Mr.Picard

Mr.Picard's Jean-Luc Picard Collection, Y'All.

735 posts in this topic

WTF???? :ohmy: In all these years I never thought you were that obsessed with the man.

I sense a bit of criticism there, so, I feel it necessary to elaborate. First of all, I was barely even 20 when I fell in love with Jean-Luc (it was February 2003, I turned 20 in April in that same year). It was a horrible time in my life at that moment, I don't want to go into details, but there were a LOT of problems in my home and in my daily life AND also with a relationship that I had. And then there suddenly was this starship captain who pulled me out of it by simply being there through this TV show and the wonderful episodes.

Back then, my room was my sanctuary from all that was evil, and Evil was close in form of a family member who was there every day, hating me just because I was THERE and also VERY much enjoying to let me know this in every possible way. I kept my room locked at all times when that family member was present, and it was a wise thing for me to do. So, that room was my sanctuary, and I wanted my sanctuary to be something that I liked being in and to look like something that would shield me from what was lurking outside. So, my original plan was to put up a few pictures that formed a heart, directly above the DVD shelf. You still notice that, around the bigger "Generations" poster above the DVDs, the pictures are arranged in a slightly irregular pattern. That's where I started and, like I said, it was supposed to be a heart. However, things kinda got out of hand and I kept adding this pic and that pic and this pic and that pic, back then I didn't care as much to differentiate between actor and role like I do today, I just kept adding pictures because it gave me something to focus on and it made me happy, and back then not many things made me happy, in fact, only that face did, and that's how the wall came to be. I was and still am proud of it, because it essentially helped me through a rather dark chapter in my life and I would do the same thing all over again. I do agree that such a wall can appear to be scary (hence my using it as an example for the term) but the backstory behind it is a much more serious one than just "being obsessed". I took the pictures down myself after a few years, by the way. They were no longer looking so good and I also felt the need for a change, but, most of all, it was because that family member was no longer there. It was a heartbreaking thing to do to take the pictures down but in the end it was the correct decision. (And besides, I suddenly had the necessary space for posters.)

tl;dr: It's easy to judge and point at folks for being "obsessed", but let's keep in mind that things are often much more than they appear to be at first glance.

The Wall! I remember when you had it! I think it was an awesome wall. I never knew there was a door though...LOL! When I was in the AF, I'd cover my walls in big posters. I had some interesting combinations up there at times, like when I had a bunch of Metallica and Backstreet Boys posters up--at the same time.

If I had more money, I'd have a lot more Walter Koenig/Bester/Chekov stuff.

Yes, the wall... ah, those days. Yes there was a door - I also had a whip on the door handle, haha. (It's not on the pic, I took it away before I took the pic, I don't know why, haha.)

I used to have Take That posters all over my room when I was younger, yes... somehow the idea of a room without posters doesn't appeal to me.

As a teenager, I had all kinds of girly pictures hanging on the walls in my room, no big deal. We all have (or had) our obsessions. I think Mr Picard's wall is awesome! :thumbup:

I mean, I look at my collection of toys, starships and books that I still have, and I have to remember that I AM A 46 YEAR OLD MAN and yet there are parts of my house that looks like a rich 11 year old lives here (ditto my wife; she collects anime, manga, comic books and toys as well... we were the right people for each other I guess). :laugh:

Thank you, mon ami. I'm glad you like the wall. :)

I'm a 30 year old man and I have the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on my shelf (In fact, I got these figures for my 30th birthday this year, I had already had Donatello, my favorite, but the others I got as gifts). And Luigi. Lots of Luigi. I don't think age should act as some kind of barrier in a "you have reached this age now you are no longer allowed to collect things" way. There are grandmas who collect teddy bears, there are grandpas who collect stamps, there are 50 year olds who have their homes in the colors of their favorite soccer team, there are 20 year olds who have all the Pokémon figures in existence, there are 30 year olds who have My Little Pony all over their place... collecting stuff and being a fan of stuff is present in ALL age groups, and I refuse to let my age dictate my fannish needs just because society thinks it's "weird".

Speaking of fannish needs... another of my Enterprise-E model ships:

Coll-1_zpse54ebb8d.png

This one's not as detailed as the BANDAI one. (I still think the BANDAI model is the best in existence, THE DETAILS.) But this one comes with a gimmick - it has Jean-Luc's voice when you push the bridge, haha. (That's why I had to buy it, I wouldn't have bothered with it otherwise I think.) It still looks nice at first glance but if you put it next to the BANDAI model it really loses big time. On the plus side, it's not as breakable because it's almost a one-piece model (I think you can take off the warp nacelles but I'm not sure and I won't try lol).

The Wall! I remember when you had it! I think it was an awesome wall. I never knew there was a door though...LOL! When I was in the AF, I'd cover my walls in big posters. I had some interesting combinations up there at times, like when I had a bunch of Metallica and Backstreet Boys posters up--at the same time.

If I had more money, I'd have a lot more Walter Koenig/Bester/Chekov stuff.

Yes, the wall... ah, those days. Yes there was a door - I also had a whip on the door handle, haha. (It's not on the pic, I took it away before I took the pic, I don't know why, haha.)

I used to have Take That posters all over my room when I was younger, yes... somehow the idea of a room without posters doesn't appeal to me.

As a teenager, I had all kinds of girly pictures hanging on the walls in my room, no big deal. We all have (or had) our obsessions. I think Mr Picard's wall is awesome! :thumbup:

I mean, I look at my collection of toys, starships and books that I still have, and I have to remember that I AM A 46 YEAR OLD MAN and yet there are parts of my house that looks like a rich 11 year old lives here (ditto my wife; she collects anime, manga, comic books and toys as well... we were the right people for each other I guess). :laugh:

Thank you, mon ami. I'm glad you like the wall. :)

I'm a 30 year old man and I have the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on my shelf (In fact, I got these figures for my 30th birthday this year, I had already had Donatello, my favorite, but the others I got as gifts). And Luigi. Lots of Luigi. I don't think age should act as some kind of barrier in a "you have reached this age now you are no longer allowed to collect things" way. There are grandmas who collect teddy bears, there are grandpas who collect stamps, there are 50 year olds who have their homes in the colors of their favorite soccer team, there are 20 year olds who have all the Pokémon figures in existence, there are 30 year olds who have My Little Pony all over their place... collecting stuff and being a fan of stuff is present in ALL age groups, and I refuse to let my age dictate my fannish needs just because society thinks it's "weird".

I am a 33 year old with Star Trek and Babylon 5 action figures. I also modify barbies and kins into Sci-fi characters XD. I also have a lot of cosplay dresses. I will never grow out of "dressing up."

There isn't any difference between us and a 30 year old who has his/her room decked out in their favorite football team.

Love the latest ship, Mr. P!

I am a 33 year old with Star Trek and Babylon 5 action figures. I also modify barbies and kins into Sci-fi characters XD. I also have a lot of cosplay dresses. I will never grow out of "dressing up."

There isn't any difference between us and a 30 year old who has his/her room decked out in their favorite football team.

Love the latest ship, Mr. P!

Thank you, Mish! :) And yes, I agree. For some reason sports fans aren't as frowned upon as we "nerds and geeks" are. I noticed that, too. It's alright to be an obsessed soccer fan but not to be an obsessed TNG fan. I fail to see the logic there.

It's ridiculous because I know that (with the NFL at least), there are football statues and "busts" that people collect. To me those are essentially the same thing as action figures. You may not be able to pose them as much as you can pose a regular action figure, but the concept of collecting them and displaying them is similar. There is also the fact that they sell jerseys and nearly everything to make it possible for fans to "cosplay" or deck themselves up in their favorite team.

I love the NFL, by the way, so I'm not knocking them. I'm just knocking society's double standards with fandoms. Following a sport is a fandom, after all.

It's ridiculous because I know that (with the NFL at least), there are football statues and "busts" that people collect. To me those are essentially the same thing as action figures. You may not be able to pose them as much as you can pose a regular action figure, but the concept of collecting them and displaying them is similar. There is also the fact that they sell jerseys and nearly everything to make it possible for fans to "cosplay" or deck themselves up in their favorite team.

I love the NFL, by the way, so I'm not knocking them. I'm just knocking society's double standards with fandoms. Following a sport is a fandom, after all.

I'm a huge soccer fan myself, so, I know all about what it's like to have both sides of the coin. If I say I'm a huge soccer fan and I support my favorite team, I get all sorts of appreciative nods, if I say I'm a huge Star Trek: TNG fan I either get blank stares OR people ask me "really? with dressing up weirdly and all?".

Over here you can pretty much have your entire house decorated in stuff that has your favorite team's emblem on it. There are baby jumpers, bathrobes, toothbrushes, EVERYTHING. I get the Bayern Munich fan catalogue twice a year (it's because I ordered some Arjen Robben stuff from there a few times, I hate Bayern Munich but I really have a crush on Arjen Robben) and everytime I get it and look through it I am simply AMAZED at how they literally offer EVERYTHING in there that comes with the Bayern Munich emblem.

Speaking of busts...

Coll-6_zps512c317a.png

The bust I got because it (unlike another bust that they sell, I'd never get that one) actually looks a bit like Jean-Luc. I'm very picky on that one, there are action figures and busts that look NOTHING like him. A really big pet peeve that I have is his eye color. HIS EYES ARE GRAY-GREEN. NOT HAZEL, NOT BLUE. People can't seem to get that one right and there are some action figures that reflect that. (There's a Locutus bust with brown eyes, for example. I saw one at the infamous convention I went to and I gave the seller hell about it but he was all like "huh what does it matter". *facepalm*)

Then there's my two little Locutus action figures (no, they're not exactly the same, okay, it IS the same figure but it came with two "arm options", one of them has a Borg arm and the other has a human arm with the hand in a glove, one of them I bought myself, the other was a gift) and my favorite picture of Jean-Luc EVER. I got that one at the infamous convention, too, I had never seen it anywhere before. He looks so wonderful on it even though it's a NEMESIS promo pic, haha.

It's easy to judge and point at folks for being "obsessed", but let's keep in mind that things are often much more than they appear to be at first glance.

Truer words were never posted... ;)

No kidding! Yet it's 'OK' for grown men (some older than ME) to go paint themselves in team colors (how is this NOT cosplay, BTW?), put on giant foam fingers and yell/root for men less than half their ages to play a game that they're too old to play themselves..... :dontgetit:

Oh, yeah; that's MUCH more grown up and sophisticated than imagining a better future for humanity where people are treated equally as they explore the universe together.... :giggle:

Me neither. I watch sometimes too (and yes, I've hosted Superbowl parties in my time), but I'm already OPEN to the idea of fandom; I will admit when I'm enjoying something and am not ashamed to do so. But a lot of these sports lovers just think it's OK to act like a d!ck to people who show interest in anything beyond the narrow range of men tackling each other on a field of grass to grab a elongated ball, make a touchdown and do silly dances afterward. Not saying all sports fans are jerks (I used to love hockey myself), but I hate when people get it in their heads that one form of slavish worship is acceptable but another (infinitely more benign) version is somehow NOT....

No kidding! Yet it's 'OK' for grown men (some older than ME) to go paint themselves in team colors (how is this NOT cosplay, BTW?), put on giant foam fingers and yell/root for men less than half their ages to play a game that they're too old to play themselves..... :dontgetit:

Oh, yeah; that's MUCH more grown up and sophisticated than imagining a better future for humanity where people are treated equally as they explore the universe together.... :giggle:

I guess it's because sports are "more socially accepted" than something as "weird" as the Trek fandom.

The reaction I get the most when I say that I like TNG is "isn't that the one with the robot and that hairy thing". I ALWAYS have to explain that this is Star TREK, not Star WARS. The next reaction THEN, if I'm REALLY lucky is "ah, the one with Kirk and the guy with the pointy ears". I then decline AGAIN and say "no, the one that came AFTER that series", which leaves people totally confused.

But if I say that I like a certain soccer team, everyone nods and NO one has EVER asked me "who?". It's more well-known and not seen as "obscure", and people are a lot more likely to tolerate fandoms they know about than fandoms they have never heard of or are only vaguely familiar with. That's why sports fandoms are generally accepted - because people are familiar with it and since there are SO many folks who dress up for games and you see this all the time on TV or elsewhere, no really thinks of it as odd.

I guess it's because sports are "more socially accepted" than something as "weird" as the Trek fandom.

The reaction I get the most when I say that I like TNG is "isn't that the one with the robot and that hairy thing". I ALWAYS have to explain that this is Star TREK, not Star WARS. The next reaction THEN, if I'm REALLY lucky is "ah, the one with Kirk and the guy with the pointy ears". I then decline AGAIN and say "no, the one that came AFTER that series", which leaves people totally confused.

But if I say that I like a certain soccer team, everyone nods and NO one has EVER asked me "who?". It's more well-known and not seen as "obscure", and people are a lot more likely to tolerate fandoms they know about than fandoms they have never heard of or are only vaguely familiar with. That's why sports fandoms are generally accepted - because people are familiar with it and since there are SO many folks who dress up for games and you see this all the time on TV or elsewhere, no really thinks of it as odd.

To me, it's all just different aspects of fanboying (or fangirling); no one form is more 'legitimate' than another....

I absolutely LOVE the Bandai model! I'm so jealous!

I absolutely LOVE the Bandai model! I'm so jealous!

Thanks rta-man! It's my favorite as well. There's no need to be jealous, though - it can't do everything that it's actually supposed to. I left out the whole "it can light up" thing. I didn't add the parts for that one when I put it together. My patience only goes SO far, lol.

Here is another part of my collection: Posters. I'm a big fan of posters and this is my "old TV & video games corner".

Coll-5_zps643f6e59.png

Great posters, monsieur Picard! :thumbup:

Thanks! It's damn hard to find them these days... most of them are gifts from fans who still had them from the old days in which TNG was still on air.

Your posters are very neat and organized. I nearly spit out my coffee when I saw the one on the far left, lol! It was very hard to not to laugh (in good cheer) XD. He looks awesome in the one on the far right with that hat!

I have no posters up at the new place. I'm still trying to find a spot to hang my CA flag. This place doesn't have the bar thingies above the mini blinds (those bar thingies are perfect places to hang flags).

Your posters are very neat and organized. I nearly spit out my coffee when I saw the one on the far left, lol! It was very hard to not to laugh (in good cheer) XD. He looks awesome in the one on the far right with that hat!

I have no posters up at the new place. I'm still trying to find a spot to hang my CA flag. This place doesn't have the bar thingies above the mini blinds (those bar thingies are perfect places to hang flags).

Yeah well I don't want THAT face ANYWHERE near me. That includes posters. I think the sticker looks much nicer than her face. :P Oh yes I make it a point to have organized posters. If there's ONE thing that can drive me INSANE it's a poster that looks slightly off! lol

SPEAKING OF FLAGS. This is one of my flags. What can I say, I'd be a proud Federation citizen, just like my husband.

Fl-1_zps2ba4dae4.png

And I agree, finding space for flags can be difficult. Unless you have the chance to hang it up outside, of course. ;)

Yeah well I don't want THAT face ANYWHERE near me. That includes posters. I think the sticker looks much nicer than her face.. ;)

Know that feeling all too well.

Yeah well I don't want THAT face ANYWHERE near me. That includes posters. I think the sticker looks much nicer than her face.. ;)

I guess we all have that ONE person that we just can't stand.

Oh, you can say that again.

Edited by Mackenzie Calhoun

Yep. My manager at McDonald's. Worst woman to have ever darkened this planet.

Another favorite item of mine:

Fl-3_zps1f04061d.png

My jacket with the STARFLEET COMMAND patch on it. Because, y'know, Starfleet.

That is awesome! I have a Psi Corps patch that came with one of my action figures. I want to sew it on something eventually, but I can never figure out what since I hate jackets (I'm going to have to get over that now that I live up north).

That is awesome! I have a Psi Corps patch that came with one of my action figures. I want to sew it on something eventually, but I can never figure out what since I hate jackets (I'm going to have to get over that now that I live up north).

I didn't have much of a choice, I simply showed my jackets to my grandmother and said "Pick the one that you think is best for sewing that patch on", lol. She did a really good job then.

Speaking of Starfleet Command... here's my second flag.

FL-2_zpsc2181286.png

Because, again, y'know... STARFLEET.

Thanks Sehlat! I think Jean-Luc would like them, too. ;)

Another favorite item of mine:

Fl-3_zps1f04061d.png

My jacket with the STARFLEET COMMAND patch on it. Because, y'know, Starfleet.

LOVE that patch! It goes perfect with your jacket.

LOVE that patch! It goes perfect with your jacket.

Thank you! Most people don't get what it's supposed to represent, so, all I get is blank stares most of the time, but hey, you never know, I might run into a Trekkie at SOME point, haha.

Another item from my collection - keychain hearts! (On the left, a new one, on the right, an old one.)

JustOneMind_zpsdefb2f03.png

Every year at the local XMas market there's a guy who makes these customized little hearts. I go there every winter and get my little heart with Jean-Luc on it. I have been doing this for about eight years now. The guy who makes them knows me by now and is like "omg it's you again, you are SO faithful, I hope he appreciates that" towards me. (And then I get the whole thing for a bit less than others because the man likes faithful people.)