Sign in to follow this  
Maltz

Kirk's relationship with Janice Lester

Zef'No   
the remastered DVD/blurays did a beautiful job of 'smoothing out' the rough spots. They also kept the look consistent with the TOS universe (the Ent model is exactly the same; as are the shuttlecraft, etc). They resisted the urge to "Lucas-ify" everything. They don't add things that weren't there previously; no hordes of extra creatures flying about, or bottomless warp cores added to 1960s sets. Most of the modifications are things like phaser blasts, matte paintings (some of which are just tweaked a bit, not replaced) and all the space shots. IMO, as CGI-enhanced special editions go? The TOS SEs are a model of elegance, restraint and exactitude for others to follow.

Actually, it does add and change things that weren't there originally. The fleet of Klingon ships in Errand of Mercy for example (an episode that aired years before the original model had been built), replacing one Klingon model with a Romulan bird-of-prey in The Enteprise Incident, a completely new matte painting in Requiem for Methuselah, a completely new ship created for Is There In Truth No Beauty?, and so on.

Many other shots are changed significantly, featuring very different designs, angles and/or effects. It makes very little effort to stay faithful to the original versions. Some of the changes are definite improvements, but some I think take things a bit too far. In some cases, I actually miss the old version - although this is probably largely because I was so used to seeing it the old way.

I'm not averse to them making use of modern technology to add in elements that they couldn't afford to do at the time, but sometimes it feels like they changed things for no good reason - they went out of their way to re-imagine it rather than re-create the original intent (which I would largely have preferred).

Some of the CGI doesn't look terribly great either to be honest. I understand they had limited money and resources, but I'm sure in a few years time they will look as dated as the original TOS episodes looked in the 90's.

Actually, it does add and change things that weren't there originally. The fleet of Klingon ships in Errand of Mercy for example (an episode that aired years before the original model had been built), replacing one Klingon model with a Romulan bird-of-prey in The Enteprise Incident, a completely new matte painting in Requiem for Methuselah, a completely new ship created for Is There In Truth No Beauty?, and so on.

Well, to those kinds of changes, I'd say those were choices that the TOS team probably would've made back in the '60s if they had the time/budget/technology to do so. As for "Requiem for Methuselah", the new matte painting of Flint's home is far superior (and more fitting; with it's observatory, and long walkway); the original was just a reuse of the matte painting of Rigel VII in "The Cage." And as for the Medusan vessel in "Is There in Truth...", it was mentioned in dialogue but never seen. Now we see it. Same for the "Antares" transport ship in "Charlie X" or Mudd's vessel in "Mudd's Women." Also in episodes like "Court Martial" we actually see an empty port on the side of the ship where Finney's missing ion pod was once in place. Or the release of the tri-cobalt satellites in "Operation: Annihilate" through the bottom 'bomb-bay' hatch (that large yellow spot we see on the bottom of the Ent model). These aren't arbitrary or meaningless changes; these actually enhance key story points and are, for me (as a diehard TOS fan) most welcome. The Okudas oversaw a splendid and lovingly detailed job. :thumbup:

Many other shots are changed significantly, featuring very different designs, angles and/or effects. It makes very little effort to stay faithful to the original versions. Some of the changes are definite improvements, but some I think take things a bit too far. In some cases, I actually miss the old version - although this is probably largely because I was so used to seeing it the old way.

I can't remember a single FX shot from the originals that I miss in the remastered versions. With the possible exception of a shot or two in "The Tholian Web." Otherwise, they look beautiful. Unlike the violently mismatched CGI shots in the Star Wars Special Editions, the ST-TOS remastered sets are far more seamless. And I also like that they didn't change any of the interior sets, or altered the actors or aliens in any way; other than FX shots, the show is VERY much classic Star Trek. Now it just matches its younger offspring series a bit better. It's like grandpa having a new pacemaker installed; now he can play with the grandkids. ;)

Some of the CGI doesn't look terribly great either to be honest. I understand they had limited money and resources, but I'm sure in a few years time they will look as dated as the original TOS episodes looked in the 90's.

I really don't think so.

I think the level of CGI used in the remastered editions was just right; some of the shots are excellent, some are so-so; but none of them are as visually jarring as the worst of the original shots. And none of them are so good that they pop you out of the show. When I first popped in S1 of the remastered series, I was expecting to have mixed emotions about it, but within a few minutes, I was surprised at how little I even noticed most of them. The story is still first and foremost the most important thing (as the Bard and the deranged Lenore Karidian might say, "The play's the thing....").

And unlike Han Solo, Kirk still shoots first.... :P

Edited by Sehlat Vie

Zef'No   
I can't remember a single FX shot from the originals that I miss in the remastered versions.

One that springs to mind is Elaan of Troyius. I much prefer the footage of the original Klingon ship to the remastered version. It's not just the way the ship looks, but the angle, the distance, how it moves, and so on.

Some things too, like The Doomsday Device for example; the original version is so iconic that the newer one just never looks quite right to me. Admittedly, this is because I grew up watching the original version so I expect it to always look the same.

And you already mentioned The Tholian Web which is another one.

I agree that most of the new stuff are definite improvements, but there's just a few places where I miss the original. - I can't think of many examples of the top of my head, it's just something I sometimes feel when watching them. This is probably just me being overly nostalgic of course :inlove:

You're right, at least they weren't changed to that extent!

Edited by Zef'No

I can't remember a single FX shot from the originals that I miss in the remastered versions.

One that springs to mind is Elaan of Troyius. I much prefer the footage of the original Klingon ship to the remastered version. It's not just the way the ship looks, but the angle, the distance, how it moves, and so on.

Some things too, like The Doomsday Device for example; the original version is so iconic that the newer one just never looks quite right to me. Admittedly, this is because I grew up watching the original version so I expect it to always look the same.

And you already mentioned The Tholian Web which is another one.

I agree that most of the new stuff are definite improvements, but there's just a few places where I miss the original. - I can't think of many examples of the top of my head, it's just something I sometimes feel when watching them. This is probably just me being overly nostalgic of course :inlove:

You're right, at least they weren't changed to that extent!

I don't know... that original shot of the Klingon ship in "Elaan of Troyius" looks like a child's tinker toy. The darker hull and shadowing in the remastered looks much more 'real' to me.

And of course, if you have the bluray sets, you can always toggle back and forth between the old FX and the new stuff. If only the Star Wars sets had that feature... :(

Edited by Sehlat Vie