Sign in to follow this  
Hellfighter

Interview with Worf reveals he's working on "Captain Worf" seriers

Part I of the full interview here

Earlier this year, there was talk of a “Captain Worf” Star Trek project you were developing and hoping to pitch. What’s the status of that?

Dorn: I had come up with the idea because I love the character and I think he’s a character that hasn’t been fully developed and hasn’t been fully realized. Once I started thinking about it, it became obvious to me that I wanted to at least put it out there, which I have, and the response has been pretty amazing. We’ve been contacted by different individuals–I can’t say who and all that–about wanting to come on board and be part of this. Also, there’s all the political stuff going on with the new movies, with J.J. Abrams and Paramount and all that stuff, which I have no clue about and what it all entails, but that’s where it is right now.

Interestingly enough it has gotten traction. I was very surprised, I was on a movie not too long ago, where one of the producers was basically lobbying to be part of it. He was like “Michael, I’d love to write it, if you haven’t.” So at this point, my agents and my manager are looking at all the avenues and trying to figure out which is the best one. My agent and manager have been in the business for awhile, so they’re very savvy about where to start and how to get it going. Like I said, in this business you never know and I’ve been through pitching things and I never want to do that again [laughs]. It’s pretty brutal, but definitely I think once again, if Paramount or CBS or anybody thinks this is a viable thing, they’ll jump on it.

It's an interesting idea, as fans would certainly welcome a new Star Trek series. I must admit that I hadn't realized Dorn was interested in reprising the role, as he had previously indicated that he wanted to move on to other projects following Nemesis. From a plot standpoint, the writers of this series would have to provide a plausible explanation for Worf being offered a command, as his actions during "Change of Heart" seemed to eliminate that possibility. On the other hand, nothing in Star Trek is absolutely final, as any series that can bring characters back from the dead should also be able to land a Klingon in the captain's chair.

--Captain Sisko

Frontier   

I could come up with a work-around for "Change of Heart" fairly easily, lol.

I hope this happens because, I miss *my* Star Trek. 24th century. I'd like to have it back.

I could come up with a work-around for "Change of Heart" fairly easily, lol.

I hope this happens because, I miss *my* Star Trek. 24th century. I'd like to have it back.

As would I. There is still so much about the Star Trek universe that we don't know, and a new series would give us the perfect opportunity to explore these unknowns. Worf's character grew significantly during his time on Deep Space 9, but as his role in Nemesis was minimal, it was difficult to know the direction in which his career was moving. Data's death opened the door for him to become Picard's first officer, but a captaincy seemed out of reach. It would be interesting to learn about the events surrounding his promotion to captain, and to learn about his vessel and crew.

--Captain Sisko

Eleanor   

To be honest, I worry about it. The message of Star Trek has been severely diluted lately; and while I trust Dorn to execute a series well, I don't trust writers that might worm their way into such a project. My opinions on the matter are probably too impolitic, but I eagerly await CBS/Paramount's response regarding it.

To be honest, I worry about it. The message of Star Trek has been severely diluted lately; and while I trust Dorn to execute a series well, I don't trust writers that might worm their way into such a project. My opinions on the matter are probably too impolitic, but I eagerly await CBS/Paramount's response regarding it.

You're not alone. I have similar concerns about the undertaking of a new series, particularly after so many years of absolutely no televised Star Trek. The key to the success of a show will be the writers, as you pointed out. I hope that Dorn has been able to reach out to people who wrote for both The Next Generation and Deep Space 9, as these are regarded as the most well written of the four series, and Dorn has worked with many of them on more than one occasion.

--Captain Sisko

Ok, I would be lying if I said I did not slightly "geek out" at the idea of revisiting the prime time line (AKA, NOT Abramsverse) and having it star Worf. One of my favorite characters.

Having said that, like everyone else, I am hesitant on how this would be executed. Live-action? Animated? I hope it would be an actual show and not some glorified fan film (no offense to those).

How would it work though? Wasn't he on the Enterprise-E last? That's one thing I don't like about the TNG movies. They messed with Worf's DS9...ness. He left to be ambassador between the UFP and the Klingon Empire (a fitting role as he was always between those two worlds and as CBS pointed out in an above post, Worf was told by Sisko that a captaincy was likely never going to be his). Then again...I think Sisko said they PROBABLY wouldn't offer him a promotion, not definitly. But then again, I haven't seen the episode in forever.

I trust Dorn to respect the material, but I'm just worried cause old Trek is still kind of on life support. Thus, them going to the alternate verse to clean the slate. I just hope if this is done, that they're careful and make sure this Trek is very very very good. It unfortunately has to to bring Trek back.

Eleanor   

the prime time line (AKA, NOT Abramsverse)

<opinion author="Eleanor" type="personal" sub="StarTrek">

You mean the real timeline, right (Oh no she didn't)?

But yeah, I know some writers would be lazy, and let whoever owns STO now to peddle STO through the storyline (which would ruin Dorn's show). I just hope to Q that they get the original writers back and they work from original canon-abiding production notes. I know a lot of people love STO, but it's not Star Trek...

</opinion>

Edited by Eleanor

Then again...I think Sisko said they PROBABLY wouldn't offer him a promotion, not definitly. But then again, I haven't seen the episode in forever.

Correct. Sisko mentioned it as a possibility, but nothing more than that. It's entirely feasible that Worf would have been able to earn a command after serving as Enterprise first officer, and certainly having the support of Picard (*and Sisko) would work in his favor. Let's also remember that Riker was offered the Titan despite his turning down multiple commands in the past, and being involved in the USS Pegasus mutiny and cover-up.

--Captain Sisko

* = I'm operating under the assumption that Sisko, who commands USS Robinson in the Typhon Pact series, would also advocate for Worf being given a ship of his own.

Edited by Captain Benjamin Sisko

What I wouldn't give to see an animated series with the TNG crew .... It'd have to be animated these days given Frakes, Dorn and co would look a little ridiculous trying to look and act like they were 10 years younger than they are if they were to pick up at a time where Nemesis left off.

What I wouldn't give to see an animated series with the TNG crew .... It'd have to be animated these days given Frakes, Dorn and co would look a little ridiculous trying to look and act like they were 10 years younger than they are if they were to pick up at a time where Nemesis left off.

I agree. Given how Frakes looked during Nemesis, I'm not anxious to see how the past decade has treated him. An animated series is a great idea, as it would allow the actors to reprise their roles without embarrassing themselves.

--Captain Sisko

the prime time line (AKA, NOT Abramsverse)

<opinion author="Eleanor" type="personal" sub="StarTrek">

You mean the real timeline, right (Oh no she didn't)?

But yeah, I know some writers would be lazy, and let whoever owns STO now to peddle STO through the storyline (which would ruin Dorn's show). I just hope to Q that they get the original writers back and they work from original canon-abiding production notes. I know a lot of people love STO, but it's not Star Trek...

</opinion>

OOOOOOOOHHHH SNAP! lol. No, I actually agree 100% with you on that. As far as I'm concerned, the "real timeline" is the one all of us grew up with. I'm not a 100% against the new movies, but they don't hold a candle to the old Trek. /fanboy mode/

I wouldn't want Trek Online to merge with any future show. Some of it has merit, but its way too chaotic and (out of character in a lot of ways). Meh.

Both you and Captain Benjamin Sisko do raise a good point, though. If something like this were done...what is to be mentioned of the novels/games? I feel that since TNG/DS9/VOY/ENT universe Trek has gone, the novels and games have worked over time to fill in a lot of gaps. I wonder if a Worf show, say...taking place in 2390 or something...would completely ignore the books/games. They could do the fancy old cop out that all of that was an alternate universe, but IDK. I'd love for a future show to address what was never addressed in the shows. Did Bajor join the UFP? Did Sisko come back? Did Data? Did VOY's future tech. get put to good use or dismantled? etc. etc. etc. The novels/games cover it but...would the show follow that at all?

Captain Benjamin Sisko:

Good point about Sisko and Picard's recommendation's having enough weight to knock off that dark mark on Worf's record.

As for animated v. live action...to be honest, I'd prefer live action. Star wars: Clone Wars put a bad taste in my mouth of animated. While there is more freedom with animations (crazier aliens, more space battles, etc). It wouldn't be the same to me. As for Frakes and co. growing older...ok...is that bad? Patrick Stewart wasn't the youngest guy (though he was in good shape), but he pulled it off. Battlestar Galactica (blasphemy to mention it on a Trek forum I know) pulled off an older commanding officer (Adama). If Dorn is not in the best shape, the XO could fill the niche of a young atheletic fighter. That's just what I think, though.

Eleanor   

That's exactly where the issue lies, and it's the very same issue that got Enterprise into troubled waters. We, as fans, all have our own opinions on what happens after the run of a series. With DS9 and Voyager, they were merged into the chronology, something like this obviously can't be (like Enterprise) and therefore might go against our own personal beliefs regarding what ifs. As for me, there'd have to be a good reason why Bajor didn't join the Federation, and a pretty good reason for a lot of other stuff, if they decide not to go with it.

• If Bajor didn't join the Federation, because say, the planet randomly exploded (you know what I'm talking about), then we'd know it's a cop out—and the series would last maybe a few seasons before being cancelled.
  • If there's a new Enterprise-F whose mission is nothing but to avenge whatever demons Atari dreamed up, we'd know it's a cop out—and the series would last maybe a few seasons before being cancelled.
  • If the first Sovereign class was revealed to really be registered NX-73811 and later NCC-73811, I'd like it, because it makes sense, but then again I have an affection for Star Trek: Bridge Commander. You however, might not like that game along with other fans and see it as a cop out—and the series would last maybe a few seasons before being cancelled.

There's a theme emerging and it pretty much sums up my thoughts. If Dorn wants to go ahead (with Paramount's blessing, of course), then I say go for it... But he's gonna face a lot of scrutiny from the fans; more so than the TNG, DS9, and Voyager, because they didn't need to find establishment in Star Trek, they were establishment.

Edited by Eleanor

Eleanor   

Cant see worf sitting in the captain's chair,it not his style.

He seemed to suit the Captain's chair in First Contact, so I reckon it would work.

That's exactly where the issue lies, and it's the very same issue that got Enterprise into troubled waters. We, as fans, all have our own opinions on what happens after the run of a series. With DS9 and Voyager, they were merged into the chronology, something like this obviously can't be (like Enterprise) and therefore might go against our own personal beliefs regarding what ifs. As for me, there'd have to be a good reason why Bajor didn't join the Federation, and a pretty good reason for a lot of other stuff, if they decide not to go with it.

• If Bajor didn't join the Federation, because say, the planet randomly exploded (you know what I'm talking about), then we'd know it's a cop out—and the series would last maybe a few seasons before being cancelled.
  • If there's a new Enterprise-F whose mission is nothing but to avenge whatever demons Atari dreamed up, we'd know it's a cop out—and the series would last maybe a few seasons before being cancelled.
  • If the first Sovereign class was revealed to really be registered NX-73811 and later NCC-73811, I'd like it, because it makes sense, but then again I have an affection for Star Trek: Bridge Commander. You however, might not like that game along with other fans and see it as a cop out—and the series would last maybe a few seasons before being cancelled.

There's a theme emerging and it pretty much sums up my thoughts. If Dorn wants to go ahead (with Paramount's blessing, of course), then I say go for it... But he's gonna face a lot of scrutiny from the fans; more so than the TNG, DS9, and Voyager, because they didn't need to find establishment in Star Trek, they were establishment.

YES, exactly. I think people don't understand that idea. It's partially why Enterprise and the Star Wars Prequels got a lot of flack (amongst other reasons). A lot of people have had time to think up how the UFP started (or how the Jedi/Old Republic fell). So when ENT didn't match up to their ideas, it got a lot of crap for it.

Although what you are postulating is the reverse. Instead of the past, we've had a lot of time to think about the future. AKA what happened to these characters/worlds/etc. since the shows ended. If a show is done in the prime time line and takes places years after Nemesis (or maybe even years after Romulus goes bye-bye) then...there is a lot of universe (re)building to be done. And if it doesn't match what a lot of us (or at least the more unreasonable elements in fandom) thought then the show may get a lot crap for that.

A part of me wonders if they will even address a lot of the points that fans wonder about... Maybe they'll play it safe and address what only needs to be for the show...

Eleanor   

That's just it. Romulus is fine, nothing happened. All okay over here. Nothing to see in the Beta Quadrant... My position on "Starrrr Trek: The Movie"... If they did do the Romulus exploding thing Star Trek would flatline for me. I'd label it a sell out and move on.

That's just it. Romulus is fine, nothing happened. All okay over here. Nothing to see in the Beta Quadrant... My position on "Starrrr Trek: The Movie"... If they did do the Romulus exploding thing Star Trek would flatline for me. I'd label it a sell out and move on.

This summarizes my feelings, as well. I would prefer that any new television series ignores the events of the most recent movie, or at least finds a way to suitably explain the divergence between this universe and that created by others.

--Mr. Spock

Unfortunately, Romulus blowing up is "canon" in the sense that it happened in the prime time line. So I don't think they'd ignore that. Otherwise...they'd have to explain just what the hell happened. Spock left the prime time line amidst the ruins of Romulus.

At least...I think he did. All these alternate time lines are getting confusing to me. My impression was he was Spock from the original time line, but IDK. It's been a while since I've seen that movie.

THEN AGAIN....Trek has ignored previous series before to just move on with the story they wanna tell (Trlls anyone?). So maybe you they will ignore everything involved with Abrams' movie. The one plus side is at least the prime time line gets Spock back. Ugh at the idea of him staying in some alternate universe...

So it would be prefered that Abrams' movie is simply ignored altogether in a future series? Hmmmm interesting. Personally, I didn't mind Romulus blowing up that much (ok maybe a little...). The plot line was slowly getting repetative that the Romulans hate the UFP and vice versa. Although...maybe THAT much of a shake up wasn't needed (not to mention a Romulan-UFP peace based off of an important world an an empire blowing up wreaks of ripping off of Undiscovered Country with Praxis). And I will agree that I didn't like the destruction of Romulus just for the sake of kicking off the plot of the new Trek movie. What a waste. They should have just said it was an alternate universe and thats it. Oh well....different topic for a different time...

For all we know a Worf series may take place before that... IDK. I'd prefer it take place last decade of the 24th century to kind of clear the dust of TNG/DS9/VOY and start fresh, but not being so far from those events that we don't get to see a bit of the fall out.

Eleanor   

I dunno. That's where I'm divided. Anything in the new movie, I don't personally care for—it's a movie to me (albeit a good one), but as far as I'm concerned, it doesn't affect the primeline (you heard that here first XD) if you ignore the new movie altogether.

As far as people telling me I shouldn't ignore it, I consider it a bit of a kick in the face. You know sort of like "the last 46 years were just a dream", or "it didn't happen, really". An alternate universe would have worked for me entirely. In fact, who's to say that the blown-up-Romulus wasn't a Romulus from one of those parallel universes in the TNG episode, "Parallels"? A bit of fankery right there for ya'.

I think if it took place before the setting of the new movie, they could avoid it. But that carries the dangers of them blowing up Romulus as a series finalé for the hell of it. Q knows that Worf might be okay with that.

Edited by Eleanor

I dunno. That's where I'm divided. Anything in the new movie, I don't personally care for—it's a movie to me (albeit a good one), but as far as I'm concerned, it doesn't affect the primeline (you heard that here first XD) if you ignore the new movie altogether.

As far as people telling me I shouldn't ignore it, I consider it a bit of a kick in the face. You know sort of like "the last 46 years were just a dream", or "it didn't happen, really". An alternate universe would have worked for me entirely. In fact, who's to say that the blown-up-Romulus wasn't a Romulus from one of those parallel universes in the TNG episode, "Parallels"? A bit of fankery right there for ya'.

I think if it took place before the setting of the new movie, they could avoid it. But that carries the dangers of them blowing up Romulus as a series finalé for the hell of it. Q knows that Worf might be okay with that.

Oh well, I'm not saying necessarily you shouldn't ignore it or anything. I just wondered aloud if they would see it as canon as it supposedly happened in the primeverse. (I'm assuming that Dorn is pushing for a show in the Trek he's been a part of. Not a 24th century version of Abramsverse *shudders*)

But I do like the idea of simply saying that it was an alternate verse from the get go and Spock/Nero altered the history of that universe. Not the one we all grew up with.

There was talks of another show (again in the prime time line). IDK what happened to it. I think they were going to ignore the events of the movie.

Oh well, I'm not saying necessarily you shouldn't ignore it or anything. I just wondered aloud if they would see it as canon as it supposedly happened in the primeverse. (I'm assuming that Dorn is pushing for a show in the Trek he's been a part of. Not a 24th century version of Abramsverse *shudders*)

But I do like the idea of simply saying that it was an alternate verse from the get go and Spock/Nero altered the history of that universe. Not the one we all grew up with.

There was talks of another show (again in the prime time line). IDK what happened to it. I think they were going to ignore the events of the movie.

As Dorn said in the interview, he has no clue what's the new movies are all about, so I'd say we're safe with it being in what we would call the accepted timeline.

Eleanor   

24th century version of Abramsverse

I see. Wow... What would that be like? Would humans even have skin anymore, or would our epidermis have evolved into chrome painted plastic? Would tricorders be made from brushed aluminum and sport an Apple logo? Or would apples have also evolved to have chrome painted plastic skins... I'll bet that by that time, everyone might be blind, and that by that point, humans would be highly capitalistic...

Anyone think I'm being too hard? http://en.memory-alp...e_%28alt%29.jpg

It looks so, so cheap, I expect a Megazord to break through the bulkhead... I know, I'm sorry.

Edited by Eleanor

As Dorn said in the interview, he has no clue what's the new movies are all about, so I'd say we're safe with it being in what we would call the accepted timeline.

HAH! Really? That actually amuses me... Good to know the actors don't really care for it.

Actually, all this talk of a character making his own captain show reeks of Takei pushing for a Sulu as captain show. I don't know if he was actively trying to make it or it was all talk but I have a bad feeling Dorn's idea may go the same route...

Eleanor:

That is a sad pic. I think it sums up the new movie nicely.

Problem is you can't ignore the fact that Romulus is gone. Every licensed source of soft canon has accepted it and added it into thier story line, it is part of the prime universe timeline. From the Novels to Star Trek Online, Romulus was destroyed, and Spock went missing. TBH, I'd rather have Romulus gone than Vulcan.

If there's a new Enterprise-F whose mission is nothing but to avenge whatever demons Atari dreamed up, we'd know it's a cop out—and the series would last maybe a few seasons before being cancelled.

A little behind the times, are we? Atari hasn't owned STO for a year and a half now. They sold it to Perfect World before the "F" was released.

Edited by maximus92

Sign in to follow this