Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fish1941

How Would You Improve Next Generation?

128 posts in this topic

I saw a thread about how fans would improve "STAR TREK VOYAGER". This led me to wonder how these same fans would improve "STAR TREK: NEXT GENERATION". So, how would any of you do it? How would you improve "NEXT GENERATION". After all, it's certainly not perfect.

Deep Space 9 is easily my favorite Star Trek series, largely for its strong ensemble cast, as well as its story arcs. The Next Generation did not have the benefit of taking place in a stationary environment like DS9, so this type of continuity would have been difficult. Nevertheless, I thought the series was at its best when it made an effort to establish character and story arcs, as these provided continuity between different episodes, and even separate seasons of the series.

--Captain Sisko

I actually think TNG was pretty darn perfect. I likely wouldn't change a thing, except maybe to have retained Ron Jones, and maybe made the 7th season a bit more exciting. But all in all, TNG was pretty perfect, IMO... even the first and second seasons. And I stand by that. IMO, the 3rd and 4th seasons of TNG were probably the best two seasons of any of the Trek series.

Overall, Next Generation was a strong series, I have a few quibbles but that's about it.

Season One had some growing pains. The writers didn't really nail down his Data character right away, showing emotions, getting 'drunk' etc. There was some weak episodes, Skin of Evil and Code of Honor stick out in the first season. The weakest episode of the entire run was Samaritan Snare though, and that didn't come until next season. There was just moronic writing in that episode, but I digress... In the first season, they seemed to be hinting at an affair between Dr Crusher and Picard, and that Wesley was Picard's son. They later backed off that, Crusher and Picard were just good friends, and Wesley's father was killed. I felt that was kind of meh. The Ferengi were not fleshed out, and were comical as the enemy.

I didn't like Dr Pulaski. They tried to recreate the Spock-McCoy rivalry by having Pulaski pick on Data, but since he couldn't take shots at her due to being an android, it felt like bullying. They spent too much time in season 2 developing her character, just to bring Crusher back in season 3. The finale for season 2 was laughable, a clip-show in Star Trek? When you're producing Sci-fi on a budget, episodes like that happen.

When this show hit it's stride around 3rd season, it was really good until season 6. Season 7 felt like they were running low on ideas, and there was little movement towards wrapping up the series or loose threads from previous seasons. The series finale was among one of the best episodes in the run though. I liked the Q episodes, he played well off of Picard, but it's good that they didn't overuse Q. I enjoyed the Klingon internal strife episodes as well, a lot more insight into how they operate.

It would have been nice to see the Battle of Wolf 359 on screen, but it was too expensive. I felt that the budget limited some of the stories. Much of the time, it's the Enterprise and another ship parked in space somewhere. The enemies fired off insults over the comm rather than weapons most of the time. I think that if the series was made a couple decades later, the special effects costs wouldn't have limited the story telling so much.

^

To be fair, "The Menagerie" was pretty much a clip show.

It was, but "The Cage" wasn't aired until 1988, so the material would have been fresh at the time. "Shades of Grey" took clips from episodes already aired. They did that episode on the cheap because they got extra money to do "Elementary, Dear Data" and "Q Who" and because of the writer's strike.

"Samaritan Snare" just had bad writing. Troi senses danger, saying ''I don't sense fear or confusion. Geordi is in danger. Bring him back,'' but no one listens to her. Worf asks 'Do we have to send them our chief engineer because they have a little problem?', and no one has a good answer. Also, the medical facility Picard goes to for his 'routine operation' isn't equipped to deal with complications from the operation, and Pulaski has to come to the rescue.

There were plenty of good, well written episodes though to make up for the bad ones to make a strong series overall. The movies though were a mixed bag. I liked First Contact and Generations, but in Insurrection I felt almost like the crew were on the wrong side of the conflict. They were putting the special interests of a small group of 600 over billions, and I thought that Picard's motivation for defying Star Fleet was weak. Nemesis was the weakest though, and it's too bad they went out that way.

The finale for season 2 was laughable, a clip-show in Star Trek? When you're producing Sci-fi on a budget, episodes like that happen.

To be fair, there was a writers' strike on during that episode, hence the low episode count. I think they started production before the strike. It's a shame really, because the start of the episode had good potential.

I actually think there have been a few worse episodes than "Shades of Grey". I found a lot of the "repetitive" episodes extremely annoying, like "Clues", or "Cause and Effect"... any episode where the crew is affected by something, and has to repeat the same scenario over and over, and over again. it got extremely irritating with "Cause and Effect", IMO, because it was just drawn out for so long, and repeated so many times. I'd rather sit through "Shades of Grey" any day, than have to watch "Cause and Effect". Just my own opinion, of course.

I actually think there have been a few worse episodes than "Shades of Grey". I found a lot of the "repetitive" episodes extremely annoying, like "Clues", or "Cause and Effect"... any episode where the crew is affected by something, and has to repeat the same scenario over and over, and over again. it got extremely irritating with "Cause and Effect", IMO, because it was just drawn out for so long, and repeated so many times. I'd rather sit through "Shades of Grey" any day, than have to watch "Cause and Effect". Just my own opinion, of course.

I found "Clues" implausible. Eventually they would have figured out again, like when they got back to a starbase, that they were missing a couple of days. There would be too many clues to hide them all. Once they were out of range of the planet, there would be no reason to continue the charade. The conflict between Picard and Data was rare (outside of ribbing he'd sometimes give him over rambling), which salvaged the episode for me.

"Cause and Effect" was confusing. Why would the Bozeman be in the loop for 90 years if the Enterprise was only in it for 17 days? How did they keep getting thrown back without the Enterprise to collide into? If the Enterprise had burned 17 days going through the loop over and over again, wouldn't they have gotten regular comm traffic in the meantime from starfleet and realized the temporal anomaly and that their chronometers were out of sync? Time travel in general seemed to have changing rules as the various series went on. Sometimes there was only one universe, one timeline, and time cops from the future would step in to enforce the temporal prime directive. In other episodes, it seemed that a new universe was created for every possible choice, like in "Parallels" or more controversially, Star Trek 2009. I wouldn't mind seeing a new series set far in the future based around the time ships which would clear this up.

Nemesis never happened

As far as I'm concerned, neither did Enterprise the series.

How I would improve TNG:

* Fire Dr. Crusher (permanently) after season one; in fact, I'd say she died in a horrific transporter accident so she could never EVER come back to the show.

She is my least favorite doctor in all of ST, and the actress (Gates McFadden, who I'm sure is a wonderful person in real life) never convinced me that she could administer a flu shot without f**king it up somehow. She'd probably sew my a$$ shut by mistake if I had the misfortune to wind up on her operating table. Has an annoying habit of letting patients escape from her sickbay or her care (Geordi in "Naked Now" "Lily" in "First Contact"). She almost declared Worf DEAD because she wasn't up on Klingon anatomy ("Ethics"). She lets her personal beliefs and ethics interfere with her judgment ("Ethics" again). Accidentally makes the ENTIRE CREW devolve into primitive life forms because she screwed up Reginald Barclay's treatment (she could've scanned his DNA for any anomalies before she gave him a treatment that created 'Barclay's protomorphosis syndrome'). Seriously, like our own Mr. Picard? I am NO lover of Dr. Crusher....

:soapbox:

* Bring back Catherine Pulaski. Now THERE was a doctor... and a hell of a lady, too! She knew her stuff. :thumbup:

* Cast a memorable engineer beginning in season one (season one had 'chief engineer of the week'; McDougall, Lynch, Argyle, etc. None of them any good, either). I like Geordi alright, but he never seemed to have the passion for the job that Scotty, Trip, O'Brien or even Torres had. Geordi seemed like a white collar guy stuck in a blue collar job; it was a stepping stone to him, not a life's passion. Too bad....

* Make the role of the first officer CLEAR. He leads the landing parties and Picard STAYS on the bloody ship. If Picard beams down to hazardous missions every week, then Riker is a third boob or a fifth wheel. I would like to see him REFUSE to let Picard beam down somewhere, but he never does....

* Get rid of counselor Troi. She is one element that truly dates TNG (even worse than TOS, IMO). Her constant "I'm OK, you're OK" '80s self-help platitudes are truly vomit inducing. She reminds me of one of those stupid couples retreats that they used to have a lot here in California back in the '70s.

* You have families aboard.... but we rarely see ANY of them! First, like Picard, I question the wisdom of sending families in harm's way like that (see: Jennifer Sisko in DS9, "Emissary"), but if you're going to open your ship up to home life? Then for gods' sake, SHOW it. Where are the ships' schoolteachers? Or community organizers? Or where are the family members who don't like life on a spaceship? DS9 did a MUCH better job of balancing home/work life (the Sisko men, the O'Briens, Quark, his brother Rom and his family, even Kira and Odo later on). TNG's writers never seemed to have a grasp of how to believably write domesticated couple or family scenarios. They came off like they were written by 14 year old boys. DS9's family lives seem far more believable.

* Forget seasons one and two ever happened and begin season 3 as sort of a second pilot.

There are other things I can think of I'm sure, but these are the things that pop into my pea brain at the moment... ;)

Edited by Sehlat Vie

I agree with the whole 'get Crusher off the ship immediately' idea. She served no real purpose other than being an incompetent doctor who imposed her own set of ethical rules and values on every single alien species she had to treat - and to constantly nag at the captain because "JEAN-LUUUUUUUUUUUUUUC YOU CAN'T DOOOO THIS WHA WHA WHAAAA". I don't get why Sir Patrick demanded to have her back for the 3rd season. Gene was right when he realized that her character was going nowhere at the end of season 1 and he should have resisted both the lame Picard/Crusher shipper fans and Sir Patrick's demands to bring Crusher back. She went nowhere in season 1 and went nowhere in season 7. She is the ONLY main character who remains completely the same. No development, no improvement, no depth, no nothing. Even Troi had more character development and she is pretty weak in that regard, too. Honestly, watch "Encounter At Farpoint" and then watch "All Good Things..." - she is EXACTLY the SAME character, the SAME 'holier-than-thou' attitude, the SAME faces, the SAME kind of lines, the SAME nothingness.

I do disagree with getting rid of seasons 1 and 2, though. My favorites! Let's get rid of basically 95% of season 7 instead. :P

We DO see teachers, we DO see classes, we DO see kids, though. The O'Briens show up for the first time on the Enterprise-D, too. That's even one point some people like to be critical about - too many brats in too many episodes. I also question the wisdom of having families aboard a starship UNLESS it's during ABSOLUTELY peaceful times but the writers probably thought it would give them more story opportunities. I've always assumed that family members who DON'T like life aboard a starship don't come aboard in the first place... ;) While I do agree that the family ideas of the TNG writers were lame, stereotypical and incredibly sexist, we DID see more kids and families than we probably wanted on various occasions.

As for LaForge... sure, he ain't no Montgomery Scott. Agreed on that one. But then, he WAS in command red for the entire first season, he was put in command of the ship in "The Arsenal of Freedom" and he did a good job, too. He WAS aiming for a command career and then they noticed that he's quite an engineer, too. They had various chief engineers (at least Argyle wasn't THAT bad, IMO) and then the writers themselves noticed that someone 'permanent' was needed in engineering, so, they made LaForge the chief engineer. The only other option would've been Worf (lol) but he was the most logical and most excellent choice for Chief of Security already, and introducing both a new chief engineer AND a doctor in season 2 would probably have messed things up too much. And besides, where to go with LaForge then? He was quite an essential part of the crew but both command positions were occupied by Jean-Luc and Riker and there simply wouldn't have been a lot of room for LaForge otherwise.

I also agree about the Riker issue. They did very well with the whole Jean-Luc and Riker thing in the first two seasons but when they realized that Data was more popular than Riker, they slowly began to replace Riker with Data, which resulted in the Ultimate Picard & Data Show that was Nemesis where Riker had a lame wedding and a fight above a bottomless pit on a deck that doesn't exist. That's how far the whole thing went. Even in the movies they made Riker the one who got the sub plots while Jean-Luc and Data got the prime storyline. It would have made more sense to transfer Riker off the ship (please take Troi with you) and turn Data into the first officer AND science officer, same as Spock was. The way they handled this was not very wise, IMO. That's another reason why I prefer seasons 1 and 2 - the Picard/Riker dynamic is MUCH stronger and Riker objects on more than one occasion when Jean-Luc wants to beam down. One might argue that this is because he is young and enthusiastic and wants to protect his captain but nah, he's doing his duty. That's why Jean-Luc asks for him, after all - because Riker actually refused to let his former captain beam down during a crisis situation and Jean-Luc likes officers who stick by their opinions, even if it goes against the one of the captain. Later on the show Riker just becomes some kind of background character with the occasional random planet chick episode - he's the FIRST OFFICER, ffs, but never mind...

OK, we could lose 95% of season 7 instead. Sounds like a fair trade.... :P

As for my families aboard the ship comment? Yes, we did SEE them, but they were more like end tables than integral parts of the stories. The only exception to that may have been Ron Moore's brilliant first script, "The Bonding." The only one that used the whole families-onboard-the-ship concept maturely and wisely.

I have no problem with LaForge as a good command officer, but I question his passion as an engineer, that's all (seems Data would've been far better suited to that task than LaForge, but it would've taken him off the bridge and no one wanted that, I'm sure...).

And yes, Crusher stunk. If she'd been a 21st century doctor? House would've eaten her bones for breakfast. Not to mention that her malpractice insurance would've been through the roof! She'd have to perform 12 surgeries a day just to keep up with it....

How I would improve TNG:

* Fire Dr. Crusher (permanently) after season one...

* Cast a memorable engineer beginning in season one ...

* Make the role of the first officer CLEAR. ...

* Get rid of counselor Troi. ...

If I may summarise, I think the problem in TNG is that there were too many characters and none of them were particularly well defined. The other series had this problem too (except DS9).

It was a mistake to create the position of "First Officer" that basically did nothing but deputise for the Captain. In TOS, Spock had his own job, a specific role that he did in addition to his position as executive officer, but Riker didn't. So there's no interest there, nothing for the character to do. He leads away teams but that's it.

And, while there might be a certain logic to having a councillor on the ship, there is none whatsoever is having her on the bridge. Again, there's absolutely nothing for her to do.

In the first season, neither Worf nor Geordi were particularly busy either, and the later seasons proved the show worked fine without a regular helmsman.

TNG only needed a maximum of about 6 different positions, but they started off with 9!

Add to that the problem that everyone was essentially the same basic character; perfect Starfleet officers who had graduated from the academy, and served on few other ships before the Enterprise. It never really mattered who said what lines.

I don't think Crusher was that bad though. Gates was never a particularly good actress (her "performance" in season one was cringe-worthy), but she had compassion and a potentially interesting past with Picard, although it was a shame they never really did much with that other than keep repeating the fact that it existed. Remember Me is one of the best episodes of the series (although, as I said above, it would have worked equally well with anyone else as the lead character).

Both her and Troi suffered more from the producers/writers attitude towards women than anything else. They never really let the women do much other than talk about their feelings. In the rare episodes when they do actually get something interesting to do (Troi in Face of the Enemy, Crusher in Descent), they generally do it quite well.

I wouldn't want to get rid of season 1, 2 or 7 though. Each of them have their own charm, and season 7 is one of my favourites (some great episodes in there).

I wasn't really against Dr Crusher, but there have been some valid points made here and I'm starting to rethink that.

I don't think Crusher was that bad though. Gates was never a particularly good actress (her "performance" in season one was cringe-worthy), but she had compassion and a potentially interesting past with Picard, although it was a shame they never really did much with that other than keep repeating the fact that it existed.

In season one, the hints were being dropped that Wesley was in fact Picard's son. The first time he was allowed on the bridge really comes to mind. When they backed off that storyline, and went with having Picard's orders which lead to his father's death, I thought it was a cop-out and I was disappointed.

Bring back Catherine Pulaski. Now THERE was a doctor... and a hell of a lady, too! She knew her stuff.

Yeah well they could have written Dr Crusher as coming off more competently too. I think season two spent too much time focusing on Dr Pulaski, and in her first episode she was involved in both the 'A' and 'B' plots. Near the end of the season, they hinted at a past history between Picard and Pulaski too. In Samaritan Snare, Picard refused to allow Pulaski to operate on him, while Pulaski thinks he's being petty. Dr Pulaski was also involved with Riker's dad. That woman really got around! Samaritan Snare was so badly written, I guess I can let that go, because it wasn't referenced in any other episode.

What bothered me about Pulaski was that she was too much of a McCoy clone. A wizard of a doctor, not afraid to get in the captain's face, and her one-sided badgering of Data was similar to the McCoy-Spock rivalry, except Spock wasn't afraid to get into it with McCoy while Data just didn't feel the need to defend himself. Also, so much of Season Two was spent on developing her character, and she was gone from the show, never to be seen or heard from again. This caused Season Two to feel like a waste of time, and I think is why it didn't feel like this got into it's zone until Season Three.

I also question the wisdom of having families aboard a starship UNLESS it's during ABSOLUTELY peaceful times but the writers probably thought it would give them more story opportunities. I've always assumed that family members who DON'T like life aboard a starship don't come aboard in the first place...

The problem was that Enterprise was supposed to be everything to everyone. It was the Federation's flag ship, the most powerful ship of the fleet, but at times it resembled a cruise ship. The ship had an identity crisis, was it a ship of war or a family-oriented apartment building in space? About the only thing it wasn't thought of as was a colony ship, because large-scale evacuations always required back-up. Was it a deep space ship meant for extended missions, or was it intended to stay within commuting distance of Earth? They always seemed to be in Earth's proximity, at least within range of sub-space radio, so why bring the family on board ship at all? They would have consumed a lot of ship's power without contributing anything to the operation of the ship. If the ship was more streamlined, with essential personnel on board only, it would have been less bulky and wasteful.

Geordi seemed like a white collar guy stuck in a blue collar job; it was a stepping stone to him, not a life's passion. Too bad....

O'Brien would have worked for the role I think. Next Gen was a bit too top-heavy to have Geordi climb the ladder.

Make the role of the first officer CLEAR. He leads the landing parties and Picard STAYS on the bloody ship. If Picard beams down to hazardous missions every week, then Riker is a third boob or a fifth wheel. I would like to see him REFUSE to let Picard beam down somewhere, but he never does....

Picard needed to get some of the spotlight, like Kirk, although he wasn't really the Gorn-fighting type. He was more of the talk it over calmly and diplomatically while sipping tea type. Riker did strongly protest Picard's beaming down, but there was nothing he could do to stop it. Riker's character could have easily been the anchor of his own spin-off series, maybe Riker instead of Sisko or Janeway? But on Next Gen, he was over shadowed by Picard and became redundant.

And, while there might be a certain logic to having a councillor on the ship, there is none whatsoever is having her on the bridge. Again, there's absolutely nothing for her to do.

A ship with this many families on board, you'd think she'd spend more time doing appointments in her office rather than spending the majority of her time on the bridge. I thought her abilities were too over-powered too, being able to sense emotions from orbit or on another ship. If they toned that down, and made her an excellent body-language reader, it would have worked better. I didn't like that she was constantly out of uniform on the bridge. It was always 'casual Friday' for her.

Both her and Troi suffered more from the producers/writers attitude towards women than anything else. They never really let the women do much other than talk about their feelings. In the rare episodes when they do actually get something interesting to do (Troi in Face of the Enemy, Crusher in Descent), they generally do it quite well.

It's a Gene Roddenberry thing, he came off as sexist and did a poor job developing female characters. Watching TOS, it seems like attitudes were stuck in the 1950's.

In the first season, neither Worf nor Geordi were particularly busy either, and the later seasons proved the show worked fine without a regular helmsman.

There were casting issues in season one for sure. Tasha Yar did not suit the role of security chief. At least she didn't end up as ship's councillor as originally planned. Worf should have had the security chief job all along.

They did very well with the whole Jean-Luc and Riker thing in the first two seasons but when they realized that Data was more popular than Riker, they slowly began to replace Riker with Data, which resulted in the Ultimate Picard & Data Show that was Nemesis where Riker had a lame wedding and a fight above a bottomless pit on a deck that doesn't exist.

Riker was redundant and over-shadowed, while Data's quest for humanity became an interesting angle, like it did for The Doctor on Voyager. The way the character's were used or not used, I'm not surprised that Data eclipsed Riker later on in the series.

Later on the show Riker just becomes some kind of background character with the occasional random planet chick episode - he's the FIRST OFFICER, ffs, but never mind...

He was becoming like Kirk, a skirt chaser. Another TOS parallel that they were trying to push. Riker was like Kirk, Data was like Spock, Pulaski was like McCoy, Laforge was a miracle worker like Scotty, minus Scotty's ego.

How I would improve TNG:

* Fire Dr. Crusher (permanently) after season one; in fact, I'd say she died in a horrific transporter accident so she could never EVER come back to the show.

She is my least favorite doctor in all of ST, and the actress (Gates McFadden, who I'm sure is a wonderful person in real life) never convinced me that she could administer a flu shot without f**king it up somehow. She'd probably sew my a$$ shut by mistake if I had the misfortune to wind up on her operating table. Has an annoying habit of letting patients escape from her sickbay or her care (Geordi in "Naked Now" "Lily" in "First Contact"). She almost declared Worf DEAD because she wasn't up on Klingon anatomy ("Ethics"). She lets her personal beliefs and ethics interfere with her judgment ("Ethics" again). Accidentally makes the ENTIRE CREW devolve into primitive life forms because she screwed up Reginald Barclay's treatment (she could've scanned his DNA for any anomalies before she gave him a treatment that created 'Barclay's protomorphosis syndrome'). Seriously, like our own Mr. Picard? I am NO lover of Dr. Crusher....

:soapbox:

no lover of Crusher? No kidding. :biggrin:

Makes you wonder how she became head of Medical. Must be some sort of punishment for incompetent hacks. Can only hope Katherine Pulaski suffered some similar fate before retiring to that place Scotty was going to :)

as for improving the series

TNG could've cut the role of doctor entirely. Be interesting how a show could go without a major posting being a major role. Whole episodes Crusher barely featured so it could've been done. Give Worf more to do from the start, eliminate Tasha entirely. Eliminate Deanna, useless entirely.

Make Picard British to begin with so we don't have the pretence of a Frenchman with a very English accent. Sort of like Diane Carey's view on Picard.

Keep Riker the man of action, keep Ron Jones to the end of the series, give Shelby something more to do, cut down on the techno babble, kill another major character and eliminate Wesley entirely. Eliminate the flim-flan Crusher/Picard nonsense. Give Riker the past romance, emphasise and go with it.

Otherwise I don't see too much wrong with TNG. Considering it was the first non-TOS Trek it did the job adequately. The ruin came after the series with the movies.

Hammer's comment on the TOS parallels is spot on. One reason more to dislike Pulaski, McCoy in a skirt.

Have to disagree about Pulaski being a McCoy clone; there is validity to that viewpoint (her distrust of Data for one), but I thought the actress played it more 'tough, worldly New Yorker lady" than crusty, earthy, country doctor. There were similarities, but only superficially so IMO; the actress more than differentiated the two characters. A similar argument could be made of Riker and Kirk, for that matter. Or Data and Spock.

I would've liked to see her and Data as an arc; an initial mistrust, some ups and downs throughout their time together and ultimately by the near-end of the series they could be best friends, ala Bashir and O'Brien. It could've been an interesting arc; far more so than Crusher and Picard's boring romantic 'will-they-or-won't-they' nonsense.

And I very much agree with MacKenzie's comment about Picard; a 'proud' Frenchman who loves Dickens & Shakespeare, talks like a Londoner and sips only Earl Gray?

Bullocks! ;)

I think Picard managed a few 'merde's in the first season.

As for Pulaski, I wonder if a younger woman would've worked. Sort of like a female Bashir minus the genetics...and er, TNG based. I guess...to some, the anti-Crusher. Bright, (still attractive), craggy, obsessed with Data.

"Good, go with that...explore."

Have to disagree about Pulaski being a McCoy clone; there is validity to that viewpoint (her distrust of Data for one), but I thought the actress played it more 'tough, worldly New Yorker lady" than crusty, earthy, country doctor. There were similarities, but only superficially so IMO; the actress more than differentiated the two characters. A similar argument could be made of Riker and Kirk, for that matter. Or Data and Spock.

I would've liked to see her and Data as an arc; an initial mistrust, some ups and downs throughout their time together and ultimately by the near-end of the series they could be best friends, ala Bashir and O'Brien. It could've been an interesting arc; far more so than Crusher and Picard's boring romantic 'will-they-or-won't-they' nonsense.

And I very much agree with MacKenzie's comment about Picard; a 'proud' Frenchman who loves Dickens & Shakespeare, talks like a Londoner and sips only Earl Gray?

Bullocks! ;)

There were parallels, but that doesn't mean they outright resurrected McCoy's character as Pulaski. Sure, they were from different backgrounds, we saw this in 'Elementary, Dear Data', she was not a southerner. A lot of McCoy's character traits however were re-used by Pulaski. As we saw by the blatantly recycled episodes especially early on in the series, the producers weren't above recycling plots, so why not character traits and old conflicts too?

Also, I don't see how Data and Pulaski would have ever been that close. Data didn't require medical attention, and there wasn't much Pulaski could have gotten out of Data that she couldn't have gotten out of the ship's computer. She never would have seen him as much more than a product of brilliant programming, despite his sentient legal status. There wouldn't have been much excuse to get these two together. At least with McCoy-Spock, McCoy started to respect the Vulcan logic he loathed earlier on, while Spock needed medical attention and respected McCoy's skill, especially after 'Amok Time'. The Pulaski-Data rivalry was going nowhere as a plot device, and at worst came off bully-ish, which is why it irritated me.

As for Pulaski, I wonder if a younger woman would've worked. Sort of like a female Bashir minus the genetics...and er, TNG based. I guess...to some, the anti-Crusher. Bright, (still attractive), craggy, obsessed with Data.

Maybe... Muldaur was a holdover from TOS, and quite attractive in her prime during TOS's run. I didn't buy a Picard-Pulaski pairing though while Picard-Crusher was more plausible. Picard's range seemed to be late 30's - early 40's, possibly because he secretly wanted children.

As for Picard as an very English sounding and acting Frenchman, yeah I found that amusing too. To be fair though, this was supposed to be the era of a unified world government. There probably wouldn't have been the red tape around immigration there would be today. His family could have acquired land in France as easily as they could have in the English countryside, so I don't find that too hard to believe.

I think Picard managed a few 'merde's in the first season.

"Good, go with that...explore."

Data has enough groupies.... :laugh::P

Bullocks! ;)

There were parallels, but that doesn't mean they outright resurrected McCoy's character as Pulaski. Sure, they were from different backgrounds, we saw this in 'Elementary, Dear Data', she was not a southerner. A lot of McCoy's character traits however were re-used by Pulaski. As we saw by the blatantly recycled episodes especially early on in the series, the producers weren't above recycling plots, so why not character traits and old conflicts too?

Also, I don't see how Data and Pulaski would have ever been that close. Data didn't require medical attention, and there wasn't much Pulaski could have gotten out of Data that she couldn't have gotten out of the ship's computer. She never would have seen him as much more than a product of brilliant programming, despite his sentient legal status. There wouldn't have been much excuse to get these two together. At least with McCoy-Spock, McCoy started to respect the Vulcan logic he loathed earlier on, while Spock needed medical attention and respected McCoy's skill, especially after 'Amok Time'. The Pulaski-Data rivalry was going nowhere as a plot device, and at worst came off bully-ish, which is why it irritated me.

Maybe... Muldaur was a holdover from TOS, and quite attractive in her prime during TOS's run. I didn't buy a Picard-Pulaski pairing though while Picard-Crusher was more plausible. Picard's range seemed to be late 30's - early 40's, possibly because he secretly wanted children.

As for Picard as an very English sounding and acting Frenchman, yeah I found that amusing too. To be fair though, this was supposed to be the era of a unified world government. There probably wouldn't have been the red tape around immigration there would be today. His family could have acquired land in France as easily as they could have in the English countryside, so I don't find that too hard to believe.

As the son of a father who was born in France? I did.... :laugh:

As for Data/Pulaski not becoming closer? That's what the challenge could've been for the writers; to bring these two together. Both were charismatic people; I still think it could've worked, but oh well.... We'll never know because people seemed more happy with Dr. Dumber--er, Crusher. :P

And I thought I was alone in thinking that Muldaur was quite attractive for a more mature lady. I'm not perving or crushing on her (of course, now I'm MUCH closer to the age she was in TNG so it wouldn't be creepy, but that's not important right now.... :angel_not: ). I just think that she seemed like a better doctor (or better written doctor) and she had more potential opportunities for character development besides falling in love with Jean Luc....

I liked her independence, her feistiness and her dignity, too.

To be fair, I actually would've liked it if Pulaski and Jean-Luc had become an item. And if I like Jean-Luc with someone other than me, it's gotta be REALLY good. :P

"And, Doctor? God knows I'm not one to discourage input but I would appreciate it if you'd let me finish my sentences ONCE IN A WHILE."

I mean can't you see the love? :P

To be fair, I actually would've liked it if Pulaski and Jean-Luc had become an item. And if I like Jean-Luc with someone other than me, it's gotta be REALLY good. :P

"And, Doctor? God knows I'm not one to discourage input but I would appreciate it if you'd let me finish my sentences ONCE IN A WHILE."

I mean can't you see the love? :P

I wouldn't have had too big an issue with Pulaski and Picard hooking up, but it would've been weird; considering the implied relationship with Riker's dad too ("Icarus"). Would've made the proud, feisty, opinionated CMO look more like the ship's entertainment. I think it's nice to have a doctor who ISN'T mooning over the captain for a change, really. Besides, she'd be much better off with Worf....

:thumbup::laugh:

Now if YOU became the ship's CMO, Mr. Picard? You can moon over Picard all you like..... :happy::laugh:

I would not moon over him, I'd simply ask him out and be done with it. :P Same goes for how Pulaski would handle it. She's the direct type as well. But then, yes, if I ask him out, NO ONE else will dare do the same ever again. Preciousssss Jean-Luc is preciousssss.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0