Sign in to follow this  
Virogen

Where did everyone go?

Virogen   

Things have trailed right off here and I'm just wondering if it's because people overall use message boards less in favor of other social networking, or if people are just posting on different boards? If you post at another board now, which one is it?

Scotty   

I have been wondering this for a while now myself. Perhaps we need to get these people back on this site? Not everyone goes to boards these days, though we no Star Trek for the last 10 years, besides a movie there would be nothing really to talk about. I look at the posts now days rather than reply.

I don't go on another forum but I don't tend to post on here that much. As Scotty said as there's no new ST there's not so much to talk about. I don't watch repeats as often as I used to either. I still have a look most days to see what's going on.

I'm still here. I don't frequent other forums all that much. One of my former haunts closed down a couple months ago due to the webmaster getting a new job that prevented them from keeping up with the site, and no one stepped forward to take over.

I think in this case it's kind of a calm before the storm, what with the upcoming Trek movie. I'm kind of hoping the new movie brings in new people (and more interesting stuff to talk about, good or bad). I don't know if we've all run out of things to talk about, or what. But hopefully we'll be back in the swing of things once the new movie comes out. I know I've got my doubts about it, but if it means bringing on more fans and more activity here, so be it.

Nobody posts in the Church or Ten Forward Lounge anymore, and I haven't seen much activity in the RP section either. There haven't been too many spammers this past month either...it's been pretty quiet here, no doubt about that. I don't do a lot of social networking when it comes to fan-related stuff; I prefer message boards to facebooking.

maneth   

Some other boards I frequent are as active as ever, others aren't. The ST boards I know of are all rather quiet. The new film hasn't generated much interest yet, and with no show on the air, it's normal things are quiet.

rta-man   

This is the only board I frequent.

There are some blog posts in reply to tosgraphics' The "PC" Props of Star Trek TOS series, but nothing in the forums.

I still pop my head in here though these days I post in the episode discussion threads more than anywhere else. I haven't written any fan fiction for well over a year now so I've not been posting in there.

Scotty   

Maybe its time we revamped the board to make it more open to other stuff apart from Star Trek? Still have the Trekcoe site, but a revamp of making it more open to other fan bases. Perhaps try to get more members posting here. Again, it is summer people are on holiday, doing other things. It is fathers day in the UK so thats another thing.

Aside from an RPG site I have been a member of for 11 years, this is the only Trek forum I still visit.

Most of my time is spent either working on my own site, or a Playstation 3 Trophies site that I am an admin of....I very rarely get time for much else these days (unless I am sneaking online at work like I am now! lol)

Trek boards in general are rather quiet at the moment. I'm still here, of course, but my work demands a lot of my attention these days.

Benedict   

I'm working now but tend to go to other non-Trek sites when I am about. My principal use for the forum in the old days was fan fiction and at best at the moment I'm doing a chapter at work. What with slackening enthusiasm for the whole process, with people that used to read and comment long gone, I seem to not bother much around the sector alas. If anything's to be revamped the editing of the profile for hyperlinks :) Seems before the last change I was able to do the tag thing enter text and no problem but now if I do it or try to use the 'toggle editor' I have to start all over again and alas I tend to use my profile to keep a track of all the wasted social enterprises I mean fanfic :)

That's my dollars worth.

Mishi   

I wish I knew...

This is the only trek site I frequent and actually post in. My personal posting activity for all the forums I visit has dropped drastically in recent years, so it's across all sites for me, not just the OS. I guess part of it has to do with making friends on forums, and then they leave or get bored with the site (I don't know). I just know that I tend to turn into a lurker when my friends no longer post much.

I haven't really branched out to new forum sites because it is extremely hard to find warm, welcoming communities like this one (and the ones at the other sites I still visit).

I haven't been here in awhile because I'm sorta not coming here so often anymore...it seems that we pretty much discussed everything (once in awhile there would be a question about something in trek general or any of the trek series forums) including all the crazy poll threadsI made lol There hasn't been really any thing new to discuss :P

The activity for this board used to be really high when it first opened in late fall 2005...activity sorta started to fall a bit by 2008 or 2009. Seems that most of the past very active members have moved on with their busy life.

Edited by JayTheTrekkie

Sam   

Speaking as someone who was super obsessively active three years ago and then trailed off - for me it was work that got it the way.

I tend now to stick to social networking that doesn't require me to read through a lot of messages. Short, sharp networking as it were such as Twitter and Facebook.

But all that said I do miss these boards - hence me popping my head in now :)

Tom   

The 2 main issues are social networks like Facebook have put a dent in forum activity and also Star Trek in general is currently not a hot area. If there were a tv show on the air it may be a little better. Trekunited is also very slow as well. trekbbs is doing ok and specialty forums like trekpropzone seem to be doing ok .

The only thing i have trouble with here is the default color scheme, I find the white fonts tough to read, i have to use the IP Board skin, but thats just me :)

Another idea (and please dont kill me for saying..), is to drop the theomegasector.com name and put the forum under the trekcore.com domain so everything is Trekcore. This with help with SEO related issues and keep things more homogenized and simple.

There are some other ideas i have that i will talk to Mike and Adam about at some point.

i can find stuff from different trek websites or other websites to post here. & I promise that I will try to find the origonal website to use , not the same one for more than one artical..

Another thing we need Members, mod ect to find new stuff to post here at the o.s.to keep people intrested in the omega sector that can be another reason why we are slow.this happens on other trek bbs not just this one.

plus their is nothing new out about the new movie trek2 due out next may just wait it will pick up whenthe trailer comes out or new news surfaces, besides it summer people want to do things when its nice outside, hopefully it will pick up here in the fall.

yes i go on a couple of social networks like twitter & facebook but i also belong to nine other trek bbs& visit them more than once a day or when i can.

Edited by captain spock

Eleanor   

Things have trailed right off here and I'm just wondering if it's because people overall use message boards less in favor of other social networking, or if people are just posting on different boards?

Social networks.

I recently set up a forum and pretty much nobody uses it. The Facebook Page on the otherhand is going well. I guess Facebook have the added convenience of sharing with people outside the Page, and new interest develops quickly too. People on Facebook that 'Like' a page on Star Trek. Then, their 'Liking' activity is shared in the newsfeed of their friends. And Star Trek fans have friends thhat are also Star Trek fans, they think, "I like Star Trek too"—'Like'. Forums don't have that. No one thinks "I should post this forum to my wall." If the admin is lucky, they might Tweet something once in a while.

I dunno. To be honest, I think forums are on their way out. Especially the nonspecialized forums. I guess people think "why should I register when I can use their Facebook?" I hope I'm wrong though. I still enjoy forums.

Edited by Eleanor

Dillkid   

I recently set up a forum and pretty much nobody uses it. The Facebook Page on the otherhand is going well. I guess Facebook have the added convenience of sharing with people outside the Page, and new interest develops quickly too. People on Facebook that 'Like' a page on Star Trek. Then, their 'Liking' activity is shared in the newsfeed of their friends. And Star Trek fans have friends thhat are also Star Trek fans, they think, "I like Star Trek too"—'Like'. Forums don't have that. No one thinks "I should post this forum to my wall." If the admin is lucky, they might Tweet something once in a while.

I dunno. To be honest, I think forums are on their way out. Especially the nonspecialized forums. I guess people think "why should I register when I can use their Facebook?" I hope I'm wrong though. I still enjoy forums.

All other forums I'm a member of are always buzzing with activity, though none of them are specifically for Star Trek. The forums on the official Star Trek site seem to be buzzing with activity, so maybe people just aren't finding this place? I don't have a clue about website designing or anything like that, perhaps it's because of the name not being related to Trek Core? I like Facebook, though don't use it nearly as much as forums. It's not the same at all, you can't discuss things on there.

Edited by Dillkid

Artemis   

If Trek is the only thing people here truly have in common then that's part of it...there is nothing new in Trek. People move on to the other s/n sites or what-have-you to share other interests in or just get busy otherwise. We are all getting older too.

This is an unfortunate "phenomena" I've noticed in Trek forums over the past few years. I used to frequent another Trek forum and it too eventually just died.

People in this topic hit the nail in the head on this biggest reason: no new trek. With no shows and only one movie (that came out in 2009), there is nothing left to say sadly. I mean, technically, we all could talk about the books but it doesn't look like everyone reads them (and most see them as glorified fan fiction). And I guess people have gotten tired asking about the old shows. Star Trek does badly need a "renaissance" though.

Although I noticed some people mention something that kind of bothered me, and no offense to all, but it does contribute to the decline in the forums. I have noticed that people do frequen the site...but they don't post or reply to any topics. I have made topics in the past and noticed that I got dozens upon dozens of views...and not a single reply (or only one reply). Ever since then, I haven't really made a topic. What's the point if it doesn't generate a discussion. If people do have the time, people should reply to each other's posts. Kind of generate some fun discussions here.

Personally, I disappeared for a bit because the site had some down time (that was a while back). Others might have left when that occurred. IDK.

Then of course, the added problem of life. :P it gets in the way at times. People just get super busy. I started a new job a month ago and that has taken up so much time. I finally have time this weekend to jump back in.

Nemesis   

Don't forget that when these forums game online all more than a decade ago, or longer... a lot of people have grown older and life is changed.

People who were working than, are now retired. People who went to school, now work and live together.

This is combination with no new trek.. as mentioned a lot above, means little new people.. and those "old" people leave one by one..

All though this was never my number one forum (i'm on a dutch Star Trek Forum) you see it everywhere.

I also can see it in my visitors count of my website. It went from 40 to 50 people a day back to only 10 people a day.

i come here every day look for threds to reply to on the O.S. .. yes I know theres nothing new on trek2. its a bummer .. Ive have asked bob orci on twitter about when the trailer will be out... still waiting for an answer .

Join the club the founder it bothers me when no one replys to my threads, alot of member look but still dont reply to my threads. i'm asking my self why contune to post stuff when no one replys to what i post.

yes alot of members here are busy with other things, we have a life work ,school. ect.. nemesis as the Old saying goe's "we are not getting old we are getting better" .

Edited by captain spock