Sign in to follow this  
Maltz

Gene's rejection of the Animated Series

I know that in the eighties, Gene Roddenberry declared that the animated Trek show of the 70s was not "real" Trek, and didn't count. Does anyone know why exactly he wanted to get rid of it? What didn't he like about it?

I know that in the eighties, Gene Roddenberry declared that the animated Trek show of the 70s was not "real" Trek, and didn't count. Does anyone know why exactly he wanted to get rid of it? What didn't he like about it?

He also claimed STV 'didn't count' either.

I'm sorry, but TAS had almost all of the original cast's voices (sans Koenig's Chekov; who wrote an episode). It was on the air for almost two full seasons. It employed many of the same writers as TOS. In my book? It 'counts' and despite a few left turns into silliness (as well as the cheap music and '70s trappings), the stories are really classic ST at their core. I would say it is a hell of a lot more "Star Trek" than STID, that's for damn sure...

It's funny how this 'illegitimate' ST series was referenced in both TNG ("Unification part 1") as well as ST09 (Spock's childhood). Not to mention it had the first use of a holodeck ("The Practical Joker"); a concept that would be used ad nauseam on TNG and VGR (two 'legitimate') ST series. Roddenberry may have been the 'Great Bird' of ST, but he was also not its best influence sometimes. This is the guy who wanted Ferengi to have huge boy-parts and Betazoid women to be four-breasted. Again; if anyone believes Roddenberry is a 'great' writer? Watch his failed pilots; such as "Genesis II", "Planet Earth" and "Spectre". Some are available on Youtube. They're so bad they should come with vomit bags....

Not to mention that some of TOS' best episodes and ideas were NOT his; the Klingons were invented by Gene L. Coon (Roddenberry only named them; after his former LAPD partner, Wilbur Clingan; good thing he didn't name them "Wihlburrs"). The Romulans were invented by writer Paul Schneider (whose son was into the Roman Empire at the time, and told his dad he should work them into his story). Even the Organian peace treaty wasn't his (David Gerrold gets that one). He's also the guy who wrote some of the worst and silliest ("Omega Glory" and "Savage Curtain" anyone?).

In fact, I'd say the best thing Roddenberry ever did for ST was write "The Cage" (arguably his best work ever) and then just stay the hell out of the way.....

I can't find it now, but I read an article somewhere recently that explained the whole business. I can't remember most of it but it seemed that the "decanonisation" of TAS was due to a conflict over licensing between Roddenberry and one of the Paramount guys when TNG was in pre-production. I personally loathe most of TAS so I'm not going to decry the move, but I don't think it was done out of malice or dislike for it on Roddenberry's part.

There were things done to save on animation like the life support belts rather than space suits. The show was targeted towards children rather than adults. It was still worth watching, but like every series there are a few excellent episodes, and a few that were poor and forgettable. For me, it's partially canon. Some episodes and elements from the show are as good as canon, some of it is just for the kids.

There were things done to save on animation like the life support belts rather than space suits. The show was targeted towards children rather than adults. It was still worth watching, but like every series there are a few excellent episodes, and a few that were poor and forgettable. For me, it's partially canon. Some episodes and elements from the show are as good as canon, some of it is just for the kids.

As far as I'm concerned? Canon has always been a pick-and-choose affair anyway. I'm not slavish to what doesn't work; if I like something? It's automatic head-canon. If I don't (I'm looking at YOU, "These Are The Voyages...")? It's forgotten. I suppose that Roddenberry was more than entitled to do the same, but his picks don't necessarily make something 'canon' for me or not...

I've not heard that about Gene's ideas for the Ferengi and Betazoids before. Anywhere I can read about it in more detail?

I've not heard that about Gene's ideas for the Ferengi and Betazoids before. Anywhere I can read about it in more detail?

The Art of Star Trek (Judy & Gar Reeves-Stevens) touches on it, but "Creating the Next Generation: (Mark Altman & Edward Gross) and "The Captain's Logs: The Unauthorized Complete Trek Voyages" (same authors) offer more detail, especially "Creating...".

As far as I'm concerned? Canon has always been a pick-and-choose affair anyway. I'm not slavish to what doesn't work; if I like something? It's automatic head-canon. If I don't (I'm looking at YOU, "These Are The Voyages...")? It's forgotten.

Your hypnotherapist is slipping. ;)

As far as I'm concerned? Canon has always been a pick-and-choose affair anyway. I'm not slavish to what doesn't work; if I like something? It's automatic head-canon. If I don't (I'm looking at YOU, "These Are The Voyages...")? It's forgotten.

Your hypnotherapist is slipping. ;)

It's freedom... try it. :P

I've been a Sherlock Holmes fan since middle school; I'm used to 'picking and choosing' canon based on personal preference...

Sign in to follow this