GenesisDevice

How would you change Enterprise?

Oh, Enterprise. You poor, poor, poor devil. You had the potential to be the best Star Trek series ever, but alas... I know there are plenty of people who love it just the way it is, but here is how I would change things...

CHARACTERS

1 - It's high time Star Trek had some decent gender balance, rather than one woman for every two or three men. So let's make Travis a woman and GIVE HER SOME DECENT LINES FOR GOODNESS' SAKE. It my current re-watch of a Enterprise I've made it a point to count how many lines the poor pilot has, and it's exceeded ten maybe three times in fifty-odd episodes so far. Today there were three episodes in a row where he didn't have a single line. By the end of the first season we knew that Porthos could sit on command and liked to eat cheese... we didn't know nearly as much about Travis.

So yeah. Equalise male-female ratios among the main characters, and take the women off the bottom rung. Have Hoshi in charge of someone. Show her fixing that comm array she's supposed to be so skilled with. And give that gods-damned pilot some character.

2 - GIVE T'POL A PROPER UNIFORM. This is the one that really frakking annoys me. Rick, Brannon, let me tell you something - it is possible for a woman to be a decent, well-rounded character without having to shove her (ostensibly) decent, well-rounded breasts in our faces. I have a feeling that Berman was behind Kira's sudden, pointless catsuit in DS9's fourth season.

We see Vulcans of both sexes aboard Vulcan ships where the women have actual, proper, non-catsuit uniforms. My moment of greatest respect for T'Pol was those precious few seconds in "Twilight" when she wore an actual Starfleet uniform. Why oh why did she not get another one when she formalised her commission in season four? Why oh WHY did she not have an actual uniform in the first place?

3 - In the twenty-second century, there are surely laws in place prohibiting discrimination of any kind. So let's invoke that law and have Reed be the gay man he was obviously supposed to be. And while we're at it, someone tell the writers that ENGLISH PEOPLE DO NOT SPEAK LIKE THAT. "Oh, I belieeeeve so, I'm not cyeeertin, jolly good" etc, I can't stand it. I would've thought Dominic Keating might have stood up to such blatant Anglophobia, but I guess B&B's determination to make sure America reigns supreme was too strong.

SETTING

1 - Well this point is obvious, and can probably encompass most of the rest. Take the series out of the twenty-fourth century. I can live with the twenty-fourth century starship design but come on... The writers of Enterprise seemed to have this horrible affliction that prevented them from sticking to their own premise. Thus we have phasers and force fiends when we should've had...

2 - Real weapons. Swap the phasers (sorry, "phase cannons/pistols", what a lame name) for rail guns and bullets and the photon(ic) torpedoes for better versions of the missiles they had in seasons one and two. Specify their composition, whether conventional explosive or nuclear, but no technobabble. Make us believe that there is some ways to go get.

3 - No antimatter, no dilithium. Again, stop spoon-feeding us twenty-fourth century Trek. Give us a reasonable extrapolation of current technology - let's see a fusion reactor in engineering instead of a generic twenty-fourth century warp core.

4 - No planets/aliens/anomalies of the week. It may have worked for TNG but this is a whole different era and the ship is a snail compared to the D. If you can't scrape together enough story for even one episode without using random aliens to create false peril then you're in the wrong job...

5 - How about some continuity here and there? The ship gets beaten up enough, it would be nice to see that damage again next week. But that's an old complaint dating back to day one of Voyager...

Don't take this the wrong way, I do like Enterprise generally... but yeah, there is a lot of room for improvement, and that list hardly scratches the surface. Anyone care to add to it?

Benedict   

That was one thing, T'Pol's uniform. She becomes part of Starfleet effectively mid-Season 4 but doesn't get the uniform to match. And personally she suited it better than her Vulcan garb (there's one episode other than Mirror Darkly where she's in Starfleet blue).

I'd omit Travis/helm as a regular character altogether. You could get away without the helm having too much of a main character or have a TNG type thing with Ensign McKnight/Chief O'Brien -every other line.

As for the damage it was consistent in Season 3 and 4. Especially Season 3.

Refitted Enterprise and Romulan War additions but that would've been a fifth season problem onwards.

Things I'd change:

* Give Travis an actual role to play instead of 'smiling guy at helm'; he had little more to do than a prop.

* Give T'Pol a damn uniform; even a Vulcan one. The catsuit thing was just an ill-calculated attempt to sweep up some remaining Seven of Nine mojo. Fail.

* Make the NX-01 a bit more primitive on the outside.

I was OK with the interior looking like a steel nuclear submarine (I liked it actually), but the outside looks like part of the armada in "First Contact"; way too 24th century.... maybe make it a Daedalus class with a spherical primary hull?

* I agree with the above about Malcolm; they make him a stereotype right out of Victorian London. I mean, I'm surprised his personal bookshelf didn't just have Dickens & Shakespeare. Bloomin' awful, it tis... :giggle:

* No temporal cold war.

This was designed as a half-ass way for the show to 'cheat' continuity when it didn't need to. Things are ALREADY going to be different. The NX-01 timeline only existed (IMO) as a direct (or indirect) result of interference from the Enterprise E crew in "First Contact." Think about it; before FC there were only 6 starships named Enterprise. Post FC? There are seven. Obviously the timeline was diddled with when the Borg fired on Montana, when Lily didn't make her scheduled flight with Cochrane, and when Cochrane himself was so blatantly messed with; he was even told about the statue! "Regeneration" in S2 largely confirms my theory. You don't need the temporal cold war.

* I'd also eliminate the Xindi metaphor for the invasion of Iraq in S3.

It was a wet-dream testimonial to the failed policies of ex-president George W. Bush, who failed to find his precious WMDs in Iraq. It should not be glorified in ST. There was nothing "earth-threatening" about Iraq's military potential (unlike the Xindi). That war was based on a lie. The Xindi plot seemed like an excuse to justify it. I hate S3 not just for failed storytelling, but on general principle.

* Make Archer a bit less of an a$$h@le.

Too often, he comes off as blustery, smug and hostile; he's George W. Bush when he should be Jacques Cousteau.

As for some of the other suggestions:

3 - No antimatter, no dilithium. Again, stop spoon-feeding us twenty-fourth century Trek. Give us a reasonable extrapolation of current technology - let's see a fusion reactor in engineering instead of a generic twenty-fourth century warp core.

Sorry, but this just wouldn't work.

Fusion power could NOT generate anywhere near enough power to warp spacetime. Neither could antimatter really, but it's more serviceable than fusion power (that would be as bad as ST09's brewery-engine room with water turbines). Besides, Zefram Cochrane used those same principles of matter/antimatter for his warp ship (the nacelles of the Phoenix work the same as later ships); why would the NX-01 (which is 100 years hence) be less advanced? As for dilithium? Maybe it was 'discovered' in the 22nd century... who knows?

Real weapons. Swap the phasers (sorry, "phase cannons/pistols", what a lame name) for rail guns and bullets and the photon(ic) torpedoes for better versions of the missiles they had in seasons one and two. Specify their composition, whether conventional explosive or nuclear, but no technobabble. Make us believe that there is some ways to go get.

Bullets and gatling guns in space would be a VERY, VERY, VERY bad idea for multiple reasons (contrary to new BSG, one of my favorite shows).

For one thing, any live projectile launched towards a target that misses would continue at that same lethal speed (!) until acted upon by another force. One good firefight and you'd utterly pollute a region of space with a sky full of deadly live projectiles (your ship would be a menace to interstellar navigation). The NX-01 could (and should) still have energy weapons, but how about the laser cannons we see in "The Cage" (like the one that was used to blast the Talosian entrance) or the hand units we see Pike and crew using?

5 - How about some continuity here and there? The ship gets beaten up enough, it would be nice to see that damage again next week. But that's an old complaint dating back to day one of Voyager...

On this I very much agree.

Especially since there are no starbases yet...

We only saw this premise used in S3 when the ship was in the expanse.

Overall, I think ENT is a decent show (I'm surprised how watchable it is when I play my S1 & 4 DVDs), certainly more self-consistent than VGR (and generally more entertaining), but there is also much wrong with it. With a few tweaks and alterations? I'd love to see the show come back as a Netflix subscription show (even though I'm not holding my breath on that one).

Edited by Sehlat Vie

gazomg   

this comment that it had the potential to be the best star trek series ever is totally wrong in my opinion.

If anything they were the most confined show in how they would do things.

DS9 and voyager had free rain almost with the gamma and delta quadrant, while enterprise had to work their stories into an already created timeline of events.

It may not have been the best show but it was a decent show in its own right, and this type of thread could be done for any of the tv series

DS9 and voyager had free rain almost with the gamma and delta quadrant, while enterprise had to work their stories into an already created timeline of events.

It may not have been the best show but it was a decent show in its own right, and this type of thread could be done for any of the tv series

It's one of the problems with prequels in general; you paint yourself into a corner. Your options for exploration and development are limited in that you can't (or rather shouldn't) do anything that wasn't seen in TOS; even though ENT blatantly violated this one a lot (which is why I'm more comfortable thinking of ENT as a side-pocket universe that sprang from the events of First Contact and is slowly 'mending' the fractured timeline into the eras of Kirk and eventually Picard).

But I think the potential was there for other things that we hadn't seen in ST.

The fact that this was the 'first' deep space crew was an exciting element of the show's bible that wasn't thoroughly exploited IMO. Just because it's a prequel doesn't necessarily mean that there aren't stories to tell; the 22nd century was a rather ill-defined one in the ST canon. There was sufficient 'wiggle room' to get a decent series out of it.

And yes, even though VGR also had 'free reign' of the Delta quadrant, it just got boring. It became TNG leftovers...

Of all the TOS spinoffs, I think DS9 was the most ambitious right out of the box; none of the other ST spinoffs were even remotely as bold or daring as this show attempted to be (and often succeeded). It's a shame that it wasn't better received; it spooked Paramount into creating more 'cookie cutter' starship-based shows.

ENT was a better show than VGR overall, but still not quite on a par with sibling ST spinoffs DS9 or TNG.

It really had its moments though...

Edited by Sehlat Vie

gazomg   

There is no hiding the fact of my niased opinion on DS9, I absolutely loved that show and agree with your points on that, The problem was DS9 made voyager look inferior when in fact voyager was a decent show in its own right but not as dark cutting and edgy.

I still believe Voyager was better than enterprise, and while you make a great point on how enterprise could have been better, it could have easier been a whole lot worse, the cancelation of the show also came when the show was doing its best work.

There is no hiding the fact of my niased opinion on DS9, I absolutely loved that show and agree with your points on that, The problem was DS9 made voyager look inferior when in fact voyager was a decent show in its own right but not as dark cutting and edgy.

I still believe Voyager was better than enterprise, and while you make a great point on how enterprise could have been better, it could have easier been a whole lot worse, the cancelation of the show also came when the show was doing its best work.

I agree; S4 was ENT's best.

If they only had a 5th season we could've seen (as was planned) Jeffrey Combs permanently joining the cast as Shran. That would've been great. The only downside is that he would've (effortlessly) overshadowed some of the already underutilized cast even more so. I am a HUGE fan of Combs; have been ever since I saw "Re-Animator" in a theatre about 28 years ago. Meeting him this year in Burbank was really neat, too.... :thumbup:

Another reason I loved DS9: Combs played multiple parts; Liquidator Brunt, the kinky Kira-lusting alien (can't remember his name) and of course, my personal favorite of his, the Weyoun clones.

Edited by Sehlat Vie

gazomg   

the alien was Tiron in the episode Meridian

He also played the part of penk ib Voyager in the episode Tsunkatse alongside the rock.

I also think Weyoun is one on the best charcater in all of trek, read once where he was described as being like a used car salesman , think it summed him up.

This typifies why ds9 was so great, the recurring cast had some of the best characters you could get, along with garak, dukat, martok, damar, gowron, etc

Basically, I would not have made it a prequel and I would not have tried to squeeze it into existing Trek canon without actually knowing every single nuance of it or at least some of the basics. The occasional mess is fine, all the other shows had it as well, but on this show it never seemed to be accidental somehow. I for one got a "we lack a fundamental respect for Trek canon" vibe from it, the same kind of vibe that I got from Nemesis. Which is why I like Enterprise and Nemesis about equally as much, meaning: Not at all. Also, it is a VERY bad idea to shoot a series in what, early 2000s when that series is supposed to be set before one that was shot in the 60s. It is inevitable that you'll be running into problems like the ones Imma mention below. It's a very bad idea, especially for Star Trek where you have a LOT of nitpicking fans like myself who are able to take apart every single episode if the mood is right.

One opinion that I keep hearing about ENT is that "it's a good sci-fi show, just not a good STAR TREK show". I guess this sums things up rather nicely.

But, anyways, let's assume that the show HAS to be the prequel that it is... let me see.

1) Get rid of that fugly Akiraprise. It not only looks ugly, it's also a blatant rip off of a 24th century starship (I've never understood the obsession with the Akira-class in the first place but hey, that might just be me). You can't expect people to believe your prequel to be set before TOS if you have a 24th century ship lookalike. The actual NX-01 should've been a bulky rock, similar to the Constitution-class, only even bulkier. If you look at the "evolution" of the Enterprises, you see that they get more streamlined in the process. The step from the sleek NX-01 to that bulk of a Constitution class makes no sense whatsoever in that regard. So, change the ship.

2) The interior. It looks more advanced than the Enterprise-D, ffs. The flat screens and the animations and whatnot. Bulky screens, similar to those they had on "The Cage" would be in order here to make things believable in any way. So, change the interior.

3) Get rid of basically everything else that is obviously based on 24th century design and base it more on TOS, because THAT is the show you should be leaning on, NOT TNG, DS9 or VOY. So, change the designs.

4) Use EPISODE PLOTS that the other series basically SCREAM at you. For example, tell a story about Berlinghoff Rasmussen, the guy from the 22nd century who captured that time capsule thing and claimed to be from the future while he actually was from the Enterprise-D's past. No more excuses like "we get to meet the Ferengi but we just won't say their name" - oh puh-lease. No episodes like that in general. If you want to show the 22nd century, show aliens from that era, and if you don't have enough, MAKE THEM UP and don't make them look like 24th century aliens either. (I do like that they focused on the Andorians somewhat, for example. They were painfully neglected in all the other Trek series.) Also, no more hideous CGI Gorns. Instead of "let's include fan favorite aliens like the Ferengi and the Borg even though they basically have no business being there because we want them there because RAAAATIIIINNNNGGGSSSS", do "let's actually lean on what was said in canon about the 22nd century" plots. So, change the premise of the show.

5) As said by others already, give T'Pol a uniform, Travis quite a few more lines, get rid off the decontamination room scenes (WTF?!), make Reed the gay character he was indeed supposed to be and make him less stereotypically English, oh dear indeed - and, most of all, give your crew actual PERSONALITIES. If the captain's dog is the only character with a real personality, you have a BIG problem on your hands. Also, no more animal cruelty. Porthos can't go for a walk most of the time, there are no holodecks yet. He basically sits in Archer's quarters all the time and eats cheese. Perfect environment for a dog. Like, no? So, change the characters.

6) "These Are The Voyages" never happened. Don't change that. Erase it.

7) Get rid of that dreadful temporal cold war stuff. No one wanted it, no one needed it. Don't change that either. Erase it, too.

Oops. I just realized that I would basically change the entire show... lol. I have to say ONE thing, though - I do like that they tried to rely on the old-fashioned "going where no one has gone before" thing again. I really missed that on DS9 and it was so poorly done on VOY, what with Janeway and her "morals", that I found it refreshing to see them return to the TOS and TNG premise of a show. The undertone was there, it's just that, unlike TOS or TNG, the rest of the show didn't live up to it. But it was nice to see it return to Trek. Also, Archer is kinda attractive, we may keep him.

2) The interior. It looks more advanced than the Enterprise-D, ffs. The flat screens and the animations and whatnot. Bulky screens, similar to those they had on "The Cage" would be in order here to make things believable in any way. So,change the interior.

I don't think you could make the NX-01 look more retro than "The Cage"; it would be laughed off screen. I think there had to be a compromise to make it remotely credible. Bear in mind, the show has to appeal to both a modern audience and the hardcore faithful. I think the interior of the NX-01 looks more clunky and claustrophobic than the cozy, warm 'luxury-hotel-in-space' interiors of the Enterprise D. The NX's metallic vibe and bolted on LED monitors (to me) make it look more like a few generations removed from the International Space Station.

lab_fwd_description_s405.jpgyyynx01corridorfu1.jpg

3) Get rid of basically everything else that is obviously based on 24th century design and base it more on TOS, because THAT is the show you should be leaning on, NOT TNG, DS9 or VOY. So, change the designs.

It should lean towards TOS, but not slavishly so; remember according to my pet theory which is correct by the way, this is an altered timeline... :P:laugh:

I don't think you could make the NX-01 look more retro than "The Cage"; it would be laughed off screen. I think there had to be a compromise to make it remotely credible. Bear in mind, the show has to appeal to both a modern audience and the hardcore faithful. I think the interior of the NX-01 looks more clunky and claustrophobic than the cozy, warm 'luxury-hotel-in-space' interiors of the Enterprise D. The NX's metallic vibe and bolted on LED monitors (to me) make it look more like a few generations removed from the International Space Station.

