Mishi

A Halloween Thread!

110 posts in this topic

I'll keep Bach's "Toccatta and Fugue" in mind. That sounds pretty good. Right now, I use Midnight Syndicate's "Gates of Delirium" as mood music.

I'll put up the images from my 2013 display on Thirsday night. On Halloween night, I give the trick-or-treaters good chocolate candy (Snickers, Milky Ways, Butterfingers, Twix). I figure if they're brave enough to walk up my driveway, they deserve the good stuff.

I'll keep Bach's "Toccatta and Fugue" in mind. That sounds pretty good. Right now, I use Midnight Syndicate's "Gates of Delirium" as mood music.

I'll put up the images from my 2013 display on Thirsday night. On Halloween night, I give the trick-or-treaters good chocolate candy (Snickers, Milky Ways, Butterfingers, Twix). I figure if they're brave enough to walk up my driveway, they deserve the good stuff.

Bach really scares the crap out of the kids in my neighborhood. It's almost become a dare for some of the kids to walk all the way up to our door (past our darkened garage with Bach piping in...). My wife will usually meet them halfway if they get too scared...

And yes, we do candy bars too; two pieces usually. We also figure that if they're brave enough to put up with all of our spooky-ass stuff as well, then they too, deserve a reward. Too much alike on this, you and I... :laugh:

Edited by Sehlat Vie

What, Sehlat? You're in love with rta-man? :( *jealousssssss* :P

Nah, seriously, rta-man, I love these! My favorite's the Walking Dead farmhouse scene one.

Got a few pics of things I have up in my front window right now. Apologies for the poor quality pics. Only camera I have right now s the naff thing on my phone and a replacement camera is waaaay down my list of things I need to be spending money on right now as I've been spending money on getting our car running right.

Starting with these fetching ceramic pumpkin night lights (I'll be carving a real pumpkin on the night)

281013-1150_zps3aa103b0.jpg

Old Bonehead and one of the tombstones i have in the window

281013-1142_zps8a1cea55.jpg

And his pet whatever the hell it is :giggle:

281013-1143002_zpscc0a6596.jpg

Home-made skull candles

281013-1143001_zpscd0d93de.jpg

This thing's my favourite piece I own :)

281013-1143_zpsac529dc6.jpg

And Richard's bloody severed head prop. He once dressed up, took this on a chain and a lantern out to the graveyard up our road one year and frightened the crap out of some parents and kids. The fact that it was a foggy night only helped with the apparition effect he was going for :)

281013-1205_zpscd75b0cd.jpg

Display from the outside. Pic's crap because I get a hatful of glare from the windows and from the houses across the road:( )

281013-1207_zps1a0d5499.jpg

See what I mean by the glare now

281013-1208001_zps03c9b2cd.jpg

281013-1208_zps5bc0e8d7.jpg

What, Sehlat? You're in love with rta-man? :( *jealousssssss* :P

Nah, seriously, rta-man, I love these! My favorite's the Walking Dead farmhouse scene one.

You little flatterer you.... don't ever stop. :thumbup:

And yes, that "Walking Dead" scene would be my ultimate yard display, as WD is my current favorite show on at the moment (but we live in a property managed association and I'd probably be fined... I'm already risking things by having two severed zombie heads in my garage window). :giggle:

10284113774_e63b56cee8_z.jpg

Edit: OMG Starblind those are SOOOOO cool!! :ohmy::thumbup:

I actually have that skull garland and that tombstone (I use different pieces every year, or the same pieces rearranged; you might see them next year). And I just love all the other pieces you have as well (including the candles and the head in blood). That skull spider is so wonderfully TWISTED!!

You did a terrific job!

Edited by Sehlat Vie

Thanks Sehlat. :biggrin: I'd like to do so much more than this, but a lack of a front garden to speak of and the need to bolt anything I do leave out there down rather buggers my plans up.

Thanks Sehlat. :biggrin: I'd like to do so much more than this, but a lack of a front garden to speak of and the need to bolt anything I do leave out there down rather buggers my plans up.

Well, you've done wonders given those restrictions.

As a former apartment (flat; like your word for it better) dweller years ago, I remember my difficulties in doing a proper Halloween decor as well. I'd usually hang stuff on my door or have sounds piping in from the windows. And of course, inside my flat would be totally decorated from top to bottom. My only 'restriction' now is that our housing tract is within a managed property estate (i.e, we all have to live by certain 'guidelines' within our neighborhood association). But I've never had to take any Halloween decoration down (yet).

Edited by Sehlat Vie

Mack~

Those are incredible!

That Obi wan Kenobi pumpkin is just magnificent (that's pumpkin as an art form). Love the Enterprise too. All of them are quite amazing. Great job!

Sehlat Vie, I wouldn't worry too much about the association. People love to see this kind of stuff.

Remember... it's always better to ask for forgiveness, than it is to ask for permission.

Sehlat Vie, I wouldn't worry too much about the association. People love to see this kind of stuff.

Remember... it's always better to ask for forgiveness, than it is to ask for permission.

True.

They used to be much more anal-retentive when we first moved here; they let a lot of stuff slide now it seems (may need to test that in a couple days.... * evil laugh*).

And I just tested my small, battery-powered strobe light tonight (to light my lawn graveyard on Halloween night); works like a charm. I also have all of my other lights rigged up to timers. Should be fun.

Chateau Sehlat Vie is open for business on Halloween night! :thumbup:

I am loving all of these halloween pictures!

Sehlat, "Pageant of the Monsters" looks like it was a Monster Bash :P I miss going to things like that. Years ago I volunteered at my squadron's haunted house when I was stationed in Japan. It was a blast. I liked scaring people, ha ha.

Starblind: Awesome decorations! We have one similar to that skeleton spider. All our stuff is still boxed up though, and we live in a small apartment. I haven't decorated because there is still one area lined with boxes from the move, and no. LOL No thanks!

RTA: Epic. Epic. And Epic! Do you have your own version of a haunted house? XD

I liked scaring people, ha ha.

I live for it... :laugh:

Mishi, I'd absolutely LOVE my own haunted attraction; but for now, I have to settle for my Lawn of the Dead. This year's pictures will be up on Halloween night.

I almost forgot to show off my 'haunted guest bathroom'..... MUUUAAAAAHHHAAAAHHAAAAA!!! We put these pieces up every year in our bathroom....

8144683224_2a9aec1256_z.jpg

This was from last year, but it looks exactly the same right now.

^ Freaky. :giggle:

Got our pumpkin carved now, nothing too fancy ( I don't want to lose any fingers doing this :giggle: )

311013-0853_zpsfcc9d040.jpg

Tres cool, Starblind!

Which reminds me, I have two big ass pumpkins to carve this morning; I was going to do so last night, but I spend half the night at my friends' house helping her and her daughter make Halloween cupcakes (took half a dozen home for us, too). I've got a LOT of work to do this morning....

Tres cool, Starblind!

Which reminds me, I have two big ass pumpkins to carve this morning; I was going to do so last night, but I spend half the night at my friends' house helping her and her daughter make Halloween cupcakes (took half a dozen home for us, too). I've got a LOT of work to do this morning....

Sounds like fun. Sounds like hard work too :giggle: We've got two pumpkins, but they're nowhere near the size of the monsters you get over there, and I only carved one of them. I had to make pie and soup afterwards and I like having a second pumpkin around so I can make another load of soup later on in the week.

Tres cool, Starblind!

Sounds like fun. Sounds like hard work too :giggle: We've got two pumpkins, but they're nowhere near the size of the monsters you get over there, and I only carved one of them. I had to make pie and soup afterwards and I like having a second pumpkin around so I can make another load of soup later on in the week.

Oooh, I love pumpkin soup... can I invite myself over? :P

Unfortunately, the rain cancelled by display. All my animatronics are electrical, and I use lots of lighting and portable CD players.

Here's a couple more zombies from my horde that would've went out:

halloween2013-02.jpg

halloween2013-03.jpg

Here's close-ups of the heads from my zombie nurse and TWD farmer:

halloween2013-07.jpg

halloween2013-05.jpg

The videos of my new animatronics are here:

http://www.discoveringbranches.com/halloween2013/

(The video file sizes are large, so they might take awhile to buffer)

Our Halloween went over well.

We had two good friends of ours over for pizza, cupcakes and coffee. All told, we had about 180 trick or treaters this year. Three big 150 piece bags of candy gone by 8:45. Not our biggest, not our worst. Average.

I felt like I sort of half-assed it on my pumpkins, but I got lots of compliments on them (!) surprisingly. More so than previous years. And the strobes on the lawn graveyard went over very well. One of the trick or treaters left a big flower on one of my lawn skeletons! Very cute....

10603619703_cbd0ae1df9.jpg << The flower is just over the skeleton's knee...

I just wore my Fred Flintstone outfit. I'm afraid that, despite my loving Halloween more than any other holiday, I just don't do much to myself these days. I'm too impatient (and claustrophobic) for elaborate, high-maintenance makeups; the kind I used to do in my younger years with no problem at all. Oh well. Still, Halloween was a big success.

10603373835_95e175bb3e.jpg10603393266_b8d63c5a11_z.jpg10603388774_eeecc5d156.jpg

10603390184_9b03744163.jpg10603637343_6d9be765b9.jpg

Shame about the weather rta-man :(

Sehlat, sure, get on a plane and come round for pie, by the way, I love the second pumpkin that's being squished :giggle:

We had our usual mob of trick or treaters. I wore black head to toe, my long hair wig fine old re-enacting cape and topped it off with my black walking out hat I dressed up with a band and some white feathers and used my cane with the brass bird head handle. Got hit with a cold yesterday and almost lost my voice so I couldn't pull my usual trick of screeching in the hallway to scare the kiddies, so I had to make do with randomly knocking back on the door, swirling my cape and hissing like a vampire. Shame really, I made half a dozen kids drop their haul and run down the steps back to their parents last year with my screeching :twisted:

Thanks to said cold, the decs have had a stay of execution and are still up :giggle:

Shame about the weather rta-man :(

Sehlat, sure, get on a plane and come round for pie, by the way, I love the second pumpkin that's being squished :giggle:

We had our usual mob of trick or treaters. I wore black head to toe, my long hair wig fine old re-enacting cape and topped it off with my black walking out hat I dressed up with a band and some white feathers and used my cane with the brass bird head handle. Got hit with a cold yesterday and almost lost my voice so I couldn't pull my usual trick of screeching in the hallway to scare the kiddies, so I had to make do with randomly knocking back on the door, swirling my cape and hissing like a vampire. Shame really, I made half a dozen kids drop their haul and run down the steps back to their parents last year with my screeching :twisted:

That.

Is.

So.

Awesome!!!!!

citizen_cane.gif

Normally, I let my creations do all the scaring for me, but every once in a while, I love to jiggle something, or put a fan to my 'window witch' and make it move a bit. That, plus the Bach organ music, usually do the trick.... :giggle: