Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
prometheus59650

What's My Line?

34 posts in this topic

Your favorite line(s)

Any character, any series.

I'm more into quoting Firefly these says, but I always loved McCoy's "'I'd give real money if he'd shut up." (that whole sequence is rich in great lines, though)

"Sometimes, Number One, you just HAVE to bow to the absurd." ;)

"The Jem'Hadar don't eat, don't drink, and they don't have sex. And as if that wasn't bad enough, the Founders don't eat, don't drink, and they don't have sex, either. Which, between you and me, makes my financial future less than promising."

Quark, DS9 "By Inferno's Light".

"Don't worry Number One. All you need to do is grab your sword and chi-chi-chi pop."

Worf to Q: "Die"

Kirk: "Everybody remember where we parked"

Scotty: "Admiral...There be whales here"

McCoy: "I'd give real money if he'd shut up"

Spock: "If I were human, I believe my response would be 'Go to Hell', If I were human"

"Come on, Quark, move it along. You should be in the emergency shelter by now."

"I'm not going to any emergency shelter. This is my bar. And I'm going to defend it."

"Really? And how do you plan to do that?"

"With this."

"You're going to hit them with a box?"

"No, this is my disruptor pistol. The one I used to carry in the old days, when I was serving on that Ferengi freighter."

"I thought you were the ship's cook."

"That's right, and every member of that crew thought he was a food critic. If the Klingons try to get through these doors, I'll be ready for them."

(reads note in the empty box) " 'Dear Quark, Used parts from your disruptor to fix the replicators. Will return them soon. Rom.' "

"I will kill him!"

"With what?"

I laughed so hard!!!

"Indeed. The record shows that Captain Kirk once held the rank of Admiral. And that Admiral Kirk was broken for taking matters into his own hands in defiance of regulations of the law. Do you deny being demoted for these charges? Don't wait for the translation, answer me now!"

General Chang (Chris Plummer), Star Trek VI

(the last sentence is a direct quote of US Ambassador Adlai Stevenson command to the Soviet ambassador during the Cuban Missile Crisis of 1962).

McCoy in Journey to Babel. "Well, what do ya know? I finally got the last word."

"With what?"

That is delivered with such deadpan panache.

Yep, that's why it's one of my favs. Great, quick, witty banter and then that delivery.

"(The tractor beam) won't be installed until Tuesday."

"The medical staff... doesn't arrive untll Tuesday."

-- John Harriman, probably the biggest dill weed to ever command a starship named Enterprise... :laugh:

-- John Harriman, probably the biggest dill weed to ever command a starship named Enterprise... :laugh:

I wonder if there are reprimands in Harriman's record for beating the living hell out of the personnel officer and/or the Yardmaster.

I wonder if there are reprimands in Harriman's record for beating the living hell out of the personnel officer and/or the Yardmaster.

The reprimands.... won't be filed till Tuesday. :laugh:

One of my favorites is when Bashir is telling Garak about the boy who cried wolf and Garak's response is that the moral of the story is "don't tell the same lie twice".

One of my favorites is when Bashir is telling Garak about the boy who cried wolf and Garak's response is that the moral of the story is "don't tell the same lie twice".

Honestly, the original moral was so ingrained in my psyche, that when i heard that, it blew my mind. :)

Honestly, the original moral was so ingrained in my psyche, that when i heard that, it blew my mind. :)

I honestly quoted this particular scene in a facebook comment last night. It's (I think) his absolute best quote in the entire series.

I honestly quoted this particular scene in a facebook comment last night. It's (I think) his absolute best quote in the entire series.

Add me to the lovers of this quote as well. I, too, had NEVER considered Garak's viewpoint. I remember how I sat there, gaping at the TV when I saw that scene for the first time, lol. It's SO Garak. No other character would have pointed this out in this way.

I love the exchange between Garak and Bashir:

Garak: "They're all true."

Bashir: "Even the lies?"

Garak: "Especially the lies."

I love everything Garak says that begins with "My dear doctor..." ;) did I mention that these two are SO canon

Garak, to me, is truly one of the top ten characters in the entire franchise, and I'm counting the main casts as well.

Garak, to me, is truly one of the top ten characters in the entire franchise, and I'm counting the main casts as well.

He's a more fully realized character in one episode, much less the 30+ he appeared in than a lot of the main players in Voyager or Enterprise.

The writer's room apparently used to fight over who got to write him and it shows in every word.

Edited by prometheus59650

Agreed.

Garak is just one of those characters that really catches fire and reaches critical mass; if he were played by a lesser actor than Andy Robinson, I sincerely doubt he'd be as memorable. And DS9 is one of the few ST shows where the secondary characters were every bit as interesting (if not more so at times) than the main cast (Garak, Dukat, Dumar, Weyoun, Kai Winn, Rom, Leeta, The Grand Nagus... the secondary characters alone comprise a whole new ensemble cast!).

"Just plain, simple Garak."

(an understatement if ever I heard one)

and to think he was just a simple tailor!!!

Edited by kallen-bortas

and to think he was just a simple tailor!!!

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy.... ;)

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0