Sign in to follow this  
Maltz

Alternate Worfs in Parallels

Maltz   

In the episode "Parallels", whenever Worf Prime got shunted into a different reality, was the version of himself he displaced also shifted into another timeline? And would these other Worfs have also gone on hopping from universe to universe each time they encountered a version of La Forge? In the scene where La Forge's visor is activated in sickbay and Worf is suddenly transplanted to a reality where he is first officer and Riker is captain, that universe's Data asks him if he's noticed another discontinuity, so it would seem that Worf Prime wasn't the only one being bounced across universes. Any further thoughts on the matter, people?

Zef'No   

Tricky thing.

First, I've got say that I have always loved this episode, definitely one of my favourites (out of all Trek series).

There are certainly some oddities in the story. At the end, Troi says something like If the plan works, "my Worf won't return". A line which has never made much sense to me, and I just put it down to her being stupid insufficiently aware of the intricacies of temporal mechanics.

Two obvious things to consider:

- We never saw two Worfs in the same universe together (excluding the climatic montage at the end)

- Worf didn't physically move from one reality to another because his clothing changed

Therefore, we can conclude that Worf's consciousness was what was actually shifting universes. Did he suppress the consciousness of the Worf native to that timeline? - Possibly, there's certainly room in the brain, but this seems unlikely. The most likely explanation is that Worf displaced the existing consciousness and forced that into another universe, possibly the one he has just come from (so they swapped).

The shifting process was a result of Geordi's VISOR having an effect on Worf after he passed through a temporal anomaly.

Since it's a good bet that these two things happened in many of the realities, it is safe to assume that all versions of Worf so affected would go through a similar thing.

However, in the last universe, where Worf is first officer (doesn't he look good?!), they specifically say that the version of Worf that was native to that universe did not encounter the temporal anomaly, and so he couldn't have shifted realities on his own.

I suspect Janeway's advice on the temporal prime directive comes to mind; it's less of a headache if you just ignore it!

Or just go with O'Brien "I hate temporal mechanics!"

This is the episode that essentially opened the door for ST09 (good or bad, that's one's personal taste).

I have to assume that when 'prime' Worf (sounds like an uncooked steak) returned to his universe, everything straightened out... otherwise, I'd go cross-eyed.

There are certainly some oddities in the story. At the end, Troi says something like If the plan works, "my Worf won't return". A line which has never made much sense to me, and I just put it down to her being stupid insufficiently aware of the intricacies of temporal mechanics.

In all reality (heehee, see what I did there) I have never liked that whole scene as well. Even people who understand the working of temporal mechanics either can't explain it, or get just as confused. But, I much rather prefer ST when it comes to time travel and alternative universes than I do Stargate. At least in ST they can accept somebody has gone through it. In the Stargate universe, they never are able to accept it if someone else has gone through it and not them. There's one particular incident in Atlantis that comes to mind. Colonel John Shepard ends up arriving in Atlantis 10,000 years in the future and he learns where one of the main characters has been stolen. He is able to go back in time and talks with the base commander, Samantha Carter. By this time, she has been through time and different universe several times but she all but dismisses his story out of hand for being "unlikely".

At least, even in ENT they eventually come to accept it can be.

I would have to say it was Troi thinking with her hormones and not her brain. All she could see was how it was going to affect her and she even goes on to say, (I'm paraphrasing) "You are saying that in some reality, you don't even love me?" It's all about her and her sexual life is all she's concerned for. Not Worf, even if he isn't her Worf.

That's all I can figure. She is a dumb broad (a very good looking dumb broad as I've always said ;) ) who all she can think of is herself.

Maltz   

Well, it can pretty much be said for sure that the version of Worf replaced by Prime Worf in the sickbay scene was also experiencing reality shifts. How could this be though, when only one version of Worf - the Prime one - encountered the anomaly via the shuttlecraft? The only explanation I can think of is that whenever Worf Prime displaced another Worf, then that Worf was in some way "contaminated", so when that Worf encountered a version of Geordi, he was also shunted into a parallel universe.

But what's with all those different Worfs appearing in the one shuttlecraft near the end?

Zef'No   
Well, it can pretty much be said for sure that the version of Worf replaced by Prime Worf in the sickbay scene was also experiencing reality shifts. How could this be though, when only one version of Worf - the Prime one - encountered the anomaly via the shuttlecraft?

We don't know that. As I said above, it is likely that many other Worf's also experienced shifts thanks to (near) identical sets of circumstances. Think about it, the first time Worf shifts, only trivial details change like his birthday cake. The Worf from that universe also encountered a temporal anomaly on return from his competition (which he may not have won) and was also affected by Geordi's VISOR.

We know that the physical Worf from the final reality didn't attend the tournament, so presumably didn't encounter the temporal anomaly. But his consciousness could have been displaced by another Worf (who did) prior to the arrival of "our" Worf during the scene in sickbay.

So, let's call the original "normal" version Worf A.

Let's call Worf B a version from another universe who was almost identical and also shifting realities.

And Worf C is the different Worf who was first officer on the Enterprise.

This is what happened:

The mind of Worf A goes into the body of Worf B.

The mind of Worf B goes into the body of Worf C who then tells Data that he is experiencing discontinuities.

The mind of Worf A then goes into the body of Worf C, whom Data then asks if he has experienced another discontinuity.

So, Worf C never shifted of his own accord, he was displaced each time by another Worf.

Maltz   

What about all the different Enterprises that were in the vicinity of the anomaly? Clearly whatever was going on with Worf was having much wider consequences, IMO. And if several different versions of Worf had encountered the anomaly, then why was just Worf Prime and his shuttle necessary to fix the damage?

Maltz   

Worf Prime shifts realities a total of six times (counting the incidents in his quarters with Data's painting changing position, and then becoming a different painting, and Troi's clothes altering). In the last four universes Worf Prime visits, the versions of himself he displaced also seemed to be experiencing the same thing he was, so they had also come from other, possibly unseen realities. This is what makes me think that every time Worf Prime came in close proximity to Geordi and was shunted across universes, whatever version of himself he replaced was not only thrown into another universe, but was also subject to involuntary hops across timelines whenever they ran into another version of Geordi. In effect, Worf Prime was the catalyst for a massive chain reaction, with multiple Worfs hopping realities all the time. Once a Worf was displaced, Geordi's visor would have the same effect on them as it did on Worf Prime.

What about all the different Enterprises that were in the vicinity of the anomaly? Clearly whatever was going on with Worf was having much wider consequences, IMO. And if several different versions of Worf had encountered the anomaly, then why was just Worf Prime and his shuttle necessary to fix the damage?

Because.... um, a wizard did it. :P

Why was it just enterprise's coming our of the amomly.. I mean wouldn't the surrounding stars and planets come thought as well. For that matter what if we got to a universe of anti matter...

Why was it just enterprise's coming our of the amomly.. I mean wouldn't the surrounding stars and planets come thought as well. For that matter what if we got to a universe of anti matter...

No, because it was a fissure only in that narrow area of space, so just those (relatively) small areas of space in the different universes overlapped...

Sign in to follow this