Simple list and a quick short reason in one sentence as to why

DS9

TNG

Voyager

Enterprise

TOS

DS9 for me broke the mould for me and how it dealt with the darker apects

TNG was the show that introduced a whole new generation

Voyager although a form of continutaion of TNG had more than enough to warrant its own uniqueness

Enterprise was not given the chances it deserved although they did not help themselves with a lot of rubbish episodes.

I know it will surprise some that I have TOS last but you must understand i never watched trek till tbg started and only now starting to watch the remastered versions.

Ask me next year to revise this list and TOS may well makes strides up the list.

TOS

DS9

TNG

ENT

TAS

VGR

TOS = The one that first got me into ST; my 'first love.' As Scotty says, "You don't ever love a (show) quite like that again..." The crew were really 'buddies' (unlike the congenial office workers of TNG); with much warmth and comradery. I also love the 'newness' of it all; sadly, ST can never duplicate that fresh feeling ever again. These guys were the pioneers. They become iconic; blueprints for all who followed...

DS9 = The deepest (deep is in its title!) exploration of characters, both primary and secondary, of ANY Star Trek series, ever! And at the end of the day, what is ST all about? A rich family of characters. And wonderful, morally ambiguous characters such as Quark and Garak. And even though I'm not exactly president of the Worf fan club, I thought he was a far better fit in the 'gray' universe of DS9 than he was in TNG. I also think the chemistry of the cast more closely mirrors the warmth of the TOS group. It has clunkers, but overall the quality of this show is much more consistent than the rest....

TNG = Really close behind DS9. Some of it's episodes are even better than DS9, but it loses in overall consistency. TNG has the bigger number of clunkers. While Picard is an amazing captain (certainly the best acted), we're also stuck with walking feminine stereotypes Crusher and Troi. Those twin embarrassments simply wouldn't EXIST on DS9...

ENT = This show would be awesome if it were just most of S1, a few of S2 and most of S4. If S3 never existed (with its morally despicable Bush Iraq invasion rationalizations), I'd love it a bit lot more. And that theme song was just awful. But appealing, relatable characters like Phlox, Hoshi and even Trip saved it from being a total VGR clone. Had a lot of potential (some of it used, some of it squandered).

TAS = TOS' somewhat loopier cousin. Wildly out-of-the-box stories. It's like TOS on acid, sometimes. Highly imaginative, though. "Yesteryear" "Jihad" "Pirates of Orion" "Ambergris Element" and others are actually decent stories, too. An underrated gem, even if covered in a layer of schlock (the cheap animation, the stilted voice acting, the reuse of the same vocal talent and use of stock Filmation music cues). If only the TOS cast's audio tracks could be remarried to better animation... as some of those stories were totally worthy of live action treatment.

VGR = Complete waste of time, for the most part. About a dozen or so episodes that are OK. Seven and the EMH are the only characters in the whole troupe that I'd give two poops for. Cardboard thin characters (especially the himbo characters, like Chakotay and Paris). And it has (easily) the worst written captain in all of ST. This show also has the highest use of ST's infamous 'reset' button; where all drama and character growth is undone by the end of the hour to revert everything back to the status quo. This show should've been Ron Moore's Battlestar Galactica; it settled for Irwin Allen's Lost In Space...

That's my list. Those are my reasons.

TNG

TOS

ENT

DS9

VOY

TNG is first because I love most of its episodes and the way they are told, I love the captain (duh), I love its optimism and I love the future it sets up.

TOS is second because I like the little morality tales that many of the episodes provide.

ENT is third and right in the middle because ever since I've decided to look at it from a parallel universe point of view some of it has actually become tolerable while some of it has remained insufferable.

DS9 is fourth because despite dozens of attempts I have not managed to make myself like it, I dislike the war, I dislike stuff like Section 31, I dislike the lack of exploration, it's just not my kind of show, I've given up.

VOY is fifth because worst captain ever, worst episodes ever, worst everything ever, what even.

TAS I have never really bothered with, so I can't rank it.

DS9 - Best stories, writers and set of characters.

TNG - Good solid base for DS9, some good episodes but some real stinkers too.

TOS - Good, standalone stories and the spark that spawned the rest of the franchise.

TAS - Often off the wall and crazy, but had some cracking ideas in the mix. Case in point, The Lorelei Signal: mad story, but we had Uhura and Chapel come to the fore and take command to save the day at a time when the prevelant attitude in the 70's was the woman should stay in the kitchen etc.

VOY- Had potential, but more than it's fair share of fubar too.

ENT- Only really give a damn about two or three episodes until season 4 came about.

Edited by Starblind

DS9

TNG

VOY

TOS

TAS

ENT

DS9 - interesting character development, long-ranging story arcs and drama.

