Sign in to follow this  
GustavoLeao

BAFFLED, Starring Leonard NImoy, Coming to DVD

The 1972 horror movie (ala X-Files) Baffled, starring Leonard Nimoy as a Mulder type with paranormal powers, will be available on DVD January 21. Recommended.

Gustavo

1487337_704864922859522_376109116_n.jpg

OMG!

We (my family) used to own this on CED videodisc (I know, I know; WTF is a CED disc?!?). My family picked ALL of the loser formats; Beta, CED, Laserdisc, 8-track tapes, you name it.

$(KGrHqYOKpkE3u71eG6OBN-ZN7PGd!~~_35.JPG << This is what it looked like; I got this image off ebay.

This movie (filmed in England) has a real atmosphere and Nimoy is great in the role of the paranormal hero. There are two versions of this film, one as movie,and another as a (unsold) pilot for a series.Shame it not sold, this has potential.

Gus

This movie (filmed in England) has a real atmosphere and Nimoy is great in the role of the paranormal hero. There are two versions of this film, one as movie,and another as a (unsold) pilot for a series.Shame it not sold, this has potential.

Gus

Kind of has a bit of "Night Gallery" mojo to it. It's not a bad movie, I just tease it for the (extremely) dated production values... was 1973 really that long ago?? Wow...

Nope, I see it too.

Actually 1973 was also the year that Leonard Nimoy made his director debut on the NIght Gallery episode "Death on a Barge"

Ah, the 1970s......

Gus

Nope, I see it too.

Actually 1973 was also the year that Leonard Nimoy made his director debut on the NIght Gallery episode "Death on a Barge"

Ah, the 1970s......

Gus

Night Gallery scared the wee-wee out of me as a kid. That theme song... such nightmare fuel, that was.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBY2d2qa4Mk

2540276099_OMFG_answer_1_xlarge.jpeg

Sadly, I do remember the '70s; if only vaguely.

Is it bad that all I see is Spock?

No, it's not.

Ironically, this was the stage when poor Nimoy was trying so hard to distance himself from the part. He even wrote the book, "I Am Not Spock."

And yet, most of his performances in this period seemed so.... Spock-like.

I like the more relaxed, at-ease Nimoy of today; he seems much more 'give or take' about the whole thing. After all, Spock did give him a very long-lived (and prosperous :P ) career, right?

That "I Am Not Spock" book... didn't the fans bombard him with hate mail for it so that he wrote a book called "I Am Spock" a few years later or is that yet another legend? lol

That "I Am Not Spock" book... didn't the fans bombard him with hate mail for it so that he wrote a book called "I Am Spock" a few years later or is that yet another legend? lol

I don't think they bombarded him with hate mail about it; but he did receive threats when they 'killed' Spock in TWOK.

He wrote "I Am Spock" in the mid-'90s (about the time Shatner did his "Star Trek Memories" tell-all books). I don't think it was written as an 'apology' so much as a changed perspective. He'd grown at peace with the role in a way he hadn't during the '70s. I remember reading somewhere that when he was first contacted for TMP and playing Spock again, he (literally) threw up. I'm not sure whether that's apocryphal or not, but I do know that part of the reason he didn't want to return for TMP is that he had a lawsuit against Paramount at the time regarding unpaid residuals and use of his image.

I don't think they bombarded him with hate mail about it; but he did receive threats when they 'killed' Spock in TWOK.

He wrote "I Am Spock" in the mid-'90s (about the time Shatner did his "Star Trek Memories" tell-all books). I don't think it was written as an 'apology' so much as a changed perspective. He'd grown at peace with the role in a way he hadn't during the '70s. I remember reading somewhere that when he was first contacted for TMP and playing Spock again, he (literally) threw up. I'm not sure whether that's apocryphal or not, but I do know that part of the reason he didn't want to return for TMP is that he had a lawsuit against Paramount at the time regarding unpaid residuals and use of his image.

Yeah I heard about the problems the role of Spock created for him back then... I think an iconic role in general is both a benefit and a burden for an actor, but that's just my opinion.

And yes, the TWOK threats I remember reading about as well. Still not sure what to think about these.

The interesting thing about the "I Am Spock" book is that played like a conversation between him and Spock. It was an interesting book.

The interesting thing about the "I Am Spock" book is that played like a conversation between him and Spock. It was an interesting book.

There was a chapter where he 'talked' to Spock as himself. That was kind of neat; like the Mork & Mindy episode where Mork 'met' actor Robin Williams....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koOf8oaNiCE

Edited by Sehlat Vie

Nimoy seems to have developed a very good sense of humor this recent years. He is still the man, buthe is more relaxed about life in recent years. I think THE VOYAGE HOME was the result of a more friendly Nimoy. And of course theres his best friend Bill Shatner to make him laugh of hid jokes..............................

1017044_705122499500431_33854304_n.jpg

Nimoy seems to have developed a very good sense of humor this recent years. He is still the man, buthe is more relaxed about life in recent years. I think THE VOYAGE HOME was the result of a more friendly Nimoy. And of course theres his best friend Bill Shatner to make him laugh of hid jokes..............................

1017044_705122499500431_33854304_n.jpg

Nimoy was very kind when I met him at Comic Con in 2009. He even shook my hand. :thumbup:

I've never met Shatner, but I've seen him in person many times. Someday maybe...

I remember watching this years ago and saved it to VHS tape...somewhere.....I recall it being decent, but not outstanding.

Nimoy's performance was good. Plot seemed a bit weak. Sorry I cant add more for those wondering about it.

[Gus, I just migrated here from that "other site" that is on is last legs. I was mostly a lurker there. Glad to see I'm in good company here on a very active site! And Thanks for all you did over "there"]

I remember watching this years ago and saved it to VHS tape...somewhere.....I recall it being decent, but not outstanding.

Nimoy's performance was good. Plot seemed a bit weak. Sorry I cant add more for those wondering about it.

[Gus, I just migrated here from that "other site" that is on is last legs. I was mostly a lurker there. Glad to see I'm in good company here on a very active site! And Thanks for all you did over "there"]

He does a lot here too; and he just got here! :thumbup:

And welcome aboard yourself, TIB. ;)

Thanks, TIB Nice to see you here

When I receive an email from Nimoy, who wanted to discuss TrekWeb, and later a phone call from his office I almost died.

I told my dad : "I just speak with Mr Nimoy on the phone because of the criticism on TrekWEb. I cant speak a word, just went ga ga ga LOL"

Thats the truth,

Gus

Thanks, TIB Nice to see you here

When I receive an email from Nimoy, who wanted to discuss TrekWeb, and later a phone call from his office I almost died.

I told my dad : "I just speak with Mr Nimoy on the phone because of the criticism on TrekWEb. I cant speak a word, just went ga ga ga LOL"

Thats the truth,

Gus

I remember meeting him at Comic Con and then texting my wife (who was elsewhere at the convention) saying "Just met Nimoy. Might faint soon..."

That was one of the few times at a convention where I felt genuinely starstruck. It was right up there with meeting Ray Bradbury, Ray Harryhausen, Buzz Aldrin and Edward James Olmos (I'm a huge BSG nerd).

The image is slightly blurry because my hands may have been shaking a tiny bit...

gallery_4836_42_157349.jpg

Nimoy makes a call to Brazil and all his hear is me on the other side of the line going "Mi-mis-ter NI-ninini-moy ? Ho-how a-a-a-a-a-re you do-dodo-ing :???????"

And Nimoy goes "Why is TrekWeb so negative about JJ Abrams movie ? Its a wonderful movie......" and I go "re-re-really ?????"

The phone call was all about Nimoy explaining why the movie was good and all I can say was "re-re-really ?????"

Some TrekWeb editor, huh ?

Gustavo

Edited by GustavoLeao

Nimoy makes a call to Brazil and all his hear is me on the other side of the line going "Mi-mis-ter NI-ninini-moy ? Ho-how a-a-a-a-a-re you do-dodo-ing :???????"

And Nimoy goes "Why is TrekWeb so negative about JJ Abrams movie ? Its a wonderful movie......" and I go "re-re-really ?????"

The phone call was all about Nimoy explaining why the movie was good and all I can say was "re-re-really ?????"

Gustavo

You should listen to Nimoy... ST09 is good, I tell you. :P The other one? Well, not so much... :laugh:

I remember asking him for two autographs, one for me and one for my sister (who's had a crush on him since she was about 10 or so). And he asked for her name. I told him. Later, when I told my sister the story, she kept saying, "Could you imitate him saying my name again? Slowly, this time?"

We still laugh over that one... :giggle:

Gustavo

lmao!

I'd have said "That's your opinion and that's perfectly fine. It's just that my opinion differs. Aren't you familiar with the Vulcan IDIC principle?" :P

And that is why I am too blunt for this world sometimes.

Gustavo

lmao!

I'd have said "That's your opinion and that's perfectly fine. It's just that my opinion differs. Aren't you familiar with the Vulcan IDIC principle?" :P

And that is why I am too blunt for this world sometimes.

I'm pretty sure I would've done exactly what Gus did... Nimoy made me feel like a 6 year old girl. :P:laugh:

tumblr_lg0elyhi9x1qzfbk3.gif

I'd voice my opinon on Nu!Trek towards ANYONE, no matter if they're the fan next door or Leonard Nimoy himself. :P Or even Sir Patrick (who liked the first Nu!Trek movie, too). I'd have no problems whatsoever. (Of course I'd try to be diplomatic about it. At first. Haha.)

I guess I just lack this "OMG ST ACTOR LEGEND" thing. Some are great actors, no doubt, and one of them is my 'precious bb', but still. Nu!Trek is where the hero worship ends. :P lol