Mishi

A Halloween Thread!

110 posts in this topic

I love the body wrapped in webbing and hanging from the tree.  It's so Body-Snatcher-like!

Got the camera out and took some pics from mum's party today.

qIOEAOC.jpg

ZfYt6Bd.jpg

Here be witches, me, mum, my sister Hazel and he daughters Niquitta and Mia

Dy3N5Tq.jpg

Where's Wally? Dead is the answer, courtesy of my other sister Leonie

Q8bIqQi.jpg

Hubbie went as a werewolf, complete with his glasses lol

m5KJxtm.jpg

N8dbDLO.jpg

And some food pics :D

Edited by Starblind

Hell yeah!!!

0545159ad276dc4a802dadc81a294e8e.gif

You and your hubby (and everyone) look magnificent.  Love the hat!!  And your hubby's werewolf look.  

You've inspired me; some year, I would love to do a witch.  Not a glam witch, but rather a Kathryn Najimy/Hocus Pocus/Witch Hazel type... maybe with elaborate prosthetic makeup so I won't have to shave my beard?   I honestly am tempted to do this now.

tumblr_mu7i9sGN591rdutw3o1_400.gif  << This is the kind of witch look I'd shoot for... ;)

A friend of mine and I did drag for Halloween when we were in high school and one year he did a pregnant nun for a parade in Seattle (where he's lived for the past 18 years or so).   I would love to totally go 180 from myself one Halloween and see if I could pull it off. 

But I'm such a chicken about shaving off my beard.... gotta figure a way around that one.:P

The costumes are cool, but I'm digging the food!

Aww thanks Sehlat, I really enjoyed myself last night. I'm sure you can pull off a witch without losing the beard. I know there's caps out there for people to hide their head hair without shaving it off, you might be able to find something like that and save the beard.

@ rta-man, the food was awesome, I really love the coffin cake the kids decorated, they also did the cheese straw fingers (home made cheese straws with black colouring and a raisin for the blackened fingernail)

Hell yeah!!!

You and your hubby (and everyone) look magnificent.  Love the hat!!  And your hubby's werewolf look.  

You've inspired me; some year, I would love to do a witch.  Not a glam witch, but rather a Kathryn Najimy/Hocus Pocus/Witch Hazel type... maybe with elaborate prosthetic makeup so I won't have to shave my beard?   I honestly am tempted to do this now.

tumblr_mu7i9sGN591rdutw3o1_400.gif  << This is the kind of witch look I'd shoot for... ;)

A friend of mine and I did drag for Halloween when we were in high school and one year he did a pregnant nun for a parade in Seattle (where he's lived for the past 18 years or so).   I would love to totally go 180 from myself one Halloween and see if I could pull it off. 

But I'm such a chicken about shaving off my beard.... gotta figure a way around that one.:P

Who says you gotta shave your beard?  Just add a chin prosthetic to cover it.  Then add a nose prosthetic to match.

This year, we did our daughter's first trick-or-treat, she didn't fully get what was going on but seemed to have fun:

IMG_0940.JPGIMG_0941.JPG

She is dressed as Abby Cadabby from Sesame Street (who is a fairly new character, but she has been around since at least 2010 when I started working at a PBS station right our of college), since she is obsessed with all things on the street.  For comparison here is what Abby looks like:

latest?cb=20101009175430

I think my wife did a great job making this one!

This year, we did our daughter's first trick-or-treat, she didn't fully get what was going on but seemed to have fun:

IMG_0940.JPGIMG_0941.JPG

She is dressed as Abby Cadabby from Sesame Street (who is a fairly new character, but she has been around since at least 2010 when I started working at a PBS station right our of college), since she is obsessed with all things on the street.  For comparison here is what Abby looks like:

latest?cb=20101009175430

I think my wife did a great job making this one!

OMG, she certainly did!   That's Comic Con good!  Great job.  She's adorable; nothing like a child's first trick or treat... :thumbup:

Hell yeah!!!

Who says you gotta shave your beard?  Just add a chin prosthetic to cover it.  Then add a nose prosthetic to match.

Just gotta be careful with the glue... I'm actually seriously considering this for next year; too late for this year, though.  But next year?  Definitely.  Starblind?  I'm thanking you in advance for the inspiration...

