GustavoLeao

Shatnermania

73 posts in this topic

Terrific pics, Sehlat. Man I wish I was at the San Diego Comic Con, 2012. Just fantastic.

Perhaps, someday I will meet the Shat..................

Gus

Terrific pics, Sehlat. Man I wish I was at the San Diego Comic Con, 2012. Just fantastic.

Perhaps, someday I will meet the Shat..................

Gus

I've seen him in person many times (about 7 or more since 2001, the year I attended my first convention in Pasadena, California), but alas... I've never met him.

I know we were both born in Montreal (though I left when I was a little kid...).

Now please don't start stoning me for my blasphemy, but I can't stand Shatner at all beyond his acting as Kirk. IMO, everything else he did has always been pure crap, and I think even his acting in Star Trek was, but it just fits in there so well. He totally ruined TFF as a director, he always played the same role in all other series or movies, his TekWar and Shatnerverse novels are pure trash, his coquettery with his ego is just annoying because I simply cannot believe for a moment he's not serious about it somewhere inside him, and, most important, his macho-ladykiller-attitude is by now means acceptable anymore, now, almost 50 years after TOS. His acting is third-rank at best.

Put Shatner into a NuTrek movie, and I guarantee you, it will bomb big time, because all new fans will turn away in disgust.

Ouch. lol

I have to say, though... you DO have a point. I'm not the biggest fan of Shatner himself either (in fact, I'm not even a huge Kirk fan, I just refuse to accept anyone other than Shatner in the role, that's all, Kirk isn't among my all-time favorite captains) - his ego is just TOO DAMN HUGE for me as well. It's what people expect of him, though, it would look rather strange if he suddenly started being modest. A lot of it is acting because the man is an actor and I would actually say that his "official William Shatner" is probably quite different from "plain ol' Bill". A lot of actors/actresses do this - they project a distorted image of themselves, in essence, they act even when they're not playing a particular character and it's quite hard to get a look behind that wall of acting and at the actual person.

If there's ONE thing people can generally agree on when it comes to Shatner is that folks either love or hate him. I've rarely ever met people like myself who are simply mostly indifferent towards him. Most either LOVE everything he does, unconditionally, or they HATE everything he does, unconditionally. He's one of those rare public figures that awake strong emotions in an audience.

EDIT: Since I've just come across the video gifs again on Tumblr:

tumblr_m364jot4Ib1r9jlqmo4_250.gif

:P

Bill and his friends Leonard and Dee were always there for their fans..........

1185546_728027970548667_1993150286_n.jpg

Gus

Bill is glad to be directed by Vincent McEveetty in the second season episode "Patterns of Force"

1530432_725669874117810_371394861_n.jpg

What a guy ! This man has no ego !!!!

Gus

I remember when I was younger trying to watch everything he was in. Unfortunately it didn't always pay off such as Disaster on the Coastliner.

What’s better than William Shatner in a double role as both the cowboy hero and his evil twin? Why, Shatner as the cowboy hero and his peyote-eating Comanche war leader evil twin. Shot in Spain in 1967 WHITE COMMANCHE is highly recommended for Shatner's fans like myself.

1483412_722218514462946_1032904841_n.jpg

Gus

What’s better than William Shatner in a double role as both the cowboy hero and his evil twin? Why, Shatner as the cowboy hero and his peyote-eating Comanche war leader evil twin. Shot in Spain in 1967 WHITE COMMANCHE is highly recommended for Shatner's fans like myself.

1483412_722218514462946_1032904841_n.jpg

Gus

I've seen clips of this one on Youtube years ago.

Shatner as a Comanche.... wow. :huh2:

That's as bad as Sherlock's Benedict Cumberbatch playing a Sikh from northern India ---- oh wait, never mind. :giggle::P

Oh, yeah, Sehlat. BIll is perhaps the biggest western star since.............errrrrrr..........John Wayne. Do you remeber the Barbary Coast ? It was 1975 when William Shatner starred as 19th century super-spy Jeff Cable, in the ABC television series, The Barbary Coast. The series was cancelled quiclybut proved the Bill was not only James T Kirk and of course, he got to pay his bills for a change. LOL

1536508_728915780459886_2134671928_n.jpg

Gus

And finnaly, Bill showed his dramatic range when he played an astronaut with mutant mental powers which almost defeat Steve Austin, the Six Million Dollar Man.

The expression on Lee Majors' face says it all.

1521993_728918017126329_1052647594_n.jpg

Gus

Bill is also...................a Ghostbuster ? Who you gonna call ?

