Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sehlat Vie

Attended the IMATS (International Makeup Artist Trade Show) today, in Pasadena...

11 posts in this topic

Today, my wife and I took a much-needed break from our house woes (our house flooded last weekend; the damage is all covered by insurance and we're living out of a hotel, but we're OK) and attended the IMATS (International Makeup Artists Trade Show) convention in Pasadena (we bought tickets a couple months ago). It was a lot of fun! Saw many makeups from horror movies, scifi shows/films ("Buffy" "Star Trek" etc) and even met Michael Westmore, the Oscar winning makeup legend who worked on ROCKY, 2010 and did 18 years (!) of Star Trek (beginning with TNG, and ending in ENT). It was an honor to meet and talk with him! My wife and I had a wonderful time (and we really needed it today, too!). :)

Anyway, a picture's worth a thousand words, and I have around 130 or so to share, so here's the link:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/18703657@N03/sets/72157639918564533/

And here are some choice highlights:

12022808086_cca1d0c685.jpg << Oscar winning makeup artist/legend Michael Westmore and I.

12022254033_30089d525b_z.jpg << Posing with various cast members from the SyFy channel series "Face Off" (including season 3 winner Nicole Chilelli).

12022353124_0afdd0d5c1_z.jpg << Some of the makeups in the makeup museum....

12021922645_582e673475_z.jpg12022114173_1a5c95a680_z.jpg

12022131203_c6235d4704_z.jpg12022785596_59f296085c_z.jpg

The rest are in the above slideshow; if you follow the link you'll see the captioned versions of the pictures on my Flickr page. Enjoy!

Looks great. Thanks for sharing.

I so do appreciate you taking a pic of the real Gorn. :P

Why was Tim Curry's iconic Darkness character from Legend "blue"?

I am a HUGE anime fan, I was an anime fan before I became a Star Trek fan. My favorite anime is.....

SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO in animation......

52713b38903bf-1.jpg

.........and live action.

4d035a6336ddc-1.jpg

I also love SUPERDIMENSIONAL FORTRESS MACROSS.....

4bbb24551866f-1.jpg

...........and NEON GENESIS EVAGELION.

evangelion.JPG

Have a huge anime DVD collection, I am abig "otaku" (fanboy). Nuff said'

Gus

Looks great. Thanks for sharing.

I so do appreciate you taking a pic of the real Gorn. :P

Why was Tim Curry's iconic Darkness character from Legend "blue"?

I have no idea. Apparently someone thought it would just look... cooler. :laugh:

Have a huge anime DVD collection, I am abig "otaku" (fanboy). Nuff said'

Gus

Sorry Gus... that was the other thread. :( This was a makeup artist convention.....

Time to blow some dust off of this old thread, since Mrs Vie and I (and a friend of ours) attended the 2015 IMATS (International Makeup Artists Trade Show) convention in Pasadena yesterday.

It was terrific! We had a great time.

Here are the photos:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/18703657@N03/sets/72157650340480221/

A personal highlight for me was meeting multiple academy award winning makeup artist Ve Neill (!).

She is the makeup artist for ST-TMP, Beetlejuice, Tim Burton's Batman movies, the Hunger Games, Ed Wood, and many, many others.

She is also a very nice lady, too.

1a8a3165f93fdd03b127b1e5388fff63.jpg

Also saw a few other cool things...

fb3d9b3bd0169922afff7d7b22b82264.jpged930fe560548d960fe3ba943aae72df.jpg

2504a2483d05dd59663b7396d6fd7ccc.jpg4d52bb30327836941d79475c146f39da.jpg

There are many more in the highlighted link above. Enjoy! :)

Blowing a bit more dust off this thread....

UPDATE:  From today's show, January 16, 2016.

Mrs Vie and I attended the IMATS (International Makeup Artists Trade Show) today in Pasadena; it was AMAZING!   They had a Star Trek 50 Years of Makeups Panel, with Michael Westmore and many of his team from the various ST series, from 1987-2005.   It was pretty groovy.

Anyway, the pictures will speak for themselves; each is captioned if you hover the cursor over it, or click on it for more information.   Enjoy!  :)

IMATS Convention, Pasadena, Jan. 16, 2016

And here are a couple of memorable images from this years' IMATS convention (see previous post); they had a Star Trek 50th anniversary panel with Michael Westmore and about 15 or so members of the ST makeup team, and in the museum section of the convention I saw a life-cast of Leonard Nimoy and some sets of his Spock ears (!).

2edf264e204eaa066b2a356e089517da.jpg1f47d7e27f69d65e44c0bb73c8815f9b.jpg4f6253c0415e3fd622f333b264e3b1b7.jpg

9872c17fea6825482f01978f2cc36c88.jpg

^

In the light yellow shirt is Michael Westmore's son (Michael Jr.) who did all the electronics in the ST makeups; such as Data's interior LED lighting whenever his covering/skin is removed or exposed, and (of course) all of the lights and electronic components of the Borg; he told an interesting story about how he programmed each Borg's lighting to give off Morse code messages (known ONLY to him) and recently he found the actual circuit boards he used to control the lights (each one custom-made) while cleaning out his house.  And on the far right of the last image is Matt Winston, moderator of the event (Winston played "Crewman Daniels" from the future, on ENT).   Matt is the son of famed movie FX legend Stan Winston (1946-2008) whose many works included the Terminator movies, ALIENS, Jurassic Park, Iron Man and many more.

v

c6ae45c2d29809e515c6ba2ef0b00ee0.jpg

During the panel I got to ask Westmore whose idea it was to evolve the Romulans' look beyond what we saw in the '60 TV series; he said initially it was he who informed Roddenberry that they needed to look different than the Vulcans to avoid new audience confusion, but that the decision (ultimately) was not his alone.  He wanted their v-shaped foreheads to echo their severe haircuts and eyebrows.

After the panel, I met Westmore (again) and got to ask him the question I didn't get to ask during the panel (for lack of time); what was the textural inspiration for the Suliban?  Westmore had mentioned that each makeup was based on a real animal or creature or texture; the Jem'Hadar were inspired by rhinos, for example.  But the Suliban were directly inspired by a photo Rick Berman showed him of a creature with a porous skin texture, to which Berman said "I want them (the Suliban) to look like that."     Westmore went to a model train shop (!) and used the miniature rock and mountains of the set to make molds for the skin textures!  He used those molds to make positives with lumpy, porous textures.   He said the Suliban were surprisingly easy to apply (I found that, frankly, amazing).   Westmore is an utter genius; the makeup team calls him 'boss' with much affection; he clearly earned it. 

52d935d610ba12b11728181cb6d43c6b.jpg

latest?cb=20100527152816&path-prefix=cs  <<  Makeup molded from the rocks/mountains of a toy train set (!).

fb3d9b3bd0169922afff7d7b22b82264.jpg

I am SO jealous!  I'd LOVE to have Seven!  She's so detailed!

Did you see anyone there from Hexhill Studios?

Sadly, I'm not familiar with Hexhill studios (had to Google them), but pretty much anybody who is anybody in makeup (glamour, prosthetic or gore FX) was there.  Many of the cast and judges of Face Off (including Ve Neill and Star Trek's Michael Westmore) were there; as well as a gallery/museum of creations by makeup artists, including the late Dick Smith and Mike Hill (who does beautiful full-size mannequins of classic characters).   

I even saw Leonard Nimoy's life cast and ears (!).   It was truly amazing.

For our third year straight, we (my wife, our friend & myself) went down to Pasadena the IMATS convention yesterday (Saturday, the 14th).

Each photo speaks a thousand words, but since I'm a bit of a motormouth I captioned each pic as well, so ...here's the pics.  

IMATS Pasadena January 14, 2017

Personal highlights for me included seeing the "Rubberheads: Sex, Drugs and Special FX" book makeup panel, led by author/artist KNB FX head Steve Johnson (The Abyss, Bicentennial Man, Lord of Illusions, etc).  Imagine Iron Man's Tony Stark as a makeup artist and you get the idea.  The panel was a lot of fun.   Those guys are truly a wild bunch.  I was also able to meet Johnson and get a signed copy of his book.

Also enjoyed the "Star Trek Beyond" makeup panel, with Joel Harlow (lead makeup artist on the film).  Some of the makeups in that movie are beyond extraordinary.  I took some videos of this panel but am having difficulty loading them to my Flickr account.  If I'm able to upload the videos I'll try to integrate them into the album, but for now the pics will have to do. :S

There were also some amazing live makeup demonstrations, including the annual "Battle of the Brushes" competition.   
This convention is just an explosion of creative forces.  Words fail.

Hope you enjoy the pics at least half as much as we enjoyed taking them.   :thumbup:

Edit: this is from the linked album above:

It's a pic of me, meeting makeup artist Steve Johnson ("The Abyss" "Bicentennial Man" "Lord of Illusions" and MANY more).  Imagine Tony Stark as a makeup artist and you'll get an idea of what he was like; cool guy, very funny, and lots of fun (and a genius too!).

32201769301_3c9bc7f0ff_z.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0