But this year  I'm wearing my yellow "Los Pollos Hermanos" apron from Breaking Bad with a red t-shirt; I'm going as an employee of one of Gus Fring's chicken restaurants.   :P

Got the window ghost up and running tonight....

a6897ec168119156db1a6ad4ce5da92a.jpg57441c72cbeef6bb7ccd46ee7ed57c75.jpg

My zombies in a group photo:

halloween2015-08.jpg

Here's a little closer on the right:

halloween2015-11.jpg

And a little closer on the left:

halloween2015-15.jpg

Of course, they love to play:

halloween2015-22.jpg

The mailman wouldn't deliver today.

halloween2015-35.jpg

* blows a year-long collection of dust off of thread... * 

There, that's better... :thumbup:

Well, even though my favorite holiday, Halloween, falls on a Monday this year (boo! Hiss!) I decided to continue my tradition of going all-out on this one special day of the year.    Besides, at our house?  Halloween isn't just a date on a calendar; it's a lifestyle.    We basically celebrate the entire month, and this year I've been adding some new ideas to our usual setup, including hidden outdoor LED projectors with moving images of ghosts and skeletons that gave our humble abode a cool, Disney-esque, Haunted Mansion vibe.  

Inside of the Haunted House of Vie....

208a090d99f8acb6db86bbf7cb8b0744.jpg8a76a53843dd2bc02c1b353c85fb71d4.jpg

79165059e078c218620a261fa512a1dd.jpgea980f969958651f8cd909f1b300ed2e.jpg1a1f2b2da3a595642af7debe50bf31c6.jpg556c692c1f77706ee31d291d22ef41ac.jpg

And now, let's go outside, to our lawn graveyard, in a freakishly rare-for-Southern-California-rainstorm....

f8de23e30684825b412cfc68f427ceb8.jpg

And after dark...

562cf10c669055d05157962ce3769d8d.jpg
d687663499117b582cd144fce512c882.jpg
a5621360f0766749e393decfe9b2c09d.jpg
a0783909b583732479fd6c89f984f3d4.jpg
ae889783b19e92b01b87f63c43d022b0.jpg

I was VERY pleased with the LED projectors; they gave a lot of energy and movement to our outdoor display; I especially loved how the ghosts appeared to rise from the graves.  The giant swaying skull on our garage door gets a LOT of slowing (and even one or two stopped) cars driving by our house.   The little dancing skeletons near our kitchen window were nice, too.   

Very "Haunted Mansion-on-a-budget."  

I plan to use the LEDs as many years as they'll work.    Anyway, this is our Halloween haunt for this year; more pics to come, I'm sure. ;)

SaveSave

I'm totally digging your garage door skull!

Thank you, Mr. Picard.  If only there were a way I could beam you over to see it!  :laugh:

This (below) was a last minute piece of inspiration while I was setting up the lawn graveyard a couple weeks ago: my wife named it "Ernie"....:giggle:

c46da223a3761f25530912d6d3bad972.jpg

Another pic of the ghosts and skull face... just love 'em!

569a24cc461517b9cc632b714d2b5f98.jpg

Thank you, Mr. Picard.  If only there were a way I could beam you over to see it!  :laugh:

This (below) was a last minute piece of inspiration while I was setting up the lawn graveyard a couple weeks ago: my wife named it "Ernie"....:giggle:

Glad I'm not afraid of spiders. :P Nah seriously I'd love to come over and take a look at all your Halloween stuff. It really gets even better with each passing year!

Glad I'm not afraid of spiders. :P Nah seriously I'd love to come over and take a look at all your Halloween stuff. It really gets even better with each passing year!

Thank you SO much.  

I put my heart & soul into Halloween; our modest little house has a reputation as being one of the best 'haunts' in our neighborhood, but I don't do this for boasting or for pride.  I do it because I just love the feel of Halloween; the fun, the energy, all of it.    It means a lot when the work is appreciated. 

And yes, I would love to have you beam on down and take a look in person.  We could watch a bit of TNG S1 on blu ray and I could finally hear an episode with your  live commentary; hell, I would INVENT transporter technology to make that happen if I had the ability to rewrite the laws of physics! :thumbup:

Thank you SO much.  

I put my heart & soul into Halloween; our modest little house has a reputation as being one of the best 'haunts' in our neighborhood, but I don't do this for boasting or for pride.  I do it because I just love the feel of Halloween; the fun, the energy, all of it.    It means a lot when the work is appreciated. 

And yes, I would love to have you beam on down and take a look in person.  We could watch a bit of TNG S1 on blu ray and I could finally hear an episode with your  live commentary; hell, I would INVENT transporter technology to make that happen if I had the ability to rewrite the laws of physics! :thumbup:

I'm the LAST person who's in a position to judge others for putting up stuff inside their house! ;) (Or outside.) I think it's great what you're doing. I like it when people are dedicated to doing what they like fannish-wise and don't give a damn about what others might think. You rock with your amazing Halloween decorations!

Thank you SO much.  

I'm the LAST person who's in a position to judge others for putting up stuff inside their house! ;) (Or outside.) I think it's great what you're doing. I like it when people are dedicated to doing what they like fannish-wise and don't give a damn about what others might think. You rock with your amazing Halloween decorations!

giphy.gif :happy:

It's really awesome, Sehlat! :thumbup:

It's a pity Halloween is not really celebrated over here... at least not widely. It didn't exist at all before it swapped over via American pop culture, and business found ways of making money with it, but it's still very uncommon for people to decorate their houses. :(

We only have a bare minimum of decoration at our apartment: A spider web with a little plastic skeleton. Oh, and our daughter got this mask:

IMG-20160926-WA0006.jpg

It's a pity Halloween is not really celebrated over here... at least not widely. It didn't exist at all before it swapped over via American pop culture, and business found ways of making money with it, but it's still very uncommon for people to decorate their houses. :(

We only have a bare minimum of decoration at our apartment: A spider web with a little plastic skeleton. Oh, and our daughter got this mask:

IMG-20160926-WA0006.jpg

^
Aw, such an adorable little girl... 
:laugh:

IMG-20160926-WA0006.jpg

Tell her her mask is suitably terrifying. :P 

Sehlat Vie, LED floating ghosts is a fantastic effect over a graveyard!  I've seen the display models at Home Depot, but never realized how that would look so good over a few tombstones.

Sim, I love it that your daughter favored a scary mask.  She looks great -- just like my grand daughters do in scary costumes.  If you like Halloween, you shouldn't scale down just because everyone else does.  Set a precedent how Halloween should look.

I just began putting out my display.  Here's what's staged in the garage to set up tomorrow.  Trick-or-treaters will experience the zombie apocalypse before getting their candy.

DSCN7744.JPG

Sehlat Vie, LED floating ghosts is a fantastic effect over a graveyard!  I've seen the display models at Home Depot, but never realized how that would look so good over a few tombstones.

Sim, I love it that your daughter favored a scary mask.  She looks great -- just like my grand daughters do in scary costumes.  If you like Halloween, you shouldn't scale down just because everyone else does.  Set a precedent how Halloween should look.

I just began putting out my display.  Here's what's staged in the garage to set up tomorrow.  Trick-or-treaters will experience the zombie apocalypse before getting their candy.

DSCN7744.JPG

^
You sir, humble me.

I bow to your work... :thumbup:

I just LOVE your zombies; I still remember your zombie field from last year.  That was just incredible. 

And yes, those LED projectors: I bought them at Target and Home Depot, $20 a pop.   When you see them in action, they are amazing.  Again; it's Disneyland's Haunted Mansion on a budget.  :laugh:

Due to the rain, I couldn't finish putting up my display today.  Tomorrow (Halloween Day), there's no threat of rain.  I can finally finish the animation, lighting and sound.  I had to begin covering the static props with contractor trash bags.

DSCN7756.JPG

DSCN7757.JPG

Due to the rain, I couldn't finish putting up my display today.  Tomorrow (Halloween Day), there's no threat of rain.  I can finally finish the animation, lighting and sound.  I had to begin covering the static props with contractor trash bags.

DSCN7756.JPG

DSCN7757.JPG

^
That is awesome beyond words.... holy smokes, you do excellent work. 
:thumbup: