Lt_Buttler

What is everyones issue with Gates Mcfadden...

yes, when I said wil i should have stated wesley.

As for character awful writing.

concerning sub rosa, its like oh she is a woman lets take the easy route and stick her in a love story, glam her up a bit and that will do.In terms of trek, it was abysmal.

No argument whatsoever that the episode was pretty horrid Trek.

concerning sub rosa, its like oh she is a woman lets take the easy route and stick her in a love story, glam her up a bit and that will do.In terms of trek, it was abysmal.

Did you have to mention "Sub Rosa"? There goes years of mental repression... :laugh:

I not only dislike that episode, but I actively despise it.

Easily a new low for Crusher. Not to mention the planet of Bad Jimmy Doohan impersonators....

Did you have to mention "Sub Rosa"? There goes years of mental repression... :laugh:

Easily a new low for Crusher. Not to mention the planet of Bad Jimmy Doohan impersonators....

At least now you have something new for your hypnotherapist to purge from your memory. :)

At least now you have something new for your hypnotherapist to purge from your memory. :)

* Sehlat Vie wakes up in the hypnotist's office.... *

total_recall_you_blew_my_cover.jpg

:giggle:

Hammer   

I think both doctors were written pretty poorly. Pulaski was a McCoy clone and was a foil to Data's character, but unlike Spock, Data couldn't really fight back. They tried to ram a bunch of her character development down the viewer's throats early in Season 2, before finally giving up on the character altogether. A lot of airtime was wasted on developing a character we would never see or hear mentioned again, no matter how much better of an actress she was than Gates.

Crusher was a background love interest for Picard that never really got fleshed out. It seemed like they were hinting at an earlier affair between the two, and even possibly questioning Wesley's paternity, but they shelved those hints very soon. Probably this was because they knew that they didn't want her to be a central character. She was opinionated and her failures were often plot devices to get a story going. She wasn't really believable as Wesley's mother or a doctor and had some weak points in her acting due to her not being able to pull off some ridiculous lines. To top it off, her character simply wasn't interesting.

Crusher was a background love interest for Picard that never really got fleshed out. It seemed like they were hinting at an earlier affair between the two, and even possibly questioning Wesley's paternity, but they shelved those hints very soon

It was fleshed out fine. Beverly was Jack's wife. Picard had feelings for her. Picard sent Jack to his death and felt guilty over it. Beverly used that to tease him mercilessly and as a means of doing whatever she pleased.

I must confess I was expecting to see Mr. Picard's opinion here but I think he just got bored of saying the same thing over and over again about Crusher :laugh:

On the other hand, all of your opinions are very very insightful, I don't think I can make a detailed analysis about Crusher but I'll give my two cents to the thread.

Particularly I don't hate Crusher (or any character), she's just not my favourite. I think she has some nice moments, like "Suspicions" when she investigates everything about the device they were going to use for the sun thing, I enjoyed that episode 'cause it kinda showed that she could win her own fights even when some people were against her, BUT she also has the dubious distinction of being the main character of an episode which I consider the worst I've watched so far in Star Trek: "Sub Rosa" (I must clarify I'm still watching DS9 S3 so, according to the opinion of many people here, that could change once I start watching Voyager lol!). I don't know, that episode was awful to watch, as a girl I felt a little humiliated, I just couldn't believe that someone who is a doctor and a scientist and the chief medical officer of the flagship of the Federation hadn't just stopped for a moment to think why leaving everything behind for her ghost lover was plainly WRONG!! And I'm not talking about love or lust for someone I'm talking about some entity who was clearly damaging her in some way. But, had it been Troi I would have thought the same so I just think Crusher was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I also didn't like her sexual tension with Picard, not because I shipped them with other people or something, I just think it felt forced. About Wesley: hmm I don't know, she wasn't that bad, sometimes it was really cute between them.

But I don't hate Crusher, she's just not my favourite. I could make some similar comments about Troi or any other character. They all good and bad moments.

Oh and of course like everybody said: I don't hate Gates McFadden, in fact I like her tweets a lot, especially when they have to do with Brent Spiner :inlove:

Edited by notaplayer83

Dr. Crusher isn't my favorite....she was an alright character. I did like Dr. Pulaski more.

I like Pulaski MUCH more... still think Muldaur was totally (and unjustly) fired.

Dr. Crusher isn't my favorite....she was an alright character. I did like Dr. Pulaski more.

