Sign in to follow this  
Hellfighter

Interview with Worf reveals he's working on "Captain Worf" seriers

Hammer   

I don't see it happening. I like Dorn and the Worf character, but the studio is too invested in their popcorn movie reboot to do anything more with the 'prime' timeline. Setting it in the movie timeline's future would turn the movies into prequels and tie Abrams hands with whatever cannon the new show introduces. That's the last thing they want to do now, they want JJ to have a clean slate to work with. The franchise has been declining ever since Insurrection, none of the three spinoffs got much traction, and one failed spectacularly. There's little incentive to go back to that, especially now that they have competition with Disney talking about producing a Star Wars live action TV show soon. Any new show will need to be written with the newer fanbase brought in by JJ's movies in mind. It's the only way they are going to bring in that coveted demographic. A show will probably have to wait until at least after the third JJ movie.

I like Dorn, but I don't think he is a strong enough star to carry a series. We saw what happened to DS9 and Voyager's ratings with a less established star as Captain of ship/Commander of the station.

I don't see it happening. I like Dorn and the Worf character, but the studio is too invested in their popcorn movie reboot to do anything more with the 'prime' timeline. Setting it in the movie timeline's future would turn the movies into prequels and tie Abrams hands with whatever cannon the new show introduces. That's the last thing they want to do now, they want JJ to have a clean slate to work with. The franchise has been declining ever since Insurrection, none of the three spinoffs got much traction, and one failed spectacularly. There's little incentive to go back to that, especially now that they have competition with Disney talking about producing a Star Wars live action TV show soon. Any new show will need to be written with the newer fanbase brought in by JJ's movies in mind. It's the only way they are going to bring in that coveted demographic. A show will probably have to wait until at least after the third JJ movie.

I like Dorn, but I don't think he is a strong enough star to carry a series. We saw what happened to DS9 and Voyager's ratings with a less established star as Captain of ship/Commander of the station.

If he's pitching Captain Worf as a fan film, ala Phase II or Farragut? It'll get made. Otherwise, I agree. The studio is making big bucks with Abramsverse Star Trek now, and they'd only see this as a needless look backward to the non-profitable days of Nemesis. To be honest, I'd like to see a Capt. Worf movie, even if it is just a fan film (some of those Phase II's are pretty damn good; "World Enough and Time" was nominated for a Hugo).

klwilbur   

FYI to all: Dorn was asked about this a few days ago at the Chicago convention. He said there was a brief moment where there was interest in it but that Paramount has no interest now and the project is dead.

FYI to all: Dorn was asked about this a few days ago at the Chicago convention. He said there was a brief moment where there was interest in it but that Paramount has no interest now and the project is dead.

That's depressing. I mean, Sehlat Vie gave the most obvious reason why they're probably not interested, but still...what a shame.

That's too bad. Would've been nice to see him put on the old turtle head one more time....

I saw a vid on youtube where Dorn's description of a Captain Worf series is a lot different from what has been said. He said he wanted to explore the "Klingon world" and it sounded like the focus would be Captain Worf on a Klingon ship.

Which is interesting to get a new view but...IDK.

I saw a vid on youtube where Dorn's description of a Captain Worf series is a lot different from what has been said. He said he wanted to explore the "Klingon world" and it sounded like the focus would be Captain Worf on a Klingon ship.

Personally, I've kind of had my fill of Klingons (esp. on DS9), but I would've been OK with seeing Dorn have just one more go at it... ;)

Personally, I've kind of had my fill of Klingons (esp. on DS9), but I would've been OK with seeing Dorn have just one more go at it... ;)

My sentiments exactly... I love the Klingons, but after TOS/TNG/DS9 I too am burnt out on that "world". I thought a Captain Worf series was him on a Fed. ship.

My sentiments exactly... I love the Klingons, but after TOS/TNG/DS9 I too am burnt out on that "world". I thought a Captain Worf series was him on a Fed. ship.

I imagine a low budget fan series would probably find it easier to make a mock Klingon bridge.

You could lit it fairly dark with a lot red gel lighting and hide a lot of budget restrictions. Federation ships are always so clean and hi-tech; just the working monitors alone would break a lot of fan film budgets....

Again, this might be interesting as a one-off fan film (I'd like to see Dorn do Worf one more time), but I think that I'd lose interest over time if it became a series.

Sign in to follow this