Lt_Buttler

What is everyones issue with Gates Mcfadden...

Muldaur not having her name in the opening credits always bugged me. Even if she only intended to stay a year why would it matter? Reminds me of Jonathan Harris being the Special Guest Star of Lost in Space for it's run, no point to it.

Agreed.

Although I think Harris probably insisted on it because he was such a notorious ham (and that phony-baloney English accent... c'mon, the guy was from the Bronx! ).

Zef'No   

Muldaur not having her name in the opening credits always bugged me. Even if she only intended to stay a year why would it matter? Reminds me of Jonathan Harris being the Special Guest Star of Lost in Space for it's run, no point to it.

An actors life is a funny one.

I don't profess to be an expert on such things by any means, but it could well be that she thought saying she made a "special appearance" on selected TNG episodes looked better on a resumé than saying she "also starred" in an entire season. There may have been fears of getting typecast and such like, and if it was true that she only intended to be there temporarily, then it might look like she was fired if she was listed as a star for just one year (as mentioned above). Remember the show back then was rather unstable and still finding its feet; it could still have turned out to be a failure. It's much harder for a star to disassociate herself from a show than it is for an occasional guest star.

another source says McFadden left to pursue movies and came back (tail tucked between her legs) when the offers didn't exactly pan out (i.e, her blink-and-you'll-miss-it part in "The Hunt For Red October"), and yet another more popular version I keep hearing (a LOT) is that she was being sexually harassed by both Roddenberry and a friend of his lawyer Leonard Maizlish, and she only (reluctantly) came back when she was assured (by Berman) that the harassment would stop.

I tend to believe that the truth is probably somewhere between these two points. Roddenberry's behavior toward women was no secret. This could easily have led her to start taking some of those Hollywood offers. Their failure to morph into anything ongoing coupled with Berman's promise could have easily led her back.

But fan outcry? Yeah, no.

I don't know as I was only 1 when TNG started airing, all I remember is when TNG would come on, we'd watch it. So, obviously I would have no memories of her departure from the show during the shows run.

But as my grown-up, watched the series a couple of times opinion is: I've always preferred Gates to the argumentative, female-McCoy look-a-like. I mean, in all seriousness, they channeled so much of DeForrest's character into Muldaur it's always made me roll my eyes. True, Gates was no diamond-in-the-rough, but she felt more original to me than Muldaur.

With that said though, Muldaur certainly had more spirit to her (I think they might have pushed it a tad too hard in most cases, though).

Edited by Admiral Harmon

I've always preferred Gates to the argumentative, female-McCoy look-a-like.

Leonard_McCoy,_2267.jpg65399_640.jpg

Lookalike?!? Really?? :vulcan:

Yesh.

Um... OK. :dontgetit:

An actors life is a funny one.

I don't profess to be an expert on such things by any means, but it could well be that she thought saying she made a "special appearance" on selected TNG episodes looked better on a resumé than saying she "also starred" in an entire season. There may have been fears of getting typecast and such like, and if it was true that she only intended to be there temporarily, then it might look like she was fired if she was listed as a star for just one year (as mentioned above). Remember the show back then was rather unstable and still finding its feet; it could still have turned out to be a failure. It's much harder for a star to disassociate herself from a show than it is for an occasional guest star.

I don't think that would have fooled anyone. If memory serves Diana was in all but maybe one season 2 episodes, and she is in all the season 2 cast photos. I don't get how she's credited would have affected future work in that case. Would she not have been considered for the LA Law role the next year if her name had been in the opening credits? Wouldn't have made a difference how she fell (sorry, bad pun considering that character's demise) into that role.

Zef'No   
If memory serves Diana was in all but maybe one season 2 episodes, and she is in all the season 2 cast photos. I don't get how she's credited would have affected future work in that case.

Ah, you and I know she was in almost all season 2 episodes (off the top of my head, I think Q Who is the only exception but there might be another), but a casting director of another show (back then) might not have done. And especially if TNG had failed, a closer association to it probably wouldn't have looked great. As it turned out, it was a huge success and so she (or more likely, her agent) didn't have anything to worry about, but back then... who knows.

And especially if TNG had failed, a closer association to it probably wouldn't have looked great.

(Shrug) Ted McGinley still gets work. Lots of actors work failed series. Some go from fail to fail to fail and still get work. Ultimately I don't think it matters.

Hammer   

I thought that Muldaur insisted on her name not being in the title credits. Maybe she was too cool for school? Who knows? It's not like it was her first Trek gig.

As for the harassment rumour, I don't think that's a stretch at all. The under-developed character theory? Well all the female characters were pretty poorly developed, so that's pretty easy to believe. Stewart went to bat for her? Well maybe... we do know that he felt like his character needed more romantic development, and it was strongly suggested in S1 that there was something going on between the two characters. The truth might be a combination of these factors.

I thought that Muldaur insisted on her name not being in the title credits. Maybe she was too cool for school? Who knows? It's not like it was her first Trek gig.

As for the harassment rumour, I don't think that's a stretch at all. The under-developed character theory? Well all the female characters were pretty poorly developed, so that's pretty easy to believe. Stewart went to bat for her? Well maybe... we do know that he felt like his character needed more romantic development, and it was strongly suggested in S1 that there was something going on between the two characters. The truth might be a combination of these factors.

Here's what IMDB says (take it with a grain of salt; after all, it's only IMDB... the Wikipedia of entertainment sites).

When Gates McFadden originally signed on for Star Trek: The Next Generation (1987), it was on the understanding that her character would ultimately become a romantic foil for Captain Jean-Luc Picard. This did not materialize and she was becoming increasingly frustrated with the lack of character development for Dr Crusher. Clashes with the producers led to her being released from her contract, hence Dr Crusher's absence from Season 2 and replacement by Dr Kate Pulaski, played by Diana Muldaur. Ironically Muldaur would later decide that serial television was not for her, so producer Rick Bermanpersonally phoned McFadden to try to convince her to return for Season 3. A call from her dear friend Patrick Stewart clinched the deal for McFadden.

It sounds like Muldaur was reluctant to join a TV show on a permanent basis, so perhaps leaving her name off the credits was her emergency escape hatch...

Not to make light of sexual harassment - but would a person really go back to work under someone that sexually harassed them? Even if they were told "I promise - no more of it will occur." ???

Not to make light of sexual harassment - but would a person really go back to work under someone that sexually harassed them? Even if they were told "I promise - no more of it will occur." ???

They might if the alleged harasser (rumored to be Roddenberry) was on his deathbed.

They might if the alleged harasser (rumored to be Roddenberry) was on his deathbed.

Yes.

Or if they put enough trust in the person making the promise. They feel the person gets the gravity of the complaint and the one making the promise actually has the power to keep it. Paramount put Berman there to secure its interests. At that point Roddenberry had pretty much already been excised from all but the most basic involvement in the films (i.e. sends a rambling JFK time travel movie memo and tell us Starfleet is not military that we will promptly read and then shred)

I doubt they cared about the McFadden issue (if there was one) I suspect that, due to his failing health, the fact that the show was self-sustaining at that that point, and the fact that they seemed to be done with Gene overall, that they made clear, implicitly or explicitly to Berman, that he was in charge.

So the new head of production assures you all will be well? That could be enough.

Edited by prometheus59650

...still think Muldaur was totally (and unjustly) fired.

I don't think she was fired.

She has said that she never intended to do TNG more than the one year anyway. That's (partly) why she declined to have her name in the opening credits.

But of course that could be a handy excuse to use in retrospect so it doesn't look bad on a resumé.

I guess we'll never truly know the answers to all this.

Being a "Special Guest Star" vs. a regular cast member is a union/contract issue. As a guest star she is paid per episode rather than a season/salary pay. As a result she was paid a lot more for the seasons work then most other cast members - this resulted in resentment from other cast members.

Beverly was one of my fave characters on "TNG", and I think Gates did a great job with the role. My only issue comes from meeting her at a convention about 2 years ago; I'd asked for a "fan shot" with my own camera, because I didn't have the cash for an autograph. She stayed silent, and looked to her agent..who told me they weren't allowing pictures without purchases. I was really disappointed, not just by the refusal, but by her agent being a mouthpiece. It was the strangest thing, like she had no say in the matter. If I ever meet her at a show again, I hope things go more smoothly.

Sim   

Perhaps I said it before, but I don't hate the character of Crusher. It's just that she isn't interesting either. She's just there, neither annoying nor impressing me.

Pulaski, on the other side, was a really interesting character.

Perhaps I said it before, but I don't hate the character of Crusher. It's just that she isn't interesting either. She's just there, neither annoying nor impressing me.

Pulaski, on the other side, was a really interesting character.

I have to say, regarding your comment on Crusher, I agree. I do not hate nor love the character, she just wasn't that interesting.

When I first watched season two with Pulaski I did not really like her but in the years after, I began to appreciate her and I have to admit, last time I watched season two on Blu, I found her to be more interesting as a doctor as Crusher has ever been.

Never liked Crusher.

She was simply an unsuccessful character IMO, and she wasn't particularly well-played either.

Reminded too much of Barbara Bain's Helena Russell on "Space 1999"; also written and played as a woman with a poorly-written, dim-witted, quasi-attraction to her commanding officer.

I think the idea of a female CMO is great; but why sabotage that character by making her go all dewy-eyed for her captain? A woman can't be of a high rank without having a 'thing' for her CO? That's nonsense AND sexist. They did a similar disservice to Troi on the show (with she and Riker being exes). What was supposed to be 'progressive' in 1987 turned out to be more sexist and chauvinistic than Uhura's miniskirt.

Not to mention Crusher's innumerable bad calls made on the show; I'd feel safer being treated by a first year med student.

Just my opinion, of course; others may (and will) vary.

Edit: I don't mean to slam McFadden as an actress, as I'm not sure if some of her seemingly awkward character choices were her own choices, or suggestions from writers/directors. I've seen actors outside of ST who are far more interesting than they were allowed to be within the limits of the series (ENT's Anthony Montgomery was terrific in an indie film I saw on cable called, "I'm Through With White Girls" [2007] ).

