Sign in to follow this  
rta-man

The Beer Thread

Okay, I live in Saint Louis, which as you can guess is pretty much dominated by Anheiser-Busch products. But I do like beer made by other local breweries, namely Lemp Brewery,and Flying Saucer Draught Emporium.

Edited by Anime Trekker

scenario   

On the rare occasion that I drink beer, I prefer ale. When I get the chance I drink beer from local breweries. I stay in New Hampshire once in a while and I drink Tuckermans ale when I have the urge to drink.  They have a local brewery in town so its fresh. 

rta-man   

I'm a huge beer drinker (d'uh, I'm German, right?), as I'm not so fond of wine... the acid in wine gives me heartburn and sometimes messes with my stomach, so beer it is.

That said, to avoid too much alcohol intake, I mostly limit myself to alcohol free beer. That's not too bad, because they make really good and even tasty alcohol free brands.

I heard beer is a tricky thing in the US; most commercial mass market beers are allegedly very bad. A good friend of mine who spent two months in California recently, told me Americans have the strange habit of drinking water out of beer cans. And you even get a headache from it, although you hardly notice any alcohol in it. ;)

So I guess that explains the craft beer trend in America.

I'm lucky, because basically all German commercial beers are craft beers, according to the American definition. So you get good beer over here in any supermarket, or even in small 24/7 shops.

The last (few) beer(s) I had:

EXGJGK0DH97MP8A8Q7RFV6OQ_999x999.jpg

Jever Fun, an alcohol free pilsener (the original variant has around 5% alc).

It's an especially tart pils, due to an extra amount of hops. The brewery is situated in the East Frisian (north-west Germany) town Jever. Like pils in general, it's a common variant in north Germany.

I heard beer is a tricky thing in the US; most commercial mass market beers are allegedly very bad. A good friend of mine who spent two months in California recently, told me Americans have the strange habit of drinking water out of beer cans. And you even get a headache from it, although you hardly notice any alcohol in it. ;)

I lived for 4 years in (West) Germany (1981-85) and absolutely loved the beer.  In fact, my hobby was collecting the beer labels and putting them in photo albums.  Recently, I selected my favorites and framed them.

DSCN0084.thumb.JPG.84482a9ccbc221bb56524

In fact right now, I'm enjoying a Bitburger.

DSCN0083.thumb.JPG.f493e6fb2f45d931f9d18

It sounds like your friend was only exposed to American 'macro' beer.  I believe his experience was with either Budweiser or Bud Light.  Bud Light is the largest selling beer in the US, and I've heard it referred to as adult Sprite (soda).  I've also heard that Budweiser beers give some people headaches.  It's true that US mass market beers have no taste; but this definitely doesn't explain the craft beer trend.  I know what good German beer tastes like.  You just need to know which US craft beers are comparable.  If your friend ever goes back to California, let me know.  I'll recommend a good lager or ale, whichever style he prefers.

Anime Trekker, it's good that you found good local breweries in St. Louis.  Since St Louis is the home of Anheuser-Busch, Bud Light dominates the city.

scenario, you're fortunate to live in New England.  The majority of the best beer in the US is brewed in either New England or Oregon.  Smuttynose is one of the best breweries in NH.  I highy recommend any ale from Rock Art.  Their brewery is in VT and is widely distributed throughout New England.  Particularly, I suggest their Ridge Runner -- a Barley Wine style ale.

Sim   

I lived for 4 years in (West) Germany (1981-85) and absolutely loved the beer.  In fact, my hobby was collecting the beer labels and putting them in photo albums.  Recently, I selected my favorites and framed them.

