prometheus59650

Do You have a Trek Guilty Pleasure?

149 posts in this topic

Something you like that few others do?"

For me, I like TNG's "Genesis." I've always been a sucker for the "crippled ship" notion, maybe it's just seeing an otherwise clean, neat ship messed up. And it's just stupid fun to me watching everyone devolve.

"Move Along Home"- another one I just plain find fun. It's an interesting idea to put the characters in a game,

And I like Abrams Trek...both films. :)

Some people dislike the comedic Ferengi episodes of DS9, but I love 'em. Jeez, that part where they all sing the Slug-O cola jingle is freaking classic.

TNG's season 1 and 2. Season 2 is my favorite, season 1 my 2nd favorite.

I also love "Genesis". And "Masks", OMG. It's so bad that it's brilliant. ;)

Everyone here hates "Insurrection" and "Nemesis" so I'll go with those two. :P

There are some gems in season 2. Quite like "Contagion" for one.

Please don't say you like "Shades of Grey" ;)

I'm with Mr Picard - enormously fond of TNG seasons 1 and 2, despite their many perceived shortcomings.

Prometheus59650, Contagion is a bona fide classic IMHO! :thumbup:

I also really like Second Chances. Sorry.

I also really like Second Chances. Sorry.

Two Rikers? Hell yes. :P:drool:

Despite my usual dislike of VOY, I always enjoyed Tom Paris and loved many (But not all: Threshold still sucked) episodes featuring him in a prominent role. Thirty Days promptly comes to mind.

Despite my annoyance that it catered to the fanboys to a ridiculous level, I always liked Enterprise's season 4 attempts at (re)establishing canon and continuity.

In DS9, I always loved the Ferengi "comedic" episodes.

TNG had me whenever family members were involved.

And TOS with its "parallel development" Earths.

Hm, not sure it counts since I am not alone, but I also love TNG season 2 (not so much season 1), especially "The Royale" and "Where Silence...".

And I love TNG "Masks". Found Spiner's acting brilliant, as much as the general idea, even if the execution was not perfect. So I like that 7th season episode two episodes before the series finale, where that train on the holodeck is racing towards "vertiform city" (the title escapes me right now). Creeps the hell out of me, no idea why, though.

And I totally love "Night Terrors" (4th season, about the crew suffering hallucinations due to a lack of REM sleep, that was its title, right?).

Oh yes, and I like most of the Ferengi comedy episodes on DS9 too (not so much the Ferengi on TNG or VOY).

In general, I never understood when people lumped TNG season 2 together with season 1 (since I feel season 2 is much closer to season 3, quality-wise), or that season 7 was a decline compared to the previous seasons (maybe season 7 wasn't as brilliant as 3 and 4, and had fewer gems than 5 or 6, but was still pretty good IMO).

Hm, and does liking ENT count as guilty pleasure? I really like ENT. Not remotely as much as TOS, TNG or even DS9, but it's a close 4th and magnitudes better than VOY.

And Tup... what's wrong with "catering to the fanboys" re: ENT season 4? Aren't we fanboys and thus required to love it? ;)

Edited by Sim

Contagion is a bona fide classic IMHO!

I can't disagree. Good story and it feels like longer than 43 min, which is a compliment. It's very nicely paced.

Somewhat remarkable that the ship almost blows up before they figure out to do what pretty much anyone these days knows to do when your computer is impossibly corrupted.

Then again, I suppose you forget that sort of thing when your technology is virtually infallible.

On the other hand, someone must have thought of it, hence the existence of protected archives to start with.

Maybe Geordi was being deliberately slow after reading the then bestselling autobiography, "The Miracle Worker." :)

Somewhat remarkable that the ship almost blows up before they figure out to do what pretty much anyone these days knows to do when your computer is impossibly corrupted.

Keep in mind that "Contagion" was written years before the Internet and it's corresponding explosive proliferation of computer viruses. I don't think anyone could've foreseen that.

And I totally love "Night Terrors" (4th season, about the crew suffering hallucinations due to a lack of REM sleep, that was its title, right?).

