prometheus59650

Do You have a Trek Guilty Pleasure?

149 posts in this topic

Nemesis, although I only count it a guilty pleasure because most people here seem to dislike it.

On my current rewatch of TNG, I've actually liked all of the Wesley Crusher episodes.

I'm a huge fan of "First Duty"; IMO, it's a wonderful Wesley episode. Wil Wheaton plays it with the same level he played Gordy in "Stand By Me."

This was a vulnerable, all-too-human Wesley; one who is coerced into lying by his friends. This was one of the few times I could really relate to Wesley (who didn't have any kind of peer pressure growing up)?

And Wil Wheaton is a great guy, too. I've met him a couple times and he really is just 'one of us'...

And even though Valtane didn't 'die' in STVI (we see him alive and on the Excelsior bridge at the end of STVI)

I suppose, if I felt like defending Voyager, I could suggest that Valtane dying was one of the virus/parasites tweaked memories.

And even though Valtane didn't 'die' in STVI (we see him alive and on the Excelsior bridge at the end of STVI)

I suppose, if I felt like defending Voyager, I could suggest that Valtane dying was one of the virus/parasites tweaked memories.

Good point; since the little girl dying was also a false memory...

Sigh. I successfully defended Voyager.

I feel dirty inside. :)

Been meaning to post this for weeks...

TOS, season 3, "Requiem for Methuselah". Lots of folks don't like this one because it's S3, because Kirk falls in-love to quickly and seems to practically forget about his endangered crew, and because they think Spock went too far at the end.

I, on the other hand, lapped up the pathos and, yes, the beauty of Rayna (Louise Sorel). I agree with a recent re-watch reviewer: this one's a flower in the desert of S3.

Been meaning to post this for weeks...

TOS, season 3, "Requiem for Methuselah". Lots of folks don't like this one because it's S3, because Kirk falls in-love to quickly and seems to practically forget about his endangered crew, and because they think Spock went too far at the end.

I, on the other hand, lapped up the pathos and, yes, the beauty of Rayna (Louise Sorel). I agree with a recent re-watch reviewer: this one's a flower in the desert of S3.

The flaws are all true. I find the stuff with Kirk and Rayna pretty cringe-worthy. That said, I still like the episode a lot. Flint was an awesome sci-fi idea and he was beautifully played.

I remember my wife and I meeting Nichelle Nichols back at a convention in Pasadena in 2002
And when I told her she was one of my biggest TV crushes as a kid, she joked, "What do you mean 'was'?" and gave my wife and I each a big hug.
I absolutely adore that lady... only wish she had more to do on the show.

She sounds so cool! :D

Sigh. I successfully defended Voyager.

I feel dirty inside. :)

tumblr_m4hul6Yrl71rv4pd3o1_250.gif

"Spectre of the Gun" (1968)

I've always liked this one, despite the looks of disdain I receive for doing so. :P

Things I like about it:

* The stark surrealism of the alien "Tombstone, Arizona" setting. With the red sky, and minimalist sets (a clock hanging in midair, an open sky saloon, etc). I realize this was done perhaps more for budgetary than artistic reasons, but still; the effect is haunting and surreal and I love it. It almost has the feel of a dream, or an off-Broadway, experimental theatre piece from the '60s...

Spectre_of_the_Gun_054.JPG

* The notion of casting Kirk and co. as 'the bad guys' (the Clanton gang). Neat twist, to put the good captain and company on the wrong side of the law... ;)

(though Kirk's line reading of "We... are... the Clantons" always makes me chuckle; sounds like's about to sing Queen's "We Are The Champions".... :giggle: ).

* Giving Chekov a romance and a death scene (!).

Chekov is not exactly my favorite character (that accent! Oy vey...), but I thought it was nice that a relatively minor character was given such a nice opportunity to step up to the plate.

I still think it would've been nicer to give the meatier role to George Takei's Sulu, but no matter; it was a nice gesture...

Spectre_of_the_Gun_084.JPGSpectre_of_the_Gun_160.JPG

* The crew all grieving over Chekov in their own ways (even Spock is feeling it.... but as usual, he does his best not to show it).

Spock's simple but effective line to Kirk in response to McCoy's needling him for not showing his grief, "They forget I am half-human..."

(Sehlat Vie, tearing up....)

Spectre_of_the_Gun_176.JPG

* And, of course, SPOCK SAVES THE FREAKING DAY.... yet again.

By convincing the crew that since physical laws don't seem to apply to this world (and laws of chemistry, as their 'gas grenade' didn't work as predicted), Spock finds the 'way out.'

The result is an odd mind meld sequence with each of his comrades (shot in a dreamlike fashion; even the noise of the wind is strangely muted...).

Spectre_of_the_Gun_245.JPG << "This will clear your sinuses... "

* The final, spooky, surreal gun fight... with bullets seemingly whizzing right through the crew.

Not only is it a major kudos for both the laws of physical reality and mind over matter, but it is also VERY MUCH in line with ST's more pacifist view of the future of mankind.

Too bad Kirk kind of f**ks it all up, by running up and starting a (needless, not to mention pointless) brawl with Wyatt Earp; only to pat himself on the back for not actually killing him (?!?).

Spectre_of_the_Gun_262.JPG

* The Melkotians themselves.

Seemingly disembodied alien heads floating in a misty, spooky, fog-filled room (chamber?). S3 had some very inventive aliens (the Tholians also come to mind).

The Melkotians BEGGED for further exploration; they could've been the new-Talosians if given half a chance.

Spectre_of_the_Gun_043.JPG

And imagine if they joined the Federation?? Holy smokes, they could've ended a Klingon threat just by convincing the Klingon fleet commanders to hit their self-destruct buttons...

This is one of my guilty pleasures of Star Trek; it is not universally loved, but personally? I think it one of S3's best.

IMO, "Spectre of the Gun" and "Is There in Truth No Beauty" are masterpieces. Because of their surreal creepiness.

Not sure if I mentioned that before, but I also love the often mocked TNG "Night Terrors". When I watched it as a kid for the first time, I almost wet my pants. ;)

Edited by Sim

Even as a kid, watching "Is There in Truth No Beauty" I wondered why Kirk didn't just lay out the problem for Miranda instead of trying to charm her. As I got older and better understood it I found the sexism in that appalling.

That said, I too, have always really liked "Spectre." Spock's explanation at the OK Corral I find one of the high points of his character in the series.

Even as a kid, watching "Is There in Truth No Beauty" I wondered why Kirk didn't just lay out the problem for Miranda instead of trying to charm her. As I got older and better understood it I found the sexism in that appalling.

Good point about "Is There In Truth..."

It seems that Kirk took the long way around the problem (or unless he was really trying to sleep with Dr. Jones; but, as Indiana Jones' Short Round might say, "No time for love, Dr. Jones!" :giggle: ).

I actually like that one, too. Loved the character of Miranda Jones. I could've imagined her being some kind of prototypical ship's counselor for TOS...

IMO, "Spectre of the Gun" and "Is There in Truth No Beauty" are masterpieces. Because of their surreal creepiness.

Not sure if I mentioned that before, but I also love the often mocked TNG "Night Terrors". When I watched it as a kid for the first time, I almost wet my pants. ;)

I understand completely.

The Melkotians of "Spectre" had nearly the same effect on my bladder when I was a kid... :laugh:

(or unless he was really trying to sleep with Dr. Jones;

Not that I can fault him. :)

(or unless he was really trying to sleep with Dr. Jones;

Not that I can fault him. :)

Nope.

Me neither.

I'm a big fan of Diana Muldaur. Beautiful lady.

Which brings me to another 'guilty pleasure'; I totally dig "Return to Tomorrow."

Not only does it have Kirk's immortal "Risk is our business" speech, but uh... Muldaur is frakking gorgeous. :drool::worthy:

returntotomorrow_394.jpg << "Alright Spock. Get your left hand off of my...."

She really is.

I like that one, too. It's interesting to see a glimpse of what all these more advanced races might mean when they talk about what Humans might become.

That and you can tell Nimoy is having a blast.

She really is.

I like that one, too. It's interesting to see a glimpse of what all these more advanced races might mean when they talk about what Humans might become.

That and you can tell Nimoy is having a blast.

Lucky dog... ;)

(Staring at her) Oh. Right. I have lines. ;)

Well, all my guilty pleasures are episodes I appreciate just because they're awesome for the couple I ship haha. 'cause in my super objective opinion, liking a Star Trek episode just because of the shipping it's like missing the whole point of the show. Some of them are:

TOS: The Naked Time, Plato's Stepchildren (just because of the Spock/Nurse Chapel scenes).

TNG: The Naked Now (Tasha/Data).

VOY: Resolutions, Coda (although Coda was pretty interesting, but I just liked the JC scenes...).

Can't say anything about DS9 or ENT...

ETA: Actually I can say something about DS9: any episode with pregnant Kira is awesome!! xD

Edited by notaplayer83

Posted (edited)

Qpid, from TNG. It's ridiculous, but...quite fun.

Edited by Explorer3

Gotta add another one: TNG S2's "Samaritan Snare."

sttng_samaritansnare.jpg

Just saw this one recently in HD on blu ray, and it was terrific; Picard and Wes' shuttle trip together was far better than I remembered.   The actors' have genuine chemistry together.   And both truly excel at showing discomfort.   A surprisingly strong performance from both.

Star-Trek-Samaritan-Snare-1-1024x466.jpg

Picard and Pulaski's scene together at the starbase is just adorable, "You're welcome."  :thumbup:

samaritan_snare_hd_424.jpeg

And the Pakleds are just hilarious.  They remind me of some of my own countrymen at times... :P

Yes, I have. I adore this movie.

star-trek-v-the-final-frontier-1989-001-

Gus

Posted (edited)

I'm with Gus - I actually enjoy a lot of Trek V. A lot of it is dribble too - I admit. But Kirk's scene about needing his pain and feeling he will die alone was really powerful to me. The same with Spock and his relationship with his father or McCoy and his father's death.

Plus - the Starfleet crew standing up to "god" is too good to pass up. Even if it was just another non-corporeal villain of the week.

My guilty pleasure indeed.

Edited by The Founder

My guilty pleasure when it comes to star trek? TOS: Way to Eden, I'm a sucker for musical episodes! XD

50 minutes ago, C.Lovett said:

My guilty pleasure when it comes to star trek? TOS: Way to Eden, I'm a sucker for musical episodes! XD

Hey, me too! I think "Way to Eden" really is an underrated episode. Yes, it's pretty bad, but it does have quite a few strong moments. Spock of all people relating to the hippes' enstrangement -- loved it! Plus backstory for Chekov! :laugh:

Other guilty pleasures include several TNG season 2 episodes, like the abovementioned "Samaritan Snare" -- the Pakled idea is so patently stupid, it's hilarious, I love them! Also love "Up the Long Ladder", for some strange reason.

7 hours ago, C.Lovett said:

I'm down with the Space Hippies!  :dance::punk: