gazomg

Rate the show in order of preference

39 posts in this topic

Never watched the original series.

Ouch... you should give the original a try someday. If nothing else, to see where it all came from. ;)

I consider TOS so removed from the other shows by time and the generally groundbreaking nature of it, in a class by itself, so ranking the modern incarnations.

1. DS9

2. TNG (I find this show has aged less well for me)

3. ENT

61. VOY.

I know this is a cop-out, but I honestly like all four of these shows equally, although for different reasons...

TOS: Grew up with it as a kid in the 1970s. The best episodes still have an amazing power for me in terms of their music, ideas, and character-driven drama.

TNG: In a way, what a contrast with TOS it is in almost every way, and yet it ended up being just as good in the long run.

DS9: And just when you thought you knew Trek from TNG, this one upsets most of the things from that one to make a serialized, gritty, and conflict-driven show.

VOY: In some ways, it's maybe the most like TOS for me. I love Janeway as a captain. And the rest of the characters are all fun.

I still haven't fully warmed up to Enterprise. Some episodes I like it a lot, but there are some things about the show that annoy me or seem poorly thought out. First, the detox "massages" are embarrassing beyond belief imho. The whole idea that it's "Enterprise" and not Star Trek: Enterprise also bugged me. And pushing buttons to open doors? We have automatic doors opening now. I guess like seatbelts it's an invention that's been lost? And, although the last year (except for the very last episode) is great, the first three years seemed very uneven to me. There are good episodes each season, and yet some I feel like I almost have to grit my teeth to get through. I suppose that's true for the others as well.

Anyway, as a fan for 30+ years now, those are my 2 cents....

I'm hoping, most of all, that we can have a new Trek show by the 50th anniversary. My hope is for it to be set in the Prime universe, which might allow for some guest spots by some of the stars of TNG, DS9, and Voyager. But I'm hoping it's not too nostalgia oriented, but instead introduces a new crew, new aliens, and new conflicts. A more gritty approach, a la DS9 would work--at long as they didn't take it into BSG territory.

Edited by benbess

. First, the detox "massages" are embarrassing beyond belief imho.

I just think the way it was done was over the top. If this is really want they want to do? Fine, I suppose. But it's all the direct contact. They are almost never just applying the goo to one another. It's caressed on. It's foreplay. And that's what makes it cringeworthy to me,

The original series(which started it all for me)

The next generation

Deep Space Nine

Voyager

Enterprise.

TNG - It has the best stories overall and I love the crew

DS9 - I have a lot of love for it, some of the earlier episodes can be a bit slow though

TOS - It's just fun to watch, you don't have to take it too seriously

ENT - I really enjoy this series, it took years to get into it though

VOY - Can take it or leave it really, there's some decent episodes but they killed the Borg

#1 Star Trek (not TOS. The name of the show is “Star Trek”) THE best. Shatner, Nimoy, Doohan, Takei: just can’t compare with any other cast. The Greatest villains, coolest props, grooviest costumes. And that iconic music! The spin-offs greatest failing is their music. Watch “The Doomsday Machine” (in surround sound if you are so equipped). That music will get you hyped up and into the scene. Then immediately watch “Starship Down”. What should have been a great episode is just BLAH. No sense of urgency at any point. We never feel like “oh man, how are they going to get out of this one ?” And all I can figure out what is wrong with this episode is the boring music.

#2 Star Trek the Animated Series (aka The Animated Adventures of Gene Roddenbery’s Star Trek. not TAS) Simply excellent writing and voicework. And the most psychedelic music of any Star Trek series. Just trippy. LOVE LOVE LOVE this show. I put on my MP3s of this music to chillout. A shame it is only about 7 or 8 minutes of music for the entire series, but man I love it.

#3 Voyager. I never get the hate for this wonderful series. Yes, there were many terrible episodes, but let’s be honest, all Star Trek series have terrible episodes. Voyager was the most “Star Trek” of all the spin-offs: we never knew where we were going each week – to the distant future, the past, an alternate universe – once the entire episode took place on a DUPLICATE ship, with a duplicate crew! What a great show – when it was good, it was great Star Trek. This is the one spin-off I can pop any episode in at random and enjoy. The others, I need to think before I pop.

#4 The Next Generation. Never before or since has a Star Trek television series been so well received. It is classic.

#5 Deep Space Nine. The only fault I find with this series is its serialization: one cannot simply pop in (or catch) an episode, and enjoy a start-to-finish adventure. There is backstory to explain to a noob, and history of the character to explain, etc.

#6 Enterprise. Its place in my ranking does not mean I dislike it. Love this one too, just too many not-as-great episodes. But, man, season four….. WOW

#7 the reboot Movies. Great fun, epic sense of awe and adventure: I often say, it took 11 movies for someone to finally make a good Star Trek movie (and they made two!)

#8 the original series Movies. Some truly terrible movies, and some mediocre ones. The individual series episodes are vastly superior to these six movies. The soundtracks for these (except IV and VI) are some of the most beautiful music ever recorded. They are constantly playing in my MP3 player for my commute home every night. Love the music, only kinda like the movies.

