Besides - he had to be somewhat decent to have been leader of a Maquis cell no?

You do make an interesting point that Chakotay may have down played himself a bit to ensure that he remains in a position of power to take care of the Maquis. Although - if Janeway did remove him in exchange for Tuvok then you'd think the Maquis would rebel no? Even if she felt she had a legitimate reason to remove him - I can't imagine the Maquis standing for it. Then again....they did transform into good little Starfleet officers after like one season...so...

Then again, in season 5 I believe is when they start getting letters from home, Janeway shows Chakotay the message from the Admiral ordering her to keep him posted on the Maquis situation. She was like, "You guys are my crew! You aren't Maquis!" And he goes, "Well, actually, we are. Sure, we follow your rules, but at heart, we are all Maquis still." Maybe a tad bit of reading between the lines.

Chakotay and B'Elanna even talk about they were unable to continue their revolution they had planned on doing back home after learning the Dominion had crushed the Maquis. So, I think they were all just playing nicely until they could get back home and didn't need Starfleet anymore.

Tuvix was one of the first Voyager episodes debated on the Internet and still is. Memory Alpha has some interesting articles on the subject. Originally it was going to be a comedy, but Piller and Biller changed it into a drama and added the moral issue, 'the needs of the two outweigh the needs of the one', a reverse of Kirk split in two in the classic series. It probably should have been made clearer in the episode that Tuvix could not remain and was not going to survive, thus fixing a weak idea that ultimately makes Janeway out to be evil, not just following regulations.

On the coldly rational side, it is a TV show and they did not ask the actor to return, the one who played him, but he returned eventually as another character.

Even more so, it's a TV show and these are actors. Nobody was actuallyu killed.

It was the second season and the show was starting out, so oddities like this one were common.

Wasn't this about Moore? Eh.

Oh well, and one of you has never met a male Voyager fan, really? In all the conventions you likely attended, and places you likely went, you never once met a guy who like Voyager?

My unsold Star Trek script for that series was to be a Tuvok heavy story where he got a lot to do, but they passed as they had too much Tuvok in that season, (the second season), but since then they hadn't really done much with him.

Voyager was a tricky beast to write for. The DS9 one (during DS9 season 4), was easier, but because they wanted to do the Dominion a different way, fan submissions were not to cover that. Mine did. It got rejected. But it was encouraging to attempt.

I think Voyager at times actually was good. It had some solid episodes, even if they neutered the Borg too much. They had more good ones than clunkers.

A guy Voyager fan...

And I too found the forced Janeway and Chakotay on the planet relationship stupid. It's not just a sexism thing. I thought ait wasn't in character. Janeway was more like a mother hen at that point and it just seemed weird and awkward. Again they had a reset button.

Even Ethan Phillips thought the Kes thing was creepy. I give the actor credit for saying this at conventions in the 90s. They shouldn't have tried to reinvent the Riker and Troi thing with them. It completely flopped. It wasn't Jennifer Lein's fault either.

*Edited by chimera

Edited by Chimera82405

The evil part of me is giggling at all the NOPE NOPE NOPE I have just created in here.

tumblr_m24rwiVUcb1qkix9jo1_500.gif

* Sehlat Vie, still traumatized.... *

NOOOO!!!

Chuckles and Seven....

make-it-stop-o.gifVOY264.jpg

It probably should have been made clearer in the episode that Tuvix could not remain and was not going to survive, thus fixing a weak idea that ultimately makes Janeway out to be evil, not just following regulations.

It was as it was intended, because it was actually deliberately made clear that Tuvix was fine. I don't think it makes sense to just make up the notion that he wasn't, or might not be, then fault the producers for not being "clear" in conveying the idea. They were quite clear.

What regulation allows or requires Janeway to kill one crewmember to save two others that are already dead?

Even more so, it's a TV show and these are actors. Nobody was actuallyu killed.

Obviously. That doesn't make the moral questions posed by the episode less relevant. That doesn't make discussion of the characters answers to those questions less relevant. Ultimately that's what the shows there for: to be consumed and interpreted and discussed.

It was the second season and the show was starting out, so oddities like this one were common.

I disagree. Sociopathic behavior is quite common for Janeway by this point.

Oh well, and one of you has never met a male Voyager fan, really? In all the conventions you likely attended, and places you likely went, you never once met a guy who like Voyager?

I'm certain they exist, but I've never met one personally.

And this might interest the gossips here, Kate Mulgrew was also having an affair with one of those producers, so that mught have affected hoe her character was written.

Then I would have thought she'd have been written better than she was and given prime material to work with. She wasn't. I would have expected if that were the case that she'd have gotten material on par with what Jeri Ryan got to work with and not what Mulgrew actually got.

Edited by prometheus59650

Sign in to follow this