Sign in to follow this  
Fish1941

How Would You Improve Next Generation?

I would not moon over him, I'd simply ask him out and be done with it. :P Same goes for how Pulaski would handle it. She's the direct type as well. But then, yes, if I ask him out, NO ONE else will dare do the same ever again. Preciousssss Jean-Luc is preciousssss.

:laugh:

Even though I'd hate to see anyone move in on your man ( :biggrin: ), I think Pulaski could've taught Jean Luc a thing or two... ;)

Nothing I could NOT teach him, though. :P

But still, Picard/Pulaski is fine in my book. Theoretically. :P

I think you and I are the only Pulaski fans on site, aren't we? :vulcan:

We are pretty much the only ones in the entire FANDOM. There are a few others here and there, but for most Pulaski simply wasn't "attractive enough" (I fail to see what's more attractive about Crusher or what's attractive AT ALL about Crusher, but that might just be me, I'd prefer Pulaski over Crusher ANY day) but, what's an even more important reason and also a rather big myth is that she "hated Data". She didn't hate Data. She was mean to him in EXACTLY three episodes at the beginning of season 2, but that was enough for the rabid Data fangirls to hate her the way they do. And well, there are a LOT of rabid Data fangirls. What they all overlook is that Pulaski and Data became FRIENDS rather quickly, but then, it was too late, the fangirls had already made up their minds I guess.

Hammer   

We are pretty much the only ones in the entire FANDOM. There are a few others here and there, but for most Pulaski simply wasn't "attractive enough" (I fail to see what's more attractive about Crusher or what's attractive AT ALL about Crusher, but that might just be me, I'd prefer Pulaski over Crusher ANY day) but, what's an even more important reason and also a rather big myth is that she "hated Data". She didn't hate Data. She was mean to him in EXACTLY three episodes at the beginning of season 2, but that was enough for the rabid Data fangirls to hate her the way they do. And well, there are a LOT of rabid Data fangirls. What they all overlook is that Pulaski and Data became FRIENDS rather quickly, but then, it was too late, the fangirls had already made up their minds I guess.

Muldaur was quite attractive in Return to Tomorrow and Is There in Truth No Beauty?, but for some reason she looked older than 50 in TNG second season. Was she a heavy smoker? Maybe it was just a dated hairstyle? I don't know, it's hard for me to put my finger on what it was.

I wasn't put off by her attitude towards Data because I felt sorry for Data, it's because it was a re-tread of Spock vs McCoy, except it was one-sided, which came off the wrong way and first impressions stick. I just thought it was a mistake to go that route.

Just because Dr Crusher was not well written or McFadden not good for the show *cough* not the greatest actor *cough*, it doesn't mean Muldaur as Pulaski would have been the right choice. She would have been 63 when Nemesis was filmed, and Muldaur retired from acting in 1993. That's not the demographic the studios are going after for a sci-fi movie.

Muldaur was quite attractive in Return to Tomorrow and Is There in Truth No Beauty?, but for some reason she looked older than 50 in TNG second season. Was she a heavy smoker? Maybe it was just a dated hairstyle? I don't know, it's hard for me to put my finger on what it was.

I wasn't put off by her attitude towards Data because I felt sorry for Data, it's because it was a re-tread of Spock vs McCoy, except it was one-sided, which came off the wrong way and first impressions stick. I just thought it was a mistake to go that route.

Just because Dr Crusher was not well written or McFadden not good for the show *cough* not the greatest actor *cough*, it doesn't mean Muldaur as Pulaski would have been the right choice. She would have been 63 when Nemesis was filmed, and Muldaur retired from acting in 1993. That's not the demographic the studios are going after for a sci-fi movie.

The Pulaski-Data 'conflict' didn't last the entire season (Mr Picard was right; it only lasted 3 episodes or so), so it was no more a retread than to say "Naked Now" was indicative of how TNG was only a remake of TOS. The only reason McFadden came back was (apparently) because Stewart (for reasons I can't fathom) wanted her back...

As for Muldaur being 63 when Nemesis was filmed? So what? Patrick Stewart was 62. Shatner was 63 when he did "Generations" (and he had a LOT of action scenes, too; as did Stewart in Nemesis). The argument that a 63 yr old woman couldn't cut it in an action movie is sexism AND ageism nonsense. And I don't recall Gates McFadden having any difficult action scenes in that movie to contend with in Nemesis anyway, so I imagine Muldaur would've been fine. I don't buy into the myth that people over 60 are suddenly incapable of being attractive, somehow (especially since I'm a fortysomething myself... :biggrin: )

I agree that maybe her hairstyle in season 2 wasn't so great, but she still looked terrific, IMO. And her hairstyle wasn't ANY worse than this.... :laugh:

evolution066.jpg

The Pulaski vs. Data thing lasts exactly three episodes. I counted them. I mean Data hardly would have invited her to his farewell party in "The Measure Of A Man" if he did not miss her sensory input when absent, right? ;) I do agree with Hammer on one thing, though - it was BIG mistake to write her so anti-Data. I get it that they wanted to refer to the Spock-McCoy thing, but really, McCoy never called Spock "Spack" or whatever. It just came off insanely rude and it angered the fans, even if it happened in only three episodes. You just don't do something like that when you introduce a new character and want the fans to like her.

God, Sehlat, did you HAVE to post that pic? *shudder* :P

Hammer   

Maybe it lasted 3 episodes because they realized it was a mistake, and pulled back from it. The first impression was already made unfortunately. Yes, she was the same age as Stewart, and she probably could have pulled it off. They weren't giving McFadden much to do by that point, and Nemesis in general was a train-wreck anyway. I don't think that McFadden appealed to the 18-35 group much more than she did, and movies weren't on the radar in season 3. I just didn't think she was right for the role, and McFadden was only marginally better, if only because she had better on screen chemistry with Stewart. I would have preferred someone different than either of the two, but Stewart wanted McFadden and the rest is history.

The Next Gen movies were catered to fans of the TV series, not just 18-35's who weren't necessarily fans of any of the TV series who were looking for an action movie like Star Trek 2009 was. Even Spiner was showing his age by the end of that run, which is why he made the unfortunate decision to kill his character off. That 2009 cast was predominately 20 to early 30 somethings, and the producer definitely had demographics in mind.

The Pulaski vs. Data thing lasts exactly three episodes. I counted them. I mean Data hardly would have invited her to his farewell party in "The Measure Of A Man" if he did not miss her sensory input when absent, right? ;) I do agree with Hammer on one thing, though - it was BIG mistake to write her so anti-Data. I get it that they wanted to refer to the Spock-McCoy thing, but really, McCoy never called Spock "Spack" or whatever. It just came off insanely rude and it angered the fans, even if it happened in only three episodes. You just don't do something like that when you introduce a new character and want the fans to like her.

God, Sehlat, did you HAVE to post that pic? *shudder* :P

Because I'm evil... :laugh:

The Next Gen movies were catered to fans of the TV series, not just 18-35's who weren't necessarily fans of any of the TV series who were looking for an action movie like Star Trek 2009 was. Even Spiner was showing his age by the end of that run, which is why he made the unfortunate decision to kill his character off. That 2009 cast was predominately 20 to early 30 somethings, and the producer definitely had demographics in mind.

True.

Although if Data was killed off because he was (admittedly) looking older, why did they resurrect him with B-4?

But yes, I agree; Nemesis was a mess.

Zef'No   

I liked Pulaski, I just didn't not-like Beverly.

I don't see it as a one-or-the-other, I liked both for different reasons.

The stories that worked for Beverly wouldn't have worked for Pulaski and vice versa.

I laughed out loud in Where SIlence Has Lease where Data is magnifying the screen image with no visible results and Pulaski yells "It does know how to do these things, doesn't it?"

I don't think she was intentionally "mean" to Data, she was just ignorant. She didn't realise how "alive" he really was. - I think in all honesty, many of us would react in the same way to what is little more than a talking robot. Over time, she grew to respect and admire him, or at least, she would have done if she had stayed on the show.

And I think I saw a picture of Muldau giving an interview on the new Blu Ray disks; I don't know when it was filmed, but she looked pretty good there, probably better than she did in the show in fact.

Beverly never did anything significant in any of the films, so having a different doctor - or even none at all - wouldn't have made a difference either way.

It's an unfortunate truth that female characters weren't exactly a priority for the TNG writers, so, there's every chance they would have messed up Pulaski soon after season 2. (With Crusher, they didn't even TRY in the first place.) I'm also not sure if Muldaur would've taken the kind of writers' treatment that Sirtis and McFadden seemed to accept (grudgingly, but they DID accept it in the end, they complained, yes, but neither of them seriously threatened to leave the show over it or something) for their characters, so, who knows if she would actually have WANTED to stay that long.

I still say that Pulaski got more character development in one single season than Crusher got in six seasons AND four movies. (Was she even in them? I mean I'm glad we didn't get to see much of her, but still, my point is that everyone but Jean-Luc and Data was turned into a supporting or even only background character in the movies.)

We are pretty much the only ones in the entire FANDOM.

I've come round to liking her now I'm a bit older and (possibly) wiser. I know people get on her case for how she treats Data, but in a way that ties in quite well given we have the Maddox vs Data battle in Measure of a Man. So she wasn't all that friendly with Data at the start? So what? All they've done is show us people still have flaws and prejudices in the 24th century, but we also find out people can learn to get over them.

In time we see she realises the error of her ways and starts treating Data like a sentient being, albeit she can't resist setting him challenges, such as going up against Kolrami or Moriarty.

Aside from her stories with Data, we see her knowing, respecting and actively participation in events to do with Worf's Klingon heritage, we learn about Riker's childhood and his falling out with his father and still find time to have the odd personality clash with Picard.

Season Two might well have been a bit hit and miss with it's stories because of the writers' strike, but Pulaski showed us what writers could really do with a character if they could be bothered.

Even Guinan (another season two addition) wound up being more developed than some of the other characters, even if what we do find out about her leads to more questions than answers.

Edited by Starblind

Benedict   

I liked Pulaski, I just didn't not-like Beverly.

I don't see it as a one-or-the-other, I liked both for different reasons.

The stories that worked for Beverly wouldn't have worked for Pulaski and vice versa.

I laughed out loud in Where SIlence Has Lease where Data is magnifying the screen image with no visible results and Pulaski yells "It does know how to do these things, doesn't it?"

I don't think she was intentionally "mean" to Data, she was just ignorant. She didn't realise how "alive" he really was. - I think in all honesty, many of us would react in the same way to what is little more than a talking robot. Over time, she grew to respect and admire him, or at least, she would have done if she had stayed on the show.

And I think I saw a picture of Muldau giving an interview on the new Blu Ray disks; I don't know when it was filmed, but she looked pretty good there, probably better than she did in the show in fact.

Beverly never did anything significant in any of the films, so having a different doctor - or even none at all - wouldn't have made a difference either way.

even McFadden said she was redundant in Insurrection, chief point being where she shows Picard the tricorder readings that show the Ba'ku and Son'a are one and the same. First Contact she sort of has some weight as acting first officer but beyond sat on the bridge, nothing. Nemesis, needn't have bothered. She should've in theory as CMO gone over to the Schimitar with the landing party (for some reason Riker comes along rather than stay behind) and when Shinzon offers DNA...well, I guess it'd be too easy.

Pulaski seemed to vanish in TNG towards the end of season 2, or at least wasn't in it as much. Barely interchangable to Big Red.

Benedict   

It's an unfortunate truth that female characters weren't exactly a priority for the TNG writers, so, there's every chance they would have messed up Pulaski soon after season 2. (With Crusher, they didn't even TRY in the first place.) I'm also not sure if Muldaur would've taken the kind of writers' treatment that Sirtis and McFadden seemed to accept (grudgingly, but they DID accept it in the end, they complained, yes, but neither of them seriously threatened to leave the show over it or something) for their characters, so, who knows if she would actually have WANTED to stay that long.

I still say that Pulaski got more character development in one single season than Crusher got in six seasons AND four movies. (Was she even in them? I mean I'm glad we didn't get to see much of her, but still, my point is that everyone but Jean-Luc and Data was turned into a supporting or even only background character in the movies.)

Sort of glad there wasn't a further TNG movie. Lord knows what disaster it would've made of characters.

Sort of glad there wasn't a further TNG movie. Lord knows what disaster it would've made of characters.

The fact that Nemesis made even less money than STV (I think community theatre plays have grossed more) would seem to have sealed the TNG movies' fate...

Hammer   

The fact that Nemesis made even less money than STV (I think community theatre plays have grossed more) would seem to have sealed the TNG movies' fate...

Not saying Nemesis wasn't bad, because it was, but LotR The Two Towers opened 5 days after Nemesis premiered. Two Towers got all the hype, because it was a better movie. I think they left an opening in case they wanted to make another, like introducing B4, but once box office returns came in that was the end of that. I thought the end of next gen's run was anti-climatic, but after watching Nemesis it was easy to see that they were done. Insurrection was bad too, so the only surprise was that they managed to make a worse movie. I found this breakdown of Nemesis which points out how bad it was:

http://www.stardestroyer.net/Nemesis/Pictorial-1.html

We all know Nemesis never happened. XD lol As for the character mess, I agree with you, Mackenzie. I'm glad as well they stopped after Nemesis because Jean-Luc was nothing more than Sir Patrick in a Starfleet uniform. THAT was NOT my husband anymore. THAT was a parody of the worst kind.

To imagine that Nemesis was actually planned as the first part of a trilogy or something (hence the "A generation's final journey BEGINS" line) - the mind boggles at the mere thought of a sequel.

Zef'No   

It is a terrible shame though that the final outing of the TNG cast was so awful. Imagine if ST:V had been the final TOS movie? - At least they had the chance of redemption in ST:VI (which succeeded brilliantly).

I know there's no way in hell that another TNG movie will ever be made, but I do think this is probably the worst anti-climax in the history of Trek. Granted, the cast are old now and don't really appeal the casual movie fan, but they could have done something in the aftermath, even if it didn't have all the crew, or even if it was a TV movie direct-to-DVD... Perhaps Riker on the Titan for example..?

But too much water has passed under the bridge now. They waited too long to do Nemesis, and they gave up too soon when it was badly received.

If only it had been written and directed by people who knew Trek. If Brent Spinner was being difficult with demanding story credit or whatever, they should just have got rid of him. Focussing on other characters for a change would have been great.

Remember, nobody thought Leonard Nimoy would ever play Spock again, but he did for the 2009 movie. Perhaps in another decade or so we might see one of the TNG guys making a cameo on a new Trek project... We can always hope.

^

It was a VERY bad ending for my favorite Trek series indeed. But then, I'm pretty good at ignoring episodes and movies I despise, so, to me, TNG ended with First Contact. It is less aggravating that way. Still, you're right, of course, it really was a very bad ending for something that is loved so much by so many Trek fans. I hope they'll never touch TNG again with ANYTHING canon because... no. I don't want them to make an even bigger mess of it, and I fear they would do EXACTLY that these days. TNG had its time and I think it would be best if they just left it alone.

Hammer   

To imagine that Nemesis was actually planned as the first part of a trilogy or something (hence the "A generation's final journey BEGINS" line) - the mind boggles at the mere thought of a sequel.

Wow, they were going for a trilogy?

It is a terrible shame though that the final outing of the TNG cast was so awful. Imagine if ST:V had been the final TOS movie? - At least they had the chance of redemption in ST:VI (which succeeded brilliantly).

I know there's no way in hell that another TNG movie will ever be made, but I do think this is probably the worst anti-climax in the history of Trek. Granted, the cast are old now and don't really appeal the casual movie fan, but they could have done something in the aftermath, even if it didn't have all the crew, or even if it was a TV movie direct-to-DVD... Perhaps Riker on the Titan for example..?

But too much water has passed under the bridge now. They waited too long to do Nemesis, and they gave up too soon when it was badly received.

If only it had been written and directed by people who knew Trek. If Brent Spinner was being difficult with demanding story credit or whatever, they should just have got rid of him. Focussing on other characters for a change would have been great.

Remember, nobody thought Leonard Nimoy would ever play Spock again, but he did for the 2009 movie. Perhaps in another decade or so we might see one of the TNG guys making a cameo on a new Trek project... We can always hope.

It was a shame that they went out with Nemesis, and that Insurrection that preceded it was awful too. Generations was OK, I think Shatner's presence turned it from mediocre to marginally good. First Contact was good because it involved the main villain from the TV series, and showed the first warp flight to boot. It also had comedic moments on the surface with Cochrane, Troi getting drunk and Geordi not understanding what 'leak' was slang for. Although I wish we had got to see more of the late 21st century aside from a forest in the middle of nowhere. Picard got to be an action hero, and got to battle his demons left over from Wolf 359. That was the TNG high water mark.

Maybe what made it successful as a TV show wasn't so easy to translate to the big screen. It was an ensemble cast, with different episodes focusing on one character or another. Picard in the TV show wasn't some action hero, he was an intellectual. He preferred to let cooler heads prevail and to smooth over differences with diplomacy. Maybe that's what you (Mr Picard) meant when you say Sir Patrick was in Nemesis, not Picard. The antagonist wasn't to be reasoned with, so Picard's main strength wasn't needed. They got to give him something to do, so he's fighting in phaser combat for some unusual reason.

Will TNG crew ever make it into cameos on some future tv series? Yeah, I could see it, but maybe not for a while. I not sure they want to make a TV series in the 'prime' timeline while they are still producing movies for the alternate time-line. An alternate time-line series set around the time just after TNG would probably get some flack from the fans, but they would probably come around to it because it's that or nothing.

Could they do a TNG movie with a cast of 20 to 30 something actors playing the roles, just like they are doing now with TOS? I wouldn't be shocked, TNG was one of the top TV series of all time, it's just the actors that played the roles that aren't as marketable anymore.

Wow, they were going for a trilogy?

They were planning on at least a sequel, yes. It depended on the success of the first movie, though, and we all know how that one turned out. That's why there was B-4 - they WERE planning on doing something with him as well because we all know that TNG would have NEEDED Data in SOME form because the fans would have DEMANDED it. Data IS the most popular TNG character.

It was a shame that they went out with Nemesis, and that Insurrection that preceded it was awful too. Generations was OK, I think Shatner's presence turned it from mediocre to marginally good. First Contact was good because it involved the main villain from the TV series, and showed the first warp flight to boot. It also had comedic moments on the surface with Cochrane, Troi getting drunk and Geordi not understanding what 'leak' was slang for. Although I wish we had got to see more of the late 21st century aside from a forest in the middle of nowhere. Picard got to be an action hero, and got to battle his demons left over from Wolf 359. That was the TNG high water mark.

Maybe what made it successful as a TV show wasn't so easy to translate to the big screen. It was an ensemble cast, with different episodes focusing on one character or another. Picard in the TV show wasn't some action hero, he was an intellectual. He preferred to let cooler heads prevail and to smooth over differences with diplomacy. Maybe that's what you (Mr Picard) meant when you say Sir Patrick was in Nemesis, not Picard. The antagonist wasn't to be reasoned with, so Picard's main strength wasn't needed. They got to give him something to do, so he's fighting in phaser combat for some unusual reason.

Will TNG crew ever make it into cameos on some future tv series? Yeah, I could see it, but maybe not for a while. I not sure they want to make a TV series in the 'prime' timeline while they are still producing movies for the alternate time-line. An alternate time-line series set around the time just after TNG would probably get some flack from the fans, but they would probably come around to it because it's that or nothing.

Could they do a TNG movie with a cast of 20 to 30 something actors playing the roles, just like they are doing now with TOS? I wouldn't be shocked, TNG was one of the top TV series of all time, it's just the actors that played the roles that aren't as marketable anymore.

If they make a TNG reboot, I'll be out of the fandom once and for all. I wouldn't accept it, just as I haven't accepted or acknowledged Trek XI in ANY way. It would be the final thing that drives me away from Star Trek once and for all. I've never been a huge Trekkie in the first place, though, I only really care about TOS and TNG anyway. Still, a TNG reboot, to me, would be UTTER BLASPHEMY. I couldn't stand it. Call me an old stubborn man but I would NEVER accept ANYONE else as Jean-Luc Picard.

I absolutely agree with you on the problem of turning the TNG crew into a movie crew, by the way. They ALL weren't huge fighters. (Except Worf, of course. And maybe Yar. How ironic that they barely used Worf in the movies - the ONLY character for whom it would have made perfect sense to run into every possible action battle on the way.) And the captain preferred talking instead of shooting. They had no problems with TOS, Kirk and his fellas were all pretty much never saying no to a good fight (different times called for different attitudes) and thus the TOS movies were a continuation of the series, no character twisting needed. With TNG, not so much. Generations, as much as I dislike it, is pretty much the only TNG movie that still stays somewhat true to the original characters, especially with Jean-Luc. He was turned into an action hero for the movies and THAT is something I absolutely DESPISE. And seriously, the TNG series Jean-Luc telling Data to shut up at a WEDDING? No way. He was way too polite and proper and well-behaved for something like that. I can see SIR PATRICK doing something like this easily because he's a funny guy who just says random things without thinking. I can also perfectly see him driving dune buggies on a planet, screw the prime directive, let's have a cool car chase - but NOT Jean-Luc, as much as he seemed to like "AU-TO-MO-BILES" in "The Big Goodbye". I could write an entire essay on how they messed up Jean-Luc and how he basically became Sir Patrick in a Starfleet uniform in the movies after First Contact. (I deliberately left out First Contact. I consider it to be the best Trek movie and Jean-Luc is NOT himself because of the Borg. I can see why he does what he does. Completely. But everything that comes after First Contact is just one big Out-Of-Character-Fanboy-Written-Badfic-Disguised-As-A-Movie-Script IMO.)

^

It was a VERY bad ending for my favorite Trek series indeed. But then, I'm pretty good at ignoring episodes and movies I despise, so, to me, TNG ended with First Contact. It is less aggravating that way. Still, you're right, of course, it really was a very bad ending for something that is loved so much by so many Trek fans. I hope they'll never touch TNG again with ANYTHING canon because... no. I don't want them to make an even bigger mess of it, and I fear they would do EXACTLY that these days. TNG had its time and I think it would be best if they just left it alone.

You are wise, my friend.... :worthy:

Benedict   

A rebooted TNG might cause me to spit my pipe out. Unless Crusher was played by Amy Adams

Sign in to follow this