GustavoLeao

Shatnermania

73 posts in this topic

This is a guy who took a role on a TV show back in the 60’s and helped turn it into a multi billion dollar conglomeration simply by doing his job.

1528550_722450831106381_896678814_n.jpg

Gus,

Shatner-fan

And I know I'm going to catch hell for this ("Brace for impact!" :P ) but he does look a bit like Chris Pine in that pic...

1528550_722450831106381_896678814_n.jpgchris-pine-660.jpg

Granted, Pine is more "Brad-Pitt-ish" but they're still in the ballpark...

Interestingly enough, Shatner is one of the reasons I stopped watching TOS in first run. His over-the-top, melodramatic posturing in so many scenes simply turned me off. (To be fair, I was also ass deep in engineering school ad working nearly 30 hours a week as well.)

Interestingly enough, Shatner is one of the reasons I stopped watching TOS in first run. His over-the-top, melodramatic posturing in so many scenes simply turned me off.

Why, whatever do you mean, Mutai? :angel_not:

laughinggo_9lbwl4wv.gif

\922.gifWilliam-Shatner-Slapping-Himself.giftumblr_mlyitej1bT1s67vyfo3_250.giftumblr_mpgs5jyul41rp584to1_250.giftumblr_inline_mqf8lnzdcL1qz4rgp.gifPpKKnOa.gifThe_Paradise_Syndrome_176-300x227.jpgshatner_choke.jpg

However, in fairness to Shatner? I think I'd heard an interview with him once where he said he relied on the over-the-top theatrics he used as both a means of 'selling' the styrofoam rocks and the unrealistic environments, etc. and also as a way to better illustrate the contrasting natures of Kirk and Spock (I think he said this on "Mind Meld" DVD, but I'm not sure)...

Whether one believes this or not is up to the viewer, of course. :P

But I also have to add that he came a loooooong way by the time the movies came around; esp. TWOK and TSFS, which were (IMHO) his finest outings as Kirk.... ;)

I for one find his over-acting on the series to be really, really hilarious. ;) (I have far more serious problems with Avery Brooks' style of over-acting, in fact. *runs and hides*)

Also, The Shat has QUITE a bit of sass:

KUlBw.gif

I for one find his over-acting on the series to be really, really hilarious. ;) (I have far more serious problems with Avery Brooks' style of over-acting, in fact. *runs and hides*)

Also, The Shat has QUITE a bit of sass:

KUlBw.gif

Oh, I don't deny that Shatner has a TON of charisma (he IS my favorite captain, mind you...) but like you, I also find his occasional plunges into the overacting pool to be just hysterically funny. It's almost like he did them for deliberate comic relief. But when Kirk was at his best (Corbomite Maneuver, Devil in the Dark, City on the Edge..., Wrath of Khan, Search for Spock, etc) he was just amazing. And yes, a HELL of a lot of sass, too... ;)

As for your comment on Brooks? We'll discuss that later....

TogaShort.gif

:P:laugh:

To me, no one but Shatner can be Kirk - just BECAUSE of all the overacting and whatnot. He just did such a great job that I'd never accept ANYONE else in that role. (Hence my 'and who are YOU? You want to be WHO? James T. Kirk? HAHAHAH! BLASHPHEMY! And now get out.' attitude towards Chris Pine and Nu!Trek. lol)

To me, no one but Shatner can be Kirk - just BECAUSE of all the overacting and whatnot. He just did such a great job that I'd never accept ANYONE else in that role. (Hence my 'and who are YOU? You want to be WHO? James T. Kirk? HAHAHAH! BLASHPHEMY! And now get out.' attitude towards Chris Pine and Nu!Trek. lol)

Even as an ST09 fan I can understand this; I feel a similar cry of 'blasphemy' whenever I see Tony Stark's er, Robert Downey Jr's godawful Sherlock Holmes movies...

There is only one Kirk, and that is Shatner. Personally, I think he was awesome and enjoy the way he acted. Sehlat, do you have a funny "haters gonna hate" picture? :P lol

THIS.

There is also only one Chekov, and that is Walter Koenig. I will accept no other.

Gotta say, guys, that I find the "accept no other" stuff quite hilarious. There is, at times, bad (re)casting choices, and I love Shatner as much as any Trek fan (not to the manic level, though), but yes, his acting was hilarious (intended or not) at times while stil extremely charismatic. But in the end, everybody is replaceable.

It's just harder to accept change for people so used to the original stuff.

"Enterprise Log: Captain James Kirk commanding. We are leaving that vast cloud of stars and planets which we call our galaxy. Behind us: Earth, Mars, Venus, even our sun are specks of dust. A question: what is out there in the black void beyond? Until now our mission has been that of space law regulation, contact with Earth colonies and investigation of alien life. But now, a new task; a probe out into where no man has gone before."

1601158_10202785360854301_706941836_n.jpg

Gus

Gotta say, guys, that I find the "accept no other" stuff quite hilarious. There is, at times, bad (re)casting choices, and I love Shatner as much as any Trek fan (not to the manic level, though), but yes, his acting was hilarious (intended or not) at times while stil extremely charismatic. But in the end, everybody is replaceable.

To each their own. *Shrugs* I like who I like! :)

TOS has that campy goodness I enjoy in older Sci-Fi shows. I love it! Buck Rogers in the 25 Century was another good campy classic.

Leonard Nimoy tries to explain to Bill that Nick Meyer, and not him, is the director of The Undiscovered Country. Bill always directed himself and he is brillhant, peharps the best director since John Ford. Just watch Star Trek V and............errr.........Groom Lake.

1523946_727650530586411_2015578896_o.jpg

Gus

Writer, author, director, actor, producer, interviewer - Shatnermania is everywhere !

1601205_727665620584902_2013823122_n.jpg

Gus,

Shatnermania fan

Now please don't start stoning me for my blasphemy, but I can't stand Shatner at all beyond his acting as Kirk. IMO, everything else he did has always been pure crap, and I think even his acting in Star Trek was, but it just fits in there so well. He totally ruined TFF as a director, he always played the same role in all other series or movies, his TekWar and Shatnerverse novels are pure trash, his coquettery with his ego is just annoying because I simply cannot believe for a moment he's not serious about it somewhere inside him, and, most important, his macho-ladykiller-attitude is by now means acceptable anymore, now, almost 50 years after TOS. His acting is third-rank at best.

Put Shatner into a NuTrek movie, and I guarantee you, it will bomb big time, because all new fans will turn away in disgust.

Edited by Sim

Now please don't start stoning me for my blasphemy, but I can't stand Shatner at all beyond his acting as Kirk. IMO, everything else he did has always been pure crap, and I think even his acting in Star Trek was, but it just fits in there so well. He totally ruined TFF as a director, he always played the same role in all other series or movies, his TekWar and Shatnerverse novels are pure trash, his coquettery with his ego is just annoying because I simply cannot believe for a moment he's not serious about it somewhere inside him, and, most important, his macho-ladykiller-attitude is by now means acceptable anymore, now, almost 50 years after TOS. His acting is third-rank at best.

Put Shatner into a NuTrek movie, and I guarantee you, it will bomb big time, because all new fans will turn away in disgust.

* Sehlat Vie, anticipating the fallout from this post.... *

oh+shit1.gif << "Oh s#!t...."

To each their own. *Shrugs* I like who I like! :)

TOS has that campy goodness I enjoy in older Sci-Fi shows. I love it! Buck Rogers in the 25 Century was another good campy classic.

I loved Buck Rogers too, but for a somewhat er.... less than science fiction-y reason. More hormonal. ;)

14-nu-dien-vien-sexy-nhat-bi-lang-quen-p1_9.jpg << :inlove:

Erin Gray pretty much got me through adolescence. Ah, those were the days.... :laugh:

There is only one Kirk, and that is Shatner. Personally, I think he was awesome and enjoy the way he acted. Sehlat, do you have a funny "haters gonna hate" picture? :P lol

Now, now... I am a huge Kirk/Shatner fan. :thumbup: But I will admit, he not the only thing I like about ST... ST is about more than any one personality or character. TNG proved that... as did DS9.

Shatner is Star Trek.

Well, he's also TekWar, Quest for Tomorrow, the Shatnerverse and of course, the Shatnermania. LOL

But most importantly, he's Leonard Nimoy's best friend. And he is also looks good for his age, because he is , after all, Shatner.

shatner.-636jpg.jpg

"Too much fun" - Sisko in Trials and Tribblelations

Best,

Gus

Shatner is Star Trek.

Well, he's also TekWar, Quest for Tomorrow, the Shatnerverse and of course, the Shatnermania. LOL

But most importantly, he's Leonard Nimoy's best friend. And he is also looks good for his age, because he is , after all, Shatner.

shatner.-636jpg.jpg

"Too much fun" - Sisko in Trials and Tribblelations

Best,

Gus

Here's some pics I took of Shatner, talking to director Roger Corman and panel moderator Kevin Smith at San Diego Comic Con, 2012.... enjoy, Gus!

7584597432_37158cc9e1.jpg7584601996_f8560cbee1.jpg

7584606974_a9507a5385.jpg7584612638_37f86f3dc9.jpg

7584592982_378cf3a559_c.jpg

Shatner. The best damn Star Trek captain.

These pic posts make me feel like I'm on a tumblr blog... :P

But hey, Shatner represents Montreal, so I won't bitch too much!

Edited by Tupperfan

Naw, *Kirk* was arguably the best Star Trek captain (arguably, it was actually Picard). Shatner was just the guy who played him at some point. ;)

Edited by Sim

Naw, *Kirk* was arguably the best Star Trek captain (arguably, it was actually Picard). Shatner was just the guy who played him at some point. ;)

Perhaps, perhaps.

Though he's an unimpeachable legend in this here book.

PDVD_000-4-1-1-1.jpg

Edited by Mackenzie Calhoun

Perhaps, perhaps.

PDVD_000-4-1-1-1.jpg

Well, I don't know... from the first episode of TOS I ever saw on, I thought he was the weakest of the trio. Always liked Spock and Bones more. :P

Ah, the Holy Trinity. Good times.

Perhaps, perhaps.

PDVD_000-4-1-1-1.jpg

Well, I don't know... from the first episode of TOS I ever saw on, I thought he was the weakest of the trio. Always liked Spock and Bones more. :P

My appreciation of Kirk came more with the TOS movies than TOS or TAS. Back in the early days of my Trek fandom (the mid-to-late '70s) I was much more a Spock & Bones fan myself as well.