TNG - warm atmosphere resulting from the genuine chemistry and camaraderie that the cast enjoyed (on screen and off) - a real sense of family.

VOY- Well, some stories were good. At least it had a lot of potential.

TOS - I want to like this more, but it's so old and hammy by the standards of today. The stories are slow, one-diminutional and often variations on a theme.

TAS - I got this for Christmas but haven't got around to watching it yet. It's on my list of things to do this year!

ENT - No redeeming qualities whatsoever.

TOS - the template. Boldly going where no series had gone before.

TAS - Really a continuation of TOS in many respects. Ground breaking in its own right with much of the same talent TOS used. Year 4 of the five year mission in my mind. And with respect to the Great Bird, it is just as much canon as any of the others.

ENT - Not saying it didn't have its flaws (they all did) but was really trying to get back to what TOS was. (And besides, I just don't care too much for the 24th century!)

TNG - Some say TOS all grown up. I have always thought of it as a late teen/twenties something. Full of itself, self-righteous, preachy. The actors/characters saved it for me - especially Picard (Kirk), Riker (McCoy) , Data (Spock), LaForge (Scotty).

VOY - The last two are interchangeable for me in many ways. I give this one a slight advantage today because it was more exploration and less war. More optimistic at times. But some of the characters (Neelix, Kes, Chakotay and Kim) just are terrible. Seven and the Doctor (and to a lesser extent Paris, Torres, Janeway - despite her split personality) are just as appealing as some of the other main characters in TNG

DS9 - To me the best cast and acting of the two TNG spinoffs. Its characters are the most appealing in the 24th century. I found myself really caring what happened in even the "secondary" characters lives. But it was a space station with no boldly going, it was mostly a war story, and it was darker. If this was a BSG or B5 type show it would be at the top of my list but it is Star Trek. (But tomorrow it could be as high as fourth on my list - something I can't say about Voyager.)

TOS -- Can't really rank it, and think comparing it to the 2nd generation of shows is comparing apples to oranges... it's objectively worse than much of the later shows, but was much more groundbreaking when it was new to make up for it. Just like someone said above, it was my "first love" and not just the show that made me a ST fan, but even got me into SF/genre fiction in general. Even today, I can still watch the episodes again and again yet always feel comfortable about it, they beam me back into childhood. So... TOS is a non-competetive first place.

DS9 -- IMO clearly the best of the "2nd generation" Star Trek shows. Deep and complex character development, a relatively mature approach to many problems and ideas, and for that it doesn't become too preachy a lot of almost sit-comish humor to lighten it up. The amazing character dynamics make even the worse episodes watchable (in these regards the opposite to VOY). My favorite Star Trek series.

TNG -- Really good show with some really strong actors (esp. Stewart and Spiner), fairly groundbreaking by establishing concepts that were often copied later by various shows ST and non-ST alike, and I have a slightly stronger nostalgic attachment to it than to DS9. On the con side, it sometimes takes itself a tad too seriously and is a bit dry, could use some more humor.

ENT -- A mixed bag: Found season 1 promising, season 2 mostly boring, hated the Xindi-arc and its militarism in season 3 and totally loved the fan-service in season 4. I like that they tried to go back to TOS in some way, by making the crew feel like a family, including the causual tone and the strong character archetypes. Although many stories were totally unoriginal and copies of copies of copies, I like most of the characters and generally enjoy the show.

VOY -- Clearly the worst ST show by far, IMO. I simply don't care for the characters in the slightest (with the possible exception of Tuvok and the Doctor here and there), even strongly dislike many of them. It's the opposite to DS9 for me: Even the better episodes (story-wise), and there are some, are hardly watchable because the characters suck so much. And then, there are way too many recycled plots and unoriginal episodes.

Can't really rank TAS either, because as an animated series aiming at children, it has a totally different scope than the life action shows. However, I probably rewatch it least of all, even less so than VOY.

Edited by Sim

TOS – first love. She ages disgracefully sometimes, but I will never forget that bolt from the blue the first time she looked at me.

TNG/DS9 – sorry, can’t differentiate between them in terms of affection; they will always tie for many different reasons but there’s no doubt I love both equally. I watched them at time of original broadcast and for me, DS9 took up the baton that TNG proffered and really ran with it, taking Trek to places I never thought it’d go. They each give me different things and yet they have so much in common. Blonde and dusky, beige and brown – don’t tell me that I’m greedy.

ENT – problematical for many reasons much-discussed elsewhere on this board, but I like the crew and there are a lot of entertaining episodes. A skittish, clandestine affair.

TAS - cute and perky, reminds me a lot of that one I used to know.

Some way below:

VOY – I tried, I really did, but it just never happened. There was no chemistry between us.

Edited by Robin Bland

TOS – first love. She ages disgracefully sometimes, but I will never forget that bolt from the blue the first time she looked at me.

TNG/DS9 – sorry, can’t differentiate between them in terms of affection; they will always tie for many different reasons but there’s no doubt I love both equally. I watched them at time of original broadcast and for me, DS9 took up the baton that TNG proffered and really ran with it, taking Trek to places I never thought it’d go. They each give me different things and yet they have so much in common. Blonde and dusky, beige and brown – don’t tell me that I’m greedy.

ENT – problematical for many reasons much-discussed elsewhere on this board, but I like the crew and there are a lot of entertaining episodes. A skittish, clandestine affair.

Some way below:

VOY – I tried, I really did, but it just never happened. There was no chemistry between us.

I love your relationship analogy!! Brilliant Robin, brilliant! :thumbup:

a1f0d78fadc07b34ec68ac69dd5b74a07c805fad_m.gif

If I were characterize all my ST rankings that way, it'd go something like that, I suppose:

* TOS: My first and strongest crush; I see her many years later, and despite some wrinkles and graying hair, she's still gorgeous. She's not perfect, but I just love her. We're happily married now...

* DS9: That passionate, four year college fling that I came this [ ] close to marrying; she got me into a lot of exotic things, and we 'experimented' a lot together. The 'what-if' one...

* TNG: My prom date from high school. Pretty one, but a bit shallow at times. Her dad and I got along really well. We stayed friends, though...

* ENT: That nice girl I used to work with. We used to go to the movies and eat pizza together, and she had a crappy car. We stayed friends.

* TAS: The crazy, younger cousin of TOS. The slightly bohemian girl that everyone told me to stay away from; but I didn't. She reminds me of her cousin sometimes...

* VGR: That creepy, stalkerish girl who threw up in my car and used to call me a lot when she was stoned. Her brothers were all very stupid. I never called her back. Don't really miss her, either...

TNG - had a lot to do with being an 80's child. This was the first one I watched, and the one that turned me on to the Trek franchise. I've watched it several times in reruns, and I certainly have my favorites and stinkers, but overall I think it was the strongest show. It had a strong lead, good supporting characters, and given the tech of the time it was produced had pushed boundaries.

TAS - They were able to do some things that were not feasible at the time in live action. Had some stinkers in there for sure, but was a good watch overall.

TOS - strong leads, cheesy effects but OK given it was the late 60's. Had a few really great episodes, several mediocre ones, and was very inconsistent when it comes to lore. I know it's the best recognized and because of this gets the reboot treatment, but it was never close to my favorite.

VOY - I didn't find much that I liked in the first 3 seasons, but a retool on the fly (addition of Seven, subtraction of Kes) and a revisit of the Borg which was my favorite villain in TNG made it worthwhile. Obviously there were problems with some of the characters, most notably how Janeway was written. Much of the crew was bland. Tuvok was OK but not really a standout, but Russ has done good things for the fan base so his actions post-Voyager made him a stand out IMO. That said, I would put Seven or the Doctor in the upper tier, two characters that really stood out. I liked this series more than others did on this board, as there seems to be this weird rivalry between DS9 and Voyager fans and this appears to be a pretty heavily DS9 board.

DS9 - Having an active dislike or at least apathy for 4 of the main characters (Kira, Sisko, Odo, Dr Bashir) really made it hard for me to get excited about this show. I really disliked the Bajorans, and found myself 'cheering' against them and Kira. At least it had some great supporting and guest characters which dulled my disappointment. It added some important things to Trek canon, and had great battle scenes. Serialization was a barrier at the time, but now it's expected and not a big deal with PVR's. There just aren't any 'star' characters that come out of this series that really stand out like other series. The show had great situational and over-arching plot writing, but the writing lacked when it came to the main characters. I think the serialization style was right if they wanted to do another series, but there are areas (casting, character writing and development) that need improvement.

ENT - Ugh, I just couldn't get into this series. Just another product of the early 00's prequel fad that didn't take off. Terrible writing yanked directly from 9-11/ Iraq War headlines, dull characters, a captain as poorly written as Janeway (early on he's an awe shucks humble guy, and later a complete ass), canon-imposed technical constraints. The temporal cold war had some promise, I thought they might break free of their 22nd century constraints, but kind of fizzled. Fans can hate on it for killing the franchise, but really DS9 and Voyager lagged in the ratings well before they came along and they just were left holding the bag. Nothing touched TNG in the ratings.

Some way below:

I love your relationship analogy!! Brilliant Robin, brilliant! :thumbup:

a1f0d78fadc07b34ec68ac69dd5b74a07c805fad_m.gif

If I were characterize all my ST rankings that way, it'd go something like that, I suppose:

* TOS: My first and strongest crush; I see her many years later, and despite some wrinkles and graying hair, she's still gorgeous. She's not perfect, but I just love her. We're happily married now...

