Sign in to follow this  
Zef'No

What the TOS cast originally thought of TNG

I was actually wondering just WHEN the TOS folks made these comments. It isn't very clear whether they made them when TNG was announced or when it was already airing (which would be seriously ironic since Kelley is vocal about disliking it and he was in the pilot episode). Not that it makes much of a difference, but still.

One of the few times that being older than dirt comes in handy; as I recall most of the articles that I read (about the old cast dissing the new) were made not too long after the press release announcing TNG in 1986 (at which time, the TOS cast was still on a high from the then-record success of "The Voyage Home").

Later on, as the show aired, most of the TOS cast would just be diplomatic or coy by saying things like "I haven't seen their show yet, but I wish them well, etc. "

Except for Shatner, who continued to claim that he had never watched an episode and was not about to do so any time soon, lol.

Zef'No   
Takei got his on Voyager then if I remember correctly... *mutter* meh, he would've been better off with TNG *mutter*

Yeah, Voyager didn't really do anything with him, it could have been anyone in that role.

I for one would have LOVED to see Uhura on TNG.

Yeah. She was apparently asked to appear (briefly on a monitor) in the Sulu episode of Voyager too, but turned it down. From the looks of the sci-fi comedy "Unbelievable!!!", she's still going strong!

I actually met the actress (Jeanette Goldstein) at a convention in Pasadena, Ca. once. She was this sweet, short, freckled-faced redhead.

Did you spot her on the Enterprise-B in Generations? :thumbup:

Did you spot her on the Enterprise-B in Generations? :thumbup:

Yes! :thumbup:

And that's (more or less) how she looked when I met her in 2004; red-haired and freckled. Nothing but good to say about her; she was (is) a sweetheart.

Hearing a lot of what people are saying kind of shows me that history repeats itself. A lot of the complaints used against TNG were echoed and used (albeit altered) for Abrams' Trek.

Hearing a lot of what people are saying kind of shows me that history repeats itself. A lot of the complaints used against TNG were echoed and used (albeit altered) for Abrams' Trek.

And I heard them at the beginning of DS9's run, too; people said the idea of a space station instead of a starship was 'boldly going nowhere.'

First impressions aren't necessarily accurate ones.... ;)

I think that's because most people don't respond well to changes, myself included (but really, I already get nervous when my books aren't in accurate alphabetical order or when my pencils at work aren't arranged on my desk in a particular order, I'm not sure if I'm the one to talk here, lol).

Those fans who came into the Trek fandom because of Nu!Trek were raging about this on Tumblr for quite a while, and they still do from time to time. While they DID perceive the Trek fandom ITSELF as a welcoming fandom that likes new folks (which is true!), they found it utterly incomprehensible and also offensive how many of the "older" fans could/can have such a strong hate for Nu!Trek and tell them that it "isn't Star Trek". I, being one of the oldest Trek fans on Tumblr, tried to explain to them that it has ALWAYS been this way in the Trek fandom. It's nothing new.

People hated on TNG because they thought it would replace TOS, how DARE they. Then the TNG and TOS fans hated on DS9 because meh, space station, meh. Then the TOS, TNG and DS9 fans hated on Voyager because, meh, Voyager, been there, done that, got the t-shirt. And then EVERYONE hated on ENT because wtf, prequel, do not want, get out. (I do not exclude myself from the hating on Voyager and Enterprise.) There have ALWAYS been fights in the Trek fandom because Trekkies are a VERY passionate bunch of lovely people (for the most part, there ARE the occasional nutjobs) who take their Trek and its canon INCREDIBLY seriously. As a new fan, one either lives with this and tries to find a nice corner or one will be driven away sooner or later by the arguments that people are capable of starting. I came into the Trek fandom shortly after Nemesis had come out in theaters here in Europe (a little later than in the US if I remember correctly) and people were HAAAAAAATING on the movie and there I was, completely in love, with my "but Jean-Luc is cute in his white dress uniform, where is your problem with Nemesis" opinion that was, of course, based on the fact that I hadn't seen all of TNG yet AND that Jean-Luc had just completely blown me away and that I didn't think rationally. Nevertheless, my n00b opinion on Nemesis did NOT go down well, LOL.

And now, with Nu!Trek, the fandom is divided once again, only this time it's even worse because it isn't a new series we're talking about that CONTINUES Star Trek, it's an entirely new alternate movie UNIVERSE that REBOOTS Star Trek in a way that many old fans find... distasteful. (I am putting things mildly.) This whole fight IS one of the biggest the fandom has ever experienced, sure, BUT it is NOT the first... and it won't be the last.

The both of you are dead on right. But that kind of saddens me, to be honest. I often think that while the ignorant writers, the micro-managing producers, and sometimes in the past...Roddenberry hurt the franchise; the biggest pain to the franchise can at times be the fandom. They seem to be the worst enemy of Star Trek sometimes. Which is highly depressing.

Mr. Picard used a more...polite description of saying the fans are passionate about their Trek. (which you're not wrong about. I'm passionate about Trek too) But I call it close-minded to be honest. I talk to a friend of mine, another trekkie, about the idea of having a future Star Trek show (preferably in the Roddenberryverse and not Abramsverse). And while we'd love that, we both agree that it's doubtful it'll ever happen. Why? Because a segment of the fandom will hate it with intense fury and often times not even give it a chance because of their own preconceived prejudice towards it.

What actor, studios, producer, writer, etc would want to take that risk? Trek as a franchise has become highly volatile. Yes, Abrams' Trek makes a decent amount of money and has breathed some life into a franchise that had stagnated for years, but its still kind of...not well liked. And while I appreciate that people have differences of opinion and not everyone is going to love any new incarnation of Trek, it'd be nice for a little fan unity from time to time. Hell, even though I don't really like Abramsverse, I can kind of stomach the movies and see them for what they are. Mindless entertainment (and I do find it entertaining).

But it is a shame that there are fans who'd rather the franchise die than anything new, just like in those days. Certain TOS fans that thought Trek should simply end rather than continue without Kirk and co. I think what a nightmare that would have been. TNG/DS9/VOY/ENT did bring so much to the table in terms of expanding that universe, for better or worse. It also taught me so many lessons about morality, ethics, humanity, good, evil, etc. The idea of Trek just fading into a cultural icon from the 60s and nothing more is very disheartening. I can't imagine it. Most other sci-fi doesn't really take up the mantle that TOS forged. Some does....but...still...

It actually kind of makes me depress there is no Trek anymore on television. I think considering how crazy things still are out in the world, I could use a little clarity from Trek and a chunk of optimism.

Actually, this is a broader phenomenon in most long-running science fiction TV/movie franchise; the resistance to change (ironic for forward thinking, progressive scifi fans, no?).

I've seen it in ALL rungs of the Star Trek ladder, although I think my opinion is a bit different than some; I've always sampled first, hated later. And the only ST incarnation I've ever thoroughly hated was VGR really; and even it had some bright spots here and there. Hell, I even liked ST09 (although Into Darkness is another matter...). With the exception of VGR, I consider myself a fairly open-minded ST fan.

And of course, I also see this same resistance to change with Dr Who.

Every time a new doctor comes aboard there's ALWAYS resistance. Cries of "He'll NEVER be as good as so-and-so was..." blah, blah, blah. I've head it ever since 1981 when Peter Davison ("the pretty boy") replaced Tom Baker's beloved 4th Doctor. But I can almost guarantee you that by the end of the latest doctor's run? They'll all be shedding tears and saying how the next doctor will NEVER compare, yada, yada, yada...

So help me, the older I get? The more I just see repetitions of the same old patterns.... :P

Actually, this is a broader phenomenon in most long-running science fiction TV/movie franchise; the resistance to change (ironic for forward thinking, progressive scifi fans, no?).

I've seen it in ALL rungs of the Star Trek ladder, although I think my opinion is a bit different than some; I've always sampled first, hated later. And the only ST incarnation I've ever thoroughly hated was VGR really; and even it had some bright spots here and there. Hell, I even liked ST09 (although Into Darkness is another matter...). With the exception of VGR, I consider myself a fairly open-minded ST fan.

Every time a new doctor comes aboard there's ALWAYS resistance. Cries of "He'll NEVER be as good as so-and-so was..." blah, blah, blah. I've head it ever since 1981 when Peter Davison ("the pretty boy") replaced Tom Baker's beloved 4th Doctor. But I can almost guarantee you that by the end of the latest doctor's run? They'll all be shedding tears and saying how the next doctor will NEVER compare, yada, yada, yada...

So help me, the older I get? The more I just see repetitions of the same old patterns.... :P

Fair points that this is more of a sci-fi phenomena and not a Trek one. I mean, SW fans are pretty divided in terms of the prequel vs. original trilogy. BUT I will say they have displayed a bit more unity in that regard. When the PT was first coming out, it wasn't met with dread. Hatred ensued later on AFTER they saw it. :P

Fair points that this is more of a sci-fi phenomena and not a Trek one. I mean, SW fans are pretty divided in terms of the prequel vs. original trilogy. BUT I will say they have displayed a bit more unity in that regard. When the PT was first coming out, it wasn't met with dread. Hatred ensued later on AFTER they saw it. :P

As I always say; see it first, then hate it later.... :laugh:

Sign in to follow this