Yeah, when they're in the holodeck trying to recreate their memories, that table...and then the scissors. But when they hone in on the sounds...that gets me every time. It is downright effin' terrifying. I also like the scene in which Riker goes to sleep and someone knocks on his door, he's angry that he 'just went to sleep' but, I think it was Geordi, says it's already morning.

I'm not sure I have something to contribute to the list. Most of what I like seems to be liked generally by fans. Perhaps one ep I like a lot that doesn't get much attention is The Perfect Mate, the episode in which Famke Janssen guest stars as the mate intended for some troglodyte but she bonds with Picard instead. Not only was it cool from the sense of watching two actors who would then work again in X Men but Famke simply exuded so much sensuality without being sexual or vulgar. She actually didn't even look that pretty in that episode compared to how drop dead gorgeous she is. Like an Inara precursor.

I'm not sure I have something to contribute to the list. Most of what I like seems to be liked generally by fans. Perhaps one ep I like a lot that doesn't get much attention is The Perfect Mate, the episode in which Famke Janssen guest stars as the mate intended for some troglodyte but she bonds with Picard instead. Not only was it cool from the sense of watching two actors who would then work again in X Men but Famke simply exuded so much sensuality without being sexual or vulgar. She actually didn't even look that pretty in that episode compared to how drop dead gorgeous she is. Like an Inara precursor.

Ah, Famke...*sigh*

Edited by Tupperfan

Oh myyyyy, so much sudden love for TNG's early seasons. I'm definitely NOT used to that. ;)

Every season has its bad episodes, even my beloved season 2. I would say there are worse TNG episodes than "Shades of Gray" - at least it has lots of Pulaski, which is an added bonus for me as a Pulaski fan. BUT, of course, the whole clip show thing is ridiculous and I'm not saying I like that episode, lol. On the other hand, there WAS a writers' strike to deal with and they had to make an episode out of SOMETHING. Still, the whole thing is WTF, no doubt. BUT I wouldn't say the episode is "bad" as in "bad as stuff like 'Sub Rosa'". It's bad from a PRODUCTION point of view because it's a clip show. From an in-universe point of view the plot leaves a lot to be desired as well but at least there is no lamp ghost thingy involved. :P

So I like that 7th season episode two episodes before the series finale, where that train on the holodeck is racing towards "vertiform city" (the title escapes me right now). Creeps the hell out of me, no idea why, though.

That would be "Emergence". :)

Well, it's hard to call a runaway box office hit a 'guilty pleasure' but I'd have to say ST09 for starters.

I love the energy, enthusiasm and vigor it gave back to the then-tired blood of the Star Trek franchise. Yes, it's not as smart as some of it's ST brethren, but not all the shows or movies were terribly cerebral, so I give it a pass. And what it lacks in brains, it makes up for in personality and an overall eagerness to please. I enjoy this movie very much and I don't apologize for it. STID is another kettle of fish altogether however.....

As for episodes?

TOS: "Spock's Brain."

It as if Ed Wood had a chance at writing/directing a ST episode. In fact, I'm a big fan of most of the 'reviled' Season 3. It had a slightly different feel than the other two, but I'm not convinced this was necessarily a bad thing...

TAS: All of it.

Yes, there's some goofy s#!t, to be sure. It was the early '70s, mind you. But nothing in post-TOS ST comes closer to capturing the true essence of the original better or more accurately than this one does. Not even the movies...

TNG: "Conspiracy"

This one used to get a lot of hate for being too dark, and more like ALIEN than Star Trek, but I loved it. It was creepy as all hell. And I love the ambiguous ending too (it BEGGED for a sequel... DS9 would've been the perfect show to follow it up on; maybe the parasites could've been part of the Dominion?).

"Where Silence Has Lease"; maybe this one isn't so guilty (even though it is another 'let's test humanity' episode), but I still love it though. It had an oddness and creepiness that I like in my ST every now and then.

DS9: "Fascination"

An utterly brain-dead Mrs. Troi story, but so much fun. It's the DS9 crew's version of "The Naked Time." Silly fun.

And even though I'm not a fan of Klingon Kulture, I love "You Are Cordially Invited..." because

(a) Dax's wedding dress...HNNNNNGG!! and

(b) the bachelorette party in Dax's quarters actually LOOKED like a party I'd want to attend; the cast looked like they were having a genuinely good time making this one. Seeing Dax and Nog dance together was hilarious!

"Doctor Bashir I Presume..."

I'm surprised to see (of late) all the online hate this episode gets. It's one of my favorites of the series. It opened up Bashir's character very much and made him truly interesting outside of being so-and-so's friend or associate; this one is all about dysfunctional families (I can relate) and dark family secrets (again; I relate). It also asked some very pointed questions about genetic engineering; a topic I feel has gotten an unfair black eye from science fiction dating all the way back to Aldous Huxley's "Brave New World." We fail (in our fear) to acknowledge the potential good non-mandated, totally voluntarily genetic engineering can bring to the world as well. We've all been taught that it only leads to freaks and power mad monsters. That's just ridiculous. It's like saying you should never use a home computer because it might do a HAL9000 on you someday and lock you out of your own garage....

VGR: I don't really like this show so much to have many favorites (maybe about ten to a dozen); the rest to me is just so much unwatchable crap.... I only have X many years of life left to waste; I don't want to spend it watching this show.

ENT: I like this series (perhaps more than others do). I'm not sure if I have any 'guilty' pleasures yet, but perhaps the closest I'd have to that would be S1's "Fight or Flight"; I adore Hoshi, and this was really her episode to shine. Some call her whiny or neurotic but I strongly disagree; I think she reacts to all of this as many of us would. She is the perfect audience surrogate for conveying the somewhat fearful idea of flying blind into the unknown at warp speeds...

TNG: "Conspiracy"

I'm also quite fond of this one. One of the high points of season 1.

Also a big fan of TOS' S3's "The Empath."

The underground scenes have a weird, nightmarish quality to them; like something out of a fever dream. Good use of the 'big three' too. Love the music as well (well re-used in "All Our Yesterdays"; one of my TOS favorites).

I love Lwaxana Troi. I know quiet a few people hate her, but she is simply a delightful character. :)

I also like Leeta.

I know she's just the 'Dabo girl' and kind of a walking sexist joke, but the actress is a real sweetheart (I've met her a few times; very nice) and I like how she fell for the ugly guy (Rom) instead of the 'dashing Doctor'.

Gave me hope when I was a bachelor... :laugh:

PS: There is ONE episode of VGR that I consider a 'guilty pleasure'; "Flashback."

Yes, I acknowledge that is a crappy episode, and that it's just a shameless excuse for TOS movie fan service, but I don't care. Seeing Capt. Sulu square off against TOS' Kang is a real treat.

And even though Valtane didn't 'die' in STVI (we see him alive and on the Excelsior bridge at the end of STVI), I wish they could just do a fan edit of this episode, get rid of all the Voyager stuff and make it a very special bonus extra on a STVI future DVD or blu ray release.... :thumbup:

I, too, always love the "Die Hard in Star Trek" episodes like "Disaster" and "Genesis" and "Starship Mine" from TNG. "Starship Down" from DS9. "Marcocosm" from Voyager.

Dunno if that counts though.

The decon-room scenes of T'Pol maybe? :thumbup::angel_not::drool::giggle:

Nope, neither the episode, or the books. :P

Nope, neither the episode, or the books. :P

Something tells me the episode would've been a bit more interesting if it had had more to do with these dreadful books, tho. :P (I knooooow, the episode was there WAAAY before.)

TOS S3, "Whom Gods Destroy."

TNG S2, "Unnatural Selection." It's a Pulaski episode, and I love the character... sue me.

Something tells me the episode would've been a bit more interesting if it had had more to do with these dreadful books, tho. :P/> (I knooooow, the episode was there WAAAY before.)

So, the Episode That Might Have Been involved Riker unconscious in sickbay, dreaming about a creepy stalker man who tries to do BDSM stuff to him?

Well, interesting is one word for it. :laugh: