Sign in to follow this  
Autocad

TRIVIA...Fastest Warp in any episode.

I just watched a T.O.S...

And they exceeded Warp 10. (I'll post at the end, let's make it fun!)

anyone care to guess the highest warp speed ever?

Post up!

IIRC in TOS the Enterprise was ordered to warp 13. This was before warp 10 was established in cannon as the theoretical limit, at which point you would occupy every point in the universe simultaneously. The retroactive way to explain exceeding warp 10 in TOS would be to say that TOS's warp scale wasn't the same as TNG era's. TOS warp 20 might have been the same as TNG's warp 10. This would make more sense, because in TOS they certainly didn't mention occupying every point in the universe simultaneously, and because with slower ships of the era it would be easier to say 'Warp 13' instead of 'Warp 6.5'. In one episode of Voyager, Paris hit warp 10 in a shuttlecraft and started to experience mutations. I think the Federation had experimental ships hitting warp 9.975.

So highest warp number was uttered in TOS, but it certainly wasn't the highest velocity traveled. The highest velocity traveled would have been warp 10 in Voyager's shuttlecraft. The highest velocity safely traveled would have been, (if I recall correctly) warp 9.975.

Edited by Hammer

The TOS Enterprise had a cruising speed of Warp 6, with a (dangerous) maximum of Warp 8, though encounters with alien life forms enable the ship to reach up to Warp 11 (The Changeling and By Any Other Name), and once even up to Warp 14.1 (That Which Survives).

All this however was on a different scale to TNG (where Warp 10 is the maximum).

(Similarly, in the future of All Good Things, there must be yet another scale in use because ships there regularly go up to Warp 13).

The U.S.S. Voyager had a sustainable cruising velocity of Warp 9.975.

I think the Enterprise hit warp 14 in the TOS episode, "That Which Survives."

This was probably the episode that prompted the warp speed re-scaling in TNG.... ;-D

All this however was on a different scale to TNG (where Warp 10 is the maximum).

During the episode "Where No One Has Gone Before", the Enterprise exceeds Warp 10, going off the scales according to La Forge, and arrive in another part of the Universe, 2,700,000 light years away in a few seconds.

Highest ive seen is warp 13. Captain Beverly Crusher ordered a course set for the devron system at warp 13 if i remember right

During the episode "Where No One Has Gone Before", the Enterprise exceeds Warp 10, going off the scales according to La Forge, and arrive in another part of the Universe, 2,700,000 light years away in a few seconds.

He meant off the scale as in his instruments were not sensitive enough to measure it accurately.

It couldn't have been Warp 10 (or beyond), since you would occupy every point in the universe simultaneously. This was done in Threshold, which has to be the absolute maximum.

More likely, the Enterprise was travelling at Warp 9.999999999999999999999999...

Remember as well that the post-TNG Warp scale is not linear, it is exponential. So, there is a much greater difference between Warp 8 and Warp 9 then there is between Warp 1 and Warp 2 for example. By the time you get to Warp 9.99, the difference between that and Warp 9.999 would be very significant (even though it doesn't look it on paper).

It should also be noted that various phenomena can cause ships to travel "very fast" (somewhere between Warp 9.9 and Warp 10). These include Transwarp Conduits, Quantum Slipstream, Wormholes, Vaadwaur Corridors, Malon Vortices, Graviton Catapults and so on. With some of these however, it is debatable whether actual velocity is increased, or if space is somehow "folded" to allow you to "hop" from one point to another without necessarily going very fast at all. Entities like Q and The Caretaker also seem to be able to "transport" ships from one place to another, although again, this doesn't necessarily involve moving particularly quickly.

Anytime a Warp Factor greater than 10 is mentioned, it must (by definition) be on a different scale to the normal TNG/DS9/Voyager one. In All Good Things for example, Warp 13 is mentioned, but this might only be equivalent to Warp 9.9 on the "old" system.

The U.S.S. Prometheus was said to be the fastest ship in the fleet, so it must be able to travel faster than Warp 9.975 quite comfortably.

Because I am such a geek, I made a graph showing the difference between the different warp scales used in TOS and TNG:

warpdrive.jpg

Also, here are some equivalent velocities (accurate to 3 decimal places):

TOS Warp Factor 2 is equal to TNG Warp Factor 1.866

TOS Warp Factor 3 is equal to TNG Warp Factor 2.688

TOS Warp Factor 4 is equal to TNG Warp Factor 3.482

TOS Warp Factor 5 is equal to TNG Warp Factor 4.257

TOS Warp Factor 6 is equal to TNG Warp Factor 5.016

TOS Warp Factor 7 is equal to TNG Warp Factor 5.762

TOS Warp Factor 8 is equal to TNG Warp Factor 6.498

TOS Warp Factor 9 is equal to TNG Warp Factor 7.225

TOS Warp Factor 10 is equal to TNG Warp Factor 7.943

TOS Warp Factor 11 is equal to TNG Warp Factor 8.655

then the other way:

TNG Warp Factor 2 is equal to TOS Warp Factor 2.160

TNG Warp Factor 3 is equal to TOS Warp Factor 3.389

TNG Warp Factor 4 is equal to TOS Warp Factor 4.666

TNG Warp Factor 5 is equal to TOS Warp Factor 5.979

TNG Warp Factor 6 is equal to TOS Warp Factor 7.322

TNG Warp Factor 7 is equal to TOS Warp Factor 8.690

TNG Warp Factor 8 is equal to TOS Warp Factor 10.079

TNG Warp Factor 9 is equal to TOS Warp Factor 11.489

So, when the original Enterprise travels at "Warp 11" in The Changeling and By Any Other Name, in TNG terms, it isn't even travelling Warp 9!

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be possible to continue past TNG Warp 9, as the maths gets fudged after that.

He meant off the scale as in his instruments were not sensitive enough to measure it accurately.

It couldn't have been Warp 10 (or beyond), since you would occupy every point in the universe simultaneously. This was done in Threshold, which has to be the absolute maximum.

More likely, the Enterprise was travelling at Warp 9.999999999999999999999999...

However, the Traveler was involved during that transverse. So, it's possible they broke the warp threshold but he was able to keep them from being affected.

However, the Traveler was involved during that transverse. So, it's possible they broke the warp threshold but he was able to keep them from being affected.

The idea behind warp travel is that space is that the fabric of space-time is shrunk or warped in front of the ship. The way I see it, at warp 10 the entire universe is shrunk or warped around the ship down to a singularity, allowing instantaneous travel anywhere in the universe. There would be no breaking the threshold because the universe couldn't get smaller than a singularity. In the first season TNG episode, they probably either were still on TOS scale warp or they were off the scale but still below the threshold. Geordi might have been rounding up to emphasize how quickly they were moving.

To the original Q (I'm too lazy & old to read all of the answers :P ):

In TOS, I believe the fastest warp was warp 14 ("That Which Survives"); before that, it was warp 11 ("The Changeling" "By Any Other Name").

In post TOS (TNG, DS9, VGR, ENT) the highest (I think) was TNG's "Where No One Has Gone Before" & VGR's "Threshold" (both beyond warp 10.... on the new revised warp scale, of course).

I wouldnt count Threshold's science or anything. In fact forget ever seeing it. If we go by it, we find out that next step in human evolution is a salamander, and that its perfectly safe to inject patients with anti-matter...oh that instead of ahnilating a whole deck of the ship, said antimatter de-evolves you....or rather re-evolves you (i refuse to believe we evolve into salamanders-thats utter pathedic rediculous, ludacrous bull$h!t!).

I wouldnt count Threshold's science or anything. In fact forget ever seeing it. If we go by it, we find out that next step in human evolution is a salamander, and that its perfectly safe to inject patients with anti-matter...oh that instead of ahnilating a whole deck of the ship, said antimatter de-evolves you....or rather re-evolves you (i refuse to believe we evolve into salamanders-thats utter pathedic rediculous, ludacrous bull$h!t!).

Threshold is just too stupid to be taken seriously; it's pretty much the 'Spock's Brain' of VGR, and VGR is already a punishingly stupid show already.

The more I read the "warp highway" theory developed by fans... the more I believe it to be true. Even if it was never brought up in Trek. :P

I just read about it on Trek.com (never heard of it before, frankly). It explains a lot. Especially the SS Valiant (TOS' "Where No Man..." ) reaching the edge of the galaxy only 2 years (!) after the invention of warp drive in 2063. These 'highways' sound a bit like naturally occurring slipstreams. More subtle than a wormhole or a singularity, but the same 'carpool lane' effect.

The more I read the "warp highway" theory developed by fans... the more I believe it to be true. Even if it was never brought up in Trek. :P

I just read about it on Trek.com (never heard of it before, frankly). It explains a lot. Especially the SS Valiant (TOS' "Where No Man..." ) reaching the edge of the galaxy only 2 years (!) after the invention of warp drive in 2063. These 'highways' sound a bit like naturally occurring slipstreams. More subtle than a wormhole or a singularity, but the same 'carpool lane' effect.

What is this theory?! I always wondered how the Valiant got to the edge of the galaxy, nevermind how the Botany Bay got so far. I love reading fan retcons. :D

What is this theory?! I always wondered how the Valiant got to the edge of the galaxy, nevermind how the Botany Bay got so far. I love reading fan retcons. :D

Me too! They do a better job of keeping things straight than the paid writers...

From StarTrek.com: http://www.startrek.com/boards-topic/33200950/Warp-Highways-explain-a-lot-_1111774056_33200950

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2013 at 7:46 PM, Sehlat Vie said:

I think the Enterprise hit warp 14 in the TOS episode, "That Which Survives."

Watching that episode right now...

Sign in to follow this