Never liked Crusher.

She was simply an unsuccessful character IMO, and she wasn't particularly well-played either.

Reminded too much of Barbara Bain's Helena Russell on "Space 1999"; also written and played as a woman with a poorly-written, dim-witted, quasi-attraction to her commanding officer.

I think the idea of a female CMO is great; but why sabotage that character by making her go all dewy-eyed for her captain? A woman can't be of a high rank without having a 'thing' for her CO? That's nonsense AND sexist. They did a similar disservice to Troi on the show (with she and Riker being exes). What was supposed to be 'progressive' in 1987 turned out to be more sexist and chauvinistic than Uhura's miniskirt.

Not to mention Crusher's innumerable bad calls made on the show; I'd feel safer being treated by a first year med student.

Edit: I don't mean to slam McFadden as an actress, as I'm not sure if some of her seemingly awkward character choices were her own choices, or suggestions from writers/directors. I've seen actors outside of ST who are far more interesting than they were allowed to be within the limits of the series (ENT's Anthony Montgomery was terrific in an indie film I saw on cable called, "I'm Through With White Girls" [2007] ).

Yeah, no problems with the actress. She was great fun when I've seen her at conventions. The problem is the fact that she repeatedly manipulated Picard's guilt and his feelings for her to get away with murder. Not to mention the fact that, as much as she knocked others from atop her high horse, she made some pretty morally questionable decisions herself.

Benedict   

Beverly was one of my fave characters on "TNG", and I think Gates did a great job with the role. My only issue comes from meeting her at a convention about 2 years ago; I'd asked for a "fan shot" with my own camera, because I didn't have the cash for an autograph. She stayed silent, and looked to her agent..who told me they weren't allowing pictures without purchases. I was really disappointed, not just by the refusal, but by her agent being a mouthpiece. It was the strangest thing, like she had no say in the matter. If I ever meet her at a show again, I hope things go more smoothly.

Refreshing view and opening opinion. Still, I've heard of stories about photos vis a vis McFadden. On the Collectormania forum it was about the camera flash and something about her having migraines or something like that. Made me a bit anxious about asking but as it turned out I never got to go that time round.

Regrettably, Beverly wasn't done as perhaps she should've been. Never made sense to have be a foil for Picard, Jack's friend and commanding officer -who was indirectly responsible for his death and whatnot. Or so goes some bits I've read. Shame she's attracted discord consequently.

Edited by Dirk Benedict

kenman   

I've always preferred Crusher to Pulaski. Pulaski may have added a McCoy element, but she seemed too much like a McCoy analog for me...the series in the first season felt like it was trying to hard to recapture the magic of the Original with limited success, i.e. The Naked Now. Bringing in Pulaski felt like a step backwards to me, trying even harder to recapture the original instead of stepping out of it's shadow. Crusher felt more like a unique take on the Doctor character, though I can see her as being written badly or underwritten. I also felt Pulaski's relationship with Data was a forced attempt to recapture the magic of the Spock-McCoy banter, and it always felt ham-fisted and weak to me, even though it was well done in Elementary, Dear Data.

Personally I always preferred Crusher, and I liked her relationship with Picard, but felt that she was always underwritten and under-utilized. She is certainly, for me, the preferred Crusher and the preferred Doctor.

As for Gates, I can't knock anyone who was a choreographer for the Muppets.

Sim   

Never liked Crusher.

I agree that writing a female character like that was not progressive at all in 1987, even sexist to some extent ... but when I look at her disconnected from that off-screen context, her relationship with Picard is not uninteresting. It just bothers me that they never made anything out of it. We just got "Attached" in season 7(!) and then her role as Picard's ex-wife in "All Good Things". That was a wasted opportunity. But they never made anything of that suggested connection to Picard, that's what bothers me.

As for ignoring the off-screen message ... it's much like I can tolerate *some*f of the TOS sexism. For example, MacGiver's devote 60s gender role behavior in "Space Seed" ... when I first saw the episode, I was too young to understand the gender role context and simply assumed this particular woman is just stupid/silly. Similar about "Turnabout Intruder", although here, it is almost impossible to ignore the statements made on-screen.

I mean, just because race and gender equality has been achieved in the 23rd/24th century, it doesn't mean there can't be a ship there with an all-white or all-male leading staff, or with some silly or stupid female crewmembers. That's just "post-gender" then.

I guess that's how I always saw Crusher as well. Sure, TNG had a lack of strong female roles after Tasha left, but I never blamed it on Crusher.

And even when looking at TNG from that angle, they at least brought in Tasha at first. It wasn't their fault when Denise Crosby suddenly decided to leave, even if that ripped a hole into the gender-progressive message of the show. Sure, they could have replaced her by another female role, but on the other side, Worf really was the natural fit for security chief.

I think McFadden was fired at end of first season because head writer Maurice Hurley "he had a real bone to pick (Rick Berman told TrekMovie)" with Gates and didn’t like her acting, Berman brought Gates back for 3rd season after Hurley left