Sign in to follow this  
Ghost of Sam Kirk

Trek Book Club?

Alright, I poked around and didn't have a lock on this being anywhere else on the site. So if it is please direct me to such a place. As of late I have noticed quite a few posts regarding Trek Books and who is reading what. One thread even debates if such books can/should qualify as canon. For me one of the reasons I have not read the books as of late (last ten years) is that really, I had no one to discuss them with. One of the great things about Trek is the social aspects that allows us to break down every episode and dissect it in a manner that brings meaning to us. So while the books may be great I have missed the opportunity to discuss them and dissect them like like an episode.

So my proposal is a Trekcore (Trek) Book Club. I would envision that we could start by throwing out suggestions and then once we agree upon the Trek book read it and discuss. Now I am not a book club kind of guy, but I love nothing more that discussing the finer points of Trek weather it be screen or print. So throw out your suggestions and we can figure out what to read. We could throw out suggestions for the next 24 hours and then give each other two weeks to acquire and read the books. No spoilers.

Just a thought let me know what you think. I will throw out my suggestion briefly. Also the book could come from any series and does not have to be confined to some of the newer one. We know Gus will probably offer a suggestions from the Shatner-verse.

I've actually only really just started wading back into the book universe and I have found them to be hit and miss. But I'm open to the idea.

Regarding the Shatnerverse, there are 10 books, and the quality goes to excellent to very bad, Here is how I rated the Shatnerverse books.

EXCELLENT :

THE ASHES OF EDEN

THE RETURN

SPECTRE

DARK VICTORY

GOOD :

AVENGER

PRESERVER

CAPTAINS BLOOD

CAPTAINS GLORY

BAD :

CAPTAINS PERIL

THE ACADEMY COLLISION COURSE

Each book ends in a cliffhanger to the next book, so if you want to get the all story of James Kirk return to life in the 24th Century I recoomend read all 10 books. Read THE ASHES OF EDEN and THE RETURN first and if you like it, go ahead in the other books. The only book I would tell you NOT to read at all is THE ACADEMY, which a prequel JJ Trek style. Have a nice reading.

Gus

PS : THE ASHES OF EDEN is also available as a gorgeous graphic novel from DC Comics, art by Steve Erwin.

Ashes_of_eden_comic.jpg

PS 2 : There is an AWESOME Shatnerverse article in this months STAR TREK MAGAZINE. Recommended.

The_Academy_Collision_Course.jpg

Best,

Gus

The original Shatner-verse books I actually listened to on tape when I would drive back and forth from college to home over breaks. It was a ten hour drive, so books on tape were a good listen. Regarding Collision Course, I gotta say I have actually read it and didn't really mind it all that much. I thought it was fun if not filled with Shatner's ego.

Well this went no where fast, but I stopped by the used bookstore and picked up three books.

Ashes of Eden

TNG: The Dominion War Book One

TOS: Prime Directive

Think I am starting with Ashes of Eden. Gus...this ones for you.

Edited by Ghost of Sam Kirk

STAR TREK THE NEXT GENERATION COLD EQUATIONS

Another excellent trilogy of TNG books written by David Mack (yje author of the seminal STAR TREK trilogy featuring the Borg, STAR TREK DESTINY)

919134_10202928392430001_739720943_o.jpg

Otter books recommended :

STAR TREK FEDERATION

Federation_book.jpg

STAR TREK RESISTANCE

Resistance.jpg

Gus

DESTINY comes first. It changes everything for the characters and the Federation.

Then you can read TYPHON PACT and COLD EQUATIONS.

I liked TYPHON PACT a lot, but I know a lot of people which find it dissapointing.

I cant talk why without revealing spoilers, but give it a try, Sam.

Gus

AHES OF EDEN rocks !

And the ending - big surprise.

There is a comic book adaptation of ASHES OF EDEN by DC Comics in 1995. Beatiful art by Steve Erwin. Recommended.

Eden18.jpg

gUS

Gus- those are some excellent suggestions.

Last year we started covering the new book releases at TrekCore. We have reviews every month and interviews with each author. I'm very interested to hear feedback from people here about our coverage - does it appeal? Anything else you think we could do to cover the books??

You can find the articles here: http://trekcore.com/blog/category/books/

Bill says : "Please.......BUY......my......BOOK !"

541506_739195806098550_1833150149_n.jpg

STAR TREK PRESERVER is a wonderful read.

Gus

To quote STV's "God"...

"Bring the money... closer.... that I may join with it. Do it."

Your TrekCore book reviews are very impressed. It has been a long time since I read them (busy with TrekWeb, working like a horse) but I will read the recent reviews like THE FALL and so forth. As everything here on TrekCore, it is really amazing. Congrats to you and your reviewere (and I noticed you just post a comics review from Patrick - great stuff, made me nostalgic about TrekWeb). Best,

Gus

Ashes of Eden, good read. Look forward to the The Return as soon as I find a copy to order.

Update

That was last night's real quick update. Now in looking at Ashes of Eden, just a solid adventure for the Enterprise crew. The book takes place after the events of The Undiscovered Country and the crew has scattered to different parts of the Alpha Quadrant. What is really interesting and perhaps what I enjoyed the most about the book is that the political aspect of it really did deal with the fallout of what happened at Khitomer in ST VI. I am not sure what to write without giving away too much of the plot line but it was definately a nice adventure and I look forward to continuing the trilogy by reading The Return. In the meantime I have TNG: Dominion War (Book One) and TOS: Prime Directive at home. I will be starting one of them the tonight. Leaning toward Prime Directive as it is a stand alone and not part of a larger series. Plus the reviews of amazon are largely positive. Regardless, I have a lot of reading to catch up on.

Edited by Ghost of Sam Kirk

Excellent, Sam. Hope you order the ASHES OF EDEN graphic novel also, because the art of Steve ERwin is fantastic. If you have time order also the graphic novel STAR TREK DEBT OF HONOR, written by X-MEN writer Chris Clameront, and thank me later. It is really awesome.

Debt_of_Honor_Comic.jpg

Best,

Gus

I loved The Return. I remember reading it on vacation one weekend when I was in middle school. The fastest I ever got through a Star Trek book. Couldn't put it down. I also remember liking the Mirror Universe book Spectre, but I never picked up the other books in the series. Maybe I should give it a shot.

Edited by Locutus

Maybe you should DARK VICTORY and PRESERVER are awesome books, almost perfect epic Star Trek, by Shatner and the Reeves-Stevens.

51GQ3KCX5ZL.jpg

Go read them and thank me later.

Gus

Sam, here is another cover of STAR TREK DEBT OF HONOR by artist Adam Hughes

Trek just dont get better than this. You gotta read this 25th anniversary graphic novel by DC Comics. You gonna love it.

1656362_741212825896848_1383962137_n.jpg

Best,

Gus

Sign in to follow this