Wow, you've quite a collection there! :)

I see some regional specialties there, such as south German Weißbier (wheat beer) or Düsseldorf Alt. Bockbier is especially strong, isn't it? And with Schultheiss, you've got a Berlin brand, too. :)

Incidentally, I had a Bitburger too today, just the alcohol free variant ("Bitburger 0,0%"). Plus a Schöfferhofer Hefeweizen alcohol free. Believe it or not, but the alcohol free brands have really become tasty in the past decade. ;)

It sounds like your friend was only exposed to American 'macro' beer.  I believe his experience was with either Budweiser or Bud Light.  Bud Light is the largest selling beer in the US, and I've heard it referred to as adult Sprite (soda).  I've also heard that Budweiser beers give some people headaches.  It's true that US mass market beers have no taste; but this definitely doesn't explain the craft beer trend.  I know what good German beer tastes like.  You just need to know which US craft beers are comparable.  If your friend ever goes back to California, let me know.  I'll recommend a good lager or ale, whichever style he prefers.

Yes, that's what she (female friend) did. Her American boyfriend was more into whiskey, so he apparently didn't have craft beer available for her, just the mass market brands.

I was under the impression that craft beer and microbreweries have become so popular in the US, just because the mass market brands are of such a bad quality.

Somewhere, I read that it's actually true that by the official American definition of a "microbrewery" (only a certain amount of peer per month is produced), basically all German breweries, including the large ones, are, in fact, microbreweries. ;)

So I guess I just be glad of what I have; some Germans nevertheless keep complaining about the handful of bigger breweries having destroyed even smaller, local brands and traditions. But then, this perhaps goes back to the "Reinheitsgebot" of 1516. ;)

rta-man   

Wow, you've quite a collection there! :)

I see some regional specialties there, such as south German Weißbier (wheat beer) or Düsseldorf Alt. Bockbier is especially strong, isn't it? And with Schultheiss, you've got a Berlin brand, too. :)

Somewhere, I read that it's actually true that by the official American definition of a "microbrewery" (only a certain amount of peer per month is produced), basically all German breweries, including the large ones, are, in fact, microbreweries. ;)

So I guess I just be glad of what I have; some Germans nevertheless keep complaining about the handful of bigger breweries having destroyed even smaller, local brands and traditions. But then, this perhaps goes back to the "Reinheitsgebot" of 1516. ;)

If a boyfriend knows his German girlfriend likes beer, he should've went out of his way and stocked up on the beer she likes, plus picked out some other brands of the same style for her to try.  He sounds like a one-sided boyfriend.

Bud Light is the largest selling beer in the US because the majority of beer drinkers just want to get drunk and have a good time.  Anheuser-Busch spends millions of dollars marketing it as the best beer to drink to have a good time.  The marketing has paid off.  Most US micro-breweries are definitey comparable to German breweries.

The Reinheitsgebot is the basis for good beer, only four ingredients, and no adjuncts allowed.  As a result, Germany is known for the best beer in the world.

One great beer I remember was Budweiser Budvar brewed in Budweis, in the Czech Republic.  I bought it when I lived in Buedingen, Germany (notice the last label in the 4th row).  Up until 2007, Anheuser-Busch fought the import of the beer by claiming trademark infringement.  It's now available in the US, but re-labeled as Czechvar.

I'm a huge beer drinker (d'uh, I'm German, right?), as I'm not so fond of wine... the acid in wine gives me heartburn and sometimes messes with my stomach, so beer it is.

That said, to avoid too much alcohol intake, I mostly limit myself to alcohol free beer. That's not too bad, because they make really good and even tasty alcohol free brands.

I'm lucky, because basically all German commercial beers are craft beers, according to the American definition. So you get good beer over here in any supermarket, or even in small 24/7 shops.

The last (few) beer(s) I had:

EXGJGK0DH97MP8A8Q7RFV6OQ_999x999.jpg

Jever Fun, an alcohol free pilsener (the original variant has around 5% alc).

It's an especially tart pils, due to an extra amount of hops. The brewery is situated in the East Frisian (north-west Germany) town Jever. Like pils in general, it's a common variant in north Germany.

Anime Trekker, it's good that you found good local breweries in St. Louis.  Since St Louis is the home of Anheuser-Busch, Bud Light dominates the city.

scenario, you're fortunate to live in New England.  The majority of the best beer in the US is brewed in either New England or Oregon.  Smuttynose is one of the best breweries in NH.  I highy recommend any ale from Rock Art.  Their brewery is in VT and is widely distributed throughout New England.  Particularly, I suggest their Ridge Runner -- a Barley Wine style ale.

I prefer Busch beer.

rta-man   

I'm loving the Star Trek 50th Golden Anniversary Ale from Shmaltz Brewing, Clifton Park, NY.  It has a smooth malt flavor.  I need another growler of this!

DSCN3740.JPG

kenman   

Weird to see this thread tonight, because I had a thought about a beer I was having and now I see a forum to unleash the random thought! Grabbed a Corona out of the fridge (bought em for my wife for our bonfire from a few weeks ago, and since we still had some leftover, I thought...why not?)  and I came to the conclusion that the "Extra" in "Corona Extra" is possibly cigarette butts.  That beer really tastes like a bar!

rta-man   

Corona is a Mexican-style lager.  I believe you'd also like a German-style lager.  The Munich breweries are good and should be available where you buy beer (Hacker Pschorr, Hofbräu, Paulaner, Spaten).  Two others I highly recommend are Veltins Pilsner and Ayinger Jahrhundert.  Jack's Abbey is a German-style brewery out of Framingham, MA.  They've been expanding their distribution area and might be available in OH.

If you can find any of these German lagers where you're at, I guarantee you won't be disappointed.  Just keep in mind that the Oktoberfest beers are widely available right now.  Oktoberfest is a separate style.  If you're not used to the malty flavor, start with the lagers first.

kenman   

I do like a lager, or an amber beer. I tend to like red beers the best. I'm not really one for Corona on the whole. 

brett   

yay beer!

i live in south carolina and we have a ton of local brewers. i haven't even gotten around to trying them all yet. we also have an awesome brewpub, hunter gatherer, that offers cask ales and will soon open a new place to bottle beers in.

we had to do some law tweaking here to get things where they are. a long history of "blue laws" (jesus doesn't want you to buy anything fun on sundays) to pull back. when i was a kid the laws were crazy. you could buy a muffin tin on sunday but not a cookie sheet. you couldn't buy toys on sunday...

we just got the ability to buy beer at all on sunday in my county a few years ago. it didn't stop people from buying beer. they just drove accross the river from west columbia to columbia and bought it.

here are some beers you should try if you can get em. remember beer is food. old food is bad. old food in a bad container (corona) tastes really bad.

Highland brewing in asheville nc is good stuff.

-highland oatmeal porter.

-highland gaelic ale.

-highland kasmir I.P.A.

Palmetto brewing in charleston sc is also good.

-Huger street I.P.A.

-Espresso porter (one of the best coffee beers i have had)

someone mentioned dogfish head.

-Dogfish head 60 minute I.P.A. is absolutely outstanding. one of the best beers i have had ever.

i just came back from iceland. GO TO ICELAND!

had some good beers there. Viking Gylltur was a good lager style beer. Thule was excellent. didn't care for the Gull. it is kinda looked at as the official beer of iceland but it tasted like old miller highlife and only has 2.25% abv. (what are we doing that for?)

overall i was surprised by how similar to japanese beers they tasted. good rice and grain flavors.

i am going to seek out some Thule here at home. that was really good stuff.

i have a "romulan ale" beer at home a friend gave me. i will never open it. it looks like it has gold flecks floating around in it.

drink up kids!

b.

Edited by brett

rta-man   

yay beer!

My sentiments exactly.  You should drink the Romulan Ale and celebrate it.  Never let good beer go to waste.

Anime Trekker, "Peach Mango Juice mixed with Peach flavored Vodka" sounds interesting.  Do you keep the vodka in the freezer?  I heard that makes it taste even better.

yay beer!

My sentiments exactly.  You should drink the Romulan Ale and celebrate it.  Never let good beer go to waste.

Anime Trekker, "Peach Mango Juice mixed with Peach flavored Vodka" sounds interesting.  Do you keep the vodka in the freezer?  I heard that makes it taste even better.

No because I don't have room in the freezer! But I do add huge chunks of ice to the drink (I put it in a big cup).

Sign in to follow this