1483430_728945233790274_703400882_n.jpg

Gus

Gus, I don't want to stop your enthusiasm towards Shatner, but please, so many replies in a row in such a short period of time is considered spamming on this board. You can put more than one picture into one post, you don't have to make a new one for each pic. :)

Oh so sorry, didnt know that. I am new to message boards, because on TrekWeb I spend all the time posting only articles.

I will behave I promise.

Thanks. Mr.Picard.

Gus

Oh so sorry, didnt know that. I am new to message boards, because on TrekWeb I spend all the time posting only articles.

I will behave I promise.

Thanks. Mr.Picard.

Gus

I had a feeling that you didn't know, yup. No harm done, just keep it in mind for the future. :) (Besides, who if not I can understand the urge to admire an actor, lol.)

I will behave I promise.

Thanks. Mr.Picard.

Gus

I had a feeling that you didn't know, yup. No harm done, just keep it in mind for the future. :) (Besides, who if not I can understand the urge to admire an actor, lol.)

Indeed.... ;)

And yes, I remember "Barbary Coast"; he played sort of a Ross Martin "Wild, Wild West" type role (a master of disguise). Only problem with that was that if anyone could NOT disguise who they were, it was Shatner.... :laugh:

And finnaly, Bill showed his dramatic range when he played an astronaut with mutant mental powers which almost defeat Steve Austin, the Six Million Dollar Man.

The expression on Lee Majors' face says it all.

1521993_728918017126329_1052647594_n.jpg

Gus

Oh god, I have this one on DVD (I have a guilty pleasure-thing for the "Six Million Dollar Man" TV show... sue me!).

Shatner played an astronaut, who like Gary Mitchell, was struck by some kind of weird cosmic ray and came back with super intellect (and more than a bit crazy, too). The episode was called "Burning Bright" I believe. Shatner's character tried to communicate with dolphins and tried to take one up into space on the next Apollo flight, etc. He was convinced that they were the key to making alien contact or something weird like that (too bad he didn't try to take a humpback whale up with him... :giggle: ). Sadly, while the idea of Shatner and Lee Majors together sounds like guaranteed golden cheese, but the episode suffered from hazy, vague writing and an overall lack of purpose really. Kind of disappointing...

There was a later S2 episode of TSMDM where it was revealed that they (the 'OSI') created a 2nd bionic man... now that was the role Shatner would've been hilarious perfect in. :thumbup:

I for one had to LOL really hard at Shatner's recent Twitter exchange with Misha Collins:

tumblr_mz38yzBdCN1qbbwr2o5_1280.jpg

tumblr_mz38yzBdCN1qbbwr2o4_1280.jpg

tumblr_mz38yzBdCN1qbbwr2o3_1280.jpg

tumblr_mz38yzBdCN1qbbwr2o2_1280.jpg

What even. *snicker*

This man has no ego !!!!

LMAO :laugh::cylonclap::laugh::cylonclap::laugh:

But seriously... :P

This thread needs more. Some seriously catching up of others.

Only noticed today he features in Visit California's latest vid.

Thanks for the nice plug for my state.... :laugh::thumbup:

Bill is also...................a Ghostbuster ? Who you gonna call ?

1483430_728945233790274_703400882_n.jpg

Gus

Hah! I love this pic. Great one!

A happy captain....a happy actor....WE love ya Bill.

1536513_10202815841256292_1313760391_n.jpg

Well this finishes this threat for me, I could go on forever posting pics of Bill in Star Trek and obscure movies....I have quite a collection LOL

He's the man.

Good morning

Gus

Edited by GustavoLeao

Well this finishes this threat for me, I could go on forever posting pics of Bill in Star Trek and obscure movies....I have quite a collection LOL

He's the man.

Good morning

Gus

He looks like a kid...

It just dawned on me that I am the age NOW that Shatner was in ST-TMP .... and I don't look 1/1000th as good as he did. :laugh:

Shatner, aged 47 or so, in ST-TMP.....

themotionpicture0160.jpg

As opposed to me at 47, now..... :laugh:

fb3be-fat-orangutan.jpg?w=468&h=301

Way to go, Shat-man! :thumbup:

He still looks quite good even now. Okay, he's gained a bit of weight (who wouldn't), but seriously, he still looks fine to me. ;)

He's the man.

Good morning

Gus

I love the obscure Shatner stuff, especially his wilderness years (1969-79) such as guest appearances in Ironside or one in Petrocelli when he gets roughed up by Harrison Ford. I'd say post away but we'd have to pepper it with responses unless it becomes a shrine-thread.