I like Pulaski MUCH more... still think Muldaur was totally (and unjustly) fired.

Preach it. I didn't miss crusher at all and honestly wondered why they bothered bringing her back.

I didn't mind Gates McFadden or Dr. Crusher. Some episodes just didn't do her justice.I agree about Sub Rosa. Someone writing that one just loved the Beauty and the Beast TV show and wanted to make a spooky episode about romance and monsters, and misunderstood monsters, but didn't get it right. I it had merely been about Vincent like alien dude tries to swoon Crusher it would have made more sense. The ending was silly.

As I recall, Gates wasn't fired. She had a deal to do something else, shoot a movie or something, and couldn't come back for season 2. Then she finished the deal and came back. Could be wrong. It appears thewre are conflicting stories on this. One she had other plans, another she was asked to leave, but fans wanted her back. The show was too new for fan letter writing at that point, so I'll go with Muldaur ended up not working out either so they asked her to return.

One interesting tidbit is her hair isn't red. Every time you see her on the show she is wearing some sort of wig. Her real hair didn't look like what they wanted. Not sure why they couldn't just style it.

Edited by Chimera82405

At Wikipedia, it was stated that Gates was fired due to her character not being developed well. Of course, Wikipedia isn't that reliable...probably got that part wrong stating she was fired. More like let go is what the editor should have gone with instead. At Star Trek wikia, it didn't say she was fired though. She did persue other career optioins after season 1 and then came back for the rest of the other seasons.

Edited by JayTheTrekkie

probably got that part wrong stating she was fired. More like let go is what the editor should have gone with instead.

No reason to split hairs over terminology. "Let go" = "Fired."

probably got that part wrong stating she was fired. More like let go is what the editor should have gone with instead.

"Let go" is the kind of terminology one uses to avoid a blowout at the workplace.... :P

"Let go" is the kind of terminology one uses to avoid a blowout at the workplace.... :P

:laugh: Indeed

Hm, I don't really have an issue with neither Crusher nor McFadden, but think the character is very bland. I prefer Pulaski too.

You hit the nail on the head here... my thoughts exactly. McFadden's character was really flat. Back in the day I never cared too much for Pulaski... but going back and watching season 2 on Blu ray really made me appreciate the character. Pulaski was a missed opportunity. Too bad she never came back - that said she had more to do in season 2 than Crusher did throughout the entire series.

So how did she get to come back?

That's a very good question. I've heard it vary greatly depending on who is retelling it.

One version says Patrick Stewart championed her return (I've a hard time believing this one personally), another source says McFadden left to pursue movies and came back (tail tucked between her legs) when the offers didn't exactly pan out (i.e, her blink-and-you'll-miss-it part in "The Hunt For Red October"), and yet another more popular version I keep hearing (a LOT) is that she was being sexually harassed by both Roddenberry and a friend of his lawyer Leonard Maizlish, and she only (reluctantly) came back when she was assured (by Berman) that the harassment would stop. And of course, there is the 'rated-G' version; that fan response was so overwhelming following her departure that the producers realized that they made a mistake and humbly asked for her to come back (if you believe this one? I've got some property in Atlantis you might want to buy...).

So again, it's a Roshomon thing; depending on whom one believes? It's any (or all?) of these things...

another source says McFadden left to pursue movies and came back (tail tucked between her legs) when the offers didn't exactly pan out (i.e, her blink-and-you'll-miss-it part in "The Hunt For Red October"), and yet another more popular version I keep hearing (a LOT) is that she was being sexually harassed by both Roddenberry and a friend of his lawyer Leonard Maizlish, and she only (reluctantly) came back when she was assured (by Berman) that the harassment would stop.

I tend to believe that the truth is probably somewhere between these two points. Roddenberry's behavior toward women was no secret. This could easily have led her to start taking some of those Hollywood offers. Their failure to morph into anything ongoing coupled with Berman's promise could have easily led her back.

But fan outcry? Yeah, no.

Zef'No   
...still think Muldaur was totally (and unjustly) fired.

I don't think she was fired.

She has said that she never intended to do TNG more than the one year anyway. That's (partly) why she declined to have her name in the opening credits.

But of course that could be a handy excuse to use in retrospect so it doesn't look bad on a resumé.

I guess we'll never truly know the answers to all this.

Muldaur not having her name in the opening credits always bugged me. Even if she only intended to stay a year why would it matter? Reminds me of Jonathan Harris being the Special Guest Star of Lost in Space for it's run, no point to it.