Sign in to follow this  
Virogen

Into Darkness Press Reviews Thread

Virogen   

The reviews are starting to roll in:

8/10: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/04/23/star-trek-into-darkness-igns-review

I've "skimmed" a couple others (I'm avoiding most spoilers) and so far it looks like another critical hit, but probably not to the extent of the first one.

Can we post all there reviews we find here to keep the forum from being overloaded with one topic per review?

Here's a (SPOILER FILLED!!!!) link from Ain'tItCoolNews' Mr Beaks and his review of STID:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/62238

Kind of confirms my worst fears about both the film and the possibility that ST09 was just a lucky fluke from hack writers Orci & Kurtzman. What was I expecting from the guys who gave us the Transformers movies (yech!) and "Cowboys & Aliens" (one of the WORST movies I saw that year)?

*****MINOR SPOILER AHEAD AS WELL******

I've got such a sinking feeling about STID (especially reading about the wholly ripped off ending of WoK, with Kirk behind the glass instead of Spock).

Frankly, STID is starting to sound like the steroid popping, bullying, dumber brother to it's smarter, nerdier older sibling (WoK). At least it has brilliant actor Benedict Cumberbatch (even if he is reduced to playing Khan instead of a new character); he is truly an amazing actor. I love his turns in "Sherlock", "Hawking" and most recently in Danny Boyle's stage adaptation of "Frankenstein" (watched it via satellite at a Fathom Events theatre; it was great!). He is probably the only reason I can muster ANY enthusiasm for this film (STID was once top of my summer 'can't wait' list... a spot now occupied by "Man Of Steel").

Edited by Sehlat Vie

If it makes you feel any better man, I'll watch it and let you know if you want to waste the money. :)

As I said, I'm watching primarily because it's ST and it has Benedict Cumberbatch; but I no longer have the 'must see' enthusiasm for it that I did when I thought it might actually be something new and not a Star Trek 2.0: The Re-Hash of Khan. I'm seeing it, but not with the eagerness I once had for it. Now it's almost perfunctory....

Edited by Sehlat Vie

kadajawi   

ST09 a lucky fluke? I thought the writing was very bad there too... the only good work by Orci and Kurtzman was MI3, but there they share writing credits with JJ. I guess JJ did the good stuff, or at least was able to come up with a good story and good twists, and was able to push Orci and Kurtzman in the right direction and tell them when they were too lazy. It'd probably be better if people don't watch it in the cinemas, because otherwise they think they are on the right track. Unless of course you think they are. Because all the angry postings on the internet are negated by the dollars on their bank accounts. That gives them the right to say "ah, it's just a few who disliked the movie". I won't be watching it in the cinema. Perhaps I'll catch it on TV a couple of years in the future (if I can be bothered to), or I watch a pirated version of it. Because the way this looks like I'd rather burn my money than give it to Orci and Kurtzman. That would feel just wrong. Btw. I can't insert line breaks in this forum (?!) and Btw. 2 will there be a review by Trekcore?

Edited by kadajawi

The thing I'm disappointed about the most is that it'll probably be a whole year, hopefully less given whenever the DVD comes out, before there's a Plinkett review of STID.

258513-1.jpg

The thing I'm disappointed about the most is that it'll probably be a whole year, hopefully less given whenever the DVD comes out, before there's a Plinkett review of STID.

258513-1.jpg

I love Plinkett's reviews of the Star Wars' prequels. He says EXACTLY what I've felt about them for years....

Of course, the only movie review that'll really count to me is my own.... a stack of good or bad reviews mean very little to me in the end. Ultimately, it's what I make of it for myself. Reviews can bolster an opinion, but not really create one.... ;)

Of course, the only movie review that'll really count to me is my own.... a stack of good or bad reviews mean very little to me in the end. Ultimately, it's what I make of it for myself. Reviews can bolster an opinion, but not really create one.... ;)

True that. I usually end up disagreeing with like Rotten Tomato reviews and all that. A few times I've been on the same page, but not always.

Virogen   

From TrekMovie:

Review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes currently rates Star Trek into Darkness as 87% fresh, based on 160 reviews. The rating has fluctuated a bit in the last few days, but 87% is the same rating from our last summary on May 8th (based on only 37 reviews, mostly from UK and Australia). At 87%, Into Darkness is the top ranked wide release of 2013 so far, beating out films like Iron Man 3 (78%), The Great Gatsby (49%), and Pain and Gain(47%) - currently ranked 1, 2 and 3 respectively in the US. Into Darkness is also ranking ahead of the early reviews for Fast and Furious 6 (open next weekend), which is currently tracking at 81%.

However, Into Darkness is ranking behind the 2009 Star Trek movie which had a 95% fresh rating. The story is the same with the Metacritic aggregator site, ranking Star Trek Into Darkness at 73, compared to Iron Man 3 at 62; The Great Gatsby at 55; and Pain and Gainat 43. Metacritic scored the 2009 Star Trek at 83.

I can't wait for TrekMovie to give it a 1,000/100 score, with its legions of users saying nothing but glowing praise for it.

I can't wait for TrekMovie to give it a 1,000/100 score, with its legions of users saying nothing but glowing praise for it.

I used to post on Trekmovie, but not so much anymore. You post ANY opinion against the popular consensus and they practically s#!t in your gas tank. I peruse the articles sometimes, but I rarely post there anymore. They have several true-blue cyber bullies on that site who would normally be air-locked off of any normal scifi site if they didn't always kiss the ring of Bob Orci (he posts there often, so as long as you agree with him you're good). They have some of the worst moderating I've ever seen. Sometimes it's pitbull-ish, other times its non-existent.

I stopped posting there because at my age, I really don't need the aggravation of a snot nosed, ill-mannered brat insulting my dead mother because I disagreed with them about the animated series, or had an alternate interpretation of ST09 that they didn't like.

If there are any Trekmovie posters here, I apologize, but that whole site is f**ked in the head.... :loopy:

Edited by Sehlat Vie

Oh, don't worry, I'm pretty sure that the general consensus here is that we don't like them either. ;)

Oh, don't worry, I'm pretty sure that the general consensus here is that we don't like them either. ;)

I remember the pounding I took because I had the absolute gall to say that "Space Seed" was a mediocre episode of TOS.

You'd think I'd personally shot their dogs and set all of their homes on fire or something....

Now, I liked ST09 but I recognize that it had plenty of flaws (I'm not blind, nor am I a ring kisser [or any other body part] ). And yes, I do defend it on occasion. But I also liked ST-TMP, I also liked GEN, TAS and other 'unpopular' Star Treks. I once defended GEN on Trekmovie because some others were tearing it to shreds. I stepped in (not smartly) and compared it's illusion vs reality theme to TOS' "The Cage" and said that I really liked the cinematography as well. They lost their minds.

This is where I have an issue with ST fans sometimes (and on Trekmovie it's particularly acute); the legions of ST fans who seem to believe that their ST is the only 'true' ST. I've been alive a long time; I've seen ST interpreted and re-interpreted for at least a few generations now. In each new incarnation, there are good elements and there are bad elements. But here's the thing; it's all relative. One fan's "Yesterday's Enterprise" is another's "Spock's Brain". I think ST fans should give each other more latitude that way. And the best way to bolster one's own opinion should not be by attacking another's.

Trekmovie is more guilty of bullying than others. Almost militantly so. And depending on the mood of the moderators, it largely gets by.

Edited by Sehlat Vie

Sign in to follow this