Sign in to follow this  
The Founder

Favorite (EVIL) alternate character/crew/era?

Favorite Overall Trek Series/Movie  

206 members have voted

1. 1. What is your overall favorite Star Trek series?

• Star Trek: Enterprise
    • Star Trek: The Original Series
    • Star Trek: The Animated Series
    • Star Trek: The Next Generation
    • Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
    • Star Trek: Voyager
  2. 2. What is your overall favorite Star Trek movie?

• Star Trek - I: The Motion Picture
    • Star Trek - II: The Wrath of Khan
    • Star Trek - III: The Search for Spock
    • Star Trek - IV: The Voyage Home
    • Star Trek - V: The Final Frontier
    • Star Trek - VI: The Undiscovered Country
    • Star Trek - VII: Generations
    • Star Trek - VIII: First Contact
    • Star Trek - IX: Insurrection
    • Star Trek - X: Nemesis

So which of the evil alternate universes did you all like the best? TNG, sadly did not have one. I was going to include Yesterday's Enterprise but they weren't really all that evil. Just....more militaristic. So I've included all the evil alternates, not just from the Terran Empire though. :P

TOS

mirrormirrorhd0075.jpgmirrormirrorhd0427.jpg

The one that set the precedent. The "evil" Federation turned into a galactic empire that'd make Palpatine blush. Spock with a goatee? Ultimate in evil. Chekov's evil smile? Makes the members of the Beatles look like psychopaths! Definitely a great episode and I think the actors didn't overdo the evilness like the later spin offs did.

DS9

crossover_096.jpgshatteredmirror_144.jpg

Unfortunately, the dreaded Terran Empire fell and was replaced with yet another evil empire (this universe cannot catch a break!). Since the heroes were turned into rebellious under dogs, the good turned "evil" characters are mostly focused on the Alliance. Kira? A sexy narcissist so in love with her that I thought she was seconds from making out with her alternate self. The honorable Worf turned into a brutal warlord that is not above running to fight another day... While they definitely upped the evilness in terms of acting, I thought it was pretty fun. I especially enjoyed Odo as a slave overseer. I think THAT Odo would've loved the Dominion. :P

VOY

livingwitness_050.jpglivingwitness_085.jpg

Who could forget the memorable warship Voyager? While not a mirror universe addition, it was the closest thing to a Terran Empire in the 24th century. An evil Janeway (who could ever fathom such a person?) that delights in genocide. A smiling Tuvok? An android Doctor. A...Maori Chakotay??? I loved the Borg security force. The random Kazon officer. I'm going to knock a point off for Neelix being in a uniform. Again? Not funny or cute. It's like an alternate evil universe in Star Wars and Jar Jar Binks is one of Empress Leia's military governors. Ugh. All in all, a really cool alternate idea for VOY.

ENT

inamirrordarkly2_642.jpginamirrordarkly2_692.jpg

Now this was a great nod to TOS' Mirror, Mirror. The Terran Empire during a chaotic war against rebels who don't understand humanity is their better! While the acting is really hammed up in this, I enjoyed it. It's meant to be fun. Power hungry and paranoid Archer, who incidentally has a doberman. Cunning Hoshi Sato. Aspiring rebel hero T'Pol. Horny Trip. It's a perfect combo. Kudos to the clever way of injecting Tholians and Gorn without contradicting canon.

So out of all these awesome, evil versions of our heroes...which do you all like the best?

Edited by The Founder

Damn, that's a hard choice to make. I think DS9's contributions has to edge it for me. Worf leading Garek around by a chain and a collar appeals to me for some reason.

That said, In a Mirror Darkly was excellent, especially in how they tied everything in with the disappearance of the Defiant and the events of The Tholian Web.

Um.... is ST09's alternate reality included? Just curious.

I realize that it's not an opposite reality, just an altered one. Still, does it count?

Otherwise, it's kind of hard to pick a favorite. Though I have to admit, ENT's 4th season mirror universe two parter was a LOT of fun. I'd have to say ENT Terran Empire.

They even had an alternate THEME SONG and changed credits! Loved how it was also a sequel to TOS' "Tholian Web", a prequel to TOS' "Mirror Mirror" and oh yeah, did I mention that it was also a two parter? :thumbup:

Immediate 2nd place would be the DS9 version; but as much I love Kira I thought her mirror self was a bit too over-the-top crazy. Loved mirror Worf holding mirror Garak on a leash though; that was hilarious!

I realize that it's not an opposite reality, just an altered one. Still, does it count?

No, because it's not evil. Haha. I mean...some fans might say it is. :P But I was looking at our heroes turned bad in an alternate 'verse. It's why I had nothing really to include with TNG because it seems they never really tried it.

No, because it's not evil. Haha. I mean...some fans might say it is. :P But I was looking at our heroes turned bad in an alternate 'verse. It's why I had nothing really to include with TNG because it seems they never really tried it.

Ah, I get it now.

The founder is wise.... :thumbup:

I never liked the DS9 evil'verse. It just rubbed me wrong, especially since it had a worse time than usually keeping itself straight with what was happening in the Universe.

But, I'd have to say I loved the other evil alternatives. While one has to acknowledge the charms of "Mirror, Mirror" and how closely it resembled the reality of TOS, "In a Mirror, Darkly" in many ways capitalizes and builds on the success of that episode.

But, I have a special spot in my heart for the Warship Voyager and just how completely wrong they got that event in history.

Refresh my memory, please; which VGR was the warship Voyager in? I see the pics above, but it doesn't ring any bells (guess all that therapy and deliberate VGR memory suppression worked...). :P

Refresh my memory, please; which VGR was the warship Voyager in? I see the pics above, but it doesn't ring any bells (guess all that therapy and deliberate VGR memory suppression worked...). :P

"Living Witness". The Doctor gets reactivated after 700 years and is accused of helping to start a war for the dominate race on a planet.

"Living Witness". The Doctor gets reactivated after 700 years and is accused of helping to start a war for the dominate race on a planet.

Ah thanks...

Ah thanks...

It's one of my favorite episodes. Especially near the end, where race riots start because of the real story as told by the Doctor of the events. The Doctor wants to deactivate his programming to stop the riots, but the historian talks him out of it. "The truth is worth the risk" is basically what he says.

Long live the Terran Empire!!!! :P

The TOS one, that is. Which is the one I voted for, of course. ALTHOUGH I have to say, the first part of that mirror ENT episode is the ONLY one I can actually somewhat STAND. Same goes for Voyager's "Living Witness", it's the only episode in which Janeway has a clear way of doing things for a change. I like that Voyager crew they had and I wish they had used that one for the entire series. Who knows, it might even have become my favorite Trek series, haha.

As for DS9... I'll never forgive the writers for what they did to my beloved Terran Empire. I've ALWAYS, DESPERATELY wanted to see a canon Terran Empire's Evil Captain Picard with a goatee (I firmly believe that he, given his calm nature, would be even more terrifying and horrible than Mirror!Kirk because Mirror!Kirk is dangerous and loud, Mirror!Picard is dangerous and SNEAKY) and they RUINED that perfect chance for an even more sinister universe. Humph! I can write fan fic about it, of course, and I have, but still, I'd have loved to see something CANON in this matter.

So, my vote went to the Terran Empire as seen on TOS. All-time favorite. Refusing to acknowledge the DS9 conclusion. ;)

It's hard for me to pick. Funny enough, I know most people think I'd vote for DS9 but it isn't my favorite. I enjoyed a lot about it. Especially since it kind of poo-pooed over one of Kirk's shining "enlightening" moments. It also had some good character moments, but I do agree that it became inconsistent towards the end. The final mirror universe episode was also annoyingly ridiculous.

I also agree with Mr. Picard. It would have been cool to have seen a Terran Empire in the 24th century with an "evil" Picard.

While the warship Voyager was amusing - that's all it was to me. Just kind of "heh. heh." funny.

I love Mirror, Mirror because it was a cool idea but also slightly toned down. Funny enough, if any of the shows would have had hammy acting, it would have been TOS. But I find they're the most tame. Nimoy restrained himself from having Spock constantly smile and laugh in joy that he tortures. He clearly was trying to show that this was Spock but with a different upbringing.

But I'll give my vote to "In a Mirror Darkly" parts 1 and 2. Not only was it fun, but it also cleverly brought in the Defiant. Showed us an updated Tholian and a terribly updated CGI cartoon Gorn. Hoshi taking over the Empire at the end? Amazing. I would have loved to have seen another episode in season 5.

One thing I thought was confusing was if they had the Defiant in the 22nd century, why did they still use ships like that in the 23rd? You'd think that would have bumped them up a century. All in all, it was a good episode.

Edited by The Founder

Never watched TOS...never cared much for Enterprise (did see part of one of the Terran empire episodes)

The episode for Voyager was good but I enjoyed the DS9 mirror episodes more so I went for that.

Sign in to follow this