Virogen

Into Darkness Omega Sector Reviews and Ratings

Favorite Overall Trek Series/Movie   201 members have voted

1. 1. What is your overall favorite Star Trek series?

• Star Trek: Enterprise
    • Star Trek: The Original Series
    • Star Trek: The Animated Series
    • Star Trek: The Next Generation
    • Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
    • Star Trek: Voyager
  2. 2. What is your overall favorite Star Trek movie?

• Star Trek - I: The Motion Picture
    • Star Trek - II: The Wrath of Khan
    • Star Trek - III: The Search for Spock
    • Star Trek - IV: The Voyage Home
    • Star Trek - V: The Final Frontier
    • Star Trek - VI: The Undiscovered Country
    • Star Trek - VII: Generations
    • Star Trek - VIII: First Contact
    • Star Trek - IX: Insurrection
    • Star Trek - X: Nemesis

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

185 posts in this topic

Yes, thats true. There was always significant action in the TOS/TNG but do you think Spock in STID should have 'lost it' the way he did?

You mean when he screamed out "KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!" ? I'm not sure. Maybe. Honestly? I don't really know TOS much. There are tons of TOS fans here who could vouch for how Spock would have/wouldn't have responded. From the few episode of TOS I saw, Spock was not nearly as emotionless as some fans claim. He did flirt with Uhura in the earlier episodes. There were times when he expressed excitement (seeing Kirk alive in Amok Time)?

tumblr_mrguaoHcv31qiy629o3_250.gif

There have been times when (Nimoy's) Spock was angry (but I don't really know the circumstances of them - he might have been under an alien influence or whatever).

Regardless, I wasn't too bothered by Spock expressing emotions.

I do agree with the sentiment that STID was "soulless" and just another shoot 'em up action flick, though. I absolutely loathed most of it.

Yes, thats true. There was always significant action in the TOS/TNG but do you think Spock in STID should have 'lost it' the way he did?

You mean when he screamed out "KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!" ? I'm not sure. Maybe. Honestly? I don't really know TOS much. There are tons of TOS fans here who could vouch for how Spock would have/wouldn't have responded. From the few episode of TOS I saw, Spock was not nearly as emotionless as some fans claim. He did flirt with Uhura in the earlier episodes. There were times when he expressed excitement (seeing Kirk alive in Amok Time)?

tumblr_mrguaoHcv31qiy629o3_250.gif

There have been times when (Nimoy's) Spock was angry (but I don't really know the circumstances of them - he might have been under an alien influence or whatever).

Regardless, I wasn't too bothered by Spock expressing emotions.

I do agree with the sentiment that STID was "soulless" and just another shoot 'em up action flick, though. I absolutely loathed most of it.

No, I was actually referring to the fist fight between Spock and Khan. He didn't seem intent on aprehending him as much as 'punishing' him. Drawn out between equally matched foes one who is unhinged (Khan) and the other who although supposed good at controlling his emotions allows himself to give in to his rage and engage in activity which does not resolve the issue. It's one thing to feel that way but to watch them give into it did not satisfy. In STID Both Kirk and Spock seemed appallingly undisciplined. Kirk punching Khan once and looking at his injured hand would have proven Khan's 'invulnerability' but no, he had to do so repeatedly. It did not make him look like the better man. This coupled I think with the loss of life on board his ship took away my admiration from the character. STID showed the two men expected to 'hold it all together' losing everywhere.

In the case of Kirk, he wasn't really trying to win a battle with Khan. He was letting out his rage against Khan for killing Pike. At that moment, Kirk didn't care about being the "better man". He wanted revenge. That's pretty human to me. To be fair, he did he prove to be the better man by going against orders and taking Khan into custody. Rather than obey orders and coldly kill him. As Spock urged him.

In regards to Spock.... Yeah I have no counter. He was just so enraged over Kirk's "death" that he wanted to beat Khan. I guess that is odd in that case.

In the case of Kirk, he wasn't really trying to win a battle with Khan. He was letting out his rage against Khan for killing Pike. At that moment, Kirk didn't care about being the "better man". He wanted revenge. That's pretty human to me. To be fair, he did he prove to be the better man by going against orders and taking Khan into custody. Rather than obey orders and coldly kill him. As Spock urged him.

In regards to Spock.... Yeah I have no counter. He was just so enraged over Kirk's "death" that he wanted to beat Khan. I guess that is odd in that case.

You are right for a few other reasons.

We TOS fans have seen instances in the past where Spock did show emotion, even if fleetingly, or justifying it later ("Amok Time" "Galileo Seven" etc).

But audiences must also remember that is a slightly younger Spock we're seeing in the alternate universe (about 9 years or so) who hasn't quite learned to control his feelings as well as his older self. Remember the 'younger' Spock we saw in "The Menagerie" (13 years younger) who used to shout on the bridge, and had an unfortunate tendency to smile at things that fascinated him (such as the singing plants on Talos IV).

thecage098.jpgthecage367.jpg

And, unique to Abramsverse ST, this is also a Spock who's suffered a holocaust of his people; that has GOT to screw with his self-control quite a bit.

We saw Spock become physically ill (if only momentarily) by the loss of 400 Vulcans in "The Immunity Syndrome"; now, add about 6 billion (!) to that, not to mention his own mother...

It's interesting that different people have so different feelings about STID, on the bottom line, even when they agree on many points.

For example, I absolutely agree with the many criticisms about STID's plotholes and "soullessness". But that doesn't make me hate the movie ... imo, it can make up for some of that with its good sides, especially the technical brilliance (not just f/x and directing, but also acting, fun dialogues and pacing). It's just still a very entertaining movie if superficial, imo, but that, it does very well.

And when I put it into perspective, means comparing to the "old" ST movies ... the plotholes are not as bad as in GEN (GEN hardly even *had* a plot, but just one giant wild card as key plot element). It's not quite as soulless as TMP (although TMP is soulless in an entirely different way). It's certainly no hard B-movie cheese such as TFF and some elements from INS and NEM.

On the other side, it never reaches the soul of TWOK or TVH, the intellectuality of TUC or the freshness and character development of ST09.

So, on the bottom line ... not among the best ST movies. But not among the worst, either.

It's interesting that different people have so different feelings about STID, on the bottom line, even when they agree on many points.

For example, I absolutely agree with the many criticisms about STID's plotholes and "soullessness". But that doesn't make me hate the movie ... imo, it can make up for some of that with its good sides, especially the technical brilliance (not just f/x and directing, but also acting, fun dialogues and pacing). It's just still a very entertaining movie if superficial, imo, but that, it does very well.

And when I put it into perspective, means comparing to the "old" ST movies ... the plotholes are not as bad as in GEN (GEN hardly even *had* a plot, but just one giant wild card as key plot element). It's not quite as soulless as TMP (although TMP is soulless in an entirely different way). It's certainly no hard B-movie cheese such as TFF and some elements from INS and NEM.

On the other side, it never reaches the soul of TWOK or TVH, the intellectuality of TUC or the freshness and character development of ST09.

So, on the bottom line ... not among the best ST movies. But not among the worst, either.

The lack of soul really hurts it the most, IMO.

At yes I agree, the plot holes of STID are bothersome but all the ST movies have those to some degree, so that's not the only reason.

There's just a calculated feeling to the whole thing; like someone trying to put together a 'summer movie' more than a Star Trek movie.

Like a Jason Bourne movie that gives lip service to tribbles and Khan to shut the nerds up. The more I see of STID, the more I recognize that there's nothing but a cash register where its heart should be.

Whole scenes and dialogue are lifted from better movies (even some of it from ST09!). They had four years to cook this thing up and THIS is what we got??

I freely admit, it 'dazzled' me on first viewing (IMAX & 3D helped a LOT) but it quickly fell apart like wet tissue paper immediately afterward.

For me? It is now one of the worst. In fact, it's now firmly in my bottom four....

The lack of soul really hurts it the most, IMO.

At yes I agree, the plot holes of STID are bothersome but all the ST movies have those to some degree, so that's not the only reason.

There's just a calculated feeling to the whole thing; like someone trying to put together a 'summer movie' more than a Star Trek movie.

Like a Jason Bourne movie that gives lip service to tribbles and Khan to shut the nerds up. The more I see of STID, the more I recognize that there's nothing but a cash register where its heart should be.

Whole scenes and dialogue are lifted from better movies (even some of it from ST09!). They had four years to cook this thing up and THIS is what we got??

I freely admit, it 'dazzled' me on first viewing (IMAX & 3D helped a LOT) but it quickly fell apart like wet tissue paper immediately afterward.

For me? It is now one of the worst. In fact, it's now firmly in my bottom four....

The summer movie format certainly hurts Star Trek. Like we said before (I don't remember if it was you or me or someone else), Star Trek was always best on the small screen, and the larger the format got on the big screen, and the more viewers it had to court to pay off, the more the movies lost soul (or "true Trekness").

But I guess I already kind of priced that in. When looking at STID as a summer blockbuster that happens to be ST, it's imo not a totally bad one. It's certainly not the kind of ST I'd love to see most (which would be on tv, ideally on cable where it can afford more quality). But until ST will be back on tv, and this format is all we got -- I'll try to make the best of it and enjoy it the best I can. ;)

ST needs to get back to television, yes; I agree very much on that.

That doesn't mean that they can't make a good ST movie, but I think that with its episodic format it simply works better on the small screen...

Says something about the movie when it's been out two years now and I've STILL got a desire to watch it which is right up there with exposing my tender parts to absolute zero temperatures.

I don't like this movie. Is too much actual civilization for me. I love future things and how Star Trek show the future, with some optimistic way. But THIS movie does not do that. I feel really sad about this movie... :(