That's precisely why I said they should not have done a prequel in the first place - it's just hard to believe that they go from these flatscreens and LED monitors to the kind of interior we saw in "The Cage". It's like as if we were to go back from macbooks to the Commodore 64. It's just not plausible. Honestly, though - they made the Constitution-class interior look good in that mirror episode on ENT, so, they WERE able to re-create the 60s flair of TOS, so, why not do something similar for their show?

It should lean towards TOS, but not slavishly so; remember according to my pet theory which is correct by the way, this is an altered timeline... :P:laugh:

It might be a correct theory but strictly speaking it is only headcanon, nothing more, I doubt it is what was intended by the writers. :P So, my original reasoning still stands. :P By the time they actually had the sense to really lean towards TOS in season 4, it was too late and then it often seemed to much like fanboy service. It sure didn't salvage the show for me...

It might be a correct theory but strictly speaking it is only headcanon, nothing more, I doubt it is what was intended by the writers. :P

It's RIGHT, I tell you.... it's RIGHT!! :P:laugh:

mad-scientists-killer-tomatoes-o.gif

gazomg   

That's precisely why I said they should not have done a prequel in the first place - it's just hard to believe that they go from these flatscreens and LED monitors to the kind of interior we saw in "The Cage". It's like as if we were to go back from macbooks to the Commodore 64. It's just not plausible. Honestly, though - they made the Constitution-class interior look good in that mirror episode on ENT, so, they WERE able to re-create the 60s flair of TOS, so, why not do something similar for their show?

you are right but thats the fault of the original show for dating so badly, you surely cannot expect a show like enterprise at the time ir was made to be as naff as TOS.

You are spot on a prequel was always gonna be a disaster, and i expected that when i first watched the show, a few years after it came out.

I was expecting total rubbish but was better than I expected

you are right but thats the fault of the original show for dating so badly, you surely cannot expect a show like enterprise at the time ir was made to be as naff as TOS.

You are spot on a prequel was always gonna be a disaster, and i expected that when i first watched the show, a few years after it came out.

Looking past the obvious anachronisms of the setting (again; ALL explained away by my post-FC contamination head canon :P:laugh: ), I think my expectations were somewhere in the middle and it kind of met them (it was better at times, worse in others).

Nah, I'm not suggesting for them to film it the same way TOS was filmed or something. I simply would've liked more continuity between the interior and exterior ship designs. There is such an abrupt change from ENT to TOS that it's just not believable. It's not TOS' fault - it's more the fault of those who thought it might be a nice idea to do a prequel and to basically ignore TOS as a whole for three seasons, lol.

Nah, I'm not suggesting for them to film it the same way TOS was filmed or something. I simply would've liked more continuity between the interior and exterior ship designs. There is such an abrupt change from ENT to TOS that it's just not believable. It's not TOS' fault - it's more the fault of those who thought it might be a nice idea to do a prequel and to basically ignore TOS as a whole for three seasons, lol.

But the 4th season of ENT really started to get back on track (as a TOS prequel); there were quite a few episodes in that last year (esp. the Vulcan/Klingon arcs) that could've easily segued into the TOS universe (even if they look a bit bigger budget...).

Agreed. This is one of those things where I think you can't really do anything about. TOS simply looks way too primitive to have something...even more primitive behind it. They had to update it as best they could without stepping on the toes of TOS. TBH, I thought they did a good job with that.

Agreed. This is one of those things where I think you can't really do anything about. TOS simply looks way too primitive to have something...even more primitive behind it. They had to update it as best they could without stepping on the toes of TOS. TBH, I thought they did a good job with that.

I love TOS (still my favorite ST), but the technology is largely surpassed by our current century. NO ONE in the '60s foresaw the internet, or the extreme miniaturization of electronics (flatscreens, cell phones, etc). Hell, the computers in ST actually make tabulating noises, for chrissakes. You have to either divorce yourself from that and lose yourself in the stories (as I do), or you'll never get over it and the show will be of no use to you.

I agree with Mr. Picard that maybe a prequel wasn't the right way to go (the same could be said for Star Wars, in my book; or at least better prequels in that case).

Prequels are always a problem. You either paint yourself into a corner, or you pave over previous continuity and the fans hate you for it. With TOS ST looking so crude by modern standards (their Etch-a-Sketch 'padds' compared to the iPad; I rest my case....), such a clash of styles is unavoidable (unless of course, you subscribe to my head canon theory that ENT is a post-FC contaminated timeline trying to re-merge with TOS; Subscribe today! :laugh: ). Even the 'surprises' have to be mitigated, because you can't have anything that wasn't seen on the original. Again, they paint you into a corner. It's like reading the last page of a mystery novel first and then working backward; you can't have any 'revelations' that don't jibe with established precedents.

Edited by Sehlat Vie

I love TOS (still my favorite ST), but the technology is largely surpassed by our current century. NO ONE in the '60s foresaw the internet, or the extreme miniaturization of electronics (flatscreens, cell phones, etc). Hell, the computers in ST actually make tabulating noises, for chrissakes. You have to either divorce yourself from that and lose yourself in the stories (as I do), or you'll never get over it and the show will be of no use to you.

I agree with Mr. Picard that maybe a prequel wasn't the right way to go (the same could be said for Star Wars, in my book; or at least BETTER prequels in that case).

Prequels are ALWAYS a problem. You either paint yourself into a corner, or you pave over previous continuity and the fans hate you for it. With TOS ST looking so crude by modern standards (their Etch-a-Sketch 'padds' compared to the iPad; I rest my case....), such a clash of styles is unavoidable (unless of course, you subscribe to my head canon theory that ENT is a post-FC contaminated timeline trying to re-merge with TOS; Subscribe today! :laugh: ).

Honestly? My mode of watching Trek is just to ignore the inconsistencies of the TOS era. Like I'm willing to pretend that the TOS era looked more like Abramsverse (in terms of the technology ONLY) and just move on. Instead of trying to reconcile how ENT looks "more advanced" than TOS. As you pointed out, it simply isn't possible to reconcile the two. TOS had very primitive looking stuff (and understandably so since it's a show from the 60s). Hell, I think the TNG-era is primitive in a lot of ways for being the 24th century. By that period in time, we should have medical technology that greatly expands our life-spans and...tons of other stuff.

But yeah, a PT is hard to do. But what annoys me is exactly what you said - there was so much lore to build off of and the 22nd century was largely untouched. It is annoying that they could have screwed up ENT with the Akiraprise, and phase canons, etc. It really could have been done well much more than what we got.

gazomg   

totally agree

It does help if you think of THIS....

NX-01bridge.jpg

leading to THIS in a hundred years....

original_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpg

.... rather than THIS:

4657999119_1f71449032_z.jpg

Although, in TOS' defense, the two part mirror universe episodes of ENT ("In a Mirror Darkly") also made the case that the lack of detailing on the TOS Constitution class ships is also the result of them being that much MORE advanced rather than more primitive; a bit like how an iPod looks less outwardly complicated than a Sony Walkman from the '80s. I could almost buy that (if only the bulky-ass TOS computers didn't make that silly tabulating noise... :laugh: ).

USS_Defiant_(NCC-1764)_bridge.jpg

Edited by Sehlat Vie

As you pointed out, it simply isn't possible to reconcile the two.

I agree. For some folks it comes down to a decision - either ignore most of TOS or ignore most of ENT. I choose to ignore most of ENT because I love TOS so much. Others choose to ignore most of TOS because they like ENT better. Others resort to time line explanations. We all have our own ways of coming up with explanations, and I for one find it fascinating how many different ways there are of approaching this "problem". Trek fans are a creative bunch, after all.

As you pointed out, it simply isn't possible to reconcile the two.

I agree. For some folks it comes down to a decision - either ignore most of TOS or ignore most of ENT. I choose to ignore most of ENT because I love TOS so much. Others choose to ignore most of TOS because they like ENT better. Others resort to time line explanations. We all have our own ways of coming up with explanations, and I for one find it fascinating how many different ways there are of approaching this "problem". Trek fans are a creative bunch, after all.

I don't really ignore either TOS or ENT really (even though I love TOS far more than I do ENT). For me, it's just a matter of it not bothering me so much. I may kid about how some of TOS' tech is so ridiculously outdated (although it also 'inspired' a lot of our current tech to be honest), but at the end of the day ST is not about technology; it's about adventures with favorite characters. I can watch TOS and just ignore that the computers make loud tabulating noises or that our current phones are smaller and more efficient than the 'walkie talkie' communicators. These things really don't bother me too much. A good story (and even better characters) is always paramount.

Edited by Sehlat Vie