Sign in to follow this  
The Founder

Levar Burton and Brent Spiner meet (pseudo) real life

Why did I not know about this show? It seems pretty hilarious. These two guys are great together. It kind of had a nice Galaxy Quest feel to it.

I love this show. And thanks for letting me know that the new season is up! I keep forgetting to subscribe to the Youtube channel.....

It reminds me of some of the better Woody Allen movies of the '70s. And the first season was sooo perversely funny. Has that wonderfully self-deprecating vibe to it... :thumbup:

At least I'm not Brent Spiner.

:thumbup:

I love how throughout the entire series of "Fresh Hell" his fall from grace is never explained (so far anyway), but it's so horrible that not even those closest to him can forgive him. Too funny.... :laugh:

Haha I didn't even know this is existed. I hope he has more Trek alum on.

"That guy's got the foulest balls in show business."

"Take a look - it's in a book!"

Haha.

Haha.

You have to check out the episode where he does a children's birthday party in Spock makeup... it's hilarious!

I always feel like as if I'm the only person on this planet who doesn't find this series amusing in any way. I was actually looking forward to it, I remember Brent Spiner advertising it on Twitter and then he posted the link to the first episode and I watched it and sat there and was like "Is this supposed to be funny because it isn't". I then waited for and watched the second episode and it left me just as clueless as to what is so funny about it. I didn't laugh even once and so I stopped watching it. I did take a look at the episode with LeVar Burton when it was released but that one did nothing for me either. I dunno. It's just not my kind of humor, I guess.

One thing that I DO appreciate about these episodes, however, is that they're available for EVERYONE to see on Youtube. We over here have nothing that even comes CLOSE to Netflix or anything like it, and we often have to wait months or even years for the DVDs to appear, and even then we often have to import them from Amazon.com because European DVD releases are often WAY behind the US ones. (Unless you want to use illegal sources, of course, but that isn't my thing.) The best example for this is The Walking Dead, I still haven't seen season 3, it will be released on DVD in September in the UK (a German DVD release will take even longer, if they even DO one) and the trailer for season 4 was blocked on Youtube for anyone outside the US (someone was kind enough to upload it on Youtube for everyone to see but stuff like that always gets bah-leeted rather quickly), just as pretty much EVERY single Walking Dead trailer or promo tends to be. It is VERY frustrating sometimes and therefore I really do appreciate Brent Spiner's Youtube idea. Granted, Fresh Hell isn't as much of a blockbuster series as The Walking Dead, but still, it sets a rather nice "availability" example.

I always feel like as if I'm the only person on this planet who doesn't find this series amusing in any way. I was actually looking forward to it, I remember Brent Spiner advertising it on Twitter and then he posted the link to the first episode and I watched it and sat there and was like "Is this supposed to be funny because it isn't". I then waited for and watched the second episode and it left me just as clueless as to what is so funny about it. I didn't laugh even once and so I stopped watching it. I did take a look at the episode with LeVar Burton when it was released but that one did nothing for me either. I dunno. It's just not my kind of humor, I guess.

One thing that I DO appreciate about these episodes, however, is that they're available for EVERYONE to see on Youtube. We over here have nothing that even comes CLOSE to Netflix or anything like it, and we often have to wait months or even years for the DVDs to appear, and even then we often have to import them from Amazon.com because European DVD releases are often WAY behind the US ones. (Unless you want to use illegal sources, of course, but that isn't my thing.) The best example for this is The Walking Dead, I still haven't seen season 3, it will be released on DVD in September in the UK (a German DVD release will take even longer, if they even DO one) and the trailer for season 4 was blocked on Youtube for anyone outside the US (someone was kind enough to upload it on Youtube for everyone to see but stuff like that always gets bah-leeted rather quickly), just as pretty much EVERY single Walking Dead trailer or promo tends to be. It is VERY frustrating sometimes and therefore I really do appreciate Brent Spiner's Youtube idea. Granted, Fresh Hell isn't as much of a blockbuster series as The Walking Dead, but still, it sets a rather nice "availability" example.

It does indeed.

That's one of the things I love best about the internet; the democratization of entertainment. You want to make a movie or TV show? You no longer need an agent or big name talent or any of that; you make it on the cheap, shoot it yourself and post it on Youtube ASAP. It's also the same theory behind the Star Trek fan films (I'm a huge ST fan film nerd); they no longer make their fans wait so long for expensive DVDs or blu rays. All you need is a modem.

As for "Fresh Hell"? I think it's because I live in southern California and the entertainment industry is such a big deal here that I find it funny. And it has kind of the 'poor loser schmuck' quality of the older (funnier) Woody Allen movies (such as Annie Hall, Bananas or Manhattan). But I concede that not everyone finds them screamingly funny; I forwarded an episode to a friend of mine in Toronto and he hated it. As did my sister (who's lived in the midwest for the last decade).

So, different strokes.... :laugh:

I'm so glad to hear that there are others who don't find these episodes funny in any way. I wouldn't say I hate them, I simply don't really GET what's so FUNNY about them. It's just not my kind of humor. I dunno.

To be honest, I also think that SOME of Brent Spiner's more rabid fans find them funny simply because they find ANYTHING funny that Brent Spiner says or does - at least that's the impression I got, lol.

I'm so glad to hear that there are others who don't find these episodes funny in any way. I wouldn't say I hate them, I simply don't really GET what's so FUNNY about them. It's just not my kind of humor. I dunno.

To be honest, I also think that SOME of Brent Spiner's more rabid fans find them funny simply because they find ANYTHING funny that Brent Spiner says or does - at least that's the impression I got, lol.

I like Brent Spiner, but I'm not a particularly rabid fan of his. Yes, I got his autograph once, but that's because I have a collection of ST autographs, so it was more of a ST thing than a Brent Spiner thing. But "Fresh Hell" is just one of those things where the humor has an admittedly narrow appeal; people seem to love it or hate it (it's like every fourth or fifth person seems to like it... ).

Come to think of it, my own wife didn't find it funny either.... maybe I'm just weird. :P

Y'know, it might JUST be SO much like Brent Spiner to actually KNOW that it isn't funny to many people and to just produce it for the heck of it, just to see who's honest and tells him that it isn't funny, LOL. (It would be consistent with his Twitter habit of re-tweeting/answering only those who insult him in some way.)

Y'know, it might JUST be SO much like Brent Spiner to actually KNOW that it isn't funny to many people and to just produce it for the heck of it, just to see who's honest and tells him that it isn't funny, LOL. (It would be consistent with his Twitter habit of re-tweeting/answering only those who insult him in some way.)

Reminds me of a comedian here in the US back in the '80s named Andy Kaufman (he passed away many years ago). He started a weird, subgenre of comedy that was more like performance art meets confrontation. His goal was to basically provoke his audience; either make them laugh, angry, what-have-you. He would speak in an odd foreign accent (which he later made popular on a TV show called "Taxi") and pretend that was his real voice. He would get up in front of college audiences and read "The Great Gatsby" cover to cover (by the end, most of his audience either left or was asleep). There was also his stint in professional wrestling where he would only fight women, and deliberately allow himself to get beaten up. He enjoyed playing 'the villain' in his comedy. He thought that provoking ANY reaction out of his audience (hate, love, boredom, etc) was a good thing. In many ways, he was ahead of his time.

They made a movie about him in 1999 called "Man on the Moon" starring Jim Carrey (who did a good job as Kaufman).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LER9pt-hFLM

And the real thing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p0sr2BejUk

I think Brent Spiner may be riffing on some of that; especially the part about being a Hollywood pariah after the unnamed 'scandal.' Just a thought....

Haha.

You have to check out the episode where he does a children's birthday party in Spock makeup... it's hilarious!

Haha I just watched it! Pretty funny. Data dressed as Spock performing Shakespeare. I feel like I was incepted. :P

And for the record, I'm not a "rabid" fan of Spiner. It's funny because it is in the same vein of Curb Your Enthusiasm + Galaxy Quest. Which is hilarious but has more high-profile names. The idea of actors playing absurd parodies of themselves isn't new (Neil Patrick Harris and Larry David), but it is funny cause it shows that they have a sense of humor about themselves.

My only grievance is it's a bit short.

Sign in to follow this