Sign in to follow this  
Sehlat Vie

Why TAS should not be so easily dismissed (and why it may even deserve a bit of love)...

270px-Yesteryear217_(2).jpg320x240.jpgStar%2BTrek%2B4.jpg

star-trek-the-animated-series-20061220095734558-000.jpgtas_title.jpg

Sehlat Vie here.

As my avatar of TAS' Sehlat (L'Chaya) indicates, I am a fan of The Animated ST series. I've always assumed that it was largely sentimental; I watched it in first run in the early '70s (along with evening reruns of TOS). To me, they were kind of one and the same. The live action shows were longer and a bit more grounded. TAS was shorter (by half!) but the stories and characters were really imaginative (if not the animation style itself). I remember also reading the "ST Logs" books by Alan Dean Foster, which were short story adaptations of TAS in book form. So, from an early age (about 7 or so) TAS was a beloved (if cheesy) part of my childhood that was quickly forgotten in the wake of the ST movies and TNG a decade or more later.

But is it really as 'bad' as its reputation would suggest? In a word, no ("I am therefore going anyway." -- Kirk STIII; sorry, I couldn't resist :P ).

This morning while slaving away in my kitchen (concocting one of my famous Sehlat Vie dishes), I was watching some TAS to pass the time. I watch an episode now and then, but this time I was binge-watching, and since they're only about 20-odd minutes long, it's really easy to just jump the credits and let the next ones play. I watched "The Infinite Vulcan" (written by Walter Koenig; the only cast member not brought back for TAS... he was replaced by the tripedal Lt. Arex), "The Magicks of Megas Tu", "Mudd's Passion", "Once Upon A Planet" (a sequel to TOS' Shore Leave) and "The Terratin Incident." A fair mix. Some good, some bad. But overall? If one is willing and able to look past the aforementioned cruddy, scuzzy, typically '70s animation style? There are good stories in there. It helps if you think of them as 'full cast recording' audio books rather than television. But this binge watching session also rekindled much of what I'd always loved about this series (and why, for my part, I consider them as canon as the movies or spinoffs, even if they contradict later canon; ST in ALL of its forms does that from time to time... you have to deal)

Reasons why TAS is a better ST than you might remember (or have heard):

* The secondary characters such as Sulu & Uhura get a LOT more to do.

Uhura pilots shuttles, joins landing parties, speaks to an alien computer on behalf of the human race (!), and even takes command of the ship (when the men of the ship are affected by the siren-song "Lorelei Signal"). She kicks major ass in this show. Nichelle Nichols sometimes even doubles as the computer (along with Majel Barrett; whose Nurse Chapel has a much expanded role as well). We see Sulu take a much more active role in landing parties as well. He gets more action in TAS than he did in all 6 TOS movies combined!

* The animation format (however limited) makes possible things that were just IMPOSSIBLE to do in live-action at the time.

We see an 'aqua-shuttle' go into the oceans of an alien world, planets of sentient plant life that both walk and fly (!), a giant version of Mr. Spock, a three-armed & tripedal navigator, and all manner of exotic backgrounds, giant sentient spaceships, as well as the ship losing gravitation (a trick that wouldn't be seen again till season one of ENT), etc. The crew in one episode wears 'life support belts' that allow them to beam down to airless moons and asteroids. With a bit more money (or if redone in CGI) these scenes and situations would've been great. Even as they are, they are majorly psychedelic. It's like TOS on acid sometimes. Also gives one a glimpse into '70s style and far-out funkiness without ever leaving the confines & safety of the 21st century ( :P ).

* Great stories that permeate their limited animation format.

"Yesteryear" is so good, that it was even used as Spock's backstory in ST09. The bullying scene is very similar to the one 7 year old Spock experiences in "Yesteryear". That episode even had Mark Lenard reprising his TOS role of Sarek. There was also "The Time Trap"; wherein the Enterprise is pulled into a 'starship graveyard' where they are forced to work with other races (including Kor, from "Errand of Mercy" and DS9) to escape, "Eye of the Beholder." where the crew are put in an alien zoo (run by giant sentient slugs) and the aforementioned "Ambergris Element"; where Spock and Kirk are turned into water breathing beings when their 'aquashuttle' submerges in an alien ocean (try THAT in live action).

* Many TOS writers contributed to the show as well, including Samuel Peeples ("Where No Man Has Gone Before"), DC Fontana, David Gerrold (who also writes "More Tribbles, More Troubles"; a sequel to TOS' Trouble With Tribbles), Stephen Kandel (TOS' Mudd episodes) and even Margaret Armen (TOS "The Paradise Syndrome").

* It's the closest ANY spinoff or movie has ever come to truly recapturing the style of TOS.

By using the same voice actors (except for Walter Koenig's Chekov), and many of the same writers (see: above paragraph), the show TRULY came closest to truly capturing the essence of TOS. It's also aided by the fact that it premiered only 3 years after TOS' cancellation (so it had less farther to look back for it's source inspiration). For me it's just ST in a half hour format, really. I used to watch it in tandem with TOS and they were not all-that dissimilar to me. This is not like TOS; it really is TOS....

* They invented the holodeck FIRST!

Take that, TNG. :P TAS was doing malfunctioning holodeck stories a full 14 years before the TNG ever broadcast. The episode was "The Practical Joker" wherein the ship's computer malfunctioned and starting playing pranks on the crew. The proto-holodeck was just called "the recreation room"; it has a transporter room-like control console (unlike the arch in TNG). And it too would malfunction with all the 'real' danger later seen in (all-too-many) TNG and VGR episodes...

* It revisited many popular ST places and characters.

We see the Shore Leave planet (which malfunctions after the caretaker dies), the Guardian of Forever (which is shown to be in use by Federation historians; a logical development), Harry Mudd, the tribbles, Klingons Kor & Koloth and even Mr. Kyle makes an 'appearance' (though he is now mustached and sounds like James Doohan). And surprisingly, the sequels are not just rehashes of the original stories either (Star Trek Into Darkness could've learned a thing or two from this one...).

* The Enterprise's first captain Robert April (and his wife, former CMO Dr. Sarah April) are introduced into ST canon.

They are even mentioned in the Star Trek Encyclopedia. So there! :thumbup:

So, for all the negative buzz you hear about TAS (and admittedly, much of it is true), these are just some of the reasons why I think any self-respecting TOS ST fan should open their minds (and hearts) a bit and give TAS a 2nd chance. Yes, it has choppy animation (a standard of the time; even seen in anime of the time as well), schlocky music (much of it generic cartoon music of the time), and it uses the SAME regular cast members over and over for 'guest' voices (a necessary evil to keep costs down), but for the reasons above (and more), it should not be so easily or readily dismissed.

There's gold in them thar hills.... even if a bit muddied. ;)

Edited by Sehlat Vie

Another TAS fan! I am a huge TOS fan and was immediately interested in TAS after I found TOS. I used to have a few VHS tapes of the show and loved them. I don't care how cheesy and lame people think it is, I love the animated series. Granted, I've only seen a few episodes, but I know I will like the rest of the series. It's TOS...animated. I think having the original cast helped attribute to my enjoyment of it. I know Walter Koenig wasn't in it, but I still liked the few episodes I had on tape.

I think I drew a TAS version of Weyoun once. It was ages ago, and I have no idea where to dig it out from. I wonder if I posted it in my old fan art thread on here...I'm going to have to see! I may edit this post. If not, I couldn't find the picture :P

Found it! It's the first picture. You won't have to scroll.

Edited by Mishi

Another TAS fan! I am a huge TOS fan and was immediately interested in TAS after I found TOS. I used to have a few VHS tapes of the show and loved them. I don't care how cheesy and lame people think it is, I love the animated series. Granted, I've only seen a few episodes, but I know I will like the rest of the series. It's TOS...animated. I think having the original cast helped attribute to my enjoyment of it. I know Walter Koenig wasn't in it, but I still liked the few episodes I had on tape.

I think I drew a TAS version of Weyoun once. It was ages ago, and I have no idea where to dig it out from. I wonder if I posted it in my old fan art thread on here...I'm going to have to see! I may edit this post. If not, I couldn't find the picture :P

Found it! It's the first picture. You won't have to scroll.

http://theomegasecto...ry/page__st__20

Cool. That is pretty much how he'd look in TAS. :thumbup:

And yes, as you can see from my avatar, I'm a HUGE TAS fan. Yes, it has many faults (bad animation/music and overuse of the same voice talent), but it seems those faults are the only things people talk about when discussing the show. They don't see any of the virtues of the show (which I've listed above). And bear in mind, for Saturday morning cartoons of the '70s? It was very sophisticated. One of those involved with the show (can't remember who exactly) said that in the ghetto of 1970s Saturday morning kid-vid, it was about as out of place as a Mercedes in a soap box derby. I agree very much. Some of those stories were wildly imaginative. Reading them as adapted stories via Alan Dean Foster's Star Trek Log books (minus the subpar animation/music), they read as well as live action ST.

I know it's been said here before, but TAS is another ST series I wouldn't mind getting a CGI special edition revamp. Maybe some TOS music cues, too. But otherwise? It had many of the same writers and most of the TOS cast (minus Chekov). It's Star Trek as far as I'm concerned. If the crappy Clone Wars counts as Star Wars 'canon'? Then I think (for me, at least) that TAS counts as ST canon.

tumblr_lnbv3dO7LM1qbwmdbo1_500.jpg << Damn right! :P

Most younger TOS fans don't even realize that TOS had an additional 22 stories! To them, I could imagine it must be like finding a lost photo album of some of their favorite family members....

Edited by Sehlat Vie

Another thing I enjoy about TAS is that, unlike many episodes of TNG, VGR & ENT, the stories (whatever their relative quality) were original, and very, very exotic. Very colorful, too. We just don't see that kind of unencumbered, out-of-the-box thinking in ST in a LOOOOONG time (maybe since S1 of TNG). Even the episodes that were sequels to TOS episodes always had different angles.

You forgot to mention Lt. M'Ress :P As far as I'm concerned TAS was part of Canon. If it weren't, I wouldn't have had a Caitian as a major character in one of my fan fics.

Truth be told, I've yet to see a good swathe of TAS. It's never on TV over here and my last trawl across Youtube didn't help me either. Yes some of the stories are a bit harebrained and idiotic IMO, but TOS was a mix of brilliance and the cringeworthy.

You forgot to mention Lt. M'Ress :P As far as I'm concerned TAS was part of Canon. If it weren't, I wouldn't have had a Caitian as a major character in one of my fan fics.

Truth be told, I've yet to see a good swathe of TAS. It's never on TV over here and my last trawl across Youtube didn't help me either. Yes some of the stories are a bit harebrained and idiotic IMO, but TOS was a mix of brilliance and the cringeworthy.

True.

I freely admit that there were episodes that were a bit ridiculous (as there were in TOS or even the first couple seasons of TNG), but in TAS, I think much of that was due to limitations in the format and the disadvantage of the actors not being able to record dialogue together. They often recorded their roles on separate days (and at times, it sounds that way as well). But if you read the stories instead of just hearing/seeing them (as I did in the Log books), they're very Star Trekkian. One wonders how they would be today if rendered in CGI and with snappier, more natural dialogue recording.

And yes, M'Ress was an interesting idea.

She also represents one of the advantages of TAS; the makers of the show could easily show more alien crew members as they were unrestrained by budget. The producers of STID claim that the two felinoids NuKirk bedded in STID were of the same species (Caitian) but it doesn't loo it to me (unless they shaved their entire bodies. There was a real Caitian seen in the Federation council in TVH and they were clearly more cat than human. BTW (for the uninitiated? M'Ress was also voiced by the late Majel Barrett; who sounded perpetually aroused when doing M'Ress' voice... :giggle: ).

MRess12A.pngCait.jpgcatgirls.jpg

And of course, there was also the three-breasted cat dancer in Star Trek V; who looked more Caitian, but not so sure about the three boobs (unless she was a mutant of some kind?).

Catwoman.jpg

Edited by Sehlat Vie

Hmmm... some of TAS is nice, but I can happily ignore most of it. Sensible episodes like Yesteryear I like a lot, it's probably the single episode of all 700+ (along with Amok Time I suppose) that does the most to establish Vulcan culture and society, with stories across all subsequent series making multiple references to facts established here.

However... are we really meant to believe that Romulan warships can be fooled by an inflatable (yes, you read that right) decoy of the Enterprise? Or, for that matter, that Starfleet are stupid enough to think they would be? Likewise, the centre of the galaxy is not a portal to a universe of magic (and nor is it the home of an evil god thing which can be reached in seven hours), stars do not decide to shrink starship crews just because they feel like it, and Spock could certainly not have a fifty-foot clone.

I'm basically happy with the parts that aren't stupid and/or deliberately pandering to children at the expense of decent storytelling. I have it on DVD after all so I can't dislike it that much...

True.

I freely admit that there were episodes that were a bit ridiculous (as there were in TOS or even the first couple seasons of TNG), but in TAS, I think much of that was due to limitations in the format and the disadvantage of the actors not being able to record dialogue together. They often recorded their roles on separate days (and at times, it sounds that way as well). But if you read the stories instead of just hearing/seeing them (as I did in the Log books), they're very Star Trekkian. One wonders how they would be today if rendered in CGI and with snappier, more natural dialogue recording.

And yes, M'Ress was an interesting idea.

She also represents one of the advantages of TAS; the makers of the show could easily show more alien crew members as they were unrestrained by budget. The producers of STID claim that the two felinoids NuKirk bedded in STID were of the same species (Caitian) but it doesn't loo it to me (unless they shaved their entire bodies. There was a real Caitian seen in the Federation council in TVH and they were clearly more cat than human. BTW (for the uninitiated? M'Ress was also voiced by the late Majel Barrett; who sounded perpetually aroused when doing M'Ress' voice... :giggle: ).

MRess12A.pngCait.jpgcatgirls.jpg

And of course, there was also the three-breasted cat dancer in Star Trek V; who looked more Caitian, but not so sure about the three boobs (unless she was a mutant of some kind?).

Catwoman.jpg

Definitely agree on the books for the episodes. Again, I've not read all of them, (I think I've got Logs 4-6) but to say compared to them, what we see on screen doesn't show you half of what's going on is an understatement, for me anyway.

As for that three breasted thing we see in TFF? Probably one of the least subtly aimed thing at teenage boys ever. "Eeeermagodddd!! An alien with three tits!!!!11!!!", followed by a lot of drooling and other things. Kinda reminds me of a conversation Lister and Rimmer had in an early Red Dwarf episode where they speculate on what's inside a mysterious coffin shaped pod that they brought aboard and weather or not it contained some six breasted alien. :giggle:

Definitely agree on the books for the episodes. Again, I've not read all of them, (I think I've got Logs 4-6) but to say compared to them, what we see on screen doesn't show you half of what's going on is an understatement, for me anyway.

As for that three breasted thing we see in TFF? Probably one of the least subtly aimed thing at teenage boys ever. "Eeeermagodddd!! An alien with three tits!!!!11!!!", followed by a lot of drooling and other things. Kinda reminds me of a conversation Lister and Rimmer had in an early Red Dwarf episode where they speculate on what's inside a mysterious coffin shaped pod that they brought aboard and weather or not it contained some six breasted alien. :giggle:

Hee hee.... :P

However... are we really meant to believe that Romulan warships can be fooled by an inflatable (yes, you read that right) decoy of the Enterprise?