#9 Next Generation Movies. Everybody goes on and on about First Contact. I say BLAH. Yes, I love the Borg stuff. But I say, if they wanted to make a Borg movie, then MAKE A FRIGGIN BORG MOVIE ! ! Why all the lame-o 21st century drunk warp genius nonsense !?!?!? And why take a COLLECTIVE and give them a monarch who rules over them ???? I hate changed premises like this. But, yes, if I get past that, I do love the Queen’s scenes in this movie and on Voyager, so the Queen’s positives outweigh her negatives. Nemesis and Insurrection? Merely OK. And don’t get me started on Generations: what a terrible follow-up to “All Good Things…” Wow what a great double-length episode; THAT should have been the Next Gen movie. A shame the feature films never matched the greatness of the episodes. The soundtracks on the other hand? LOVE EM! They are constantly playing in my MP3 player for my commute home every night.

1. TNG

2. Voyager

3. TOS

4. DS9 (I really, really tried to like this)

5. Enterprise (just a different feel I guess).

Well, I hadn't rated ST since I was watching DS9 5 months ago. I'm in ENT S3 and I even when I can't say my original opinion has changed I can say it has a couple of additions.

1) TOS

2) TNG

3) VOY

4) ENT

5) DS9

Not giving any explanations... it is what it is :)

DS9: The best character work, combined with elements of continuity/extended storytelling. As soon as season four starts, it also becomes quite consistent in terms of the writing. There's a seriousness and ambition that you can really feel when you watch some of the episodes in the show. As much as I like TNG, it can sometimes feel a little flimsy and light (in terms of character and emotional material, I suppose) but DS9 has a fair amount of episodes that feel like they have weight behind them. DS9 can mess things up too (I refuse to even watch Profit and Lace, because it sounds so bad) but it has some really great episodes.

TNG: Comforting, but also contains substance. We get episodes trying to explore big themes, but we also get ones devoted to characters. I think it has been mentioned elsewhere, but the crew on this series really have a nice chemistry together. Picard is also a great idea for a captain -- he's introverted, cerebral and prefers discussion to fighting. It feels really refreshing, even today, in 2017.

VOY: Not great, but it has a few good moments and characters here and there. Everyone hates Neelix, but I thought he was fairly entertaining at times. Tuvok was decent, and I also like Harry at points. Seven of Nine and The Doctor also had some good scenes.

TOS and ENT: I know people love TOS, but I've never been able to get into it, possibly because of the older style. It's a shame, because I quite like the concept of Vulcans and Spock, but my two favourite shows in the franchise don't actually have a Vulcan as a main character. ENT really bored me, and I never bothered to watch much of it. While I remember thinking Quantum Leap was okay, I'm not sure if Bakula gave off a 'captain' vibe in Trek. T'Pol seemed a bit more interesting.  

1. TOS

2. ENT

3. TNG

4. DS9

5. VOY

The first two never change order but the last three change constantly depending on my mood I guess.  I have had VOY ranked as high as three and DS9 as low as  5.  (I love the character development of DS9 but it is so dark at times for a Trek show.  I guess that is reflected in the fact I never was as into nu-BSG as many on this site.)    

1) TOS - I grew up watching it and I still like it best

2) DS9 - Best story telling. There's no automatic reboot

3) TNG - Great characters - Stories as good as TOS - A captain who acts more like a real captain would

4) Ent - Some good to very good episodes. Weak at times. Good character development

5) Voy - Recycled stories - Little character development - A Captain whose totally inconsistent. 

DS9 - a show that as a kid I didn't get, but as an adult I think it took trek as far as it could go (for now), and really stretched the core concept ideals to the limit, particulary for its time. 

TNG - the show I grew up on, and when I think of Trek in general I tend to think of this show and the original cast films. It's the mainstay for me in a way. 

TOS - the original, the classic. It built the concepts and thecore ideal, and despite its age I feel it holds up fairly well, even if the tech and sets and costumes look decidedly 60s. The storytelling could at times be timeless. To paraphrase Futurama, "79 episodes, about 30 good ones."

TAS - underrated and fun. It told some great Trek stories on a limited 70s TV anination budget and a shorter runtime, but it felt like Trek where it counts. 

ENT - a show with promise, but a lot of failures. I think beyond the ever charming Bakula, and Trip and maybe Phlox...most of the cast was too bland for me. Not really their fault, as the writing didn't really excel in characterizations. The premise also took too long to really take shape in any kind of real form that worked. Even the final season which is the most solid of the bunch, is shot in sucha dated way that it just feels like it didn't stand a chance going up against far kore modern shows of its day. 

VOY - Ugh. Some good core concepts for the show that pretty much never truly get utilized or explored. Alone in the wilderness with a crew mixed of Starfleet and Non-Starfleet Maquis, forced to work together to return home. Except the Maquis put on a uniform and just play Starfleet and they never really have to face the unknown in the wilderness wth no support. Turns out they will be just fine.  And the stories were generic and often just plain sucked. 

After 3 years, my order is:

#1 TOS/TNG/DS9 -- Can't decide which I like more. I love them all. On some days, I have a preference for one of them, on the other day, that changes.

#4 ENT -- A bit uneven, but decent.

#5 (or less) VOY -- So many missed opportunities.

I guess the order hasn't changed. Curious how DSC will fit in...