Sign in to follow this  
NeoSuperBlissey

Michael Ansara, "Kang," 1922-2013

At least he lived a good, long life.

Ansara played so many roles on TV when I was a kid; I remember seeing him on "I Dream Of Jeannie", "Outer Limits" (in the VERY memorable role of Quarlo in "Soldier") and so many others. It seems any time TV needed a vaguely Arabic or exotic looking man? He was the go-to guy. Hell of an actor, too. Kang was my favorite of the TOS Klingons And his 'honorable' Kang was sort of a template for Worf in TNG; up till we saw Kang, all the Klingons in TOS were slimy, nasty, dishonest, untrustworthy saboteurs with a bad attitude (more like TNG's early Ferengi in a way). But Ansara's Kang brought a regal dignity and a dimension to the Klingons that hadn't been seen up till that point.

Kang2268.jpg

RIP 'Kang'.

Edited by Sehlat Vie

RIP to a great actor. He was one of my favorite Klingons and I loved his DS9 episode. The three classic Klingons were fantastic.

I didn't know he played the voice of Mr. Freeze in the Batman cartoon series, that he was also on VOY, and he had married Barbara Eden. I also didn't know he was Syrian.

This man had an impressive resume of work on his IMDb page.

Great voice, great actor. Always sad to see one of the giants of Trek go. As corny as it is, hopefully Kang made it to Sto'Vo'Kor.

that he was also on VOY

Ansara appeared in the episode "Flashback," when he commanded one of the cruisers that confronted the Excelsior

"Mr. Sulu, I see they have finally given you the captaincy you deserve."

"Thank you, Kang."

"Do not let it end prematurely." - Kang and Sulu

.(copied from the "Flashback" page on Memory-Alpha)

RIP to a great actor. He was one of my favorite Klingons and I loved his DS9 episode. The three classic Klingons were fantastic.

I didn't know he played the voice of Mr. Freeze in the Batman cartoon series, that he was also on VOY, and he had married Barbara Eden. I also didn't know he was Syrian.

This man had an impressive resume of work on his IMDb page.

Great voice, great actor. Always sad to see one of the giants of Trek go. As corny as it is, hopefully Kang made it to Sto'Vo'Kor.

He was also Luaxanna Troi's fiance in a DS9 episode ("The Muse"); not one of the show's finer outings, but it was a chance to see him out of the Kang makeup (the Kang makeup in DS9 was the more 'modern' Klingon look; not the swarthy smooth-heads of TOS).

Edited by Sehlat Vie

He played a "Technomage" In Babylon 5 and was compelling in that role as well.

He had such a wonderful, commanding voice. I even loved him as "Kane" in the Buck Rogers TV show (even though he was usually at the receiving end of an Princess Ardala directed insult). Such a loss...

Yeah I've been looking over his work. He has done quite a lot!

I vaguely remember a Klingon being in that VOY episode, but I didn't realize it was the same one from TOS/DS9. That certainly explained why Sulu acted so chummy with him. Haha.

And I just realized, after looking it at up thanks to you all, that he was the technomage that spoke to Sheridan!

Frontier   

:(

I knew Ansara best as the voice of Mr. Freeze on the 1990s animated Batman series. This was before I ever got into Trek, of course.

Kang, Kor and Koloth are all gone now. :(

tumblr_min5snXtb21r2p3x5o8_r1_250.gif

:(

I knew Ansara best as the voice of Mr. Freeze on the 1990s animated Batman series. This was before I ever got into Trek, of course.

Kang, Kor and Koloth are all gone now. :(

tumblr_min5snXtb21r2p3x5o8_r1_250.gif

I hadn't thought of it that way. The three "Blood Oath" TOS Klingons are all gone.... very sad indeed. :(

Benedict   

Remember him as well for the Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea movie. Commanding presence and a decent gent. Sorely missed.

Remember him as well for the Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea movie. Commanding presence and a decent gent. Sorely missed.

I have that one on DVD; need to watch it again. He did a LOT of Irwin Allen stuff. He also guested on "Time Tunnel" (playing a silver alien invader), "Land of the Giants" and "Lost in Space" (as well as the VTTBOTS television series).