Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Virogen

Into Darkness Press Reviews Thread

35 posts in this topic

Oh, don't worry, I'm pretty sure that the general consensus here is that we don't like them either. ;)

I remember the pounding I took because I had the absolute gall to say that "Space Seed" was a mediocre episode of TOS.

You'd think I'd personally shot their dogs and set all of their homes on fire or something....

Now, I liked ST09 but I recognize that it had plenty of flaws (I'm not blind, nor am I a ring kisser [or any other body part] ). And yes, I do defend it on occasion. But I also liked ST-TMP, I also liked GEN, TAS and other 'unpopular' Star Treks. I once defended GEN on Trekmovie because some others were tearing it to shreds. I stepped in (not smartly) and compared it's illusion vs reality theme to TOS' "The Cage" and said that I really liked the cinematography as well. They lost their minds.

This is where I have an issue with ST fans sometimes (and on Trekmovie it's particularly acute); the legions of ST fans who seem to believe that their ST is the only 'true' ST. I've been alive a long time; I've seen ST interpreted and re-interpreted for at least a few generations now. In each new incarnation, there are good elements and there are bad elements. But here's the thing; it's all relative. One fan's "Yesterday's Enterprise" is another's "Spock's Brain". I think ST fans should give each other more latitude that way. And the best way to bolster one's own opinion should not be by attacking another's.

Trekmovie is more guilty of bullying than others. Almost militantly so. And depending on the mood of the moderators, it largely gets by.

That's why I pick and choose my battles when it comes to posting. I don't need to get crapped on by the other posters, unless I really feel strongly about something.

But, as you said, my Trek is the only true Trek. ;)

Another review from Ain'tItCoolNews (MAJOR SPOILERS ON THE LINK BELOW! CLICK AT YOUR OWN PERIL)

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/62468

This review was fairly close to my own assessment (STID has some MAJOR plotholes, which are mostly smoothed over by charm and a wink); though I liked it a bit more than Nordling did. But I do very much agree that "Wrath of Khan" was both the best and worst thing to happen to the ST movie franchise, as it has only inspired countless imitations, rather than original ST stories....

Here's a VERY funny (and raunchy) STID review from my personal favorites; the online Roger Eberts of the internet, Mike and Jay at Redlettermedia:

**********NSFW~!! LOTS OF BAD LANGUAGE! ;) *********

http://redlettermedi...-into-darkness/

While I agree on many of their points (frankly, ALL of their observations are valid, really), I still enjoyed it more than they did.... ;)

Edited by Sehlat Vie

Yeah, but they're also former film students. So they know their stuff. ;)

Yeah, but they're also former film students. So they know their stuff. ;)

I've been a fan of RLM for about 2 years or so; and so naturally, I love your avatar.... ;)

There is a wonderful editorial from Entertainment Weeky (EW.com) which perfectly articulates many of my feelings about STID ("Why is Everyone So Upset With Star Trek Into Darkness?").

Full article here (though I think we have may have posted this elsewhere, I'm not sure):

Here was a selection of it that perfectly articulates my problems with reusing the Khan character: http://popwatch.ew.com/2013/09/19/star-trek-into-darkness-jj-abrams/

So the creators added in Khan because they thought people wanted to see Khan; at the same time, they wanted to surprise people. There was a possible timeline where this worked out perfectly, and the result was something like the new Battlestar Galactica that honored the source material while putting a whole new spin on it. In our own sad timeline, this meant basically creating an entirely new character and then retroactively naming him Khan. Old-school Khan was a randy warlord with dude cleavage; new-school Khan was a monochrome emotionless superspy. They basically turned Conan the Barbarian into Jason Bourne. Really, it’s clear that they wanted to just tell an entirely new story, but decided somewhere along the way that it couldn’t be too new.

The weird thing is, I’m not so sure anyone was really asking for a new version of Khan. Sure, fans of Star Trek are always excited by the prospect of certain trope-characters like Klingons or the Borg, but part of what made Abrams’ first Star Trek movie so exciting was that it seemed to offer a whole host of new things. So the fans were ready for something new that reminded them of something old, and the filmmakers felt the need to recreate something old in a slightly new way; they met in the middle, and the result was Spock yelling “KHAAAAAANNNN!”

No one on either side of the fan-creator divide seems particularly happy with how things turned out. Abrams has lost a bit of his reboot-kingpin sheen. Lindelof is going back to television, where at least he won’t have to take credit for Ridley Scott’s mistakes. The core fandom is now in a moment of deep pessimism, equivalent to the mid-’70s Animated Series lull and the mid-00s Enterprise decline — and this moment is arguably worse for the core fandom, because the franchise seems to have actually evolved beyond the need for core fandom. (Into Darkness didn’t make Iron Man money, but

it did make more money worldwide than any other film in the franchise.) Nobody who cares enough to have an opinion about Star Trek Into Darkness is happy about Star Trek Into Darkness. It’s an essential artifact from the era of the Fan Rage; it’s also a movie where you get the sense that everyone involved might’ve been happier if they had made something that wasn’t called Star Trek.

I will just have to reference this section every time I get into a discussion of why the misuse of Khan was such a bad idea...

Here's my review.

And - we really liked the movie and will go see it again.  The character interplay was the best part, well written and executed with natural feeling embedded humor.

Jaylah.jpg

Edited by Mutai Sho-Rin

Here's my review.

And - we really liked the movie and will go see it again.  The character interplay was the best part, well written and executed with natural feeling embedded humor.

Jaylah.jpg

^

Agree so much!  I thought that just the scenes of McCoy and Spock together again were the best anniversary gift of all; so help me, they felt right out of the TV show...

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0