Mishi

A Halloween Thread!

110 posts in this topic

Halloween is my favorite holiday, and I have to work that night (I'm happy about this because we get to dress up at work).

I'm thinking of going as a pirate because all of my other costumes are dresses or have long, flowy sleeves. Since I deal with a lot of hands stuff, they will get in the way. However, I'm not 100% sure I'm going to a be a pirate :P Any ideas on things to be without flowy sleeves?

What are you doing for Halloween? Post it all here! I love reading about other people's Halloweens.

Oh I'll be doing my usual thing of decorarting our living room windows in the next few days, carving another wicked looking pumpkin and making pumpkin pie and soup.

Costume wise, I've done a variety of shrieking ghouls and ghastly figures in general. I have a habit of snarling or shrieking (I knew years of singing to a variety of metal bands had a practical use) behind the door and keep a score of how many kids end up crapping themselves and running down the path :giggle:

I'll have a decent amount of time to dress up this year as I'll have a day off from work for once.

I had plans of what to be. But, I'll most likely not be anything. Don't have money (as always).

Halloween is busy at our house.

We usually get (and I'm NOT exaggerating) between 120-160 trick or treaters in an average Halloween. Our house is one of the spookiest in the neighborhood. I usually get the house all decorated (it is right now, in fact; all I have left to do is finish the lawn graveyard tomorrow afternoon). I also play Bach's "Toccatta and Fugue" in a hidden boom box from the garage (spooks the hell out of the kids; some are too afraid to approach when it's playing, so my wife will bring the candy out to the driveway sometimes).

Some of our decor (inside and outside):

10284239555_68752a9b06_z.jpg10373215175_81e2508515_z.jpg

10284113774_e63b56cee8.jpg8144552976_2b7eeee104_z.jpg8144691016_9eccfe8134_z.jpg8144549536_b6d29fa705_z.jpg

And of course, there is the 'shrine' to my favorite Disney movie, "The Nightmare Before Christmas" (I even have a Jack Skellington license plate frame on my car)

10284234625_da462e5bc4_z.jpg

Halloween night, we are probably having company, and we'll just slip in a nice vintage scary movie (y'know, a REAL scary movie) and watch in between dishing out candy to the kids.

Last weekend, my wife and I also went to a local "Zombie Crawl" being held in our city; it was nice. They had a few people in costumes, music, booths and zombie dancing and games (even zombie target practice for the kids).

This weekend however (the 26th) my wife and I are going to an event in Laguna Hills called "The Pageant of the Monsters" (it's sort of a high-end art show/haunted fairground near the Hollywood Hills.... should be fun).

But Halloween night? It's all about passing out the candy. Costume wise? I'll probably just wear my Fred Flintstone outfit; it's easy and comfortable.

Edited by Sehlat Vie

Yeah .... I think you've slightly outdone my decorations Sehlat ... Your displays look amazing :)

Those pictures are awesome, Sehlat! We live in an apartment right now, so we didn't really decorate this year.

Starblind, are you going to take pictures? I must live my Halloween decorating vicariously through others this year and next :P

I think I decided on the pirate costume. I can wear pants and sleeves that won't get in the way of my work.

Those pictures are awesome, Sehlat! We live in an apartment right now, so we didn't really decorate this year.

Starblind, are you going to take pictures? I must live my Halloween decorating vicariously through others this year and next :P

I think I decided on the pirate costume. I can wear pants and sleeves that won't get in the way of my work.

Pirate.

Good choice! A time-honored favorite.

And glad you liked the pics. We pour our hearts into Halloween... :thumbup:

How about going as zombie Fred, Sehlat? ;) I mean it's Halloween... maybe I'm biased because I could never be scared of you, hehe! Love your decorations btw.

How about going as zombie Fred, Sehlat? ;) I mean it's Halloween... maybe I'm biased because I could never be scared of you, hehe! Love your decorations btw.

Thank you and thank you.

Zombie Fred, eh? That's actually a very funny idea.... I think I could do that. :thumbup:

I just finished putting up my lawn graveyard today; the photo of my lawn above was from last year (I cheated a bit :P ).

Most of my 'ghouls' from previous years were pretty tattered/broken this year, so I decided to just put up skeletons. Turned out OK. Not as gory as I prefer, but OK. At any rate, I took some photos and played with them a bit in iPhoto to look more eerie (it's very difficult to go gothic properly here in sunny, southern California... :giggle: ). Here goes:

10465848824_7152dbc287_z.jpg10466013673_de465df6aa.jpg

10465841685_ebf54c7916_z.jpg10465837656_051d4d225e_z.jpg

And a nice, severed zombie hand in the bushes....

10465852714_d30f43d2b2_z.jpg

Edited by Sehlat Vie

I'll take some pics (or try to) when I get the decs out in the next day or so. I do a nice big window display but every time in the past I've tried to take pics I get so much glare off of the glass you can't see things all that well. I can't do anything elaborate in the garden, partly because it's just a small patio, but largely because anything i put out there will get stolen in no time. :soapbox:

Edited by Starblind

OMG Sehlat that looks AWESOME! If someone did that here, people would call the cops (the only thing some folks do over here is put a pumpkin in front of their house but that's all). LOL I love it, really! I'd love to come visit you on Halloween. Why are you so far away? :(

OMG Sehlat that looks AWESOME! If someone did that here, people would call the cops (the only thing some folks do over here is put a pumpkin in front of their house but that's all). LOL I love it, really! I'd love to come visit you on Halloween. Why are you so far away? :(

Damn you, geography! :narn:

I'll take some pics (or try to) when I get the decs out in the next day or so. I do a nice big window display but every time in the past I've tried to take pics I get so much glare off of the glass you can't see things all that well. I can't do anything elaborate in the garden, partly because it's just a small patio, but largely because anything i put out there will get stolen in no time. :soapbox:

I find that using my camera's low light setting helps a tiny bit when photographing glass displays (also an off-center angle seems to help as well). It's tough though, especially if its a bright day (as we often have here in California).

OMG, awesome yard, Sehlat! My best friend back home goes all out for Halloween too. She has an entire fake graveyard with black lights, dark ice, skeletons, and the works!

Starblind, I looked forward to pictures! Ugh, I hate how people think that just because something is outside, they can steal it. I also hate people who deface things.

Pirate.

He he, yeah. Everyone likes pirates! I'm still the "new gal," so I don't want to go full out nerd on them yet with Star Trek, Babylon 5, and etc...Need to test the waters first, and a pirate knows how to test waters :P So far I know there are a few nerds like me there.

OMG, awesome yard, Sehlat! My best friend back home goes all out for Halloween too. She has an entire fake graveyard with black lights, dark ice, skeletons, and the works!

Starblind, I looked forward to pictures! Ugh, I hate how people think that just because something is outside, they can steal it. I also hate people who deface things.

Pirate.

He he, yeah. Everyone likes pirates! I'm still the "new gal," so I don't want to go full out nerd on them yet with Star Trek, Babylon 5, and etc...Need to test the waters first, and a pirate knows how to test waters :P So far I know there are a few nerds like me there.

Serious though. Who hasn't been a pirate at least once?

Sehlat Vie, that looks great man. You and your wife outdid yourselves.

Sehlat Vie, that looks great man. You and your wife outdid yourselves.

Weyoun.jpg << Why, thank you yet again, Founder... :)

YARRRRG, that be a mighty fine picture you posting, Sehlat. Weyoun is one of my favorites, and ages ago I made myself a Vorta jacket, lol! I should post that in my collection thread at one point.

YARRRRG, that be a mighty fine picture you posting, Sehlat. Weyoun is one of my favorites, and ages ago I made myself a Vorta jacket, lol! I should post that in my collection thread at one point.

I just love that look on his face.... like he just won an Academy award, or watched a young colt take it's first steps. :P

Nice decorations sehla vie....my favorite holiday is in december when i do the most dectorating in the house & outside ...this year for holloween i do have decorations just inside the house... maybe when i hand out goodies i will dress up thats scarry by it self....

Nice decorations sehla vie....my favorite holiday is in december when i do the most dectorating in the house & outside ...this year for holloween i do have decorations just inside the house... maybe when i hand out goodies i will dress up thats scarry by it self....

Thanks.

I'm kind of the opposite; I do a gaudy over-the-top Halloween and a rather simple, dignified Christmas (usually just a couple connected strands of blue/white LED lights outside and a wreath). You'd think from my over-the-top Halloween decor, that I'd have a giant, inflatable Santa Claus on my front lawn, or a herd of electric reindeer on the roof, but alas, no.... :P

Last night, we (my wife, our friend and I) went to the "Pageant of the Monsters" art festival in Laguna beach. It was a LOT of fun. They had zombies, live music, arts/crafts projects for kids, a 'haunted house' (more like a haunted cruise ship; details later), an alien autopsy and just a nice, funky Halloween carnival atmosphere. We (my wife, myself and our friend) had a great time. The best part was seeing the actual set pieces, costumes and props used in previous Pageant of the Masters' art shows up close; usually, you only get to see them at a distance in the amphitheater. Since they recycled many of the pieces from previous shows, you could just walk right up and touch them!

10506089965_b28e348b1c_z.jpg10506292833_00e1c36e8c.jpg

10506102074_db559243e6_z.jpg10506050335_1a583f4357_z.jpg

10506096814_6359711331_z.jpg10506077904_34ca5e43a4_z.jpg

10506057664_cc2d472d89.jpg10506048285_46a9efa662.jpg

10506036434_e2dbcb5a7f.jpg10506048944_be97fe5313_z.jpg

My biggest regret; you weren't allowed to take pics during the "haunted ocean liner" tour. sad.gif

They dressed up the art festival's amphitheater and massive back stage spaces to essentially recreate a doomed ocean liner "Titania" (Titanic surrogate) on land; complete with ghosts dancing in the ship's ballroom, drowned passengers in life jackets at your feet, ghouls performing evacuation drills, and even a peek inside the boiler room. It was AMAZING! But (sadly) I couldn't take any pics of that. We had a really good time though. It was fun! thumbup.gif

Edited by Sehlat Vie

Sehlat Vie! You're a man after my own heart. I absolutely LOVE Halloween! Here's last year's display:

http://www.discoveri.../halloween2012/

This year's additions are:

I converted the animated Spirit Halloween's electrocuted prisoner into a convulsing zombie in a wheelchair.

kit-bash01.jpg

Then I changed the head and beefed-up the severed arms from Spirit Halloween's zombie nurse.

kit-bash02.jpg

Of course a tribute to TWD's S1 farmhouse scene.

halloween201301.jpg

This one was supposed to be an animated zombie on an elderly walker, but I added some guts and now she rocks back and forth on the ground.

halloween201302.jpg

Rta-man? Don't take this the wrong way (I'm a happily married man) but I think I love you.... :inlove::laugh:

large.gif

Nice to see I'm not the only one who realizes that Halloween is the only TRUE holiday in the United States.... :P