Mr.Picard

Mr.Picard's Jean-Luc Picard Collection, Y'All.

Okay, so I've decided to share a few items that I have that relate directly to Jean-Luc. I shall add to this on a semi-regular basis. Many of my things were gifts from fellow Trek fans who didn't need them anymore or thought I would have better use for them, so, origin stories are a bit of a problem sometimes. (Hint: If you have something JLP related that you no longer need...)

I'll start with two items that I like very much. The BANDAI Enterprise-E (I bought that one myself AND put it together myself, a rare thing for me to do, ordinarily I lack the patience for model ship things, I never bother with it, this was an exception because the parts came painted already, PAINTING is something I REALLY never bother with) and the tiny Stargazer (a gift, I think, I can't remember) next to it. I have no idea if this is what these two would actually look like if you put them next to each other, but then, I also don't really care. :P

Coll-3_zps58ab17d9.png

Isn't that Stargazer just cute? I wish there was a decent bigger Stargazer model that you DON'T have to put together AND paint. (Like I said, I lack the patience for this kind of thing.)

I've never even SEEN a Stargazer model in my travels, never mind one that doesn't require a bunch of assembly/painting. (Not that I mind doing that. I got a D-7 battlecruiser fr my birthday and put that together so I'm not completely out of that game yet :giggle: )

I recognise the model range though from the stand. I used to have a model of the USS Reliant which had that kind of stand some years ago until some nameless derp dropped it and smashed the rollbar to pieces. :(

As for the scale, it's not too far off. DITL.org reckons The Constellation class is 230 metres in length or thereabouts comparing things like it's bridge module to that of the Constitution (as they're the same) which makes it about a third of the length of the big E there. (I'm ignoring the size comp we see between it and the D on screen because it's always looked well off, just like how the Oberth and Excelsior models look oversized in other scenes)

I've never even SEEN a Stargazer model in my travels, never mind one that doesn't require a bunch of assembly/painting. (Not that I mind doing that. I got a D-7 battlecruiser fr my birthday and put that together so I'm not completely out of that game yet :giggle: )

I recognise the model range though from the stand. I used to have a model of the USS Reliant which had that kind of stand some years ago until some nameless derp dropped it and smashed the rollbar to pieces. :(

As for the scale, it's not too far off. DITL.org reckons The Constellation class is 230 metres in length or thereabouts comparing things like it's bridge module to that of the Constitution (as they're the same) which makes it about a third of the length of the big E there. (I'm ignoring the size comp we see between it and the D on screen because it's always looked well off, just like how the Oberth and Excelsior models look oversized in other scenes)

There is one but it's a) over 70 Euros, WTF and b) basically just a rather cheap-looking white-ish saucer section and the four warp nacelles in two parts. It looks hideous and it requires endless painting, too. (Colors not included, of course. Which means it would be even MORE expensive.) I ain't gonna spend that kind of money on something like that...

I actually had a feeling that the scale of these two ships that I have there isn't THAT far off but I was too shy to mention it because, well, I do make it a very big point to know all about the CAPTAIN of these two ships but the ships themselves are wonderful and whatnot but I can't actually tell you all the specs and I didn't want to sound dumb, lol... model ships are not even a HOBBY of mine, after all. It's just these two ships because of Jean-Luc. I love the way they look and the Enterprise-E is the ship of my dreams, yes, but the REAL importance lies in her CAPTAIN.

Speaking of the captain... here's another part of my collection: One of my cardboard cutouts along with a promo pic poster from the movie that doesn't exist. I got both these items at that con in 2004 to which I went just because of Sir Patrick. Everyone knows how much I love Jean-Luc in his white dress uniform, so, I just HAD to have that poster, no matter which movie it comes from.

Coll-4_zpsb8290c29.png

The thing about that cardboard cutout is that it's WAY too big. I have no idea why they claim these things are life-sized - Jean-Luc is DEFINITELY not that tall.

Mishi   

I look forward to seeing your Picard collection posts!

I tried modeling once and realized that it wasn't for me. As much as I liked the Klingon ship, I hated putting it together, and I hated the fact that it had to be painted. I just want the toy, lol!

One of my friends (during my teenage years) had a "life size" cardboard Geordi. She set him up in her room so that he stared at you when you walked in.

Modeling isn't for me either, for the same reasons. I just want the ship Jean-Luc commands and gaze lovingly at it and imagine he's in there on the bridge, lol.

Haha my cardboard cutouts have been scaring folks for YEARS now. "OMG I thought there was someone standing there!"

Thanks Sehlat! Glad you like it so far!

I have a huge (and more than slightly scary) starship collection myself... but it's so nerdy in it's scope that I'm afraid to post it on my Flickr account; it might scare people. :P

I have a huge (and more than slightly scary) starship collection myself... but it's so nerdy in it's scope that I'm afraid to post it on my Flickr account; it might scare people. :P

Naaah. Scary is something like this:

Wall-1_zpsad1d027a.png

Not that this was EVER a wall in my room until a few years ago. Of course not.

Wall-1_zpsad1d027a.png

I feel MUCH better now... :P

There's a wall in there? ;)

There's even a DOOR in there, actually. :P

I had to look very carefully to find a hinge.... :P

So did everyone who found themselves trapped in my room. :P

Looking at your collection, my own compulsions seem pretty modest now. I think I've found my 'tribe.' :laugh:

Looking at your collection, my own compulsions seem pretty modest now. I think I've found my 'tribe.' :laugh:

I no longer have that room, though... so I guess one might say I've become a bit more tame, haha.

Here are a few tiny parts of my collection:

Coll-2_zps9fdee771.png

An Enterprise-E watch (it came in a box that said Star Trek: Voyager, LOL), a small JLP plate that I bought at the infamous convention AND a cute little Stargazer, I don't remember where I got that one from.

There is one but it's a) over 70 Euros, WTF and b) basically just a rather cheap-looking white-ish saucer section and the four warp nacelles in two parts. It looks hideous and it requires endless painting, too. (Colors not included, of course. Which means it would be even MORE expensive.) I ain't gonna spend that kind of money on something like that...

I actually had a feeling that the scale of these two ships that I have there isn't THAT far off but I was too shy to mention it because, well, I do make it a very big point to know all about the CAPTAIN of these two ships but the ships themselves are wonderful and whatnot but I can't actually tell you all the specs and I didn't want to sound dumb, lol... model ships are not even a HOBBY of mine, after all. It's just these two ships because of Jean-Luc. I love the way they look and the Enterprise-E is the ship of my dreams, yes, but the REAL importance lies in her CAPTAIN.

Speaking of the captain... here's another part of my collection: One of my cardboard cutouts along with a promo pic poster from the movie that doesn't exist. I got both these items at that con in 2004 to which I went just because of Sir Patrick. Everyone knows how much I love Jean-Luc in his white dress uniform, so, I just HAD to have that poster, no matter which movie it comes from.

Coll-4_zpsb8290c29.png

The thing about that cardboard cutout is that it's WAY too big. I have no idea why they claim these things are life-sized - Jean-Luc is DEFINITELY not that tall.

I've got a head for pointless stuff like ship stats and specs .... as if knowing the dimensions for the Enterprise is going to have any real world application :giggle:

I lobbed all my modelling paints and gear a few years back, so I was rather thankful the D-7 kit came in a colour just like the original model from TOS, so I just got lazy and got some felt tip pens to colour in the transparent bits like the nacelle grilles and stuff.

I've always wanted to get a model of the refit Enterprise, be it the original or the A, but the only kit I've run across was just short of £90 ... needless to say I said 'eff that'

I've got a head for pointless stuff like ship stats and specs .... as if knowing the dimensions for the Enterprise is going to have any real world application :giggle:

I have both the TNG technical manual and the Owner's manual to the USS Enterprise(s); NX-01 thru E. As if ANY information in those is useful to my life in any way..... :laugh:

I'm like Sergey Rozhenko, "I have all the specs and diagrams at home..." :P

I have both the TNG technical manual and the Owner's manual to the USS Enterprise(s); NX-01 thru E. As if ANY information in those is useful to my life in any way..... :laugh:

:giggle:

i suspect unlike Segey, I wouldn't be able to engineer my way out of a paper bag, never mind figure out how to keep a warp drive running.

i suspect unlike Segey, I wouldn't be able to engineer my way out of a paper bag, never mind figure out how to keep a warp drive running.

I don't even work on my car anymore.... it's my way of keeping my local mechanics employed. :laugh:

I don't even work on my car anymore.... it's my way of keeping my local mechanics employed. :laugh:

I'll do the basics on mine. That stems from the fact I've HAD to learn how to do all the basic crap on the motorscooter I bought last year for myself that loves to be a misfit and i can't afford to keep running to a mechanic to put it right. I even gave it a nickname. I called it You Bastard, in honour of a tempramental camel from Terry Pratchett's 'Pyramids' :giggle:

Wall-1_zpsad1d027a.png

WTF???? :ohmy: In all these years I never thought you were that obsessed with the man.

In all these years I never thought you were that obsessed with the man.

To quote the Operative in the movie Serenity, "It's love, in point of fact..." ;)

I'll do the basics on mine. That stems from the fact I've HAD to learn how to do all the basic crap on the motorscooter I bought last year for myself that loves to be a misfit and i can't afford to keep running to a mechanic to put it right. I even gave it a nickname. I called it You Bastard, in honour of a tempramental camel from Terry Pratchett's 'Pyramids' :giggle:

I used to work on my motorcycles, too; back when I owned them (over 15 years ago). Basic stuff, like oil changes, some parts replacements, etc. But I was hardly what I'd consider 'mechanical'; hell, these days I'm too lazy to wash my car in the driveway... I cake it to the car wash. Part of it is my crippling arthritis, but the other part is that I just don't want to.... :P

Edited by Sehlat Vie

Mishi   

The Wall! I remember when you had it! I think it was an awesome wall. I never knew there was a door though...LOL! When I was in the AF, I'd cover my walls in big posters. I had some interesting combinations up there at times, like when I had a bunch of Metallica and Backstreet Boys posters up--at the same time.

If I had more money, I'd have a lot more Walter Koenig/Bester/Chekov stuff.

The Wall! I remember when you had it! I think it was an awesome wall. I never knew there was a door though...LOL! When I was in the AF, I'd cover my walls in big posters. I had some interesting combinations up there at times, like when I had a bunch of Metallica and Backstreet Boys posters up--at the same time.

If I had more money, I'd have a lot more Walter Koenig/Bester/Chekov stuff.

As a teenager, I had all kinds of girly pictures hanging on the walls in my room, no big deal. We all have (or had) our obsessions. I think Mr Picard's wall is awesome! :thumbup:

I mean, I look at my collection of toys, starships and books that I still have, and I have to remember that I AM A 46 YEAR OLD MAN and yet there are parts of my house that looks like a rich 11 year old lives here (ditto my wife; she collects anime, manga, comic books and toys as well... we were the right people for each other I guess). :laugh: