Virogen

Into Darkness Omega Sector Reviews and Ratings

Favorite Overall Trek Series/Movie  

201 members have voted

1. 1. What is your overall favorite Star Trek series?

• Star Trek: Enterprise
    • Star Trek: The Original Series
    • Star Trek: The Animated Series
    • Star Trek: The Next Generation
    • Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
    • Star Trek: Voyager
  2. 2. What is your overall favorite Star Trek movie?

• Star Trek - I: The Motion Picture
    • Star Trek - II: The Wrath of Khan
    • Star Trek - III: The Search for Spock
    • Star Trek - IV: The Voyage Home
    • Star Trek - V: The Final Frontier
    • Star Trek - VI: The Undiscovered Country
    • Star Trek - VII: Generations
    • Star Trek - VIII: First Contact
    • Star Trek - IX: Insurrection
    • Star Trek - X: Nemesis

Only post or vote if you've seen the movie :) Which will exclude me since I live in China :(

Just wait for all the bootleg copies to come out in a few weeks. ;)

Only post or vote if you've seen the movie :) Which will exclude me since I live in China :(

Weeks? What is this, the Dark Ages? I bet the damn thing will be on Youtube in full on release date, or possibly before :P

Edited by Starblind

Virogen   

No, I won't let my first experience with a new Trek movie be through a crappy bootleg lol I'll hold out - and if I'm lucky it'll be so popular that it'll still be kicking around some cinemas when I get to Canada at the end of June :)

Weeks? What is this, the Dark Ages? I bet the damn thing will be on Youtube in full on release date, or possibly before :P

Just saw it on Youtube last night---- I keeeeeeeeeeeeeed. :giggle:

Out of curiosity I checked. There isn't a bootlegged copy online yet.

I watched the Movie in IMAX & Was Blown away, Fantastic Film, Better that the last one.

The Main thing that bothered me was (& you may say that I am nit picking), in 2009, JJ Abrams, Labled this new Star Trek, as not really a Reboot, but a continuation along a new timeline created by the Nerada polluting the Original timeline. Well that worked okay for me, but in this new film, they had Benedict Cumberbatch playing Khan with a British Accent. I mean, as great as Cumberbatch is as an actor & he did the role justice, he sould have at least portrayed the role with an Espanic accent, because everything prior to the Narada should have been set upon the original Timeline & Khan from 1996 should be the same as before. I know you could say that since Khan had been working for section 31, and numerous times he would have been working undercover, that maybe he had lost his accent, but, say, just once, in the new film, when he lost his temper, maybe he could have reverted to the Espanic accent for a few seconds. (that would have worked for me)

Apart from that, I loved it..

I have just thought of something else that maybe somebody could help me with.

While Watching the movie, there were 3 scenes that featured "Source Music"

1, Kirk with the 2 Cat girls (it sounded that maybe it was the Beastie Boys again???, but not really Sure.)

2, Kirk in Bar with Pike

3, Scotty in Night Club

I have heard that JJ has chosen "Local Artists" (5 Different Artists, I think) to feature their music in one of the scenes, so that when the Movie is shown in those Coutries, you will get the song that is relevant to your area of the world. I Know Penelope Austin has done the Track "The Dark Collides" for Austraila (But that was not the song I heard here in the UK)

So if anybody knows what the Songs are that are featured in the movie, I would be most grateful if you could let me know, I Did not stay to watch all the credits at the end of the film, as my family all started to leave the theatre.

Well that worked okay for me, but in this new film, they had Benedict Cumberbatch playing Khan with a British Accent. I mean, as great as Cumberbatch is as an actor & he did the role justice, he sould have at least portrayed the role with an Espanic accent, because everything prior to the Narada should have been set upon the original Timeline & Khan from 1996 should be the same as before.

Both Montalban and Cumberbatch had done a bit of disservice to Khan's north Indian origins (see: Space Seed). Ideally, they should've cast an Indian actor with a proper Hindi or Urdu accent. But given the fact that we see Khan in London (with a new name), it is possible he was trying to assimilate (or that was part of his Section 31 cover). And many in India do tend to speak English with a British accent (no doubt a remnant of the colonial days).

Edited by Sehlat Vie

Benedict   

All you have known, is at an end...resistance...is futile

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

and so on. A marginal improvement on the first film. Delight in Greenwood's return rapidly disintegrated, lost amongst the flashbang nature of the beast. The Jack Daniels I consumed prior sort...of turned to ice I think. A lot of groaning my end of the row as the film did its best to remake TWOK in its own image and Harrison's...well ID was established. Touche Abrams. Seemed to lack cohesion or maybe after watching TWOK, TSFS and two TOS episodes in the past week I expected something not explosive much of the time. As if we dared not lose our foucs. Lens flare did get irritating, on par with Spock/Uhura. Scotty less irritating, eclipsed by the aforementioned.

Weller channeling his Paxton from ENT. Dying words should've been "Terra Prime forever..." throw everyone for six.

One good touch was the past Enterprise models (including the much derised NX-01) and the real joy for me is Nimoy.

Kirk going down into engineering (such as it is) was almost line for line TWOK and Spock's KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!

All remains to be said...just how big is that damn ship on the inside?

(musically, much a rehash of the last films score. Much more so than anyone could have accused Horner of doing in Star Trek)

next: Star Trek XIII: Son of Kirk.

now, having copied and pasted the above from elsewhere...I'm seeing if I can have my second Jack Daniels of the evening.

(can we go back in time and save Pike? Bruce Greenwood was my source of joy)

Edited by Mackenzie Calhoun

I don't like to apply a numbering scheme, it seems too rigid. Saw it in 2D this morning at the early matinee ($6.00 senior discount) in a theater about 1/4 full. Thoroughly enjoyed the whole thing. I liked the characters in 09 and they only grew this time, especially Sulu and McCoy. Cumberbatch was outstanding with the intensity of voice and expression. The story was somewhat predictable taken as a whole, but the twists kept it interesting. As with the 09 movie, I never noticed the much bitched-about lens flares. I'll be seeing it again in a few weeks with my wife and a couple to Trekkie friends. I hope to pay more attention to the score this time.

I don't like to apply a numbering scheme, it seems too rigid. Saw it in 2D this morning at the early matinee ($6.00 senior discount) in a theater about 1/4 full. Thoroughly enjoyed the whole thing. I liked the characters in 09 and they only grew this time, especially Sulu and McCoy. Cumberbatch was outstanding with the intensity of voice and expression. The story was somewhat predictable taken as a whole, but the twists kept it interesting. As with the 09 movie, I never noticed the much bitched-about lens flares. I'll be seeing it again in a few weeks with my wife and a couple to Trekkie friends. I hope to pay more attention to the score this time.

Okay, so do they call him "John Harrison" or "Kahn" after the revelation?

Benedict   

Khan.

Khan.

I Khan't believe it. Khan they do that? Is it Khanon? :P:laugh:

* I keeeeeeeeeed *

********* BIG, FAT, DIRTY, NASTY SPOILERS ALL OVER THE PLACE ********

(And reprinted from my blog on Galactica.com).

After four LONG years, the sequel to Star Trek (2009) finally beams down to the multiplexes. I saw it this morning, so while it's plenty fresh in my head I need to get this all down. Gotta say, I enjoyed it more than I thought I was going to; I initially had many doubts, but they quickly subside (more on this later). The movie is better than the spoilers would let on. Now, I freely admit; I'm a spoiler junkie, and I pretty much read most of (but surprisingly not all) the spoilers of STID. The spoilers only tell you the broad strokes; the great stuff is in the details and how it unfolds onscreen; the nuances and character moments that I might've missed if I were struggling to wrap my brain around the story (this is my preferred way to watch big blockbusters, so deal! tongue.gif ). But (and I have to throw one of those in here) the movie is NOT without flaws; there are some major plotholes; even more so than the previous movie. But luckily, this movie has even more of the same energy, charm and pacing of the previous movie (which I thoroughly, unashamedly love, by the way). That charm and momentum go a LONG way to hiding (in places) what is a somewhat flawed script.

Now, onto the story: Early in the movie, Kirk violates the Prime Directive (exposing the Enterprise to primitive aliens) to rescue Spock, which he does. Kirk is (briefly) busted in rank, to become Pike's XO. A terrorist attack on a London archive (yes, an archive.... wink wink) changes everything. Senior Starfleet members are killed and the terrorist gets away. Pike is also killed in the attack (in a very moving death scene), and Kirk (reinstated to captain) vows to "Get that son of a b!tch." Typical revenge story..... or so it seems. And THIS is where is gets interesting....

.... Turns out that in the wake of Vulcan's destruction (the Federation's 9/11 wakeup call), Starfleet (and the DS9 rogue agency, Section 31) have been VERY busy. They find the SS Botany Bay (from the TOS episode "Space Seed") full of frozen augmented 'supermen' from a clandestine war of the late 20th century (as Kirk did in TOS). They revive the leader of the supermen, whom they re-christen as "John Harrison"; but whom we ALL know by now is none other than TOS villain Khan Noonien Singh (played by Sherlock's brilliant Benedict Cumberbatch). Khan was revived first and forced to work for S31 as sort of a rogue super agent, in exchange for the lives of his people (who are being held as collateral for his cooperation). Kirk uncovers this plot during the mission and in a brilliant twist, is actually forced to team up with Khan in order to bring down the Starfleet 'big bad' Admiral Marcus (Peter Weller; who played a similar role on ST: ENT), whose estranged daugher, Carol (Alice Eve) invites herself onboard the Enterprise. This move has consequences that cause Scotty to resign his post and cause some friction among our regulars. From here, the movie is a giant, Star Trek-themed, adrenaline fueled roller coaster; yet surprisingly, it also manages to keep a close eye on the characters, giving most of them good moments in which to shine. The only ones who seem a bit short-changed (comparatively) are Sulu and McCoy; but even they get some good material to work with and are memorable, nonetheless. There are some genuinely heartfelt moments of earned tears and emotion; with Cumberbatch (more on him later) and Quinto easily stealing the movie whenever they are onscreen.

Now onto the details...

I admit, I had some HUGE doubts about a very pale, very British actor playing classic ST villain Khan Noonien Singh. But since Khan is given a new identity to work for S31, it's not inconceivable that he was given a new face as well (its not indicated in dialogue, but that's how my brain makes it OK). And Indians with British accents are far more common than those with Spanish ones (ala Montalban). Now, here comes the gushing: Cumberbatch is EVERY BIT AS GOOD AS YOU'VE HEARD. No joke. His Khan quickly comes into his own, and is FAR more compelling than even the late Ricardo Montalban's more two-dimensional bad guy. There is genuine motivation; his fight to save his remaining group of survivors is not unlike a father trying to save his children. And his anger against both Starfleet and S31 seems rooted in genuine mistrust and rage; like a lion unleashed upon his tormentors after years of being locked up in a cage and forced to do tricks. So, it's with a healthy serving of humble pie that I am VERY glad to say I was VERY, VERY wrong about New Khan. In fact, Cumberbatch's Khan has quickly become the definitive Khan in my mind; just as his Sherlock Holmes did for me as well. I'll say right off; this is the best ST movie villain EVER. Period.

Anyway, to keep this (soon to be HUGE) blog entry entry on track, let me just throw out the stuff I liked first....

* The character interplay; great scenes between Spock, Pike and Kirk. Chris Pine makes Kirk his in this movie; I wasn't liking him in the earlier parts of the movie, but he grows up fast. Uhura has a terrific scene on the Klingon homeworld (which, in this timeline apparently collides somewhat earlier with a devastated Praxis). Sulu has a nice bit testing out command (no doubt eyeing the chair for himself one day). Chekov is (perhaps unwisely) promoted to chief engineer ("Go put on the red shirt..." ; a chuckle inducing moment for TOS fans). Scotty has a great arc throughout the movie that culminates in a 'saves the day' moment. Simon Pegg really shines in the movie, he is given both comedic & dramatic moments and shines at both. McCoy gets a bit shortchanged, but still steals more than a scene or two (or three, or four). This ST universe has a bit more of a looser ensemble feel than TOS (where the cast seemed to adhere to a more rigid hierarchy).

The characters in this movie, like ST09, give the movie its heartbeat.

And the actors are all well settled into their roles.

* Cumberbatch's Khan (see above). Absolutely amazing performance.

His extended scenes in the brig make Khan come to life like he never did in "Space Seed" or "WoK." BEST. STAR TREK. VILLAIN. EVER.

* Peter Weller's Admiral Marcus. A nasty Starfleet puppet master who is rallying a hardline right wing segment of Starfleet (and section 31) for a "Seven Days in May"-style future coup d'etat. As I am a DS9 fan, I love the fact that DS9's clandestine Section 31 is actually the REAL root of all evil in this movie (including Starfleet's 'star destroyer' "Vengeance"; which does make a lot more sense in context....).

* New warp core (shot at California's Livermore National Labs). Now THAT's a proper engine core... less Budgineering, more hi-tech (but still real-world cool). Nice job!

Love the new 'streaky phosphors' warp effect too (though I suspect it'll be a hell of a lot easier for enemies to track....).

* The space battles felt very visceral; it helped that I saw them in both IMAX and 3D (with thunderous sound). Lots of excitement, but casualties are seen as well. This is space warfare that still has a human price to it. Love the floating debris fields; very "Apollo 13."

* The ending (the VERY ending); the 'one year later' scene.

It finally looks like Star Trek might REALLY be going out into space for GOOD this time (embarking on her five year mission). The training wheels are finally off now, it seems. And Kirk's speech is so spot-on, I could very easily imagine a young William Shatner saying those very same words. Though I think that by now, Chris Pine has earned the right to say them himself.

* Loved the new Klingons. More alien, almost reptilian. And the pierced bony foreheads... OUCH! Very effective. Well worth the four year wait to get a glimpse of these guys. Since the first shocking moments of "Star Trek-The Motion Picture", they've never felt this truly otherworldly before. Kudos! Or is it Q'apla?

* A lot less lens flare, too. It's still there a bit, but nowhere near as attention-calling as it was in ST09. The cinematography of this movie is a bit more mature; less flashy (literally). I don't mind a bit of lens flare here and there ("Blade Runner" & "Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind" are two of my favorite movies), but in ST09 I will go so far as to say it was overdone. This time? It was very easy on the eyes. I suspect the use of both IMAX and 3D might have had something to do with that.

* Khan's 'healing blood'; while silly on paper? It works very well in the movie. In fact, it gives the ending a classic TOS ST style 'fakeout' death scene (ala Scotty in "The Changeling" or Chekov in "Spectre of the Gun" or McCoy in.... you get the idea). Best thing about Kirk's abrupt revival? It spares us a mandated "Search for Kirk" sequel, and really leaves the future of the franchise wide open.....

* Biggest surprise of all (for me, anyway); Kirk does NOT kill his enemies, and that says a LOT about a movie where almost everyone seems (initially) hell bent on revenge. The first seeds of genuine TOS/TNG style optimism are sown here.

Now? Things that weren't so cool (this is not a perfect movie by any means)...

* The pacing is almost frantic at times; and I suspect the reason for that is that when it stops, some of the story's basic logic falls apart.

We see Adm. Marcus abduct his own daughter through a shielded Enterprise. Yet moments later, Khan (aboard Marcus' ship) is unable to beam torpedoes through that same shielded Enterprise. WTF?!? Did the writers just FORGET that the Enterprise still had her shields up?!? This is not a nit; it's a plot hole. Chekov is able to beam falling targets from a rapidly imploding planet Vulcan in ST09, but suddenly he can't beam two moving targets up from Earth? Really?!? There are other plotholes, but those were (for me) a couple of the worst offenders....

* Kirk's 'death' scene.

Sorry, but this one was an absolutely GROAN-worthy moment; with dialogue that is pretty much cut-and-pasted from Spock's death scene in "Wrath of Khan." And Spock's Shatnerian "Khaaaaaaan!" shout afterward is about as ridiculous as Darth Vader's "Noooooooooo!!" in "Revenge of the Sith." This was (as I feared) lazy, cut-and-paste scripting by Orci/Kurtzman. Shame on them BOTH for that. It doesn't ruin the movie, but it does induce a groan or two (rather than the tears it should have). The self-referencing was so thick and shameless that it sapped the scene of it's power. What should've been the most POWERFUL moment in the film feels more like a cheap switcheroo.

* Kirk is the early part of the movie is still a bit of a shallow d!ck.

The threesome bit was less sexy, more misogynistic. And his easy dismissal of the Prime Directive ("So we just poisoned the alien population with a whole new religion based on our ship...what's the big deal?") was so callow that my jaw dropped. His demotion was too temporary as far as I was concerned.... putting a culture in the throws of false worship was (IMO) actually worse than allowing them to die. Think of all the future religious wars Kirk may have created? I know Kirk grows up during the course of the movie, but his early actions really make you question the wisdom of Pike's continued faith in him.

* Scotty's murder-by-airlock of a fellow Starfleet officer.

I realize it was life or death, but I found his "I'm really sorry about this" murder to be almost chilling. That would haunt the s#!t out of me forever. The security guard was a bully, but he didn't really deserve that fate. A bit more creative writing could've saved this scene, IMO.

* Carol Marcus.

Yes, Alice Eve is absolutely gorgeous but believing her as the daughter of Adm. Marcus is a bit of a stretch. I understand there was a deleted scene explaining this (and it's sorely needed). But as it is? It's about as improbable as Kate Middleton being the daughter of Rush Limbaugh. And Marcus serves no real purpose to the story except as eye candy (the underwear scene was totally gratuitous) and occasional bargaining chip. I simply don't see her as the strong, independent, life-creating Carol Marcus we saw in "WoK." Easy on the eyes, but pretty much unnecessary...

* Leonard Nimoy's cameo.

As much as I love Nimoy (almost Sheldon Cooper-esque levels), I felt his (literally) phoned in cameo was simple fanboy wankage and felt about as necessary as training wheels on a sport bike.

OK.

Now that I let my harshly critical half off his leash for a bit, it's time to grade this film as a collective whole...

Was it entertaining? HELL YES!! The movie fan in me absolutely loved it. This is a much better movie than I expected, with the STRONGEST villain I've ever seen in a ST film (yes, "WoK" included), but some serious logistical flaws prevent STID from being as solid a movie as ST09. But on its own, STID has power, emotion, and most surprisingly, it ends with a most unexpected, classically Roddenberry-esque "bury the hatchet" (or holster the phaser) ending (Kirk's sparing of his enemies). And it's in the ending of the film where the classic TOS optimism in the wake of all of the movie's 9/11-metaphor carnage feels truly earned; and it is both inspiring and heartfelt. Finally, some classically optimistic Star Trekkian-style messages seems to be emerging from all of the darkness.

Hopefully, these wonderful iconic-yet-new characters can now truly chart their OWN course to the stars....

Star Trek Into Darkness rates an 8 1/2 out of 10.

For me? It was not quite the solid 9 of ST09, but it is one hell of a thrilling ride....

Edited by Sehlat Vie

Glad you enjoyed it....See, I knew you would! :)

My biggest and most pleasant surprise was Cumberbatch's Khan; not only does he almost obliterate any memory of Montalban's interpretation, but he actually makes him somewhat sympathetic as well. He and Quinto gave the movie's strongest performances.

Wow! I'm surprised (in a good way) that you enjoyed it, Sehlat Vie! My brother actually went and saw it the other day with some friends, and he said it was way better than the first movie (he's not as big a Trekkie as I am, but he does understand a lot of what Trek is about). I'll take all this as a good sign...time to make plans to see it myself!

Wow! I'm surprised (in a good way) that you enjoyed it, Sehlat Vie! My brother actually went and saw it the other day with some friends, and he said it was way better than the first movie (he's not as big a Trekkie as I am, but he does understand a lot of what Trek is about). I'll take all this as a good sign...time to make plans to see it myself!

Hope you enjoy it too!

Two things truly surprised me; Cumberbatch's Khan really grabbed me. He was SO MUCH better in the role than Montalban. My Indian friend that my wife and I saw it with had no issue with the casting, and after awhile I didn't either. Cumberbatch really makes the character his own. The second was the optimistic and hopeful ending. Honestly, the final speech in the movie was something I think even Roddenberry would've approved of! Despite the darkness and all the bad s#!t that goes down, you really get a sense that the road is finally paved for the more optimistic ST we saw in both TOS and TNG....

Against my better judgement, I went to see it. And, well, here we go....

It was an entertaining film. Much more so than the first. Less offensive, as well, with the dumbing down of Trek lore. Although it's still obviously apparent that the writers and everyone involved really don't give two s***s about Star Trek. The story, aside from the parallels and usages of Khan, and TWOK's most memorable scenes, was passable. It would've made for a better overall film if it weren't Khan. Then again, therein lies the problem. We were told it wasn't Khan. Since Cumberbatch's casting, since before then, when the casting calls were made. "Oh, no, it's not Khan." Then the John Harrison information was divulged. Still, they told us it wasn't Khan. I likened this to what happened with The Dark Knight Rises. Chris Nolan and his people assured us, told the fans multiple times, that Talia al Ghul wouldn't be in the film. That Miranda Tate was a separate and original character. I called bull**** right away, and expected her to be Talia. And I was right. They thought the fans were that stupid, and now JJ and company have done the same. They think the fans are this stupid. That shows you the bottom-rung respect they have for Star Trek and its fans. And on that notion, I find the film offensive. On its own technical merits, it's a serviceable and decent film. Certain characters shined more than others, once again. Scotty was leagues better this time around, and Bones was even better than before. Chekov got more annoying, the Captain Sulu jokes were cute, and Uhura was once again pointless to the entire central theme of the plot. She was filler. And bitchy. She irritated me the most, just as before. But Alice Eve's Carol Marcus might've been just as irritating, if not more. She served no purpose, other than to be Admiral Robocop's daughter, and to strip down to her underwear for no good reason.

My main qualm with the Khan plot is they whitewashed him. They could've put makeup on him and colored contacts, at the very least, to make him look Indian, maybe. Anything could've been done to make a cosmetic connection to the character. But current moviegoers don't know Khan. They don't know the story, even the story of TWOK. All they know is the "KHAAAAN!" meme, which was used to horrible effect in this film. That's all the whole, "KHAAAN," thing is. It's a meme. In the internet age, it's used as a joke. A punchline. What were the filmmakers expecting? The entire theater, myself included, erupted in laughter when Spock shouted "KHAAAAAN!" Was this just a big joke? You know what I was reminded of? When Darth Vader, after being put together, and finally seeing him on screen again in Episode III, stumbled about, groaning in rage, and letting out that big, ridiculous, "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!" That is exactly what I was reminded of. As if the writers treated the material like a big joke. It was an affront, a slap to the face, a big middle finger, to Star Trek, its history, and its fans.

maxresdefault.jpg

These two are virtually the same.

tumblr_md6t3sgOzg1r0sqdio1_500.gif

If he were any other character, it would've been an overall better movie. I didn't cry. I didn't FEEL any emotion when Kirk died. I didn't feel Spock's anger, because I was too busy laughing. Understanding Khan's plight, Kirk and Spock's relationship, is null, void, and pointless. Because you can't relate. They're not the same relationships that we know. If the general audiences don't understand who Khan is, why he exacted his revenge against Kirk, and why the sacrifice truly meant something, then the meaning behind using Khan was pointless except to draw in whatever Trekkie audience would buy this cheap remake. Nemesis is the better TWOK ripoff to me, because, at least, it made me FEEL. I had a connection to the TNG crew. I had a connection to Data. Losing him, even in such a copout copy of TWOK, made me feel. Because of the connection. I have no connection to the new crew, to these new situations. If the film was solely about, perhaps, the Klingons, or if John Harrison really was a Section 31 operative and not Khan, it would've been better. But that fact hampered my viewing experience, because I now watched it with a judging, jaundiced eye.

twokhd0692.jpg

Now that's how you do it.

So, in summary:

Pros

- Effects great, as always. Especially the warp jump -- a nice touch to the old style warp-ins.

- Performances were better. Quinto improved ten-fold, while Simon Pegg and Karl Urban truly shined.

- Benedict Cumberbatch is a force to be reckoned with. Already a Sherlock fan, I was impressed by the delivery of his sub-standard dialogue.

- The ship, as ugly as it is, finally feels like a character. More impressive interiors, better sets, and the warp core actually looks like a core. Good usage of existing locations.

- THE KLINGONS!!! I wouldn't mind a Klingon-centric plot for the next film, especially if done in the Undiscovered Country style, with good intrigue and a slower pace.

- Peter Weller was entertaining as all hell. Good to see him back in Trek.

- Nice nod to Section 31. Glad to see they weren't butchered horribly.

- Another nice nod, this time to Harry Mudd. Clever.

- I actually liked how the Peter Wellers' ship was named the Vengeance. I was skeptical at first, of course, and even from a Section 31 point-of-view, it's odd. But I got it. It was named Vengeance due to TWOK's original title, The Vengeance of Khan. Pretty neat.

- Score was MUCH better. Khan had a good theme, and even the Klingons had a nice motif. Nowhere near the quality of Goldsmith and Horner, obviously, but a better outing than Trek '09.

Cons

- KHAN. He could've been ANY other character. I would've easily accepted Gary Mitchell or Charlie X. But as soon as he revealed himself as Khan, I prepared for the worst, and the film continued to nosedive for me, because I couldn't get over it. The theater laughed at the reveal.

- The death scene. A well-acted attempt by Pine and Quinto, but nowhere near the impact the original TWOK scene had.

- Spock yelling, "KHAAAN!" Again, I equate this to Darth Vader yelling, "NOOOOO!!!" A big joke, and an unintentionally funny moment.

- The plot to use Khan's 72 followers was clever, but didn't work overall. Khan's motives were clear, but seeing as how this character is being marketed to an audience that knows nothing about him or the history of it all, it fell flat because I didn't care. The history isn't there, it's a botched attempt at mixing "Space Seed" with TWOK.

- The characterizations are hypercharged, yet again. We get it, Kirk is a ladies' man. That doesn't mean we need to see him f***ing something in each film. It's unnecessary.

- Uhura was even bitchier and more annoying than before. At least she put her linguistic skills to good use.

- Carol Marcus was boring and pointless. She was only there to further tie this film to TWOK and to stand there in her underwear. Ugh.

Nitpicky Cons

- Why was the Enterprise under water? Wouldn't being in orbit serve the same purpose, and reduce their chances of being seen by, oh say, 100% PERCENT???

- If a shuttlecraft can withstand entering a planet's atmosphere, it can withstand being in a volcano. They have shielding.

- Did nobody care that the Vengeance crashing into San Fransisco probably killed at least 50,000 people? Maybe more? I felt like that was carelessly glanced over.

- Khan's magic blood. Ugh.

- Kirk's resurrection. CHEAP. Then again, copying the scene overall was cheap.

Overall, it was an enjoyable film. Much more so than the first one. It felt like a decent Trek movie in certain places, then I would be reminded of the cold truth the next: this is a cheap remake of TWOK. Where this movie fails in those moments, TWOK (obviously) shines. Even Nemesis shined brighter than this film, in those essential emotional moments. Why? Because of our connections to the original characters. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. All-in-all, better than Trek '09, but still kinda meh. Would I watch it again, though? Maybe. Probably just the first hour-and-a-half, two hours.

From you, Happy Russia? That sounds like high praise. :thumbup::laugh:

I had some of the same complaints (just a lot more long-winded), but overall I enjoyed it very much. I'm very liable to see it again as well (although I might reserve the shameless cut-and-paste death scene for a bathroom break; that was shockingly lazy scripting.... and you & I both agreed on the silly "Khaaaan" call; it was as stupid as Vader's "Noooooo!!!" meme).

But I'm also pleased that by the very end of the movie, ST seems to have finally gotten all the 9/11 allegories out of its system (almost like an exorcism of sorts), and may actually go back to the business of exploration-based adventures again.

And the fact that Kirk did NOT kill his enemies (Khan or his 72 augments) was a big deal to me; we finally see the more mature Kirk of TOS (the one who wouldn't kill the Gorn, and spared the Horta). This genuinely pleased me, as I didn't expect it in what was billed almost as a standard revenge flick...

And Cumberbatch was so good, that the disparity in his look quickly evaporated for me; the fact they called him "John Harrison" seemed to indicate that his new identity was cosmetic as well. At any rate, Cumberbatch owned the S#!T out of the role. He made me ask, "Ricardo WHO?" And frankly, a pale Sikh is no worse really than a Mexican one with the wrong accent.... at least a British accented Indian makes more sense in hindsight, really.

In fact, we saw it with an Indian friend of ours who even pointed out that the name Khan Noonien Singh is geographically 'all over the place' (with both Muslim & Sikh names in one). So Khan was never too 'geographically specific' after all, it seems.... :giggle:

Edited by Sehlat Vie

Well, looks like it'll be worth the effort. I watched TWOK and ST09 with my little brother the other day, so he'd be ready to appreciate what it could be but probably won't when we see it tomorrow.

Quick thoughts...

I saw Into Darkness yesterday on the IMAX in 3D (first IMAX 3D experience) and I thought it was a well-made (not without it's issues, of course) entertaining summer blockbuster that delivers for both fans and non-fans alike. I consider myself a casual fan of TOS, but slightly more so when it comes to the TOS movies. With that said, I thought Into Darkness captured the spirit of the relationships between the crew and pays tribute to the original cannon respectably, but most importantly it was entertaining throughout. (3D conversion was worth the effort and worked well for the most part, as did the decision to shoot on film, yet again)

The additions of Cumberbach and the great Peter Weller to the cast were absolutely killer. Cumberbach's a force who'll continue to rise onto to greater things and who's future I look forward to, as long as keeps working on the excellent Sherlock series on BBC. As for Weller, he never fails to deliver and I'm glad to see him back with a significant role in such a huge movie, taking a break from his college teaching gig (that's right, he has his Master's Degree in Roman and Renaissance Art).

It'll be interesting to see what happens to the franchise moving forward without Abrahams at the helm.

On a slightly more trivial note, the lens flair seems to be big issue for people yet again with this one. I didn't find it that distracting unless you're looking for it. Everything else (story, character interaction, big explosions and pretty colours) was enough to keep me from really noticing.

8/10

Edited by Vampire Kirk