In fairness, the episode was called "The Practical Joker"; it was basically a comedy episode... :P

(I still love "Kirk is a Jerk" BTW....).

Likewise, the centre of the galaxy is not a portal to a universe of magic (and nor is it the home of an evil god thing which can be reached in seven hours)

Neither is believable, but the latter is even worse... they spent $35 million making that turkey. :thumbdown:

And at least "Magicks..." had an intriguing idea and explanation for 'witches' (aka aliens) visiting colonial America. Also this was made at a time when witchcraft and 'ancient astronauts' were VERY popular; I'm sure if TOS had continued into the '70s, they would've done a similar story at some point. Clumsily made, I admit; but the kernel of a good story was in there somewhere...

stars do not decide to shrink starship crews just because they feel like it,

No more or less plausible than a comet causing rapid aging in my book... ;)

Spock could certainly not have a fifty-foot clone.

Yes, but wouldn't slash fic writers have a field day with that one... :laugh:

village-of-the-giants.jpg

Edited by Sehlat Vie

Thanks for posting this, Sehlat Vie! I haven't seen TAS, but I'm going to run right out and do so, based on your recommendation.

Thanks for posting this, Sehlat Vie! I haven't seen TAS, but I'm going to run right out and do so, based on your recommendation.

My pleasure (sincerely).

I've always been a bit of a crusader for this eccentric, unloved little corner of the ST universe. Overlook the issues described above, and watch with an open mind and I think you might enjoy it.

It is a bit surreal at times, but I truly feel every old time ST fan owes it to themselves to see this interesting supplement to the original series. It's TOS + 22 as far as I'm concerned... ;)

Sehlat Vie - I've never watched the Animated series. So it is hard for me to kind of weigh in for or against it. But I will say you argued your case brilliantly with that opening post.

Sehlat Vie - I've never watched the Animated series. So it is hard for me to kind of weigh in for or against it. But I will say you argued your case brilliantly with that opening post.

I'm humbled Founder.... :P

181.jpg?w=593

But I would advise watching all of TOS first; TAS references many events and characters from it. And please overlook the crappy animation/music; they are relics of almost ALL early '70s animation.

I watched the first episode last night, and you were right; it did feel like Star Trek. It was a bit simplistic, since they had 20 minutes instead of 50, and simplistic isn't usually something I like much, but it was definitely worth the 20 minutes it took to watch. It was better than "The Alternative Factor." :laugh: Actually, much of it felt more like Star Trek than the Abrams movies....

I'm not usually very observant when it comes to people's physical appearances, so I thought the fact that it was animation instead of live action wouldn't make that much difference to me. I was surprised at how much I missed Leonard Nimoy's face and the subtle expressions he did so well. Not saying that's a deal-breaker, just saying it was a bit surprising.

Anyway, thanks again for the recommendation, and I'll probably be working my way through this series.

I've been dipping into TAS recently - it's on Netflix. Like Sehlat Vie, I read all Alan Dean Foster's LOG books when I was a kid and have great memories of them. The primitive animation style and production overall doesn't hold up too well, but damn, I love the stories. I agree, it does feel just like an extension of TOS most of the time, if slightly clipped for brevity. It isn't all classic, not by a long shot, but when it's good, it's excellent; it does feel authentic and for that is enormously enjoyable.

This has been mentioned on another thread, but I do think it could get an enormous new lease of life were the soundtracks married to new animation. Maybe CGI, maybe not, but certainly something that took advantage of modern day production techniques that would supply greater "performances" from the characters while preserving the look of the TOS-era. So much could be done from the design point of view too (aliens, alien worlds and suchlike). I'm kind of surprised it hasn't happened yet, really.

I watched the first episode last night, and you were right; it did feel like Star Trek. It was a bit simplistic, since they had 20 minutes instead of 50, and simplistic isn't usually something I like much, but it was definitely worth the 20 minutes it took to watch. It was better than "The Alternative Factor." :laugh: Actually, much of it felt more like Star Trek than the Abrams movies....

I'm not usually very observant when it comes to people's physical appearances, so I thought the fact that it was animation instead of live action wouldn't make that much difference to me. I was surprised at how much I missed Leonard Nimoy's face and the subtle expressions he did so well. Not saying that's a deal-breaker, just saying it was a bit surprising.

Anyway, thanks again for the recommendation, and I'll probably be working my way through this series.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I too quickly get over the whole animated thing (limited as it is) and just think of them as lost TOS 'mini'-episodes. :thumbup:

In fact, two nights ago I watched "The Pirates of Orion" and thought that it would've made a great live-action episode.

I've been dipping into TAS recently - it's on Netflix. Like Sehlat Vie, I read all Alan Dean Foster's LOG books when I was a kid and have great memories of them. The primitive animation style and production overall doesn't hold up too well, but damn, I love the stories. I agree, it does feel just like an extension of TOS most of the time, if slightly clipped for brevity. It isn't all classic, not by a long shot, but when it's good, it's excellent; it does feel authentic and for that is enormously enjoyable.

This has been mentioned on another thread, but I do think it could get an enormous new lease of life were the soundtracks married to new animation. Maybe CGI, maybe not, but certainly something that took advantage of modern day production techniques that would supply greater "performances" from the characters while preserving the look of the TOS-era. So much could be done from the design point of view too (aliens, alien worlds and suchlike). I'm kind of surprised it hasn't happened yet, really.

I've long championed that idea as well. If it were redone in modern techniques, it might gain new fans. Certainly there might be some economic stimulus for CBS/Paramount to make it a nice new blu ray collectible for old-school fans such as myself.

A few weeks ago, I picked up a DVD copy of Troughton-era Doctor Who, "The Ice Warriors" and (like "The Invasion") it had a couple episodes rendered in animation because of missing video. The new animated video dovetailed so well with the live action footage that I didn't really have a problem with it. The animation (like TAS ST) was a bit limited, but then again, so was the live action in that instance (shot all on sound stages with a limited budget), so it worked out perfectly. I really enjoyed it!

Edited by Sehlat Vie

A few weeks ago, I picked up a DVD copy of Troughton-era Doctor Who, "The Ice Warriors" and (like "The Invasion") it had a couple episodes rendered in animation because of missing video. The new animated video dovetailed so well with the live action footage that I didn't really have a problem with it. The animation (like TAS ST) was a bit limited, but then again, so was the live action in that instance (shot all on sound stages with a limited budget), so it worked out perfectly. I really enjoyed it!

They've done some good work with those animations, most of all they've tried to keep faithful to the actual shots and scenes from the now seemingly lost originals. After fifty years and a lot of hope and searching, most Whovians are just glad someone's taken the time to piece together what was left and restore the stories.

They've done some good work with those animations, most of all they've tried to keep faithful to the actual shots and scenes from the now seemingly lost originals. After fifty years and a lot of hope and searching, most Whovians are just glad someone's taken the time to piece together what was left and restore the stories.

I'd even be OK with a new version of TAS ST being done in the DW-missing video style (with the same audio); it tells the story, and it's a bit more fluid than the Filmmation style of the 1970s.

I'd even be OK with a new version of TAS ST being done in the DW-missing video style (with the same audio); it tells the story, and it's a bit more fluid than the Filmmation style of the 1970s.

Yeah, doesn't have to be CGI - just something that is a little more, er, animated and basically, less primitive than what exists. The Ice Warriors works really well with those two animated episodes.

(OT - 'scuse me, can't help it: WEB OF FEAR! ENEMY OF THE WORLD!)

Yeah, doesn't have to be CGI - just something that is a little more, er, animated and basically, less primitive than what exists. The Ice Warriors works really well with those two animated episodes.

(OT - 'scuse me, can't help it: WEB OF FEAR! ENEMY OF THE WORLD!)

I heard they found those!! :thumbup:

I also heard that "The Tenth Planet" (the original Cybermen story) is coming soon.

And yes, even a remastered TAS done in the BBC's DW restoration style would be far more welcome. Of course, if they did that you'd have some fans crying that they didn't go far enough. This would be a very ambitious undertaking though; as there are 22 episodes to do over again. I doubt that CBS/Paramount considers it very cost-effective. Too bad; I'd buy it in a heartbeat. It might also ease the transition for newer fans who've never seen TAS, just as the remastered TOS made that series a bit more palatable to the post-Star Wars generation.

Edited by Sehlat Vie

Would you all be ok with TAS not having the voices of the original actors?

I wouldn't.

That's part of its strong continuity with TOS.

When I was a kid, I watched them at roughly the same time (TOS was already in syndication), so they were almost kind of interchangeable in a way. I'd hate to lose its strongest tie to TOS; the very reason why it always felt so 'connected' to its predecessor. The actors have always been the hearts & souls of both shows.

Someone on Youtube already attempted that very thing, and despite the accurate match (visually) to TAS (and decent story), it falls apart without the voice talent IMO.

Edit: I would be OK with a new animated series of Star Trek (with new CG visuals & new stories) being done with new actors, but at the very least they'd have to be close soundalikes. But as far as remastering original TAS? The original voices are essential.

Edited by Sehlat Vie

I would be OK with a new animated series of Star Trek (with new CG visuals & new stories) being done with new actors, but at the very least they'd have to be close soundalikes. But as far as remastering original TAS? The original voices are essential.

I, also, would be fine with new actors for NEW animated episodes, but I wouldn't want to see the original TAS episodes without the original actors' voice overs, especially since those voice overs already exist. Unlike Sehlat Vie, I wouldn't demand that new episodes be done with soundalikes; I think it's more important that new actors capture the essence of the characters' personalities than that their voices sound similar. Though I would miss Mr. Nimoy's velvet baritone. ;)

I have problems with the way the characters are portrayed in the reboot movies, but the mis-match in the voices is the least of my concerns, and that tells me that getting the personality right is way more important to me than a close voice match.

I would be OK with a new animated series of Star Trek (with new CG visuals & new stories) being done with new actors, but at the very least they'd have to be close soundalikes. But as far as remastering original TAS? The original voices are essential.

I, also, would be fine with new actors for NEW animated episodes, but I wouldn't want to see the original TAS episodes without the original actors' voice overs, especially since those voice overs already exist. Unlike Sehlat Vie, I wouldn't demand that new episodes be done with soundalikes; I think it's more important that new actors capture the essence of the characters' personalities than that their voices sound similar. Though I would miss Mr. Nimoy's velvet baritone. ;)

I have problems with the way the characters are portrayed in the reboot movies, but the mis-match in the voices is the least of my concerns, and that tells me that getting the personality right is way more important to me than a close voice match.

No, I think you might have misunderstood me. :(

I didn't mean that I would want to replace the TAS voice tracks (never!), but if they were doing an all NEW series of Star Trek set in the TOS era or the alternate universe, then it might be a good idea to hire new voice talent (Nimoy sounds much older than he did in 1973, sadly). But if they were simply remastering TAS? Then keep the same tracks! That's one of the hallmarks of the show; one of the reasons it flows so well with TOS.... :thumbup:

Edited by Sehlat Vie

No, I think you might have misunderstood me. :(

No, I didn't; you misunderstood me. ;) But that's okay; we're in agreement so often that a little misunderstanding is actually almost fun. :laugh:

I was agreeing with you that the original voices in the existing episodes of TAS should NOT be changed; our only area of difference was that I thought that if new episodes were made, it was more important to get the personalities to match, whereas you focused on matching the voices.

Clear now? :TOScomm:

Edited by Corylea

Sign in to follow this