Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Abawell

New game project: KlingonWars

7 posts in this topic

Hi everyone.

I'm a iPhone/iPad developer and a Star trek fan too.

When I was young, I was playing with AppleTrek on my Apple ][e.

Maybe other fans also know this game.

I'm developing a remake of this game for iPad. New interface (LCARS), animations etc...

I think it could be finished in one or two months.

it's name, KlingonWars.

My problem is, If I'm a good programer (I think ;) ) I'm not a great designer, and sound maker.

As I don't want any copyright problems with CBS, I don't want use any star trek movie sounds or pictures.

So, this is a call to anyone who could help me to:

- Create a great icon for the game.

- create sounds for the phaser, the torpedo shot, the explosion of the klingon ships, the space storm, and some computer sounds.

If you can help me, or know someone which could help me, please contact me.

Thanks.

This are some photoshop pre-project copies. Here is what it will look like when it will be finished. For now, all the background, the galaxy representation, the quadrant, the status and most of the game logic are coded. Still all commands to code.

KlingonWars1.png

KlingonWars2.png

Many of the texts are in french because the game will be available in english and french, and french words are often longer.

You'll have to check if you can even use the word Klingon, or pictures of the USS Enterprise / Klingon ships, or LCARS... If it's a free app you might get away with it, but it still might not get approved by Apple.

I have submitted the question to CBS and I am waiting for their answer.

I seem to remember a few years ago a group of people who were involved in modding Star Trek: Birth of the Federation and then went on to write a sequel to the game, (called Birth of the Empires) starting from the ground up to make the game more challenging and improve the AI among other things.

They ended up having to remove every single reference to anything from Star Trek due to copyright issues, even though it was a not for profit project. That said, anyone competent in the game's coding could surreptitiously put that all back in so long as it was for personal use and in now way distributed it to other gamers.

All said and done though, I wish you luck Abawell

Personally, I've never had any problems developing LCARS apps, but it's probably down to the freeware aspects of my projects. That said, with regards to your reluctance to use actual audio samples, wouldn't make much difference if you did in the scheme of things. CBS have pulled apps for just using an LCARS UI. Then there's the ones that get pulled for using property names like the names "LCARS", and "Star Trek" for example. If your intent is marketing a product for sale, you will need applicable licensing from CBS. If you don't get licensing, it probably will get pulled. If you intend to release it as a free app, you might be okay. It's a legal vacuum, really. Paramount have rarely made public statements regarding the issue and the only legal standing you could have lies with Jennifer Granick. And that's not even close to a rule. Besides, CBS are not Paramount, their attitude will differ. But, bear in mind, CBS are still people, and they're pretty reasonable. I know from experience, if you approach them in good faith, they'll respond in kind.

Hope it helps.

Further reading:

http://www.wired.com/politics/law/news/1997/10/7564

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek_fan_productions#Legal_issues

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0