* DS9: That passionate, four year college fling that I came this [ ] close to marrying; she got me into a lot of exotic things, and we 'experimented' a lot together. The 'what-if' one...

* TNG: My prom date from high school. Pretty one, but a bit shallow at times. Her dad and I got along really well. We stayed friends, though...

* ENT: That nice girl I used to work with. We used to go to the movies and eat pizza together, and she had a crappy car. We stayed friends.

* TAS: The crazy, younger cousin of TOS. The slightly bohemian girl that everyone told me to stay away from; but I didn't. She reminds me of her cousin sometimes...

* VGR: That creepy, stalkerish girl who threw up in my car and used to call me a lot when she was stoned. Her brothers were all very stupid. I never called her back. Don't really miss her, either...

:laugh::thumbup:

Ooooh I love this, lemme do the same!

TNG is my husband, through good and bad times.

TOS is the guy I have a deep old friendship with.

ENT is the guy I have a crush on but would never date.

DS9 is the guy I tried to like but failed to do so.

VOY is the guy I talked to once but never want to meet again.

DS9 - My wife, my lover, a lady, a slut, a vixen an angel, everything i want in a woman.

TNG - My ex, i thought she was the one but alas she was not as my wife came along, a lovely girl but just not quite right for me.

Voyager - A nice lass, we had fun times, but never gonna be anything more, guess if she and i were stuck on a desert island alone then maybe thing might have progressed more

ENT - A fleeting clandestine love affair, 2 ships in the night and all that, nice memories

TOS - That girl I remember as a kid, only getting to know her now and kind of growing on me

TAS - Never knew her, struck me as a bit of a bitch and kept my distance

The fan films (Star Trek Phase II and ST Continues) are those gorgeous twins who looked like my wife (TOS) did 20 years ago, when we were first dating... :P:giggle:

Expanding the (amazing!) analogy for a moment to different kinds of relationship:

TOS -- like my parents. Were my biggest idols when I was a kid, always cheered me up when I felt sad and taught me a lot, and although I started seeing they're just human too and have their (sometimes severe) flaws when I slowly grew older, I still love them, feel comfortable and save with them and visit them regularly.

TNG -- like a big brother. Unlike the parents, he was younger and thus "cooler", as he was younger and modern. Yet he always made a great impression on me and was a mentor for a while, taught me a lot about stuff teens care about. But once I was a little older and we were on eyelevel, I sometimes felt he is a bit too serious sometimes and could use a little more humor. But it's always nice to meet him again.

DS9 -- a passionate relationship. A beautiful, energetic and intelligent woman I had the first somewhat mature relationship with and still love.

ENT -- like the buddy I get along well with at the workplace, work would be much less fun without him, and we often chat in the breaks and laugh a lot. Sometimes, he has slightly weird ideas about politics and style, and we hardly ever meet in our free time, but it's nice to see him.

VOY -- the guy at the workplace I don't have a chemistry with at all. We don't talk about anything that's not work-related.

Edited by Sim

Wow! So much love for DS9. Interesting.

Since I've only watched TOS and TNG and some TAS and DS9, I'll only work with the first 2 'cause I don't think I have enough information to rate the other two.

1. TOS

2. TNG

I was about to tie them up 'cause for me it's really hard to decide. TNG has better stories, better effects, a better captain but TOS has Spock and I don't know, TOS will always have the biggest part of my Star Trek heart :)

TOS: it's something like my first love? (sorry, this relationship analogies are hard for me haha).

TNG: it's the second guy I felt in love with but I just kept comparing it to the first one, so it's an obvious 2nd place.

:giggle: Did I start a thing here? :laugh:

Indeed you did.... :P

1) DS9

2) DS9

3) DS9

4) DS9

5) DS9

Then the other shows.

1) DS9

2) DS9

3) DS9

4) DS9

5) DS9

Then the other shows.

So... you I take it you like DS9 then (simply an inference on my part.... :P ).

1) DS9

2) DS9

3) DS9

4) DS9

5) DS9

Then the other shows.

tumblr_mojl62lCAK1rdffpvo1_500.gif

1) DS9

2) DS9

3) DS9

4) DS9

5) DS9

Then the other shows.

tumblr_mojl62lCAK1rdffpvo1_500.gif

"Green blooded hobgoblin...."

hobgoblin.gif

:P

Here's my order...

1. The Next Generation - Cause its the best

2. Voyager - my 2nd most favorite series. Like the idea of Voyager being lost and trying to get home.

3. DS9 - a great series as well....I never really care much for season 1 and 2 but started to like it more when season 3 came.

10. Enterprise - didn't care much for it at all.

Never watched the original series.

Edited by JayTheTrekkie