Sign in to follow this  
Zef'No

Shuttlecraft Galileo on display at NASA

Actually, the Soyuz capsule holds that record.

They've been flying (with only minor modifications) since 1967 (45 years) and with only 4 deaths (Vladmir Komarov in Soyuz 1 and the three man crew of Soyuz 11). The space shuttle has flown 31 years with 14 fatalities.

That's something that really irritated me about the latest season of The Big Bang Theory. These four super-geniuses with however many IQ points and working knowledges of the entire universe should never display such xenophobia as they do when discussing Soyuz. I'm not impressed by the direction Russia is heading in by any means, but surely they'd know that Soyuz is by far the safest and most reliable spacecraft ever built - rather than going "it must be shit because it's from Russia." Grrr.

Anyway. I remember years ago looking at a picture of the shuttle from TFF decaying and falling apart in the Paramount lot. I'm glad this one has escaped a similar fate!

I also wonder how much (if any) of the original wood or metal is still in there. Seems like they had to replace a hell of a lot...

I am so glad to see the Shuttlecraft Restored... I wonder what the inside looks like

I don't think they bothered making the insides 'screen ready'; after all, in TOS the Galileo interior was a separate set (hence its TARDIS-like size disparity from inside to outside). But yes, I'm glad to see the shuttle get some love. She inspired a lot of engineers and aerospace guys; in fact, there are a few designs (with private space companies such as Virgin Galactic and XCORPS) for single-stage to space craft (some are already in testing phases). This is another ST-innovation that may be closer to reality than others...

Edited by Sehlat Vie

I am so glad to see the Shuttlecraft Restored... I wonder what the inside looks like

I don't think they bothered making the insides 'screen ready'; after all, in TOS the Galileo interior was a separate set (hence its TARDIS-like size disparity from inside to outside). But yes, I'm glad to see the shuttle get some love. She inspired a lot of engineers and aerospace guys; in fact, there are a few designs (with private space companies such as Virgin Galactic and XCORPS) for single-stage to space craft (some are already in testing phases). This is another ST-innovation that may be closer to reality than others...

Quite true... it amazes me to see how much trek tech has become reality